Center Tuftonboro Travel Guide

Dan Hole Pond

Center Tuftonboro Favorites

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

by Krumlovgirl Written Nov 3, 2006

Favorite thing: Dan Hole Pond was the body of water (looks more like a small lake than a pond) around the place where I lived. I could see it from my window. On Wikipedia there is a small description:

"Dan Hole Pond is a 408-acre water body located in Carroll County in eastern New Hampshire, United States, in the towns of Ossipee and Tuftonboro. The pond is situated on the south side of the Ossipee Mountains. Water exits Dan Hole Pond via the Dan Hole River, part of the Ossipee Lake watershed and ultimately that of the Saco River in Maine."

I don't know much about the geography of the pond, but after talking to several people in Wolfeboro about it, found some interesting stories. Some people claimed that it was built atop some ancient volcanoes, which would certainly fit in with the general geography of the area. There were also some stories that it was home to some underwater caves which were said to be haunted. As a matter of fact, when I told one local woman where I was living, she replied, "Well, if it's anywhere near Dan Hole Pond then you've got all kinds of ghosts to deal with." So there you go. I could never get any clear stories on what I was supposed to be haunted BY, but there was definitely a connsensus that it was SOMETHING.

I personally never saw or felt anything near it, but I did find it strange that as much as I enjoy being around bodies of water, I only took a couple of small walks near it. I never felt comfortable. It wasn't necessarily a bad feeling, just not an altogether pleasant one.

Instant Answers: Center Tuftonboro

Comments

Center Tuftonboro Travel Guide
Map of Center Tuftonboro