Stratosphere, Las Vegas

3 out of 5 stars 80 Reviews

2000 Las Vegas Boulevard South (800) 998-6937

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Stratosphere Tower observation deck & rides!

by Yaqui Updated Jul 11, 2008

Security is tight and they inspect and have everyone go thru metal detector. They also have a huge list of rules before you can go up in the tower. Make sure you read them before you either purchase your tickets or before you head for the entrance incase you have to leave something at the car or bell desk.

Since opening in 1996, this 1,141-foot-tall Stratosphere Tower has captured the attention of everyone alike. It is 869 feet high with a 360-view of the city, the Stratosphere's outdoor observation deck is the tallest of its kind in the country. Yet, I hate heights, but I enjoy this. What a spectacular view. I keep telling myself I am going to do this at night and some day, I will.

A TIP: If you hate heights and get some vertigo, go outside on the deck, do not stay inside it makes it worse. I noticed the observation glass is set at an angle, so it kinds of distorts the senses. I know, I know, but it helped me and the fresh air helps too. What a view!!!

Hours of operation: Sunday - Thursday, 10 a.m. - 1 a.m. Fridays, Saturdays and holidays, 10 a.m. - 2 a.m.
    Cost: Please either check the website of call the attraction for current cost.

• Spa and Resort

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Stratosfear

by CliffClaven Written Jun 17, 2008

The hotel is actually called Stratosphere. But up at the top of its needle-like tower there is a ride called Insanity. They strap you in, dangle you over the edge with a 300-metre drop below you and then subject you to a 3g force as the arm whirls round and round. They should have called it Stratosfear.

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo

Super Stratosphere

by amandajayne81 Written Mar 23, 2008

One of my main reasons for going to Vegas was to do the rides at the top of the Stratosphere. I had seen them on Travel shows at home in Australia and have been keen for years.

We finally got to the top of the tower on the morning we were leaving (I probably regret not doing it at night as well because both views would have been different and amazing.).

My fiance does not do rides of any sort especially crazy ones on the top of towers so he just bought entry to the tower, I got a ticket for all three rides. The took photos before we went up and gave us some history and general knowledge on the way up.

I was scared even stepping out to the closed in viewing area. It was an awesome view though. Then it was up to the open air and I did the Insanity ride first. I have never been so scared in my life. The adrenalin was amazing. I was too scared to even scream.

I must admit I chickened out on the X Scream. Having my fiance there saying 'you would have to be crazy to go on any of these rides' didn't help but maybe next time.

I loved the big shot and would recommend it to even people who get a bit scared on those rides. There was the great G force feeling going up and then the weightlessness coming down was beautiful. You couldn't see the tower or anything close you just felt like you were floating down. Amazing.

Of course on the way back down we fell for the tourist trap of buying the photos superimposed on Vegas scenes that they took before we went up. Of course they are lying in a drawer now but what a day.

• doug48's Profile Photo

stratosphere tower

by doug48 Written Jan 27, 2008

stratosphere tower

located at the north end of the strip the stratosphere is much like the other casinos in that area. the casinos on the north end of the strip are not as upscale as the casinos in the central and south strip. here table limits will be lower. the main attraction of the stratosphere is its tower. for a fee you can go to the top of the tower for an impressive view of las vegas.

• Architecture

• Andraf's Profile Photo

Stratosphere

by Andraf Updated Jan 12, 2008

Stratosphere Hotel/Casino, Las Vegas

Stratosphere is located at the northern end of the Strip, away from the main attractions, but a visit here is well worth it. The resort has one of the Las Vegas landmarks, the Stratosphere Tower which is 1149 ft (350 m) tall. From the top of the tower you get great views of the city. The views from Eiffel Tower offer more detail but here you can get a feeling of how big Las Vegas is; the mountains in the distance make for a great background. Also at the top two rides are offered, a roller coaster and a free-falling thingy called The Big Shot. I didn't try any of them but I can tell that they look scary.

Apart from the tower you'll find everything of what is offered in a Strip resort: the casino which is located on the ground level; shops, restaurants and a 1500 rooms hotel. We stayed here once and we enjoyed the room and their all you can eat buffet.

• madamx's Profile Photo

Stratosphere

by madamx Updated Aug 23, 2007

The strip from the Stratosphere

The Stratosphere is 1,149 feet high, and taller than the Eiffel Tower ( we're talking Paris, France, not Paris Las Vegas). The ride up goes amazingly fast, less than a minute.

The views are actually quite breathtaking, and they do recommend you go twice; once during the day, and the other at night. However, we didn't have time to return at night, so we'll have to make it a priority the next time.

If you want to send someone over the edge, or love thrill rides, make sure you go on The Big Shot. This ride is located on the tower's top needle, and shoots riders up with the force of four G's, then drops them at zero G's -- avoid this if you have a pacemaker! My husband rated this the best ride in Vegas, bar none.

The other thrill ride that is worth taking is X-Scream. Basically, this is a giant teeter-totter that is on the edge of the Stratosphere tower, and you are dangled over the edge of the tower, back and forth. If you do have someone riding on the X-Scream, have them sit in the front, and you can actually take their picture from the enclosed observation area of the tower with a backdrop of Vegas.

The High Roller roller coaster was closed when we were there, but I have heard that it's a very slow, short roller coaster and not really worth it.

For a full day pass, it's about $26.00 US, which includes all rides and tower admission. This is worth it if you are a big fan of rides, and go on them a couple of times each. For the tower admission alone, it's $10.00, and and extra $4.00 if you return the anytime the same day.

• glamourprincess's Profile Photo

Nice view

by glamourprincess Written Aug 15, 2007

The Stratosphere tower

The Stratosphere is a high tower and part of the Stratosphere Casino. When we got inside the casino I thought it was worn and shabby. There were only small shops selling touristy stuff and it was a bit tacky. I would never ever stay at the Stratosphere. We bought the tickets for the tower at the second floor at the ticket booth, but we had to walk through all the shops and cafes to get to the entrance of the tower. Everyone had to pose for a photo before getting in to the elevator.. (hate that..) Up in the tower there's a Starbucks, it was a bit more expensive than other Starbucks. Anyway, you can enjoy the view inside the tower behind the large glass windows.. or you can go outside (up a floor). We almost missed the outside balcony..cause there weren't any signs or anything. I have to admit I was a bit dissapointed as the view over the Strip was quite unimpressive, lots of construction sites.. I think it's better at night! When the neon lights are blinking. There are some rides as well, some crazy rollercoasters where you are tipped outside the tower and then back again.. several times. They close it down when it's too windy. I didn't have the guts to do it though and I never will.

• imlikeabird's Profile Photo

Webcams

by imlikeabird Updated Aug 13, 2007

Adam and I on webcam!

When you visit the tower at the top of the Stratosphere, there are webcams for the world to see. Call a friend, have them go to the website, and take a screen shot. Turned out a lot better than the pictures they take and try to sell to you. Plus it's free! You do have to pay admission to go up the tower, plus we paid to ride one of the rides.

PLEASE NOTE: THE WEBCAMS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!

• Observation Deck

by danieltrue Written Jul 22, 2007

Went up the the observation deck at the stratosphere and let me tell you, it's the best view in Vegas. The elevator ride up can be scary for some. The operator told me the elevator goes up at 180 miles per hour. Within 20 seconds your 108 floors up. The views are panoramic and stunning. you can really see the entire city and environs from up here. The ride down is fun too. That was probably the funnest part. Check it out for yourself. It's a little pricey but well worth it.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

What an experience!

by machomikemd Written Jul 18, 2007

Help!

At 1,149 feet, the Stratosphere Tower is the tallest freestanding observation tower in the United States and the tallest building west of the Mississippi River.From the observation decks, lounge, restaurant, meeting & banquet space and private dining rooms, guests enjoy panoramic views of the Las Vegas Strip and the surrounding valley. Visitors to the Tower are whisked from ground level to the observation decks in less than 30 seconds in double decker elevators traveling at speeds of 1,800 feet per minute or three floors a second. The top of the tower has an observation deck, revolving restaurant, a Starbucks (which is known to be the highest location for a Starbucks in the world)

Thrill seekers can enjoy excitement over 100 stories above the ground on the Big Shot, X Scream and Insanity thrill rides.

The Big Shot at 1,081 feet (329 m) is the highest thrill ride in the world and it catapults riders up a portion of the tower at 45 miles per hour; Insanity the Ride at 900 feet (274 m) is the second highest thrill ride in the world, it dangles riders over the edge of the tower and then spins in a circular pattern at approximately forty miles per hour, the Ride spins riders over the edge of the tower at a rate of three Gs. XSCREAM at 866 feet (264 m) is the third highest thrill ride in the world. This ride also "drops" people over the edge and is a giant teeter-totter that flings riders over the edge of the tower and back.

• onestepaway's Profile Photo

Breathe - The Oxygen Bar

by onestepaway Written Jun 7, 2007

These was a great way to relax, this was our first time doing this and to me I will do it again, I loved the massage after soaking up the oxygen and using the massaging chairs, the girl working there gives you a massage with these oils and the rocks. Its a must do.....

• lazyman_1's Profile Photo

Stratosphere hotel

by lazyman_1 Written Apr 22, 2007

You go to the stratosphere in order to ride the rides or to take in the view and thats about it. The Stratosphere is the northernmost resort on the strip. To be completely honest, when comparing this hotel to some of the newer, more extravagant hotels to the south it simply doesn't stack up well.

• lazyman_1's Profile Photo

Stratosphere Rides

by lazyman_1 Written Apr 22, 2007

For a fee, there are three death defying rides awaiting you at the top of the stratosphere. Personally, i don't like rides much to begin with so they were a no go for me, but i did like to watch the brave folk who decided to venture out there. In my opinion the most thrilling of all was the ride which plunged a cart straight out, 20 feet over the side and pointing downwards so there was nothing between you and the ground.

• suzannebowser's Profile Photo

Lunch at the Stratosphere

by suzannebowser Written Feb 25, 2007

We took the monorail from our hotel to the Stratosphere Resturant for lunch.
    High atop the tower, we enjoyed a very nice lunch and excitement of watching people ride the amusement rides. One of our party rode and we were amazed by his courage. Anyone who likes Roller coasters or gutsy rides will love this one!

• generasianx's Profile Photo

Stratosphere Tower

by generasianx Updated Aug 12, 2006

At 1,149 feet, the Stratosphere Tower is the tallest freestanding observation tower in the United States and the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. It offers a great view of Sin City.

Sun - Thurs: 10am to 1am
    Fri, Sat, Holidays: 10am to 2am
    Adult $9.95, Hotel guests $6

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

(as for the hotel itself, I'd give it 3 stars out of 5)

Instant Answers: Las Vegas

Comments

Hotels Near Stratosphere
3.5 out of 5 stars