Flamingo Hilton, Las Vegas

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Bugsy Siegel's desert dream

by kris-t Updated Dec 8, 2012

Margaritaville Casino at the Flamingo

The Flamingo is not the high end hotel, it looks very old and worn but located right in the middle of the Strip and the price is unbeatable.

It was the 3rd resort to open on the Strip (1946), and now days it's the oldest resort on the Strip still in operation.

This Hotel has 3,626 rooms and 77,000 sq ft (7,200 m2) casino, it's garden courtyard housing a wildlife habitat which featuring flamingos.

Note: Bugsy Siegel (1906-1947) was an American gangster and a major driving force behind large-scale development of the Las Vegas Valley.

• solopes's Profile Photo

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

Las Vegas - USA

I looked at the flamingos, and thought: - They must be suffering under this 42 degrees Celsius in the shade. Then I looked further and saw... the penguins!

Well done dolls, I thought! But... they were moving. They were real. Looking closer, the inevitable: all the lake and rocks were refrigerated.

Indeed, the real animals give life to a well conceived garden, surrounding the several pools, to provide a pleasant stay.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Flamingo Wildlife Habitat - Free

by Yaqui Updated Mar 17, 2012

Flamingos

This is a lovely way to stroll along a path and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you. This wildlife habitat, consist of flamingos, swans, ducks, Kio and turtles. Each creature is in his or hers authentic environment and the plants have been imported here from all around the world. Another wonderful aspect is the spectacular waterfalls grace most of the lush pool areas. Penguin feeding daily at 3:00 pm.

Pools here consist of being surrounded by 15 acres of lush tropical landscapes. What we saw looks really cool and fun. Each of the pools connects by using a water slides to get to the next one and some offer some pretty spectacular waterfalls.

This place is even more beautiful at night, but be careful.

• Favzoz's Profile Photo

The Gardens at the Flamingo

by Favzoz Written Mar 10, 2012
    Flamingo Hotel and Casino

The Flamingo has a very nice Wildlife Habitat where you can meander and get away from the frenzy of activity on The Strip while you're on The Strip. It's a lovely area, with flamingos and various other birds and plants that make it quite relaxing. There's also an area between the pool and a wedding chapel with a memorial plaque to Bugsy Siegel who originally founded the hotel, with a bit of information/history about him and the hotel. Interestingly odd, in such a setting. But part of the history.

• Benson35's Profile Photo

NEW Margaritaville casino @ the Flamingo Oct 2011

by Benson35 Updated Jan 20, 2012

Being a Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville fan, I was SO excited when I discovered the casino!! I had the morning to myself (the four of us travelling all wanted to do different things) and I'd planned to meet my sister at Margaritaville for a few cocktails before we met up with Mum & Dad.
    We walked in to the casino from the strip and were overjoyed! The atmosphere that we love so much about the Margaritaville bar and resturant was emulated in this casino.
    If you know some of Jimmy Buffet's songs you will be able to see where the ideas have come from - It's 5 o'clock somewhere (the Alan Jackson hit feturing Jimmy Buffet) is heavily featured, which is great for me!!

'Pour me something tall and strong, make it a hurricane before I go insane. It's only half past 10, but I don't care . . . . it's 5 o'clock somewhere.' Sorry got carried away singing!!!

Great slots, all the newest around and plenty of tables. It's not as big as other casino's, but it does lead directly in the Flamingo casino, so you won't get bored any time soon.

Give it a go - it's a good fun! And have a cocktail for me!!

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Flamingo Las Vegas (formerly a Hilton)

by machomikemd Written Oct 6, 2011
    the flamingo

The flamingo was one of the Pioneers of the Las Vegas Gambling Circuit and traces it's history to the early 40's. Remember Bugsy Siegel? (the famous mobster in the 40's), he made the joint popular but it went bust and he got whacked by his associates. The Casino actually got it's name from Siegel's then Girlfriend who was nicknamed "FLAMINGO". Since then, the casino had several ownership changes and in Hilton had the longest but they sold it in 2005 to Harrah's Entertainment (which became Ceasar's Entertainment). Since the 1940's, the flamingo had several renovations the last was in 2009 and at present, it has 3,626 rooms and has a 77,000 square feet of gaming space that has Blackjack, Blazing Sevens, Caribbean Stud Poker, Craps, Million-dollar Keno, Let It Ride, Pai Gow Poker, Poker, Roulette, 2,100 Slots, Megabucks and Super Megabucks.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

The neon lights of the Flamingo Hilton

by joiwatani Written Sep 23, 2011
    The neon lights of Flamingo Hotel

Besides the gambling, why is Las Vegas very popular and unique? I guess, the neon lights! These are absolutely mesmerizing at night! I just love getting on top of the double decker bus and tour around the Las Vegas Boulevard.

The first time I was here, I love watching the flickering lights of the neon lights. Each and every hotel has a different style. The best one that I like are the neon lights of the Flamingo Hotel. If you go to Las Vegas, you will then agree with me. Or may be not.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Flamingo Gardens

by clueless83 Written Mar 10, 2009

Flamingos

One of the nice (and importantly, FREE) things to do in Vegas is to take a little stroll around the Flamingo gardens where a flock of pretty pink Chilean flamingos reside along with an assortment of other birds, fish and turtles.

I'm a big fan of furry and feathered friends so this was right up my street. If you have a phobia of birds though (as one of my friends does) I wouldn't advise it as the birds are all free roaming.

• Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism

• Christlike's Profile Photo

Wildlife Habitat at the Flamingo

by Christlike Updated Jan 21, 2009

Another free attraction for your Vegas trip. I thought this habitat was okay. There are more than 300 birds (Chilean Flamingos, African Penguins, Swans, and Ducks). There are also Koi and Turtles there too. It's great to see once. If you really want to be blown away, go to Sea World in San Diego, CA. This habitat is located where the pools are. The Flamingo says that the habitat is opened 24-hours a day, but actually they put the animals away at night. So don't visit it at night! The penguins are fed daily at 8:25am & 2:55pm!
    ___________________

• Zoo

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Loved the Flamingo's wildlife habitat!

by Jefie Updated Dec 14, 2008

The Flamingo hotel & casino's main entrance

Dating back to 1946, the Flamingo is the oldest hotel and casino on the Strip. Back when Freemont Street was the place to go in Vegas, a man named Billy Wilkerson bought some land on Las Vegas Blvd with the idea of opening the city's biggest hotel and casino. He soon received support from none other than Meyer Lansky and his associate, Bugsy Siegel. The Flamingo didn't do too well when it first opened, and Bugsy actually lost his life over it. Things eventually picked up, and I guess it would be fair to say that the Las Vegas Strip would not be what it is today if it hadn't been for the Flamingo.

I was very curious to see this historic hotel (although not much remains of the original structure), but I have to say that the blazing pink neon lights almost made me want to change my mind! We still went in and after walking around for a while, we discovered the Flamingo's wildlife habitat :o) Of course, flamingos hold a prime spot in this tropical-like habitat, but Koi fish, waterfowl and turtles can also be seen. There is also a nice waterfall where I'm sure every tourist has had his or her picture taken - including me!

• RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

Pretty Flamingo

by RAINBOWWINGS Written Aug 21, 2008
    Flamingos

A nice way to spend an hour or so is to visit the Wildlife area in the Hilton Flamingo Hotel.

Really well layed out with miniature bridges crossing small streams and all sorts of birds and wildlife to watch and photograph.

Ideal for all ages...and its free!!

• doug48's Profile Photo

historic las vegas

by doug48 Written Jan 27, 2008

bugsy siegal plaque

located near the swimming pool at the flamingo is a plaque commemorating the gangster bernard "bugsy" siegal as one of the founders of the modern day las vegas strip. the mob is long gone from the vegas strip and the hotels and casinos are now owned by wall street and multinational corporations. directly behind the flamingo pool is a high rise time share condo. this condo was built on the site of bugsy siegal's house in the 1980's.

• Business Travel

• doug48's Profile Photo

historic las vegas

by doug48 Written Jan 27, 2008

flamingo

the original flamingo is one of the oldest casinos on the strip. it was built by bernard "bugsy" siegal in 1946. the original casino cost $6 million which was a huge amount of money for that time. the construction was fiananced by the new york mob. the flamingo's grand opening in 1947 was attended by hollywood stars such as clark gable, lana turner, joan crawford, and caesar romero. the flamingo did not turn a profit immediately and the mob "hit" siegal. near the swimming pool is a plaque commemorating bugsy siegal as one of the founders of las vegas' modern day strip. the flamingo has been revovated and expanded over the years and is now one of the strip's most popular casinos.

• Architecture

• no_seriously_Bill's Profile Photo

Toni Braxton Rocks

by no_seriously_Bill Updated Jun 12, 2007
    Toni has got the whole side of the Flamingo

In summer of 2006, Toni Braxton started a semi annual stand at the Flamingo Showroom at the Flamingo hotel. In August, I went to see her and frankly, I was floored. Let me set something straight. I can't say I was a Toni Braxton fan before I saw the show. I am a Rolling Stones and Beatles kind of guy. But I wanted to see a live show when I was in Vegas and Toni was at my hotel and I always thought she was a gorgeous lady with a great voice. So I brought a ticket and I ended up being seated in the front row. In fact I could practically reach out and touch Toni for much of the show, for a ticket that cost a little over a hundred dollars (cheap by Vegas standards). She was fantastic. For practically two hours, without a break, she belted out her hits and a lot more. And her voice is just as good live as it is in the recordings...like an opera singer. She's tiny, maybe 5 foot two....and sexy as hell at age 39. The show's theme is supposed to be structured around her life...her career or something. The concept was lost on me...then again I didn't follow her career till I saw the show...however it didn't really matter. There were plenty of set and costume changes in the the vein of a great Las Vegas show. Toni had these beautiful dancers to accompany her in routines, but dancing is not Toni's strong suit here (I am told its almost impossible to sing and dance well at the same time). Finally she interacted well with the audience, even singing an impromtu duet with a gawky 50+ year old New Jersey school teacher who jumped up from the audience. His mastery of the lyrics stunned her. Being close to the stage was definately worth the price and Toni genuinely tried to connect to the audience. I go to a lot of live concerts and this was truly one of the best I have ever been to... I would see her again if I go back to Vegas. She is appearing throughout the summer of 2007.

• Music

• lazyman_1's Profile Photo

Flamingo hotel

by lazyman_1 Written Apr 24, 2007

Thr flamingo Hotel is typical fare as far as las vegas goes. There is the usual bars, clubs, pool and restaurants that you'll be able to find in any other hotel on the strip. What the flamingo hotel is lacking is something unique or interesting to set it apart from the other larger and newer resorts on the strip. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing with the Flamingo its just that there are more intersting hotels that deserve your attention.

Instant Answers: Las Vegas