Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

The sun setting over the grand Canyon
    Hoover Dam and Lake Mead
    Eagle Point
  • SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Fly to the Grand Canyon

by SabrinaSummerville Written Jun 12, 2006

Grand Canyone & Hoover Dam

My main reason in going to Vegas was to visit the Grand Canyon. However, as it's not actually in Nevada at all I am going to write my details GC tips in an Arizona page that I'll be creating.

The title of this tip is meant to be taken literally, though. When you visit the GC from Vegas, fly there. Many options are available by both helicopter and plane. I got some incredible aerial pics because I flew - the bus or four wheel drive tours won't show you the same from the same vantage points. I also saw Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, and The Colorado River from on high!!

You can even be more adventurous than I was and book a chopper ride to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and have a champage lunch there. I plan to do that next time aorund.

One other thing - before I left for my trip, friends of my sister said the GC was a waste of time. I don't know what they were thinking. I would not have missed this for the world.

• Silverflower's Profile Photo

The Grand Canyon puts life into perspective.

by Silverflower Updated Feb 3, 2004

Of course we couldn't stay in Las Vegas and not visit the Grand Canyon. We took a coach tour to the west rim of the canyon (more beautiful and less touristy than the south rim-no macdonalds or shops anywhere-just pure unspoilt natural beauty) and went to the airfield there.We then got in a helicopter which took us down into the canyon.This was the most amazing experience- the ground just seems to break open and you seem to drop into a massive hole ,it was fantastic.In the canyon we went on a raft along the colarado river.Apparently the canyon floor is 25 degrees hotter than above and it certainly felt it! We then flew back up and drove along to the Havusupai Indian reservre where we had lunch on the edge of the canyon.You could see for miles.The sense of freedom there is unreal.There were no barriers along the edge , no tacky photo points...just space for you to appreciate the views...and realise how insignificant we all are in the scheme of things.It does make you kind of philisophical, its just one of those things that you marvel at and want to keep looking at again and again.

• KarenTaylor's Profile Photo

Jaw Droppingly Spectacular

by KarenTaylor Updated Aug 29, 2004

Grand Canyon and Colorado River

The Grand Canyon trip was the highlight of my visit to Vegas. The journey to the canyon itself wasn't great...I'm not that fond of planes and the small plane was quite bumpy on the way out from Henderson Airfield...having said that, the return journey was much smoother.A helicopter into the canyon was next, followed by a trip on the Colorado river, and then small tour of the Rim.
    I don't think I have ever been anywhere so quiet and peaceful as Guano Point. The scenery is stunning, it's definitely worth the time out to do thid trip.
    Handy Hint: book the trip over the Net..it can save you a fortune. One chap we spoke to in Vegas who was running the trips said that the price couldn't be beat.
    If you're going in the summer, remember to take a hat and plenty of water.

• csordila's Profile Photo

One day tour to Grand Canyon South Rim

by csordila Updated Jun 14, 2009

Panoramic view

The South Rim is the most famous part of the Grand Canyon, and the busiest too. It is the place you may have seen already in National Geographic.
    When you enter the park you get a free copy of the park Guide, with a lot of informations, announcements about activities.
    Mather Point is the most popular viewpoint on the South Rim as it is closest to the entrance. The majority of visitors including me first gaze over the Grand Canyon here, although other lookout point have probably better views for photos.
    The South Rim averages more then 2100 metres above sea level. The Colorado River flows along the bottom of the canyon, about 1500 metres below the rim. Because of the enormous depth of the Canyon, the river is visible only from certain viewpoints.
    At the famous Bright Angel Lodge you can shop, take pictures, and stroll the walkways to gaze out at the colorful sites. Across the horizon, you may see the painted peak of Isis Temple and the neighboring flat-topped formation known as Cheops Pyramid. Looking east, the Clear Creek becomes visible, which has formed a deep, private canyon towards the Walhalla Plateau.
    The Grand Canyon, one of the wonders of the world, has been created by Colorado River cutting through rock for two billion years. The canyon is 446 km long, from 6 to 24 kilometers wide and more than a mile deep.
    Alot of the formations of the Grand Canyon have Egyptian names, such as Cheops Pyramid, Isis Temple, Tower of Set, Tower of Ra, Horus Temple, etc. Some of the names are of East Indian gods, such as Buddha Cloister, Vishnu Temple or Brahma Temple; there is a Zoroaster Temple, which is Persian.

Park Entrance Fee $12 valid for seven days.

• travel_bug79's Profile Photo

Helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon

by travel_bug79 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Me at our picnic stop in the Canyon

If you're staying in Vegas and want to see the Grand Canyon but are stretched for time, I suggest doing a helicopter tour. It takes about an hour to fly there, during which you pass by some amazing scenery, such as the Hoover Dam (if you could call that scenery?!?) and the pilot tells you alot about the areas as you fly over them. Depending on which tour you take, you can either simply fly over the Canyon without stopping, or you can stop for a picnic in the Canyon (which is what we did). A wonderful picnic basket of goodies was supplied, which we enjoyed during our 45 minute stopover in the Canyon (plenty of time for photos).

If you choose the sunset tour like we did then the return journey is almost the best part, as the sun is setting right in front of you as you fly back to Vegas. The sky looks so beautiful from up there! By the time you get back to Vegas, night has fallen and the lights of Vegas are on show, so you will take a turn and fly down the strip over all the lights! Amazing!

Total tour time is approx 3 1/2 hours for the tour we did; cost approx $390 per person but it is an experience to last a lifetime!! And there are cheaper option available if you choose not to have the picnic and not go at sunset.

• Adventure Travel

• doug48's Profile Photo

grand canyon

by doug48 Updated Jan 26, 2008

grand canyon

if you are in las vegas for more than a couple of days a tour of the grand canyon is a very worth while thing to do. the grand canyon is one of the natural wonders of the world. you can book a bus, airplane, or helicopter tour of the canyon at the grand canyon experience on the strip or at any major hotel. the info on the grand canyon experience is listed below.

• Casino and Gambling

• davesut's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon - my it is cold

by davesut Written Jun 19, 2004

The Grand Canyon is awesome. Be wary it is cold. The shop when you got there could have charged double the amount for sweatshirts and jumpers and we would have bought them. The grey one was cheaper than my blue one. Neither lasted beyond the first wash when we got home. However, they were worth it.

• PetraG's Profile Photo

by PetraG Written May 13, 2003

Grand Canyon

When you're in Las Vegas, spend one day to do a trip to the Grand Canyon. You can book a trip there in most hotels. But the cheapest is to book it already at home. The little planes go from Las Veags airport to the Grand Canyon airport. There you continue your trip by bus around the most famous spots of these amazing nature-event. Lunch in a nice restaurant is included.
    Be prepared for cold wheather (it was 35°C in Las Vegas and 11°C on the Grand Canyon) and take some warm clothes with you or you'll end up wearing the same stupid pullover as all the other tourists who forgot to take along a jacket...

• Rafting
    • Kayaking
    • Hiking and Walking

• davesut's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon by air

by davesut Updated Jun 19, 2004

Travelling to the Grand Canyon by air was great. Attempt to take an early trip rather than late as our flight was delayed by 45 minutes due to previous delays in the day. In October it was dark when we left so less chance of seeing the view.
    By air the chance of good photos of Hoover Damn and the Canyon are great.

• maryamy's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon flight

by maryamy Written Apr 15, 2003

Amazing views include the Colorado river

There are a variety of flights and companies to choose from. But, depending on your budget you can go from $100 upwards for a flight of a life time over the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon (and more I am sure).
    I felt so humble, so small that it is hard to describe.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Day trip to the Grand Canyon

by joiwatani Written Jul 25, 2010

I have seen both of the rims of the Grand Canyon and in my own experience, I like the North Rim than the South Rim! I was in Grand Canyon in 1990, in the North Rim to watch the sunrise. It was an experience of a lifetime!The Grand Canyon lit up like there was fire all over the horizon and it was beautiful and exhilirating...

Last year, I was on the South Rim. It is also beautiful. But, not equally as beautiful as the North Rim.

I heard about the helicopter ride. I have not experienced that because it was kind of expensive for us as a family. But, I am sure, when you take the helicopter ride that you will enjoy both the north and the south rims!

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

by tomhoward Written Nov 30, 2005

3 ways of getting there - helicopter, plane or car.

The helicopter probably works out about the same as the plane (ie like a week in a penthouse suite at The Bellagio), but you havent spent a day arguing with the wife whilst you get lost in the Nevada desert.

We used Papillon, although there are a dizzying number of other firms all doing the same thing - Scenic, Sundance and Heli USA. Little extras like free hotel pick up helps, but all thats really important is that the damn thing doesnt drop out of the sky like a lead balloon.

To confuse matters further, each company then offers a further thirty permutations on the tour, consisting of any / all of Canyon floor landing, picnic, champagne, boat ride, flight over the strip, south rim, foot massage etc etc.

The best value one for my money is The Celebration Tour. Helicopters arent the most comfortable form of transport and the 45min one way trip is probably the limit for most people, even if it is broken up with views of Lake Mead and The Hoover Dam (your ears will be ringing like Notre Dame when you arrive). You've then got 20mins to 'explore' (although you wont get very far) before its back onboard, a quick refuel, then back to Vegas. To finish, the flight OVER the strip is actually AROUND the strip, but still an unforgettable experience.

Oh, and make sure youre the first one out when it lands, thereby avoiding giving the destitute pilot a much needed tip.

Try to look surprised when the *** receptionist reminds you there isnt a toilet on board...

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Helicopter to the Grand Canyon with Papillion

by sunlovey Updated Mar 14, 2006

C'est moi and the pilot

The utmost coolest thing to do in Vegas is to leave Vegas via helicopter in the breathtaking direction of the Grand Canyon. WOW. We booked our helicopter tour with Papillion before we got to Vegas. They seem to be pretty busy so I'd advise you to do the same.

After watching a safety video, the pilot gave us our headphones, then loaded us onto the chopper according to weight to balance out the vessel. Seat belts fastened and we were off!

He played some interesting frontier wild west movie soundtrack type music as we rose into the sky and headed into the direction of the canyon. We circled the Hoover dam on our way which allowed for some cool photos. It was such a lovely ride, completely smooth and scenic.

The terrain eventually began to change and we knew we were close. And there it was, The Grand Canyon- huge, majestic, vast... As our pilot dipped into the canyon, it was exhilarating! He flew around within for a while and then headed towards a plateau overlooking the river. There were picnic tables and incredible views. He landed, directed us to a table and presented us with charming little individual picnic baskets of cookies, sandwiches and chips then poured us each a glass of sparkling wine and left the rest of the bottle there for our enjoyment.

After our picnic lunch we had time to stroll around the area where we had landed taking pictures. after that he flew us around a bit more, stopped at an Indian reservation to get gas and then headed back towards Las Vegas.

Then the pilot flew us down the strip- also a great chance for some fantastic aerial photographs. Then it was back to the terminal. Papillion has a gift shop there selling all sorts of Grand Canyon and Vegas souvenirs.

I think I loved this trip so much -because- of the helicopter ride- it was breathtaking! And such a unique way to see the Hoover Dam, the Canyon and the strip. I would do it again, definitely.

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon West Rim Bus Tour

by kris-t Updated Mar 17, 2013

Grand Canyon West Rim

We took one-day trip to the Grand Canyon's West Rim. We had a short 15 minute stop for pictures at the Hoover Dam and a comfort stop at Arizona Gateway then onto the Grand Canyon via the Joshua Tree Forest.

Seeing the Grand Canyon was totally breathtaking and an experience we will never forget! But after all if you want to see and admire the Grand Canyon we will recoment to go to the South Rim.
    In case if can't afford the time to go to the National Park, Grand Canyon West is an alternative.

See our Grand Canyon page for more.

• wanderingbilly's Profile Photo

GRAND CANYON BY HELICOPTER

by wanderingbilly Written Aug 31, 2006

READY TO FLY TO THE GRAND CANYON

I DONT THINK YOU CAN GO TO LAS VEGAS AND NOT TAKE TIME OUT TO SEE THE GRAND CANYON...IT WOULD BE A CRYING SHAME TO MISS THIS WONDER OF THE WORLD.
    SO MY WIFE AND I BOOKED WITH PAPILLION HELICOPTERS FOR A THREE HOUR TRIP TO THE CANYON. PICKUP FROM OUR HOTEL WAS RIGHT ON TIME AND SOON WE WHERE AT THE AIRPORT HELIPAD WAITING FOR OUR TURN TO FLY OUT ON OUR TRIP. WE WERE LUCKY AND GOT THE TWO FRONT SEATS BESIDE THE PILOT WITH WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST VIEWS.
    THE TRIP STARTED WITH A FLIGHT OVER LAKE LAS VEGAS AND THE HOOVER DAM AND ON OUT OVER LAKE MEAD, ALL THE TIME THE PIOLT KEPT US ALL INFORMED WITH WHAT THERE WAS TO SEE AND WITH THE ODD JOKE THROWN IN AS WELL TO PUT THE NERVOUS FLYERS AT EASE.
    AFTER A 45 MINUTE FLIGHT THE GRAND CANYON CAME INTO VIEW...AND WHAT A VIEW.
    IT WAS A LOVELY SUNNY DAY AND WE SAW THE CANYON IN ALL ITS GLORY. THEN WE STARTED OUR DESCENT INTO THE CANYON WHERE WE WOULD HAVE A THIRTY MINUTE STOP TO HAVE A SIMPLE BUT NICE LUNCH SERVED WITH A CLASS OF CHAMPAGNE. THEN YOU HAD A CHANCE TO GET THE ALL IMPORTANT PHOTOS. AS I SAID WE HAD THIRTY MINUTES HERE BUT I WOULD HAVE LOVED MORE TIME AS IT WAS SO PRETTY AND MIND BLOWING, I COULD NOT BELIEVE WE WHERE THERE, IM SO GLAD WE DID IT. I HAVE TO SAY IT WAS A PRETTY EXPENSIVE TRIP BUT ITS NOT EVERY DAY YOU GO TO SEE SOMETHING AS JAW DROPPING AS THIS.
    THE TRIP ENDED BACK AT LAS VEGAS WITH A FLIGHT OVER THE STRIP...A GOOD END TO A GREAT DAY. AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER OUR TRIP COST ROUND ABOUT £250 FOR THE TWO OF US.

• Adventure Travel