Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

The sun setting over the grand Canyon
    Hoover Dam and Lake Mead
    Eagle Point
  • wanderingbilly's Profile Photo

GRAND CANYON BY HELICOPTER

by wanderingbilly Written Aug 31, 2006

READY TO FLY TO THE GRAND CANYON

I DONT THINK YOU CAN GO TO LAS VEGAS AND NOT TAKE TIME OUT TO SEE THE GRAND CANYON...IT WOULD BE A CRYING SHAME TO MISS THIS WONDER OF THE WORLD.
    SO MY WIFE AND I BOOKED WITH PAPILLION HELICOPTERS FOR A THREE HOUR TRIP TO THE CANYON. PICKUP FROM OUR HOTEL WAS RIGHT ON TIME AND SOON WE WHERE AT THE AIRPORT HELIPAD WAITING FOR OUR TURN TO FLY OUT ON OUR TRIP. WE WERE LUCKY AND GOT THE TWO FRONT SEATS BESIDE THE PILOT WITH WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST VIEWS.
    THE TRIP STARTED WITH A FLIGHT OVER LAKE LAS VEGAS AND THE HOOVER DAM AND ON OUT OVER LAKE MEAD, ALL THE TIME THE PIOLT KEPT US ALL INFORMED WITH WHAT THERE WAS TO SEE AND WITH THE ODD JOKE THROWN IN AS WELL TO PUT THE NERVOUS FLYERS AT EASE.
    AFTER A 45 MINUTE FLIGHT THE GRAND CANYON CAME INTO VIEW...AND WHAT A VIEW.
    IT WAS A LOVELY SUNNY DAY AND WE SAW THE CANYON IN ALL ITS GLORY. THEN WE STARTED OUR DESCENT INTO THE CANYON WHERE WE WOULD HAVE A THIRTY MINUTE STOP TO HAVE A SIMPLE BUT NICE LUNCH SERVED WITH A CLASS OF CHAMPAGNE. THEN YOU HAD A CHANCE TO GET THE ALL IMPORTANT PHOTOS. AS I SAID WE HAD THIRTY MINUTES HERE BUT I WOULD HAVE LOVED MORE TIME AS IT WAS SO PRETTY AND MIND BLOWING, I COULD NOT BELIEVE WE WHERE THERE, IM SO GLAD WE DID IT. I HAVE TO SAY IT WAS A PRETTY EXPENSIVE TRIP BUT ITS NOT EVERY DAY YOU GO TO SEE SOMETHING AS JAW DROPPING AS THIS.
    THE TRIP ENDED BACK AT LAS VEGAS WITH A FLIGHT OVER THE STRIP...A GOOD END TO A GREAT DAY. AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER OUR TRIP COST ROUND ABOUT £250 FOR THE TWO OF US.

• Photography
    • Adventure Travel

• julia687's Profile Photo

by julia687 Written Jul 22, 2006

view from the helecopter. doesnt do it justice

We went for 2 nights to the Grand Canyon but i'd recommend doing it as a helecopter trip from Vegas, we had far too long there. Did do the trip in a copter over it and it was really good, better than standing on the rim as you got to see so much more.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Fly to the Grand Canyon

by SabrinaSummerville Written Jun 12, 2006

Grand Canyone & Hoover Dam

My main reason in going to Vegas was to visit the Grand Canyon. However, as it's not actually in Nevada at all I am going to write my details GC tips in an Arizona page that I'll be creating.

The title of this tip is meant to be taken literally, though. When you visit the GC from Vegas, fly there. Many options are available by both helicopter and plane. I got some incredible aerial pics because I flew - the bus or four wheel drive tours won't show you the same from the same vantage points. I also saw Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, and The Colorado River from on high!!

You can even be more adventurous than I was and book a chopper ride to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and have a champage lunch there. I plan to do that next time aorund.

One other thing - before I left for my trip, friends of my sister said the GC was a waste of time. I don't know what they were thinking. I would not have missed this for the world.

• Photography

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Helicopter to the Grand Canyon with Papillion

by sunlovey Updated Mar 14, 2006

C'est moi and the pilot

The utmost coolest thing to do in Vegas is to leave Vegas via helicopter in the breathtaking direction of the Grand Canyon. WOW. We booked our helicopter tour with Papillion before we got to Vegas. They seem to be pretty busy so I'd advise you to do the same.

After watching a safety video, the pilot gave us our headphones, then loaded us onto the chopper according to weight to balance out the vessel. Seat belts fastened and we were off!

He played some interesting frontier wild west movie soundtrack type music as we rose into the sky and headed into the direction of the canyon. We circled the Hoover dam on our way which allowed for some cool photos. It was such a lovely ride, completely smooth and scenic.

The terrain eventually began to change and we knew we were close. And there it was, The Grand Canyon- huge, majestic, vast... As our pilot dipped into the canyon, it was exhilarating! He flew around within for a while and then headed towards a plateau overlooking the river. There were picnic tables and incredible views. He landed, directed us to a table and presented us with charming little individual picnic baskets of cookies, sandwiches and chips then poured us each a glass of sparkling wine and left the rest of the bottle there for our enjoyment.

After our picnic lunch we had time to stroll around the area where we had landed taking pictures. after that he flew us around a bit more, stopped at an Indian reservation to get gas and then headed back towards Las Vegas.

Then the pilot flew us down the strip- also a great chance for some fantastic aerial photographs. Then it was back to the terminal. Papillion has a gift shop there selling all sorts of Grand Canyon and Vegas souvenirs.

I think I loved this trip so much -because- of the helicopter ride- it was breathtaking! And such a unique way to see the Hoover Dam, the Canyon and the strip. I would do it again, definitely.

• nurselara's Profile Photo

The Grand Canyon by Helicopter

by nurselara Written Feb 11, 2006

The Colorado River / Grand Canyon

We finally got to the Grand Canyon after many visits to Las Vegas. We recommend the helicopter lunch tour, it is fast with breathtaking views from start to finish. We booked our tour through Pappilon Helicopters, it was much cheaper than going through the tour groups at the hotel. The helicopters seem a little older than others, we were very lucky to be able to sit together in the front beside our Austrian pilot who was very informative and friendly. We landed in the middle of the Canyon for a quick champagne picnic style lunch. We were able to take some pictures before heading back for a flight over the Las Vegas Strip.

• raenorthern's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon -Grand Voyager Tour

by raenorthern Written Jan 2, 2006
    colorado river

plane,boat and helicopter ride of your life. The tour starts with a plane sightseeing tour of Lake Mead, Hoover Dam and the West Rim of the Canyon before landing at the Hualapai Indian's Grand Canyon West (the only side allowed to do helicopter rides) decend the 4000 feet to the canyon floor and then relax and enjoy a breif boat crusie on tha colorado river. Climb back aboard the helicopter for the ride back up and a short coach ride to Guano Point surrounded by sheer rugged cliffs with excellent photo opportunities. Then fly back to Las Vegas. Amazing trip expensive but worth the money

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

by tomhoward Written Nov 30, 2005

3 ways of getting there - helicopter, plane or car.

The helicopter probably works out about the same as the plane (ie like a week in a penthouse suite at The Bellagio), but you havent spent a day arguing with the wife whilst you get lost in the Nevada desert.

We used Papillon, although there are a dizzying number of other firms all doing the same thing - Scenic, Sundance and Heli USA. Little extras like free hotel pick up helps, but all thats really important is that the damn thing doesnt drop out of the sky like a lead balloon.

To confuse matters further, each company then offers a further thirty permutations on the tour, consisting of any / all of Canyon floor landing, picnic, champagne, boat ride, flight over the strip, south rim, foot massage etc etc.

The best value one for my money is The Celebration Tour. Helicopters arent the most comfortable form of transport and the 45min one way trip is probably the limit for most people, even if it is broken up with views of Lake Mead and The Hoover Dam (your ears will be ringing like Notre Dame when you arrive). You've then got 20mins to 'explore' (although you wont get very far) before its back onboard, a quick refuel, then back to Vegas. To finish, the flight OVER the strip is actually AROUND the strip, but still an unforgettable experience.

Oh, and make sure youre the first one out when it lands, thereby avoiding giving the destitute pilot a much needed tip.

Try to look surprised when the *** receptionist reminds you there isnt a toilet on board...

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

A break from the madness...

by HotRodEtte Updated Sep 6, 2005

grand canyon from yavapai point

A long day ahead, we began the tour at 6:30 am. Bus ride was approximately 4 hours each way, with frequent stops for those who need to eat, drink, use restrooms & smoke. Photo stops made at Hoover Dam as well, along with 2 points of overlooking the Grand Canyon (Bright Angel Lodge and Yavapai Point). These are where you get the best views of the canyon, as well as the Colorado River with the suspension bridge (Yavapai Point, but you really need to look!).

• Gerrem's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon by Helicopter

by Gerrem Written Aug 13, 2005

Nicole & I

Las Vegas is a place for gamblers. I'm not one. SO we desided to fly into the Grand Canyon. It's quite expensive..but would we ever go there again?

It was a great experience and the money worth...

You'll find pictures of the trip in my Grand Canyon travelogue.

• misika's Profile Photo

must see things

by misika Written Jul 11, 2005

In Las Vegas in very important to see a tipical show with half naked women, if you know what i mean.There you can meet some locals or just all sorts of people. I know i did.
    Also you should see the most famous hotels and casinos, you should go inside. And for those who dont kow, you cannot take pictures in casinos, they have very strict rules, about it! Bellagio and its fountain are great but you have to be there at certain time to see the fauntain! Its magical.
    Stratosphere is great, there are some thrill rides on the roof and i suggest that you go there very late (midnight) because it can get very crouded.
    You can get good hotels with cheap prices! I was in a San Remo hotel that is just nearby the mgm grand and New york hotel, so that is cool.
    This are the basic things. Please dont hesitate to ask me anything!

• Casino and Gambling

• feag's Profile Photo

by feag Written May 26, 2005

Take a plane trip to the Canyon (seeing the Hoover Dam below on the way), then a helicopter ride over the Canyon itself and down into it, it was an experience of a lifetime.

Some take different tours, whereby they either go on the Hoover Dam tour. Some camp around the Canyon or in a lodge. We just visited it for the day, had the picnic lunch down in the Canyon itself.

Take water with you (as so hot)!

• raevnzno's Profile Photo

Breathtaking side trip

by raevnzno Updated Mar 31, 2005
    float like a butterfly

If you have about 3 hours you want to kill, condider taking a quick side trip to the Grand Canyon. Sundance Helicopters will take you over to the west end of the canyon, landing down inside for a quick champange picnic and then back to Las Vegas for a bird-eye view of the strip. See your hotel from a whole new perspective. The picnic lunch was terrific too!

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

Lunch overlooking The Grand Canyon.

by Tricky_Dicky69 Written Dec 31, 2004

The view from our dining room !

A trip to Vegas wouldn't be complete without a visit to The Grand Canyon. If you don't have a car there are lots of trips to choose from. You can go by bus, coach, plane, helicoptor or a combination of these.

We went by light aircraft to the rim which was an experience in itself as you fly over the mountains and get great views of the Canyon and The Hoover Dam.

We had a helicoptor ride to the bottom of the Canyon followed by a river trip on The Colorado. A helicoptor back to the rim was followed by lunch with The Hualapi Indians served on tables overlooking The Canyon.

Not cheap but a day never to be forgotten.

• KarenTaylor's Profile Photo

Jaw Droppingly Spectacular

by KarenTaylor Updated Aug 29, 2004

Grand Canyon and Colorado River

The Grand Canyon trip was the highlight of my visit to Vegas. The journey to the canyon itself wasn't great...I'm not that fond of planes and the small plane was quite bumpy on the way out from Henderson Airfield...having said that, the return journey was much smoother.A helicopter into the canyon was next, followed by a trip on the Colorado river, and then small tour of the Rim.
    I don't think I have ever been anywhere so quiet and peaceful as Guano Point. The scenery is stunning, it's definitely worth the time out to do thid trip.
    Handy Hint: book the trip over the Net..it can save you a fortune. One chap we spoke to in Vegas who was running the trips said that the price couldn't be beat.
    If you're going in the summer, remember to take a hat and plenty of water.

• crummey's Profile Photo

check out the wild life

by crummey Written Aug 6, 2004

You can slowly learn to hate Nevada. Hate the sand, the grit, the heat, the neon; blinking neon.

Actually Nevada is no all that bad. I have a killer tan. The wild life can be fascinating. And I love the vultures. Some people call them
    buzzards.

Vultures have a really bad rap. But they are beautiful to look at. They are
    black with white trimming on the bottom of their wings. They soar on the updrafts and the currents and hang in the sky all day. And it is a total myth that they only live off
    of dead stuff.

Yes,vultures really do like dead stuff. And they would probably be on you in a New York minute if they saw you stumble or drop. But they eat live stuff too. The golf courses attracts wildlife because of their decorative
    vegetation and ponds. And the wildlife attracts the buzzards. There are dozens of golf courses. And on any golf course are a dozen vultures; swarming and slewing and diving over the golf course. Circling above
    the golf course all day. Looking for easy pickings: cute baby rabbits, baby
    ducks and baby delicious pheasants.

Instant Answers: Las Vegas