Plane/Helicopeter/Airport, Las Vegas

Know about this? Rate It!

• Plane/Helicopeter/Airport
  • Plane/Helicopeter/Airport
    by kris-t
    Slot machines at the terminal
  • deecat's Profile Photo

Unique Airport

by deecat Updated Jan 31, 2011

Slots at the Vegas Airport

McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas, Nevada, serves Las Vegas and surrounding Clark County, Nevada. It is located about five miles south of the central business district. This is the airport that we flew into in January of 2011. We flew United Airlines. Our flight was right on time, and as entered, we both smiled because the first items that we saw were slot machines! We learned that this airport has more than $1300 slot machines throughout the airport terminals. [See photo #1 where my friend Mickey is pretending to use one of these slots. ] Another unique item about this airport is the Palm Trees that are evident.

On our trip back to Chicago, we spent a few hours here because our plan was delayed because of its origin not having the proper personnel needed. It is a very clean airport with lots of places to shop and eat. We ended up eating there before our plane arrived. Ironically, we made up the time on the flight home, and our flight was on time after all.

McCarran International Airport is a hub for U.S. Airways which operated more flights out of McCarran than at any other airport.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Flying to Las Vegas and getting to the Strip

by sue_stone Written Oct 17, 2008

Welcome to Las Vegas!

After spending 8 nights in California, we were then going to Las Vegas. We toyed with the idea of driving there, but after advice from the travel forum suggesting there wasn't really much worth seeing along the way, we decided to fly.

We dropped our hire car at San Francisco Airport and flew from there, with Virgin America. The flight took around 1 hour and 15 minutes. We enjoyed flying with Virgin, and I thought that their safety demonstration video was one of the best I have ever seen. It was funny, which kept my attention, and seemed to explain the safety procedures more clearly than usual. I also liked that I was able to choose our seats when I booked the flights, and online check in was easy too.

As we approached Las Vegas McCarran International Airport I was very excited to be able to see the Strip from my window seat on the plane. The airport is located really close to the Strip. After landing, we walked into the terminal and I was amused that one of the first things I saw were slot machines! We really were in Las Vegas.

Once we had collected our bags, we followed the signs to the taxi rank, which had a well organised queuing system. In no time at all we were on our way to our hotel, the Bellagio. The fare cost about $20 including tip, and the journey took around 15-20 minutes, and much of that time was spent sitting in a traffic jam just off the Strip.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

With a wing and a dinosaur!

by shrimp56 Updated Jun 19, 2006

There are many nonstop flights from Chicago to Las Vegas. If you are flying on United you will probably see this dinosaur exhibit from the Field Museum in concourse B.
    The best flights west are on sunny days in a window seat -- we're over the Rockies here -- and only an hour from FUN!!!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

The fun starts at McCarran International Airport!

by shrimp56 Written May 31, 2003

The minute you get off the plane in Las Vegas you are bombarded by visual and aural enticements to spend your money -- if not in the many slot machines, then in the many stores. Everything is bright and flashing. The only places I didn't see slots were in the security line and baggage claim!
    If you land at the C or D gates you take a convenient train to transfer to the main terminal.

• engitalunion's Profile Photo

Helicopter to the Grand Canyon

by engitalunion Written Apr 1, 2005

The Luxor by air

There were 6 of us and we took a Helicopter to the Grand Canyon ,Arizona and landed in it for a Champagne Lunch .
    On return we flew over the strip which was quite an experience --- we passed close to the Stratosphere Tower restaurant [ floor 107 ] where we had dinner the previous evening .
    A large stretch limo takes you to and fro the airport .

• Luxury Travel

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Aircraft /Airplane

by freddie18 Written Jan 16, 2009

Aircraft Just Took Off the McCarran Intl Airport

Definitely lot of airlines flying to and from Las Vegas - McCarran International Airport. It was convenient at the airport from checking in for my airline to the immigration and security formalities. No problem with the United Airlines which looks like most flights are on time.

Some of the airlines/airplane taking off and landing at the McCarran International Airport are:
    AeroMexico - Air Canada - AirTran - Alaska - Allegiant - American Airlines, BMI - Condor - Continental Airlines - Delta Airlines - Frontier - Hawaiian Airlines - JetBlue Airways - Korean Air - Mexicana - Midwest Airlines - Northwest Airlines - Philippine Airlines - Ryan International Airlines - Southwest - Spirit Airlines - Sun Country Airlines - Sun Wing - Ted Airlines - Thomas Cook - United Airlines - US Airways - Virgin America - Virgin Atlantic - WestJet

For contact and other detailed information on these airlines, visit the link I provided below.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Las Vegas McCarran airport

by Dabs Written Jul 31, 2007

One of the reasons I contemplated not leaving the airport was tales of 2 hour security lines, I suppose I could have played my injury card and called for a wheelchair had that happened but it turned out security was only about 10 minutes when I went through on a Tuesday, I think Sunday is probably the worst day of the week with all the weekend visitors heading home.

I had a connecting flight, arriving into D and leaving from C, in order to move between the two terminals without having to check back through security, check with the TSA personnel BEFORE leaving the secured area and they might let you through, they didn't check to see if I had a boarding pass or even an itinerary which I thought a bit odd, why not just open it up then?

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

McCarran airport

by marielexoteria Updated Jan 6, 2010

At McCarran airport

McCarran airport is one of these "no frills" airports, not too big, not too small. In case you didn't get enough of gambling at the casinos, they have some slot machines on the terminals. It took 30-40 minutes for us to go from the airport to the Excalibur but 15-20 minutes from the hotel to the airport.

As always, allow enough time to check in, baggage drop and security check at the airport.

As of Nov 2009, they offer FREE Wifi on the terminals and with quick internet access too. I used it while waiting to board the plane at the gate.

• doug48's Profile Photo

shuttle or taxi ?

by doug48 Written Jan 27, 2008

there is no public transportation to and from mcarran airport. you have two options, take a private shuttle or a taxi. if staying on the south strip, ie the area around the MGM it is best to take a taxi. if you are staying in the central or north strip or downtown a shuttle will be considerably cheaper. the only problem with a shuttle is that they may make several stops and takes more time than a taxi. if you are in a hurry to get to the airport a taxi will your best option.

• Business Travel

• Jefie's Profile Photo

McCarran International Airport - Terminal 2

by Jefie Written Dec 14, 2008

The Mandalay Bay and Luxor seen from the airport

Since we were flying with Air Canada, we arrived and departed from the much smaller Terminal 2. There were a couple of souvenir shops, some fast food options for lunch, and the few unavoidable slot machines. Since there wasn't much to do while we were waiting for our flight, we were happy to see that free wireless Internet access was available throughout the terminal. It gave me some time to catch up on my VT mails!

• csordila's Profile Photo

Flight to the Grand Canyon

by csordila Updated Oct 30, 2008

Grand Canyon Airport

We were picked up early in the morning at our hotel - Tropicana hotel in Las Vegas - and delivered to the Airport. Flight from Boulder Airport to the Grand Canyon.
    Tour began with a flight over Lake Mead and Hoover Dam before flying to the South Rim. (The Hoover Dam on Colorado River creates Lake Mead at the border of Nevada-Arizona.
    Length 379 m, height 221 m.)
    From Grand Canyon Airport motorcoach tour with more stops at South Rim. The Grand Canyon, one of the wonders of the world, has been created by Colorado River cutting through rock for two billion years.The canyon is 446 km long, from 6 to 24 kilometers wide and more than a mile deep.
    Late afternoon back to Las Vegas.
    Duration cca. 8 hours including more than 2 hours flight. Price was about $200,- pro Person. Everything was allright.

• National/State Park

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Las Vegas Airport

by kris-t Written Nov 28, 2012

You know you are in Las Vegas right away - slot machines, they are everywhere throughout the airport, more than 1,234 units! If you're over 21, enjoy!

McCarran International is located just minutes away from the Strip. It's served by taxicabs operated by various companies. The airport is further served by RTC Transit, the public bus service of the Las Vegas valley.

RTC buses stop at Terminal 1 outside the Zero Level.

• Photography

• St_Vincent's Profile Photo

Birds Eye View

by St_Vincent Written Dec 24, 2005

For about $75 you can get the ultimate view of Vegas by taking an evening helicopter flight over the Strip. It only lasts about 15 minutes but it's well worth it. There are two or three companies providing this service and I booked my trip through www.vegas.com

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Airport to the Strip and Back

by Roadquill Written Oct 26, 2005

The shuttle from the airport to the strip is $5.00, but you have to wait up to 10 minutes before the shuttle leaves and you may need to shuttle around for up to an hour while if there are many passengers, each going to a different hotel.

The taxi's are not that more expensive. $12.00 to the airport from the Strip at Flamingo. I even shared the ride and it cost on $6.00.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

BMI

by bugalugs Updated Sep 24, 2005

We flew with BMI from Manchester, England, non stop to Las Vegas. The service and food are exceptional with BMI. Took just over 10 hours to get there and about 8.hrs 30 mins on our return journey.

Instant Answers: Las Vegas