Las Vegas, Las Vegas

Know about this?

shot from the famous Strip, Vegas
    by marinarena
    This is what $45 of gelato looks like!
    by ottersrock
  • Las Vegas
    by shaun929
  • musiqbiz's Profile Photo

The Luxor Hotel/Casino - Las Vegas

by musiqbiz Updated Aug 21, 2010

I was walking around the Luxor Casino in Las Vegas, with my partner. We were just being "tourists" walking around taking pictures of the decor inside, and checking out the Titanic Exhibition they have there (btw they sell "authentic" pieces of coal from the Titanic there). Then we had a guy in a suit come up to us, and ask if we wanted to see any shows for free while we were in Vegas, including Cirque de Soleil, Chris Angel, George Wallace, The Lion King and a few other shows... so I asked what the catch was, and basically they want you to go to a 2 hour Time Share presentation at a resort about 5miles away... the presentations are early in the morning... then you get the tickets free after you've attended... they also offer to pay you to go to a show... you have to pay the $50 down and they'll give you coupons worth $75 plus the show tickets...

Then if you tell them you're busy and don't have time to attend... they will offer to give you 3nights/4days free to stay at the Luxor or Excalibur Hotel, if you pay $174 as a deposit, and then they give it back to you when you check in and go to the presentation, when you come back to Vegas...plus they said they'll still give me show tickets when I come back...

I walked away, as I didn't like the high pressure sales pitch... however, after I got away from them... I was walking around another floor of the Casino and a different sales rep tried to pull me into the same "deal" just at a different desk... I'm not saying you won't get what they promise you, as I didn't go ahead with it to find out... but I didn't like the way they were trying to sell it to me, and I followed my gut instinct and walked away...

Unique Suggestions: If you go into the area near the Titanic Exhibition, just be aware you might be approached, and just have an answer prepared so you don't end up getting sucked into anything you don't feel comfortable doing...

Fun Alternatives: Stay in the busy areas where the slot machines are etc

• Luxury Travel

• marinarena's Profile Photo

Well, you can't miss the celebrated Strip...

by marinarena Written Jan 8, 2009

shot from the famous Strip, Vegas

as a whole. You must do the 4 mile stretch of in-your-face glitz and sleaze, of Las Vegas Blvd South. A majority of the world's most abundant hotel properties are right here.

Unique Suggestions: Tolerate the congestion of auto traffic and pedestrians

Fun Alternatives: If The Strip is too crowded for your taste, go to somewhat less congested Nevadan gambering meccas such as Laughlin or Reno.

• Casino and Gambling

• Look past the glitter and gold

by pixytwinklz Written Dec 27, 2008

Vegas can show you places labeled as a "trap" just like any other city or country in this world. I have lived here for 5 years+ and have traveled the world. EVERY city has its traps, don't forget this is how locals make their living. I HATE when I go to other places and I have no "pull" or don't even speak the language to navigate. Please understand that you always need to be skeptical and research for yourself. I'm a native of the mid-west and was astonished when I first learned of how the people in Vegas took advantage of others, but I soon learned people can only take advantage of those that are unaware....so where does the fault really lie? I will always have a feeling of obligation to help people visiting my "now home town" so email me please with your questions and I'll answer them as quickly as I can. Remember I travel a lot, oh.. and I am working on my master's degree. Learn from life's little mistakes...

Unique Suggestions: There are numerous activities to engage in besides gaming. For example the Lied Museum, Red Rock National Park, Bonnie Springs, Death Valley, Mount Charleston, Henderson City, Primm Valley, and the atomic museum are great palces to visit. Also don't forget the Springs Preserve and the Ethel M Factory. All of these sites can be enjoyed at a very minimal cost and truly deliver a cultural enjoyment.

• $45 for 2 bowls of gelato at the Della Spiga!!???

by ottersrock Updated Oct 25, 2007

This is what $45 of gelato looks like!

In the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace there is a cafe stand offering free samples of the gourmet gelato. The gelato is very good and you can choose from 4 different serving sizes if you would like to get more than the free taste. As you are tasting and ordering your own dish of gelato from the man, there are no price lists visible in that area. Not until you get to the register with your treat do you see a very small price list. And boy what a shock it will be! $45 for 2 dishes of gelato. Most people are so shocked at the price - they just pay it and walk away in disbelief. What a scam. I guess they are not banking on repeat customers!

• Helicopter Ride with Heli USA -

by ottersrock Written Oct 18, 2007

This company describes some of the flights by miles not time. Keep this in mind!

A friend of mine signed up for the "Apollo Las Vegas Strip Night Flight" for $79 per person. It says you you have a glass of champagne before the flight, board the "jet copter" and see the strip at night. The description says you will go 22 miles. After the lengthy safety video, everyone was rushed past the champange with no time to take a glass and into the helicopter. The total time of the flight, from liftoff at the airport to touching back down at the airport, was 5 minutes. All 6 of the passengers felt very ripped off while exiting the helicopter only to pass the pilot that had his hand out expecting a tip from everyone.

• Luxury Travel
    • Adventure Travel

• ridermirv's Profile Photo

Time Share Scams

by ridermirv Written Jun 18, 2005

Avoid time share scams at all cost! These con artist will try and lure you with free night stays in casinos, but it's a lie. They take you to a conference room in a casino and give you the hard sell on their property. They will require info like a credit card# and your household income before you go in.

Time shares are never a good deal and the pitch is always underhanded.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

It's all a Tourist Trap!

by ZanieOR Updated Apr 4, 2004

All of Las Vegas is a tourist trap, but is that necessarily a bad thing?
    I personally could never see that being a tourist should have such a negative connotation. Being a tourist means that you are trying to see the sights, learning the history, and enjoying the experiences the place you are visiting has to offer.

Unique Suggestions: Since gambling is a major part of the "trap" part of Las Vegas, consider gambling money the same as the money you set aside to see the sights or eat out anywhere you go.
    Don't gamble more than you can afford to lose because you will probably lose. (Me, I usually stick to nickle video poker; the $$ lasts a lot longer).

Fun Alternatives: Visit Joseph, Oregon!

• BreezyJones's Profile Photo

Lets get real, this IS Vegas

by BreezyJones Written Jan 17, 2004
    THE TRAP IS SET FOR YOU

OK, your in Las Vegas, so you have to know that most of it is a tourist trap. But in our defense, alot of the people that work here make minnimum wage and work mainly for tips. People talk about the cab drivers, they make minnimum wage and it doesn't hurt to toss them a couple bucks. Most cabbies are just your average joe making a living. Yes, they do get a kickback from some of the strip clubs, and they do know some of the events going on. So ask a cabbie if you need some info.

The little cards those people hand you are a major problem. If you call those numbers and have a girl show up for you, it doesn't end there. They will keep sending girls to you and they will keep calling you and the next day they will call you again. Once they have your number and hotel...forget it. They don't stop. I know this because I worked in the office for all of 3 hours making appointments for these girls. Once I found out what they were doing to these people, I just couldn't do it. I got up and walked out.

Now just use your head and if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

• catalysta's Profile Photo

Surely you jest!?!

by catalysta Written Nov 28, 2003

The Strip

The entire town is one big money pit, so get ready to blow every penny you've got.

I had a free place to stay, and I won at slots, but I STILL came home broke.

Unique Suggestions: This is Vegas, the world's largest Tourist Trap, that's its sole raison d'etre.

Fun Alternatives: Hey, if it's not your cup of tea, go to Lake Mead or Redrock Canyon.

• AmericanH's Profile Photo

Everything In Las Vegas Is A Tourist Trap

by AmericanH Updated Feb 22, 2003
    Souvenir Coins

The Las Vegas Strip and The Downtown Area are setup to attract tourists. Once you get past the fact, that Las Vegas is a major tourist trap, you will find that it is designed to give you maximine pleasure for the amount of money you spend. It does not matter, if you are high roller or a family on a budget, this town will cater to your needs. There is something for everyone and you will have a great time spending money.

Unique Suggestions: Casino souvenir coins are my 1 tourist trap weakness. You can buy them at the casino change booth for their face value of $10.00 or you can try to win 1 out of the slot machine. I always opt for the slot. So far my luck has held out and I usally only spend around $7.00 per coin. The 1 exception was at The Golden Gate Casino. I am in for over $40.00 and still do not have a coin from there. The floor guy kept telling me to just go buy 1 from the change boooth, but I would not listen.

• Vegas? A Tourist Trap? Nawwww

by RobDavis Updated Sep 30, 2002

The Excalibur

There is only one Tourist Trap in Las Vegas. It is located in the center of the city and radiates for 50 miles on all sides. Say goodbye to your money before you go in, and you'll have a much better time.

Unique Suggestions: Be comfortable with the fact that you will lose money. If you win money, consider yourself lucky, jump up and down, brag to your friends, but then stop gambling.

• LowBrow's Profile Photo

Strip Clubs

by LowBrow Updated Aug 30, 2002

Isn't this town evil (in the best way) enough with the gambling? Since you are in Las Vegas, we know you have little or no self control, you are a sucker. Be prepared to hand over what little money you have left, and if you are weak enough to have brought a credit card, well, bankruptcy isn't as much of a stigma these days.

Again, not that I'm complaining, we're all sinners, it's just nice to be able to afford the buffet at Mandalay bay.

• LowBrow's Profile Photo

Las Vegas

by LowBrow Updated Aug 30, 2002

Seriously, this whole place is a trap. I'm not complaining, I just think we all need to be adults and admit it. Most of the fun of Vegas is thinking that *you* are gonna be the one to beat the system, and avoid the trap. Ha!

• luv2learn's Profile Photo

Hello! The whole city is a...

by luv2learn Written Aug 26, 2002

Hello! The whole city is a tourist trap! But if you don't gamble (or even if you do) you can still have lots of fun for little money if you take the place in small doses and vow to not let it get to you!

• feline01's Profile Photo

Vegas is the quintessential tourist trap!

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

View of the Strip from the Stratosphere.

Everything in Vegas is a tourist trap. Las Vegas was created as a tourist trap. Just go there expecting that and you'll have a great time. Don't expect culture and sophistication, you will just be disappointed.

Instant Answers: Las Vegas