Do's / Don'ts', Las Vegas

Know about this?

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Leave the high heels at home!

by Yaqui Updated Aug 22, 2009

I understand that some folks like to hang out at the clubs in some of the casino's and dressing up is probably a must. Yet, we I saw these gals where these 5 inch heeled shoes walking along the strip, well I think your nuts! Don't do it! Bring some extra shoes that might fit in your bag like a pair of cute sketchers. We saw a couple of gals carrying their fancy high heeled shoes, while wearing some sketchers that actually matched their outfits. I thought they looked really cute. Yet, some gals had these 5 inched heels shoes walking up and down the strip, but later that evening she was carrying her shoes and walking barefoot...figures, but now she was barefoot and that was not safe.

So Ladies, you can look just as nice with some low heels shoes or even some flats. Your choice, the malls are huge and so is the strip.

• Photography

• DO be aware of your purse and wallet!

by Jabberjenn Updated Mar 17, 2004

Cute purses!  (And safe from pickpockets!)

Obviously, with any big city, you must be aware of your surroundings and make sure your wallet is in a safe place. I do encourage women to use purses that zip shut and that have a strap that can go diagonal across one shoulder (or those new, cute styles that have a very small strap that fits snugly over one shoulder, like in the picture) and I also encourage men to keep their wallets in their front pocket. I really don't want to freak anyone out, but it is something to be aware of at all times!

There are many outdoor shows in Vegas: Bellagio's water show, Treasure Island's pirate ship battle, the Mirage's volcano, Fremont Street Experience, etc. These events can get quite crowded, and many times you will find yourself shoulder to shoulder with others. Common sense says that it is wise to realize a simple bump from behind may be just that, or it may be someone attempting to grab some cash. Many people are looking to make a quick buck in Vegas, and many try to do that by pickpocketing others!

Here is some safety information if you are interested:

• deecat's Profile Photo

Always use the Walkways

by deecat Updated Jan 31, 2011

Walkway between the Bellagio and Caesar's Palace

One of the great tips that our airport shuttle bus driver gave us was to always use the walkways. He told us that crossing major intersections was a really bad idea and that jaywalking was a real bad idea since the fine was gigantic. Many tragic accidents happen when these suggestions are ignored.

Mickey and I always used them and found them a real convenience and time saver. Since walking was one of our most popular means of travel around the Vegas Strip, these cross walks helped us immensely.

Locations:
    a. Between the Tropicana and New York-New York, the MGM and the Excalibur at Las Vegas Boulevard.
    b. Between the Bellagio, Caesars Palace, Bill's Gamblin'Hall & Saloon and Bally's at Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo.
    c. Between Mirage and the Venetian.

Fortunately, there are escalators and elevators as well as stairs up to the walkways.

TAKE HEED AND USE THE WALKWAYS

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• Never use the ATM in the casinos!!

by Reactor Written Oct 17, 2003

Just for fun, go up to the ATM's in the casinos and look at how much they charge for fees. I kid you not - $9 to take out $20! And it goes up from there. Believe it or not, the ATMs on the street are much less. Still like $2.50 but better than the casino. If you don't need much cash, a good trick is to go to a drugstore that takes debit cards, then buy a pack of gum or something cheap with your ATM card and get cash back. There's usually like a $40 max, but you also only get charged 50 cents.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

The Stone Man at the Las Vegas Strip

by joiwatani Written Apr 12, 2009

We passed by a group of people and had to stop when I saw this guy, whom he called himself,The Stone Man. He is dressed in a metallic suit with his face in silver paint. You can hear him making all these beep, beep noises synchronized each time he moved his body like a robot.

I took a video of him because he is groping women while this women get close to him to take pictures. He actually even touches the women in their napes, ears and kiss them on their necks! With the children, he gave them lollipops from his pocket.

With this kind of modus operandi of this guy, I would not even dare get close to him! He is a freak! My children even said that loudly while he was kissing all those women who gets close to him.

You will see this guy on the streets. Don't even bother get close to him. If you do, you are exposing yourself to groping!

Please watch my video how he gropes women!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Have The Correct ID

by johngayton Written Jul 22, 2006

As I say on my intro page, I don't know whether I was just unlucky in getting a particularly officious desk clerk but it seems that the local law requires valid photo ID from all hotel guests before allowing check-in, not just that of the person paying the bill. Also you must be over 21.

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

The Beautiful People

by HotRodEtte Updated Sep 8, 2005

You are going to encounter every type of person in Vegas. I am one who gets intimidated by the fake boobs, the perfect bodies, the model-esque looking folks. Knowing you will walk in to a club surrounded by these gorgeous people only encourages one to look their best!!! :) Dress to impress! It may even help you get ahead in the lines and score a free drink or 2!

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Don't walk below Stratosphere

by ZanieOR Written Apr 4, 2004

Don't even think of walking from the Stratosphere to downtown on Las Vegas Blvd. at night. It's supposedly a dangerous area, and there's nothing there to see except some seedy looking businesses and a wedding chapel or two.

• Hiking and Walking

• globetrotter_2006's Profile Photo

Eating before a flight

by globetrotter_2006 Written Mar 10, 2006

If you are going to take a flight from Vegas to see the Grand Canyon, be prepared to fly on a small propeller plane. Make sure you don't do like my friend Anders and eat several burgers before the flight or it will all come OUT !!

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Hot but dangerous

by HotRodEtte Updated Jun 16, 2006

No matter how good looking he/she is, do NOT let them bring you drinks without going up to the bar with them, and don't go back to "party" with them. You may wake up with an extremely empty wallet and all your valuables on your person GONE. I have seen this on television and I know for a fact that it does happen in real life. There are a lot of shady people in Vegas that will do anything for money, and most of the time good looks will work in their favor. They have a way of making you think they're interested in you, only for you to wake up flat broke and stripped of anything worth value--INCLUDING a kidney!!
    In addition, prostitutes in Vegas may strike up a conversation with you to try & get you hooked into spending time with someone you think is interested, only to come to you at the end of the day to hit you up for money that you "owe" them for their services (you don't necessarily have to sleep with them; their time alone is worth money in their eyes). If you don't pay, their pimp will be hot on your trail!

• mapakettle's Profile Photo

Don't hold on to your winning vouchers overnight..

by mapakettle Updated Feb 20, 2011

The days of tumbling coins have come to an end in Vegas. No loud tinkling of coin dropping from the hopper into the buckets anymore. We have become a cashless society, at least from the casino payout point of view.

All wins are printed on a voucher which the customer takes to the ATM/Bill Breaker for payout. Be aware that these printouts are time sensitive, so don't carry them about with plans to cash in before you hit the hay. You might forget, and find a winning voucher in your shirt pocket as you're unpacking. Look around for a machine, and cash the voucher immediately.

Vouchers expire quickly. Don't even count on a twenty four hour period of grace. Why chance it. Plus, casinos DO NOT honour each others vouchers.

• f500vips's Profile Photo

WATCH YOUR STUFF!!! DON'T BLAME THE CASINO!

by f500vips Written Jul 4, 2008

I'm in the Security Department. When people come here to gamble or stay they think they can just leave their suit cases alone, or their purses next to them, etc. We call it being Careless, Stupid, or what ever you want! Yes we have lots of coverage and people around the casino and in the hotel but you are to watch your OWN stuff! We don't baby-sit here! Vegas is Cool and nice to visit but when you get careless about your stuff, someone will see it and (barrow) it. Because they see you don't care if someone takes off with it! So watch your Stuff! Also if ANY BODY comes up to you trying to sell you something, or DISTRACK your attention YELL OUT, SECURITY!!! We can't wait to get the bad guy or lady! Also watch the over 60 looking men or women! They look harmless but will trick you or distract you for your money or something! Don't let anyone get change for you! Do it yourself! The thing that makes us mad is when something does happen to you and you wait almost 30 minutes to tell Security! So watch your OWN stuff! It's YOUR problem! And NO, it does not happen all the time.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Tow Away Zones

by Yaqui Written May 27, 2013

We stay pretty much at the same resort, the Grand Desert. At times it may appear there is no parking, but there usually plenty outside and in the parking garage. We never have a problem finding a spot. Yes, you may have to walk some, but the elevator is not that far and security is always walking around.

It was obvious the last time, that there are folks who do not want to have to walk far to the elevators. I understand, but I wouldn't want to get a ticket either or worse yet, but towed away. Well, this person was lucky they were not towed away. Next time they probably will not be lucky.

Also, by parking this way, it makes it hard for the individuals who need to back out of their spots too.

If you cannot walk and need someone to park your car, I am sure the hotel or resort can provide you that service. Just ask.

• blubee's Profile Photo

LOST IN OBLIVION

by blubee Updated Feb 21, 2005

Las vegas hotels are so huge that one can esily get lost. Always remember where you got in and where you got out. With so many entrance and exits, one can easily get lost. Learn to look or memorize the landmarks. One can get lost amidst the maze of endless intertwining rows and rows of jackpot machines. They are just everywhere. In front of the hotel, in the midst and at the back. I will not be surprised if one day even the restrooms have jackpot machines.

• Fredmont Street, don't fall for the fortune teller

by laura149 Written Jun 22, 2005

The only complaint I have with Fredmont Street is the fortune tellers. It was the fourth of July, and I was trashed. A woman approached me and offered to tell me my fortune. For kicks, and $10, I did it, even after my friend warned me it was a waste of money. She told me I would have 3 kids, and fall in love in 6 months, etc. I go back to my friend, and she says, "let me guess...you're going to have 3 kids and fall in love in the next six months." Thinking she had overheard, I laughed it off. The next day she told me that the same lady read her fortune and told her the exact same thing. Oops.

• School Holidays