Portsmouth Local Customs

Best Rated Local Customs in Portsmouth

Evening Theatre in the Park

by cjg1 Updated Jul 9, 2008

During my first visit here we stumbled upon a local production of Oliver in Prescott Park. It has always been one of my favorite shows so I was quite happy to see this. Sadly not many of the pics came out as it was dark and I'm known to have shaky hands with a camera.

During my most recent visit they were presenting Beauty and the Beast. This time we did not stay in town long enough to see any of it. It started at 8pm and we had left by 530.

You should definitely check out what goings on are on while you're here.

• New Hampshire Liquor Laws

by peach93 Updated Jun 17, 2007

New Hampshire State Liquor Store

Buying beer, wine or liquor can be a bit complicated in New Hampshire so it's good to know how it all works before you go. In New Hampshire beer and wine can be purchased at most grocery or convenience stores. Liquor, however, can only be purchased in state-run liquor stores. It is not available anywhere else. Also, beer is not available at these state-run liquor stores, though wine sometimes is. The nearest state-run liquor store to Portsmouth is on Rte. 95, a few miles out of town.

• Study Abroad

A rather fancy prison

by Dabs Written Nov 12, 2007

Portsmouth Naval Prison

On the Isle of Shoals cruise we passed by this beautiful building that reminded me a lot of the grand hotels with the copper roofs that they built in Canada to promote traveling by rail. I was surprised when the narrator said it's former use was as a US Navy Prison and even more surprised that when it was abandoned in the 1970s that they couldn't find an alternate use for it although it sits in a naval shipyard so commercial use is out of the question.

It was built in the early 1900s on Seavey Island, the prison held over 3,000 prisoners during WWII. It was nicknamed the "Alcatraz of the East" since it was set on an island, had the same deterrent of currents and no prisoner ever escaped from it.

It's not open to the public.

Friendly people

by Dabs Written Nov 12, 2007

I come from one of the friendlier large cities in the US but I've never encountered people as friendly as the ones in Portsmouth! They would actually make eye contact with you and say hello as you were walking down the street, the guy writing parking tickets was dressed in a spiffy pair of blue shorts and lemon yellow polo shirt and random strangers would have conversations with you.

At one point it started freaking me out a little, I thought perhaps we had landed in Stepford and that they were going to kidnap me, give me a lobotomy and turn me into a Stepford wife. I breathed a little sigh of relief when we encountered the surly wait staff at Oar House...

Memorial Bridge

by Dabs Updated Nov 12, 2007

Memorial Bridge

We crossed the Memorial Bridge on our way into Maine and went under the bridge while on the Isle of Shoals cruise, it's one of three bridges that cross the Piscataqua River (don't ask me how to pronounce that!), dedicated to the veterans of WWI.

The Memorial Bridge is a lift bridge, the center part of the bridge lifts up to a height of 170 feet to let river traffic pass twice an hour so try not to cross on the hour or half hour or you may be waiting. You can go over on foot, on bicycle or in a car.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Portsmouth seems to be a town in transition...

by Cabana_Boy Updated Jul 9, 2003

There is a great youth subculture, sort of a hippie-druglike thing, combined with an older, laid back drinking and dining crowd...

Therefore, the coffee houses, of which there are many, are filled with the youth subculture while the restaurants and bars are filled with the older crowd. Although there are exceptions which are particularly noticed while the University of New Hampshire is in session and the town has college feel to it.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Many of the New England states...

by acemj Written Aug 25, 2002

Many of the New England states have a reputation for being politically liberal. In the center of Portsmouth we ran into these folks exercising their right to peaceful protest. I didn't pay attention to what they were protesting, but it was interesting to photograph.

• Gaby_Thieme's Profile Photo

Harbour Trail, here as you...

by Gaby_Thieme Written Aug 24, 2002

Harbour Trail, here as you walk you will see styles from early colonial times, Federalist, Victorian, Neo-classical to more contemporary architecture.

Here you can imagine brushing elbows with ship-captains, settlers, patrionts and immigrants from all over the world.

E-Z Pass Accepted on Toll Roads

by cjg1 Written Sep 7, 2009

E-Z Pass is accepted at the toll roads which makes our roadtrips much easier with less of a wait at toll plazas.

Street Performers

by cjg1 Written Jan 5, 2009

As we walked around Portsmouth we stumbled upon a man playing the xylophone. He was making some nice music and getting some well deserved tips.

Instant Answers: Portsmouth

Comments

Portsmouth Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Portsmouth local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Portsmouth sightseeing.