Related New Hampshire Favorites Tips

• Horse drawn carriages always lure my camera
    Horse drawn carriages always lure my...
    by Pawtuxet

Most Viewed Favorites in New Hampshire

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Lake Winnepesauke

by syllybabe Written Sep 11, 2005

Favorite thing: Somebody told me there are over a thousand lakes in NH. I wasn't sure if that was accurate so I looked...apparently, there are over 250 lakes and ponds all over the state.

Lake Winnepesauke is a big, beautiful lake that covers 72 sq. miles in Central NH.

Fondest memory: Sitting on the deck with friends on a summer afternoon

• Water Sports
    • Kayaking
    • Sailing and Boating

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

the things you miss when you are in a rush...

by richiecdisc Updated Aug 11, 2005

Fondest memory: I found myself nearing White Mountain National Forrest with a bit of a chip on my shoulder. Though I knew there might be nicer and far less crowded trails in the park, I felt an irrepressible urge to climb that states claim to fame. It was the tail end of a five-week trip around New England and the Maritimes, during which we had tackled most likely the more tough Mount Katahdin in Maine so I found myself feeling pretty confident. Not expecting great weather in early October, I had not prepared any information on the area. It had after all been a long trip with lots of details to coordinate so I left this portion of the trip up to the whims of nature to decide. Of course, as is generally the case, you get the best conditions when you are least ready for them. It had been an Indian Summer and the leaves were finally changing so we enjoyed the colorful foliage as we made our virgin drive through the eastern side of the park. The sun sets early and fast that time of year so we were a bit hurried to get a spot and set up camp. In so doing, we drove right by the rangers' office and they could have explained that the shortest though steepest climb of Mount Washington started pretty much right there. But I had not succumbed wholly to this drive to climb the mighty peak and sped instead to a campground in a prettier area of the park. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

fall foliage from the road in NH

The Connecticut River Valley

by deecat Updated Jun 5, 2005

Favorite thing: I'm sure you've heard of Dartmouth College located in Hanover. Hanover is located in the River Valley between New Hampshire and Vermont.

This ninth oldest college in the nation is located in the heart of the town. What a pretty town it is with darling well-kept houses, unique shops, and several fine restaurants. The college buildings add to the old-fashioned look of the area.

On campus, we visited the Hood Museum of Art. Here, we saw some fine collections of Native American, African, European, and Asian art.

If you follow the Connecticut River up from Hanover, you'll be able to see several little villages, one after the other. Orford is the most famous because Washington Irving said it was "the most beautiful place he had seen in all of the United States and Europe"!

Fondest memory: Orford is, indeed, beautiful with a row of seven mansions built between 1773-1839.

These mansions overlook the Connecticut River. If you love architecture, you will love this Connecticut River Valley in New Hampshire.

Dee and Jill in Conneticut River Valley

Naval Shipyard and Lightship Museum

by deecat Updated Jun 5, 2005

Favorite thing: Because my father was in the Navy, I was eager to see the Naval Shipyard Museum and Lightship Museum in Portsmouth. This fascinating place covers over 250 years of Portsmouth's history. It is America's oldest and largest naval shipyard.

At first it was known as the Gosport Shipyard, but its name was changed during the Civil War to the Norfolk Navy Yards and later to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard.

This museum shows the history from Colonial to Civil War times and beyond. There are ship models, military artifacts, uniforms and exhibits. Until I came here, I did not know what a lightship was. They were ships with lights atop their masts similar to those in lighthouses, but since ships move, it made them more versatile!

The Lightship PORTSMOUTH served for 48 years off the coast of Virginia, Delaware, and Massachusetts to help mariners avoid dangerous shoals. They also helped ships enter harbors at night in a safe manner.

The PORTSMOUTH was retired to Portsmouth in 1964, and then designated a Natical Historic Landmark. It's now a museum with the ship's quarters fitted out realistically and filled with photographs, models, and uniforms among other interesting artifacts.

Fondest memory: I really enjoyed the Gift Shop with its lovely gifts such as jewelry, maps, prints, books, and even dolls!

Naval Shipyard
    (757)393-8591
    2 High Street on Portsmouth Waterfront

The Lightship Museum
    (757)393-8741
    Water and London streets on the Portsmouth Waterfront

Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday
    1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday
    Admission is $3.00 and covers both museums.

Naval Shipyard Museum & Lightship Museum
    • Museum Visits

Great Place to Explore Nature

by deecat Updated Jun 5, 2005

Favorite thing: New Hampshire is a wonderful state to explore. If you have children, take a road trip to New Hampshire and stop ever so often just to let the children and yourself see, touch, smell all that nature has to offer.

This photo shows our daughter Jill having the time of her life just being a kid. We all loved the granite rocks, the roadside streams, the large and small waterfalls, the wildlife, and the glorious trees.

There are so few times when our children are young that we can take the time to let them be completely free of modern life, of computers, of television (especially MTV), of programed schedules....going to New Hampshire either in the spring, fall, summer, or even the winter affords you that opportunity to bond with your child and to bond with nature.

As I gathered these photographs to make this site, all those memories came rushing back, and I was so thankful for that time years ago when, as a family of three, we took our time, we stopped on impulse, we were spontaneous.

JIll Enjoying the Splendor of New Hampshire

New Hampshire Inspires a Great Poet

by deecat Updated Jun 5, 2005

Favorite thing: "Nearly half of my poems must actually have been written in New Hampshire...Four of my children were born in Derry, New Hampshire...So you see it has been New Hampshire with me all the way. You will find my poems show it, I think." Robert Frost, 1938

My favorite poet has always been Robert Frost. His insights into life are incredible; his use of language is simple and rugged at the same time; his keen eye for beauty is remarkable. As the winner of four Pulitzer Prizes in Poetry, he is one of America's most beloved men of literature.

Although Frost was born in California, after his father's death, the family moved to the East Coast. Frost was 26 when he came to Derry, New Hampshire, to take up farming as an indentured tenant on a rundown farm. For him it seemed like exile because he was a poet, not a farmer.

After a few years of farming, he quit to teach at Pinkerton Academy where he was recognized as an excellent teacher.
    Derry, New Hamshire, was good for Robert Frost because from it came eleven books of poetry with patterns of color and speech, stories of plain people, and moments of heroism.
    My favorite from that period is: "Death of the Hired Man"

In 1912, Frost sold the farm and left Derry to move his family to England. And England's great gift to Robert Frost was recognition. Here, he published his first book of poems.
    A writer once said, "New England had shown Frost how to listen to other people; old England helped him to recognize his own voice."

From that time, "Mending Wall is my favorite poem with its famous ironic line for all of us to contemplate,
    "Good fences make good neighbors."

Perhaps Frost's most famous poem is:
    "The Road Not Taken"
    from which many VT members use quotes.

Fondest memory: In 1915 Frost returned his family to America, and this time they settled in Franconia, New Hampshire, where he purchased a little farm that backed up to the foot of Sugar Hill. T

his is where Frost wrote the wonderful poem called "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" that certainly describes New Hampshire in the winter months.

Soon, Frost was New England's Poet.
    He taught, wrote, met other poets, learned not to be jealous of the other poet's fame, and gained more and more fame himself.

After his wife Elinor died, Frost returned to Derry, New Hampshire, to put her ashes beside Hyla Brook as she wished.

Frost was approaching his 89th birthday when he died, but he lives on through his famous poems that he sculptured in Derry and Franconia, New Hampshire as New England's Poet.

Fire and Ice
    Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if I had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    to say that for destruction Ice
    is also great
    and would Suffice.

Robert Frost, American Poet

Concord: New Hampshire's Capital

by deecat Updated Jun 5, 2005

Favorite thing: Concord lies along the Merrimack River and more than 40,000 people live there. It's the political, industrial and commercial center of the state.

The best thing about Concord is the gold-domed capitol called the State House. Built in 1816 out of New Hampshire Granite that prisoners made into blocks on land donated by citizens, this location was selected because it was centrally located in the state.
    There is a replica of the Liberty Bell that sits on the capitol grounds. The capitol's dome is made of copper, but workers painted the dome with gold. A copper eagle stands at the top of this dome with the eagle's head turned to the right to represent peace!

This is the nation's oldest state capitol in continual use by a legislative body.

In Concord, people live in close-knit neighborhoods, and there are ten neighborhoods throughout this small city.

Places of interest throughout this city would be:
    New Hampshire Historical Society on North State Street.

Museum of New Hampshire History on North Main Street.
    Bicentennial Square South Main, Warren Street, and Pleasant Street.Capitol Center for the Arts South Main Street.
    Capitol City Shopping Center between Interstate 93 and Storrs Street
    Christa McAuliffe Planetarium is located north of the downtown area.

Fondest memory: I enjoyed the Pierce Manse which is the home of Franklin Pierce, fourteenth president of the United States.

It's a museum containing the president's furnishings and personal memorabilia.We took a tour of the home because we happened to be there when tours were being given.

We also visited Old North Cemetery, and Pierce's grave is there. It's quite interesting with graves dating back to the 1730s.

State House in Concord, New Hampshire

Treasuring the Grande Dame of The White Mountains

by deecat Updated Jun 5, 2005

Favorite thing: Please CLICK on photo to see moon and to take advantage of the panoramic photo

I found it remarkable that New Hampshire's Mt Washington Hotel has kept her beauty after all these years; for over 100 years people have come to this Grande Dame for her elegance and for the opportunity to step back in time.

In 1991, this wonderful hotel was purchased at auction by the MWH Preservation Limited Partnership for 3.12 million dollars. This partnership was spearheaded by Wayne Presby and Joel Bedor; the group is made up of members of four local families who provide employment to many native residents.

Once you have visited this place, you cannot forget the mile long driveway to reach the hotel. The hotel, a 200-room Spanish Renaissance structure, has over 900 feet of verandah where you can view the Presidential Mountain Range.

Once inside, you step back in time at least 100 years. There are huge stone fireplaces and a grand lobby that mark its time period...a place to slow down to enjoy life.

Besides the main hotel, there is the Bretton Arms Country Inn. It is on the hotel grounds and has 34 rooms that are filled with Victorian charm. (The chauffeurs used to stay here while their bosses stayed in the main hotel!). It has a small restaurant on the ground floor which offers meals.

The hotel offers many special event weekends such as Gourmet Dining and Murder Mystery.
    The hotel just recently began being open year round and are now fully geared up for winter activities (downhill skiing, sleigh rides, ice-skating, and snow tubing.5s*

Fondest memory: This winter-time photo of Mount Washington Hotel with the Moon behind it is a Post Card that I purchased there. Thought you would enjoy seeing it.

Mount Washington's Grande Dame

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

MEMORIES....FROZEN IN TIME.....

by Pawtuxet Updated Mar 25, 2005

Favorite thing: We stopped in at the lake house while visiting my son's ski vacation house. Couldn't resist checking in at the little cottage on Lake Winnepesaukee where the kids had so many wonderful times in the sun with old and good friends. Think all those memories were going through Christopher's head as he looked out at the frozen lake for the first time since he was about 16 yrs. old.

Christopher revisits the camp
    • Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

• daffodil's Profile Photo

Drive the Kanamungus Highway

by daffodil Updated Aug 18, 2004

Favorite thing: Drive the Kanamungus Highway. It is has really beautiful vistas of the mountains are spectular. I am sure that when the leaves change colour in the fall it is the most wonderful road in the world. You also may see a moose or two, so be careful on the roads!

Fondest memory: Seeing a female moose and her calf at the side of the road.

Kanamungus vista
    • Photography

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo

Mount Washington

by RACCOON1 Updated May 12, 2004

Favorite thing: Mount Washington is the highest mountain in eastern North America at an elevation of 8288 ft ( 1917 meters). It is located in the White Mountains of New Hampshire .

Weather is usually bad at the top of the mountain . Apparently the peak is cloudless for only 60 days per year. Average winds are 35 mph ( 56 kph) and a record wind was recorded at 231 mph ( 368 kph ) .

There are four ways to get to the top of Mount Washington :
    (1) hike up - 4 hours one way
    (2) cog railway - 3 hour round trip ( $ 49 US)
    Access from Hy 302 near Bretton Woods
    (3) Guided tour in van - 1.5 hour total
    $ 24 US per adult
    Access from Hy 16 on east side of mtn.
    ( 4) Drive your self- 1/2 hour each way
    $18 US per car/ driver , $7 for others
    Access from HY 16 on east side of mtn.

We were travelling through northern New Hampshire in 2002 ( late June) and saw that the top of Mt. Washington was cloudless
    so we elected to drive up ( Option # 4). Winds were only 30 mph ( 48 kph) . If you drive they give you a CD which relates the history , legends and geography of the mountain , and a bumper sticker
    " This Car Climber Mount Washington ".

The drive up is quite an experience with the average grade being a 12% slope . The upper third of the road is above tree level and is quite exposed. The road is just wide enough to allow cars to pass , and no more.

At the top you will notice that the building roofs are tied down with steel cables anchored into the rock . You can also look into Tuckerman's Ravine . This is a very steep ravine in which people ski in the months of May and June. There is no ski lift .

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Covered Bridges

by Agraichen Updated Dec 31, 2003

Favorite thing: New Hampshire is full of many scenic natural wonders. One, however, man-made is somewhat part of "New England" and that is the Covered Bridge.

Many are located in the New England area (I've seen them in Pennsylvania too) and they just seem to bring back a nostalgia view of the world.

This one is near Plymouth, NH, just a short drive from the center of town. It is known as the Smith Bridge and was originally constructed in 1786.

It was rebuilt in 1850 and stood until 1993 when an arsonist casused it's distruction. The "newly" rebulit version can handle the same traffic as a normal Interstate highway bridge.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

getting the whole point....

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 8, 2003

Fondest memory: Our solitude was soon interrupted by a day-tripper from Mount Washington who ran frantically and alone. He explained that he was "doing" all of the peaks this way. He drove his car to the top of Mount Washington and then walked from one President to the next. He would surely "have" them all in no time. He said we could be on top of Mount We tried to be friendly and not laugh at this absurd notion of "climbing" all the peaks in the region in this fashion but it was easy to see our ideas had little to do with his. Soon he was off, fluttering like a butterfly from one flower to the next but not before telling us that Mount Washington's top could be reached in one hour from where we dined. We finished up our food and gingerly made our way down to the Lake of Clouds Hut in no time. From there, it was probably a steep and tough forty-five minutes to the top of the elusive peak. There were just two problems. It was already 3:30 and we had a good two and a half-hour walk back to the car from where we stood. Going up and down would bring us back to the car in total darkness at that time of year. We might have gone up and seen if we could catch the train back to the road or even hitched a ride but we decided against it. We had met one guy from up there and he wasn't our kind. Our guess was there would be lots more where he came from so we made our way back across the Presidentials, unencumbered by civilization and all of its trappings. In this direction, there was no ugly weather station marring our view and I forgot all about proving my point. Mount Washington was behind me now and though I had not "got" it, I had, unlike our butterfly, got the whole point of being there in the first place.

heading back home

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

time for some mashed potatoes.....

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 8, 2003

Fondest memory: The path was a splendid, a lushly green tract of earth. It began innocently enough as it meandered its way though mossy nurse trees before beginning its steep incline over muddy roots that made for a good workout. We found ourselves above tree-line in no time and decided to forgo Mount Pierce altogether as we saw a few people ambling up there already. Instead we made a beeline across more famous members of the Presidential Range with the first president's namesake peak all the while looming in the distance. It was a glorious day and with not a person in sight, we enjoyed the ridge walk unencumbered by civilization aside from the ugly form of the weather station on top of the area's highest point. With Eisenhower and Monroe behind us, we saw the twin peaks of Franklin framing perfectly what would normally be my goal. We made a tour of both sides of Franklin and decided the view over the Lake of Clouds Hut was a perfect place to make up some lunch. I had carried our small stove and some dried food so we enjoyed a nice meal of mashed potatoes and broccoli with cheese as we soaked in a cloudless sky bedecked with peak after peak of New Hampshire's finest. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

D with Washington and twin peaks of Monroe
    • National/State Park

no time to whine....

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 8, 2003

Fondest memory: I tried to be quick but between the watchful predator and my trying to find the perfect angle for my masterpiece, we found ourselves chatting with the ranger about 10:30. He explained with a sigh that it was THE perfect day to climb Mount Washington but that it was a tad too late to start such an endeavor. He detailed two great hikes, one in the valley we were in and another in another valley we had planned on checking out the following day. The Crawford Path that we would be walking on was reputed to be the oldest continuously used trail in the United States and just a marvel of engineering and nature. He explained that it would be a good warm up hike that would bring us up to Mount Pierce and great views in a little over a couple hours. From there, we could see how we felt and continue along the ridge to the Lake of the Clouds Hut that was currently closed for the season. I cursed myself for being so tardy but rather than whine and waste time, we just made our way to the trailhead as quickly as we could. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

the Presidential Range

5 Reviews - 11 Photos
Gilmanton Ironworks Hotels
6 Reviews - 14 Photos

Instant Answers: New Hampshire

Comments

New Hampshire Favorites

Reviews and photos of New Hampshire favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Hampshire sightseeing.
Map of New Hampshire