Thrill Rides, Las Vegas

by marielexoteria
  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

NASCAR Center's Pit Pass Arcade~Closed

by Yaqui Updated Nov 21, 2011

Update, Sadly the Sahara has closed and everything it had has been auctioned off:(

Located in Sahara Hotel & Casino , this is a great place to take the kids or the kid in ever adult especially if your a racecar fan. This is a state-of-the-art arcade is packed with more than 120 player stations, redemption and standard video games. All games accept tokens only. The arcade is conveniently located on the first floor of the NASCAR Entertainment Center, near the buffet escalator, musueum, gift shop, and cafe.

Hours of operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Regulations prohibit children under the age of 18 from being present without a parent, legal guardian, or responsible adult over the age of 21 after 10 p.m.

• Maurgan's Profile Photo

This has to make your heart pound!

by Maurgan Updated Apr 4, 2011

The 4 thrill rides at the top of the Stratosphere! I am a self-proclaimed rollercoaster/ride junkie and I could have spent all day up here if there wasnt so much else to do! I tried each ride at least once, and whoever designed these knew what they were doing.

That being said, Insanity made me rather nauseas, but you get a view of Vegas unlike any other! The Big Shot also has the same merit, without the queasy feeling. The X-scream, i think, was my favorite - and try to sit at the front if you can! And while the rollercoaster isnt a huge deal, it is still a lot of fun.

• caz400's Profile Photo

Star Trek Experience

by caz400 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A must for all even if you are not a fan of Star Trek, this attraction is for all ages. Part ride, part you-are-there theater, The Experience utilizes a motion simulator, movie-like sets and live actors to immerse guests in Gene Roddenberry's 24th century. The Borg Invasion 4D was added in 2004 to complement the long-running Klingon Encounter. and then browse the unusual gift store or grab a meal in the Trek-themed Quark's Restaurant & Bar. Star Trek: The Experience is open daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.. General admission is $29.99.

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo

Ride the Roller Coaster

by soccergrrl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Looping the Loop

New York New York has its own roller coaster, called the Manhattan Express, that twists, turns, climbs, dives, and loops all around the "city." We rode at night, and it was tons of fun. I was terrified, screamed my head off, but had a blast. My husband nearly split his gut laughing at me. You'll need to leave any bags, cameras, or other similar accessories at the platform -- there are lockers (50 cents, I think) to hold your stuff.

This was my favorite "architecture" of the hotels and casinos -- it's built to look like the Manhattan skyline, and they even have a miniature Brooklyn Bridge. The casino and shops inside are meant to make you feel as if you are strolling a New York neighborhood.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

X-Scream

by marielexoteria Updated Jan 6, 2010

The X-Scream on the way up and out

Another reason for me to visit Vegas was to ride one of the rides on top of the Stratosphere, and my choice for this trip was the X-Scream.

What this ride those is go back and forth, while you hang "mercilessly" 277-something meters (866 feet) above the ground. You go forward, the thing stops and leaves you hanging head first, then goes back, and the process repeats. Sometimes you don't go back at all, but up and then down and all you see is the ground below thinking that you're gonna fall face first. It was a great thrill ride, and I didn't fully get it until I saw the car hanging from the indoors observation deck.

While you're hanging and dangling, the operator makes some funny comments and one-liners. After riding the X-Scream, my throat was hurting and I sounded as if I had a cold but it was worth it!

As of Nov 2009, admission fee to the observation deck and one ride cost 21.95US.

• Adventure Travel

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

"The Roller Coaster" (former Manhattan Express)

by marielexoteria Updated Jan 6, 2010

New York, New York's Roller Coaster

Yeehaw! This is one of the reasons why I came to Vegas at all. I love roller coasters and this one lived to my expectations, after seeing several videos of the ride on Youtube.

This coaster is about 121m long and the ride takes about 2,5 minutes. The cars are designed as the yellow NY cabs and the straps are so tight that after being thrown up and down (I experience negative G's so even after being strap, I "fly out of my seat") I had some soreness on my shoulder blades - that's how I know I liked it LOL!

As of Nov 2009, a single ticket cost 14US. No loose objects are allowed, for security reasons.

• Mandber's Profile Photo

HOLY CRAP!!!

by Mandber Written Jul 24, 2007

One thing that Amber and I have in common is that if can scare you Amber will do it. Atop the Stratosphere somebody decided to go ahead and put a set of rollercoaster, and Amber decided that it would be our job to ride them. Even though I originally did not want to go, I am so happy I did, it is something that will ruin every other coaster for you as far as fear.

• Royal63's Profile Photo

Ride on the Manhattan Express!!

by Royal63 Written Jan 2, 2007

Part of the roller coaster ride

Wherever you are staying, get on the monorail and walk into the New York New York hotel. Follow the easy directions to the roller coaster and have a great ride! With heights of 203 feet, drops of 144 feet and speeds up to 67 MPH, this attraction adds new meaning to the phrase "let it ride!" It features the world's first "heartline" twist and dive maneuver, allowing riders to experience the thrilling force of negative g's! Simulating a barrel-roll in a jet fighter, it rolls 180 degrees, hangs 86 feet in the air, then dives back under itself- promising dizzying excitement and white-knuckle thrills!
    You will NOT regret it.

• SPEED - the ride

by Cowley Updated Aug 25, 2006

The fastest rollercoaster in Las Vegas, located at the Sahara, I felt like going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa with THIS acceleration.... and all the way back. Fast and great!

• imlikeabird's Profile Photo

Insanity

by imlikeabird Written Aug 3, 2006

I took this picture of the people who rode after u

This ride would be considered really tame on the ground. However, on top of the Stratosphere tower it scared the devil out of me. The scariest part was watching the gate lower and having the arm start to outstretch you over the side. Once it started it took all my concentration not to get sick because you're essentially just spinning around. We did it in the morning and it was a great way to wake up, and it also feels cooler at the top of the tower with all the wind. It was a great break from the heat.

• toontown's Profile Photo

SPEED - The Ride

by toontown Written Jul 9, 2006

Speed - the Ride, halfway through

Wow! Not for the faint of heart. This ride starts inside the Sarah, at the Nascar Cafe, but I don't recommend eating before you go! The acceleration at the beginning is so fast you have no time to catch your breath or psyche yourself up for the corkscrews and loops. I admit it - I screamed my head off and then closed my eyes. I only opened my eyes when it eventually stopped - only to find myself looking straight up into the sky, hanging at a 90 degree angle 224 feet in the air. After what seemed like an eternity in that position the ride rocketed us backward at the same speed the way we came (accompanied by more screaming). Apparently the ride goes along the strip. You are warned before you go off to remove all lose items, bags, etc. before getting on the ride. There are even 50 cent lockers for the purpose. My husband got on the ride and was told to remove his glasses. He complained that he wouldn't be able to see properly without them but after the ride started he soon realized that seeing the strip while on the ride wasn't really possible due to the speed (up to 70 m.p.h.).

Open from at least noon until 9 pm each day, some extended hours on weekends. It costs $10 a ride or you can get a pass for $19.95 which entitles you to go on as much as you want (once was enough for me) on both Speed The Ride and the Cyber Speedway, which was quite fun.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Stratosphere Swinging Chairs.....wow

by Martin_S. Updated Feb 6, 2006

Stratosphere

When you get on this ride, it looks innocent enough, you walk out onto the deck and get into a chair with your partner and the chair is ON THE BUILDING. But soon you are strapped into the chair and it lifts up off the floor and then all of a sudden you notice that the guard rail seperating you from the edge of the 100 story building has fallen over....then you also notice that the chair you are sitting in is beginning to move TOWARD that edge....and then goes OVER THE EDGE and you are sitting in a chair suspended 100 stories above Las Vegas, but the FUN (??) does not stop there. After you have been swung out over the abyss and even before you can jump back to safety they begin to rotate the chairs, and as the speed picks up the centrifugal force begins to make your chair swing back up and out which in effect leaves you looking straight DOWN !!!!
    Have fun.
    (PS: Yes that is my teenage daughter on the chair, and YES, I did stand there and let her go on this ride, and YES, I did laugh as she was asking to be let OFF after it swung out off the building, after all it was HER IDEA in the first place.....horrible father aren't I ;O)))

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Stratosphere Rooftop Rides

by Martin_S. Updated Feb 6, 2006

Stratosphere Rooftop Rides, Las Vegas

Look UP, yes UP, to see the rooftop rides on the Stratosphere, you are so far below them you can barely see them. You can see from the first picture just how far above the ground you are. The second picture shows the roller coaster. The third picture shows the "Rail Cars" which shoots you off the edge of the building. The fourth picture shows what it looks like when the rail cars reach the "end of the rail" and then drop off the end....you can see the rail car from inside the restaurant ^O^ and you can also hear the screams of the people when the car "drops" off the edge, even through the soundproof glass ...
    The last picture shows the "Swinging Chairs", looks innocent enough doesn't it, but wait till you see more........

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo

Speed The Ride

by Martinewezel Written Dec 11, 2005

Las Vegas

Height: 224 feet
    Top speed: 70 mph
    2 loopings

- Try to sit in the front seats. A great experience when you'll be launched out of the
    building! You'll make first the whole ride foreward, then backwards.
    - 10$/ ride
    - You need to be 54 inches tall to ride!

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo

Crazy Rides

by Pete.Gibson Written Sep 14, 2005

Just watch their expressions

Just go to the top of the Stratophere Hotel here are what must be without doubt the most crazy rides ever, when I was there last year (2004) there were just the two rides , I believe there are now three ? My inteetion was to go on the one which fires you out over the edge then drops about 4ft just to watch from the observation floor is a Mad ..Have a Go if you Dare

Instant Answers: Las Vegas