Places to Avoid, Las Vegas

by gravy.
  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

Be Aware Of Your Surroundings

by Yaqui Updated Apr 19, 2009

As fun and exciting Las Vegas may be to many. There are many areas you need to always be aware of. Vegas has tried to make this area as safe as they can, but you need to be responsible for your own safety too. Fremont Street is exciting and fun, but I would recommend you stay within the confines of the main strip. When myself and my hubby ventured along Fremont street enjoying the Neon Displays they had along in the middle of the street, it was sort of outside the confines of the main area and we were a little uncomfortable. Although, we did not encure any trouble, but just something to think about. You should always keep that in mind even when in the parking garages on Fremont Street and the Las Vegas Strip

Stay in lighted areas and do not wonder off in areas you are not familiar with.

LAS VEGAS METROPOLITAN POLICE DEPARTMENT
    3141 SUNRISE AVENUE
    LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89101

• Photography

• JanPeter74's Profile Photo

Watch out in Downtown Las Vegas

by JanPeter74 Written Apr 8, 2004

Like in any other big city, pay attention when you go to downtown Las Vegas to avoid dark and deserted places. Stick to main roads and busy places.

On the Strip you won't be having this experience, because there seem to be people everywhere on the Strip.

• Christlike's Profile Photo

Sirens of TI

by Christlike Updated Jan 29, 2006

Originally, Treasure Island had a really cool pirate show, where pirates fight against the Britts. However, the show was changed last summer, which reopened October 26, 2003. This show is the worst show I have ever seen anywhere! There are not enough negative words to describe this show.

Treasure Island tried to add sex appeal to their show, but what they did was ruin the entire show altogether. Pirates battle (if you call it that) against the Sirens (from Homer's: The Odyssey). We are not talking about awesome sword play, but more like carefully clinging swords together in a gaylike fashion. There are a few special effects here and there, but not enough to make a difference. After the battle is over, all the characters bust out with some type of poorly choreographed dance routine; which they dance to some terrible loud music; which is played by one of the Sirens on the steal drums.

Just about the entire time I was there, I was thinking to myself, "I can't wait for this show to be over," which never seemed to end. And the worse part is, once you start watching, there is no way of escape. Everyone was packed into the show like sardines or fans at a Mexican soccer game (you get my point). And once the show was over, mass chaos in trying to get free. It must have taken us 20 minutes of pushing, kicking, screaming, and farting, to go 100 feet. Luckily I had my two-year old son in a stroller to run people over with.

Do yourself the biggest favor and skip this one. And don?t go just so you can write your own Virtual Tourist page. To make matters worse, Treasure Island took down their most famous skull & crossbones sign and changed it with a digital screen formed together by the lowercase letters of "t" & "i." This is another big mistake, because you can hardly make out what's on the screen. I?ll bet some people are going to loose their jobs over these new disasters.

In conclusion, don't go!!!

However, if you somehow feel compelled to go, the show times are as follows:

5:30pm / 7pm / 8:30pm / 10pm ? 7 days a week

• Fremont st. experience.Don't venture too far away

by makemywayrounthecity Updated Sep 29, 2003

the Fremont st. experience is bright,exciting,alluring,and beautiful. It is also in the heart of downtown which is a very dangerous area after dark(and usually before as well).If you find yourself there,stay on fremont st. and if you're heading to the strip leaving downtown, stay on las vegas blvd. The side streets in the downtown area are very gang-infested and most eastern cities seem tame. It is not a joke so stay on Fremont st. all the way to las vegas blvd. and take a left towards the strip and be cautious until you get to desert inn blvd. then you can relax.

• Pittman. If you like living ,don't sightsee here

by makemywayrounthecity Updated Sep 29, 2003

Pittman is about 2.5-3 miles from downtown but there are resorts in this area that draw tourists as well. I grew up in this area and saw many tourists get robbed and worse.If you visit the Skyline casino or the Joker's wild,fine,just stay on the main highway.Get a street map and find the triangle area between boulder hwy.,sunset rd.,and pabco rd. and x it out. Not a tourist friendly place!!

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

Stay on the prettier side of the street

by iam1wthee Updated Aug 23, 2007

At night avoid the side where the Flamingo is I was approached by a very disrespectful young man and it took a lot for me not to slap the spit out of him. For some reason that side of the street has a lot of hustlers. Even in the daytime some of the salesman over on that side of the street were very rude. They call people names and make fun of them if they don't buy what they are selling.

This is why I prefer to walk where Ceasars, Bellagio, Mirage, Treasure Island side of the street. The Ballys and Bill's Gambling Hall and saloon area is not to bad either.

• Going to Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada

by Azsdiver Updated Jul 19, 2006

I just visited Las Vegas for the first time in 25 years. If you go to Fremont street use the bus, shuttle or taxi. I used the bus and was surprised how from the Stratosphere to Fremont Street was not a place I would walk at night. I would not wonder to far from Fremont street on foot. There are a lot of gangs in the area and do not carry more than you can afford to lose to the slot machine or being mugged. I did not have any problems but be careful when traveling.

• krizt's Profile Photo

North Las Vegas

by krizt Written Jun 18, 2003

North Las Vegas- North of downtown- is probably the worst place in Vegas. Or al least it was when I lived there. There's NOTHING to see there so just don't go! That's where most of the gang activity occurs in the city and the most violence.
    If it has changed please let me know!

• Christlike's Profile Photo

The Buffet at "Terrible's"

by Christlike Updated Jul 6, 2003

Thankfully I can say that I have never been to eat at the buffet at Terrible's, but I have done lots of research into web sites, which many people have left feedback regarding their visit. They have said that the school cafeteria is much better and that you are better off going to McDonalds, which actually there is one located inside Terrible's. Some said, "The name speaks for itself." Another person said, "They must have come up with the name of the place after an eating in the buffet." If you couldn’t careless about what food tastes like, then you will probably want to visit here, because there prices are quite reasonable. If you are going to gamble with your life at Terrible's, then you will want to get the best offer. In the Entertainment Book, there are "3" buy-1-get-1-free coupons. Here is the following prices of the buffet:

~ Breakfast: $4.99 (7am - 10am)
    ~ Lunch: $6.99 (11am - 3pm)
    ~ Sunday champagne lunch brunch: $8.99
    ~ Dinner (Thursday): $12.99 (4pm - 10pm) This is a seafood brunch!
    ~ Dinner (Fri. - Wed.): $9.99 (4pm - 10pm)

Terrible's is located at 4100 Paradise Rd. on the corner of Flamingo Ave. & Paradise Rd., on the east side of Las Vegas Blvd. Its not to far from the strip.

~ Ezekiel 16:27
    ___________________

• Traveller_'s Profile Photo

going from the strip to fremont street

by Traveller_ Written Sep 21, 2004

the wedding drive in :)

The distance from the Strip to Fremont street is about 10-15 miles. We went there by bus, but first we were planning to walk there. Walking there is not the safest way to get there, the distance is not so long but the the neighborhoods looks like ***(allthough from the window of the bus). And in the Fremont street we decided to look around the area nearby. Only to blocks away from fremont we decided to go back. And all this was in day time!

• Always be alert

by lizzyp3 Written Nov 1, 2010

I've lived in Vegas for a year now and feel I can share a little bit of what I've learned. No matter where you are in the city you really need to be vigilant, as crime can happen anywhere. If you're planning to go to the main strip area (Caesar's Palace, Bellagio, Mirage, Treasure Island, etc), you should be pretty safe as long as you stay on the boulevard. Don't go down the alleys or side streets as a lot of drug deals etc happen there. Also be alert in the parking garages. Once you get past the Encore casino heading north, you should be extra cautious.. between there and the Stratosphere is more dangerous. If you're planning on visiting Fremont Street and downtown, be very cautious and stick to the boulevard. Stay where there are lots of people. Downtown is a very scary place, especially at night. As far as other areas besides the strip and downtown, I know the area around the air force base is dangerous and the area of Martin Luther King Blvd between Cheyenne and the I-15 has a lot of shady neighborhoods. North Las Vegas definitely has it's share of run-down neighborhoods but they're mostly as you get closer to downtown going south. The farther north you go, the nicer the areas tend to be.

• birchy99's Profile Photo

Stay On the Strip!!!

by birchy99 Written Oct 2, 2006

When we left the Monte Carlo after our great dinner at Blackstones, we unknowingly exited by the rear entrance. But not to worry, a driveway promised to take us around the building and out to the Strip. Whoops, dead end...deliveries only.
    So, not to be detered, we scanned the horizon and saw our hotel, Caesar's, in the distance and we headed out across a construction site. Now, picture this: An 80 year old grandmother, a young lady in high heel spikes, Another lady with a gimpy knee, Mrs. B, and three men to guide the way. No, we didn't think to backtrack.
    As we stumbled through the construction site we could see an entrance about three blocks away. We sent our scouts up ahead to reconnoiter. Yes, it was an exit onto the Strip. Meanwhile, security is alerted...The Man drives up and says, "You can't re-enter this parking lot once you leave."
    Man,we didn't want to go back. We were like the pioneers crossing the desert, limping along, stumbling over whatever. We exited and never looked back. Come to find out we were traversing the Bellagio employees parking lot.
    And all we had to do was retrace our way back through the Monte Carlo...but why do the obvious?

• Hiking and Walking

• ricknkat's Profile Photo

Areas to avoid in Vegas

by ricknkat Updated Oct 8, 2002

Unless you are going to a bush league ballgame at Cashman Field (on LV Blvd. north), DO NOT wander north of the freeway (I-95) on the Strip. Unless you specifically want to score some crack or donate plasma, just stay out of this area. There are plenty of creeps and characters downtown to entertain you without risking your life. Also stay away from Fremont street once it goes beyond the Downtown area (again, unless you are looking to score some speed or cheap action from one of the many disease-ridden crackwhores in this area). I personally feel totally safe night or day everywhere except north Las Vegas/ north of I-95. ( I actually enjoy soaking in the seedy/ "iffy" areas of our fair city and I hope this warning won't intimidate you from doing so as well. Check out the map for details of my suggestions.

• Fremont St and NLV

by silvio425 Written Aug 11, 2005

I agree with what the others have said...do not wonder off Fremont Street and avoid North Las Vegas. In addition, I would avoid Maryland Ave and sidestreets off the main strip.
    I had mixed feelings of the Fremont Street Experience. It's nice to see all the lights and the famous "Vegas Vic" sign but other than that I wouldn't recommend leaving the poshness of the strip to come to downtown. You see a difference in clientele on Fremont Street than those on the Strip.

• Las Vegas Casino Bars

by harley883 Written Jun 25, 2008

Be careful about getting ripped of for drinks in caisno bars and clubs.
    Most of these places will let you in for free but when you get to the bar they'll fleece you and take the shirt off your back.
    One example is the House of Blues bar in Mandalay bay casino. Now I'm not talking about the HOB club/venue itself but the bar right next to it where they have a little stage at the front, some seating/stools and a bar at the back.
    Beer not so bad ($7/8) but we ordered a Red Bull & Vodka and got hit for 16 dollars! Also the bar girl was a real misery, spilled our beer all over bar wehn she slammed it down and could have turned the milk sour with her face when we refused to budge until she gave us another. Silly girl!

Instant Answers: Las Vegas