Portsmouth Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Portsmouth

Geno's Chowder & Other FAre: Chowder & SAndwiches

by BruceDunning Updated Apr 4, 2011

Menu Cover

The restaurant was like going back in time over 40 years ago. Geno & Annette started in 1964. She is still there behind the counter and cooking chowder at age 70 (?) , but the daughter took over most activity. They feature lobster rolls and cjhwder. The chowder was mostly a waterty base and flavor medicore. They all come in a paper cup. They have a cup for 4, a bowl (about 6 oz for $6, and large for $8. Lobster rolls were pricey; but heh there is lobster in there, I guess. Small was $8-9, medium of $12 was around 7 oz, and large for 16 oz was $18.
    The whole place inside may hold 20 people and in good weather they have a canopy for another 20-30. it is small and nothing chnaged since starting.

Favorite Dish: I am not sure if there really was a favorite. Many of the locals ordered a toasted cheese sandwich because it was least expensive on menu. There are not many items that go over $7-8 in costs. Most purchasers were not wanting to spend the amounts for the specialties, in my opinion.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Fat Belly's Bar and Grill: Try It for Lunch

by Rixie Updated Apr 4, 2011

How can you resist a restaurant called Fat Belly's?

I had a satisfying lunch here with two of my family members. We sat at a high table in the middle of the room. It was busy but not overly noisy.

Favorite Dish: I had a bowl of New England clam chowder, and they had burgers, and we shared orders of sweet potato fries and onion rings. Although not as good as those in New Orleans, the fries were still quite tasty.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

POPOVERS ON THE SQUARE: GREAT LITTLE BRUNCH SPOT

by LoriPori Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hans & Roast Beef Sancwich

Hans and I ate here twice. We had lunch at POPOVERS ON THE SQUARE. We both had the roast beef sandwich which was absolutely divine. The large bun was stacked with roast beef and came with a side of au jus and a little bag of chips - all for $7.95.
    We also went for the VT Sunday morning brunch. We all sat outside on the patio tables and enjoyed the afternoon sun.
    It's a great little spot and seems very popular with the locals.

• Portsmouth Gas Light Co.: Great Fish

by FindingTime Updated Apr 4, 2011

We enjoyed a warm summer night under the gas torch light, followed by a great funk band for entertainment. The service was good and the Yello Fin tuna was some of the best I have served. My Wife enjoyed the grilled salmon over rice. The only feature to dampen the night was we were asked not to dance to the funk music. NOT THAT WE WERE BAD. It is just the house rules. The crowd proceeded to enjoy the music the best they could grooving in thier chairs. It was a shame the band was great. Sorry I didn't get thier name.

• Architecture

The Portsmouth Brewery: Busy Place with Big Portions

by cjg1 Updated Apr 26, 2010

Pulled Pork Sandwich & Fries

The Portsmouth Brewing Company is a bar and restaurant right in the heart of Portsmouth. The place is always hopping with people and there is usually a wait for one of their many tables. The restaurant is rather large with a bar area, bar tables, numerous booths and tables and well as outdoor dining in their small interior courtyard in the summer. The menu here has the typical bar food as well as more substantial entrees and desserts. The Brewing company carries many beers including some of their own brews from their Smuttynose Brewing Company.

The food here is good and the wait usually isn't terrible for a table (10-15 minutes).

Favorite Dish: Our last visit here I got the pulled pork sandwich. It was okay but a bit on the greasy side. The fries that came with the sandwich were good as always. Next time I'll stick to my usual burger or chicken sandwich. Liz usually gets the mussels or the cheeseburger. The burgers here are very good and juicy with a nice peppery seasoning to them. The hamburger bun is very fresh and soft. The portions here are rather large and you always leave food on your plate.

Annabelle's Natural Ice Cream: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Monster

by cjg1 Updated Apr 26, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Monster on a Cone

Annabelle's is a popular ice cream shop here in Portsmouth for over thirty years. Liz and I usually go to Izzy's when in Portsmouth but decided to try Annabelle's on our most recent trip.

The shop is quite small with a few tables and a counter. The available flavors and specials are posted above the counter and side wall. They make cones, cups, sundaes, shakes and pints. After perusing the long list of ice cream flavors I decided I would have the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Monster on a waffle cone. Liz wanted the Dutch Chocolate on a sugar cone.

The ice cream itself was very cream but there were few pieces of cookie dough throughout. Liz thought the ice cream at Izzy's was creamier and had a more intense chocolate taste. I was glad we finaly tried Annabelle's but in the future we'll go back to Izzy's.

Izzy's: Our Place to Grab a Cone

by cjg1 Updated Sep 8, 2009

Liz enjoying her chocolate cone

Izzy's is a small ice cream/coffee shop on the corner of Bow Street. They have a decent selection of both hard pack and soft serve ice cream, sundaes, milkshakes and coffee drinks. The ice cream here is very good and the waffle cones are very fresh and crunchy. Liz and I often make Izzy's a stop when we are visiting Portsmouth.

Favorite Dish: I have only had the chocolate ice cream here and it is very good and creamy.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

The Oar House: My First VT Meeting

by moiraistyx Written Apr 9, 2009

Hansi and Emily

From the outside this restaurant appears to be a little hole in the wall, but alas looks can be deceiving. When you walk it the restaurant opens up and is quite spacey. We were all seated upstairs. It was a bit disappointing because there didn't have enough chairs and table prepared for us in spite of the fact that Emily went to great lengths to work with this restaurant to arrange a special menu and make reservations for our large group. Well long story short, we ended up having to seat the children at their own table away from all of us, just because there weren't enough seats. This made my dinner crazy. All in all the food was really tasty. I don't remember exactly what was on the menu, but I had a salad which was really big and some clam chowder. I haven't a clue what anyone else order, I know it none of it was picky kid friendly.

Thanks again Emily for a great meeting.

Favorite Dish: Mixed field green salad which was mesclun greens topped with dried cranberries, red onions, crumbled blue cheese and tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

The Portsmouth Brewery: GREAT BEER AND FOOD

by moiraistyx Written Apr 9, 2009

my scallops

When Patrick, Nolan, Tony and I first arrived in Portsmouth we walked around for a bit scoping out some of the restaurants. All Patrick cared about was being able to have chicken nuggets and I wanted a yummy snack. Tony was a beer lover to say the least and wanted to try a new beer. We just happened to walk right in front of the Portsmouth Brewery as Tony stated he wanted a beer. We walked in and were greeted by the usual brewery atmosphere. It was a bit loud, but not bad for a Saturday afternoon crowd. I can only imagine how loud this place is on a Friday or Saturday night. Nolan and Patrick got their usual chicken strips and I got an order of scallops in a maple syrup sauce. I checked the website for an up to date menu, they no longer offer the scallops. Tony tried the Barleywine beer which was rather good. Tony also got an order of the crab rangoon dip. It was alright, but nothing great to write home about.

Favorite Dish: The barleywinde beer is deep amber in color with the flavors figs and dates. It had a bull body and an intense after taste. It was really good, but a bit strong for an ale.

TJ's: Just Good-Simple VAlue Food/Drink

by BruceDunning Written Oct 23, 2008

Entrance on side of State

They have a more or less local crowd that frequent the place. The food was reasonable and the drinks were one of the better values in town; I only tried two places. They also have a little game room in back

Favorite Dish: Burgers are a good choice, but the tacos chips are also a good sized plates

• Architecture

Seaview Lobster Co.: Go to the Source for Cheap/good lobster

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 20, 2008

CArd of the location and people

Lobster pound. This is the way to go to keep costs down and get better flavor lobster. It comes right from the boats, and does not set in a refrigerator at a restaurant before devouring. I found that the best one is the SEaview Lobster, because the price was better, and the location easier to find, and the owner friendly and been in the business for 50 years. They used to trap lobster, and now ship around the world (Japan, Europe, etc) a crate at a time.
    Price is only $5 a pound. Two pounds gets you about one pound of meat, after the torso throwaway. By the way the lobster was fabulous and the only way to go. It had been 30 years since I did this, and enjoyed as much now; in the motel and dipped in clarified butter.

Favorite Dish: Duh-I got the tails only and it was precooked that day. WONDERFUL with butter dip.

Warren's Lobster House: Food for the Masses

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 20, 2008

Street View of Entrance

The restaurant got a reputation some years ago and has not changed since. The facility feels stale, and the food is medicore at best. They have a very large crowd that shows up every night and no reservations are taken. So the best time to show up is before 5:30PM. Waits after that are about 45 minutes to 1+ hours. It is not worth the wait, believe me.
    I think most people come for a lite meal, due to price and the quality is not worth spending a lot of lobster. Salad bar was good.

Favorite Dish: I tried the lobster tails with lobster and stuffing. The lobster may have amounted to about 10 ounces and the stuffing was tasteless, as well as the lobster was rubbery; probably due to precooking or overcooking. For the price of $40, it was a waste of money. The salad bar is the way to go, and just order that. It seemed most people came here and got a $10-14 fish plate and then Loaded up on the salad bar.

British Pub: British Fare

by BruceDunning Written Oct 15, 2008

Phone booth as symbol of England

The restaurant/pub is above an office building and take the stairs two flights. Up there they have a bar, an area for pool and darts. The seating is for food, presumeabley.

Favorite Dish: I did not eat here, but the food of people at the place seemed to have a lot to eat and the quality was acceptable. Nothing great, but basic bar food. They have from appetizers for $5-8 to full meals up to $20. The average is around $15 plus drinks.

Gilley's Diner: Old Time Diner

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 15, 2008

Front view of the

The food was okay, but the reason for showing up is the fact that this place has been in business since 1912. It is in a lot surrounded by buildings. Apparently no one was ever to get them to move, and unable to force the matter. The trailer with extension looks like it may still be from 1912. Prices are a great deal. The hotdog was $2.85. The burgers were $3-4 and fries $1 and pop $1.

Favorite Dish: I had a hotdog and kraut. It was good and what you would expect from a diner that is fast service. The burgers looked liked they were good and fried on a griddle. The fires came from the back room and appeared crisp and decent serving. Overall the bean and two dogs are the tradition per the customers. Every mix of people come here to eat, for price and ambiance.

Rosa Restaurante: Rosa is Italiano

by BruceDunning Written Oct 15, 2008

Front on State STreet at end by the bridge

The quality of food was good and plentiful. Staff was attentive to the needs of the customer. They have a variety of foods to choose from, with Italian being the main stay. The owner is hands on type and friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had braciola and it was very good. The flank steak meat was a bit chewy, but that is flank. The stuffing of pesto with green olive and oil base. They also have a reasonably priced pizza for around $9. The range of prices are $8-20, all give a fair amount of food for the value and good quality. The owner has been there for 14 years and takes pride in good service and quality.

Instant Answers: Portsmouth

Comments

Portsmouth Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Portsmouth restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Portsmouth sightseeing.