Virginia City Shopping

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Mark Twain's Books: Bookworms Will Love This Little Bookstore

by mcpangie Updated Jan 19, 2004
    They Won't Let You Sit In His Lap

Visiting this bookstore will help provide some insight into the life of Samuel Clemens. It was here in Virginia City that Clemens adopted the pen name Mark Twain. He lived in Virginia City in the 1860's sometime for nearly two years working as a reporter for the Territorial Enterprise.

The place also has all kinds of old memorabilia to look at, and as you’ll see in the “tourist trap” tips section, an old player piano that you can drop a quarter in. To tell you the truth a lot of the shops up in Virginia City would fit that “tourist trap” concept. But at least at Mark Twain Books, you will find something interesting to bring home and read. If you are a bookworm, stop in here!

What to buy: "Mark Twain: His Life In Virginia City, Nevada" by George Williams III. That book brings to life the young Samuel Clemens. Apparently he was quite the character when he lived in Virginia City.

Besides books about Mark Twain, you will find all kinds of great local interest books about mining and Nevada history. There is a section devoted to books about the ghosts of Nevada, so you can find out where to find the spooks while you are in Virginia City. That’s my favorite part because I’m a scardey cat.

What to pay: You'll pay the cover price, making it one of the only good deals in Virginia City that I saw for shopping.

Costs a quarter to play the "juke box".

• National/State Park

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

Renaissance Jewelry Shop: Buy your Silver in Virginia City

by Geoff_Wright Updated Jul 7, 2003

The main street

Jewelery shop. What made it so special? Well, courtesy of the internet, I had had orders from Mary that she would like a pair of earrings. It so happened that the Renaissance Jewelry Shop was almost the last shop in town, on my way out. And, in the window, I saw some delightful silver drop pendant earrings. So in I went, and the friendly staff showed me what they had to offer. I actually purchased the first earrings I had seen - in the window!

What to buy: All types of jewelery/jewelry (whichever you prefer!), including bracelents and earrings.

It was due to the kindness of one of the shop staff that I eventually found myself at Emerald Bay, on Lake Tahoe. She told me that Emerald Bay had the most wonderful sunsets.

What to pay: Not telling you lot what I paid, but the prices seemed very reasonable.

Instant Answers: Virginia City

Comments

Virginia City Shopping

Reviews and photos of Virginia City shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Virginia City sightseeing.

View all Virginia City hotels