Atlantic City Warnings and Dangers

My sister and I with pigeons c 1950

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Atlantic City

• luggage stolen trumpmarina

by pattywhy Written Nov 11, 2008

On my visit to trumpmarina for 2 days my husband and i noticed some unsavory characters on the casino floor. we commented to each other how it seened more seedy thn our past visits. well on the day we were leaving my husband took our luggage down to the self parking garage to discover he had left the keys behind in the room. the suicase was large and had a wheel come off. my husband put the juggage behind the car and came back quicly to tje room to get the car keys. we rushed back to the car and our suitcase was gone. the security was not as alarmed as we were. they called the atlanticcity police and though feeling bad for us. I knew we were going home without our things. casn, expensive aniversary flutes,clothes and my wallet with all my credit cards. all gone. I guess we were to trusting of the trumpmarina. they didint call us to see if we were ok. we kept callingt the casino but nothing was done. wasnt there a cameeeeeeeera in the self parking garage. If there was no answers for our loss. dont trust the place the trumpmarina . I really mad me mad. I hope you will heed the warning .

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Underage Drinking/Gambling

by Lhenne1 Written Apr 28, 2008

New Jersey (and Atlantic City in particular) is very strict about checking IDs. So if you're under 21, don't try to sneak in to any bars, you could lose your license and get fined. Be careful about staying off the casino floors, too. They serve alcohol to anyone gambling so you need to be 21 to even walk through. There are paths around the sides of most so you can get from one end to the other.

Even young kids (obviously too young to be interested in alcohol) are not allowed to sit near their parents on the casino floor. If you want to gamble AND bring the kids, it may be a good idea to hire a babysitter. The kids can spend time on the Boardwalk where there are rides and amusement park games or play on the beach.

• behind the casino

by john09 Written Feb 11, 2008

you casn walk behind the casinos bur keep your guard up and dress the part, wear and old coat and a baseball cap over your face and keep away from crowds. behind the casinos are lots of bumbs and alike, for a good time go to the massage palors located behind the casinos. You will be greeted by a mamason and taken to a room to get ready for a table shower. Table showers by a young asiuan girla re exciting then go from there.

• Beer Tasting

• Atlantic City. Be careful!

by IrishTraveler Written Jun 13, 2007

I lived in the Atlantic City area and worked at the former Bally's Grand Hotel and Casino, now the Hilton for 3 years.
    I loved my job, and I really didn't run into too many real problems, but that's because I knew the trouble areas and to stay away from them.
    At night, if you're not from A.C., you don't want to leave the casino area unless you know where you're going and you're in a car. Stay on the Boardwalk if you're going outside, and only go out during the earlier evening hours, when there's still people out.
    Don't talk to the homeless people, and don't give them money. The panhandlers on the Boardwalk have enough, they don't need yours, and they might rob you if you get out your wallet.
    Don't go out the front doors of the casinos onto Pacific Avenue.

And while you're on the Boardwalk, location really does matter. The end where the Showboat and Resorts are is also the end that's nearest the housing projects. The end where the Hilton is is very near Ventnor, which is where the wealthy people live. The Hilton end is the safer end.
    If you do go driving through town, say to go over to Trump Castle or the outlet malls, keep your doors locked. (Is the Castle still there? It's been a while.)
    Anyway, to get there, you'll have to drive through some ghettos. If you are at a stop light and you see people walking toward your car, floor it. If people wander out in front of your car, don't stop. They'll get out of your way.

All this said, did I have any real trouble while I lived there? No. We lived on California Avenue for a while before moving to Brigantine, and our neighbors weren't rich. They were also a mix of whites, blacks and Puerto Ricans (we're white) and we all worked at the casinos.

Oh, yeah, don't ask the hotel workers where the good local spots are. AC residents don't like tourists that much and sometimes the workers will tell the tourists really nasty spots just to keep them away from the good places. When you have to work with tourists all day you tend to not want them around you at night.

• Lots Of Hookers; But Not As Bad As Made Out

by answp_roanoke Written May 2, 2007

I've been to Atlantic City many times. The place is a run down slum, and even the casinos don't really compare to Vegas. Having walked through the streets many times at 3 or 4 AM, I can say this: First, you get approached by a hooker every block. The hookers are ugly and foul and not worth the time to patronize. Also, there are mostly male Negroes who stand on the street corners all night long wearing bright pink. They are also hookers, and should be avoided. I have never been threated or robbed, though I could see it happening. I've seen many people flip out and behave badly in casinos in a way I have not seen happen in Vegas. As the early morning comes on, there are a lot of passed out drunks on the streets, and often hanging in the hallways of the casinos and from the statues outside. All that said, Atlantic City does not feel dangerous -- of course, I work (but don't live) in a run down slum and am used to extreme poverty. There is a large police presence near the hotels. Atlantic City is for degenerate gambling. If you want to have fun, go to Vegas.

• Boardwalk between Bally's and Resorts

by krazeyraze Updated Mar 13, 2007

Beware the streets and boardwalk after dark. Even in front of the casinos the streets can be dangerously full of dealers, hookers, pimps, beggars, thieves and others. A hooded man with two companions forcefully warned us to not pass the closed down Sands casino on our way to Resorts and Showboat. A confrontation was inevitable and I took his word over possibly being mugged and relieved of my wallet and even life. Being aware of your surroundings is not enough here. Trouble can come quickly and from hidden areas. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. This is nothing like almost any other city. Travel only by cab( the Jitney is pure misery) or just stay in the casinos past dark. Many of the casinos are connected by walkways, and these are safe. The whole city is a disgrace and ranges between extreme third world like poverty and extreme wealth.

• Museum Visits

• warning

by justmovedac Updated Mar 11, 2007

stay in casino take the taxi this town is a dump needs a bath i just moved to area and cant wait to leave the whole ac is a dumb ho and pimps and pervs everwhere the cops are useless and ill go to south central la then come to this dump

• Don't Believe everything you read!

by Janthony78 Written Feb 19, 2007

For the most part I agree with most of you. You should defiantly not stray from the Boardwalk, but don't do not let that scare you into not having a good time. I have been to Atlantic city in the past and luckily have never had a problem. I tend to float of the boardwalk though. Why limit myself to just what's on the boardwalk?? As long as you keep to your self and know your surrounding you should be safe. Another good tip someone posted earlier was "Don't travel alone' There's safety in numbers, but with that said isn't that the same wherever you go?? Well I appreciate all the tips all of you post on here and I'll put them to good use next Sunday.

Eye Contact

by April1985 Written Feb 13, 2007

Dont make eye contact with anyone you dont want to talk to. I think this rule goes for anywhere you travel. Atlantic City men are very bold, and they will talk to anyone. Be careful because you may just look at someone you may not want to converse with. Keep to yourself and the group you came with and you'll be fine.

Travel in Groups

by April1985 Written Feb 13, 2007

Atlantic City is a fun and exciting place, but, dont go there alone untless your meeting somewhere there. Always have a group to go with. 2 is better than 1 ! The more people you have, the safer you will be, and you will have a much better time because no one will both you !

Parking Garage Caution !

by April1985 Written Feb 13, 2007

When parking in a casino parking garage, find a parking spot near the elevator. Even if you wind up on the top level, do not settle for a spot that is more than a 5 second walk to the elevator. I am not joking. There are people who croutch behind cars and just wait for unsuspecting victims to attack in the parking garages, and steal everything they have, including their car. Always watch your surroundings, and dont park too far away!

Small Bag or No Bag !

by April1985 Written Feb 13, 2007

When you go into the casino's, only bring what you need to bring. Some cash, your ID, and car keys. Do not bring a huge bag, or even a medium sized bag. People will spot you out and you will become a target. Carry a wristlette, or something that can fit into your pockets, or all jokes aside, slide it into your boobage. You dont want to have to worry about pick pockets, or theives. In the casino you'll be fine, but while walking to and from the casino, and in the parking garage, beware!

Stay on the Boards !

by April1985 Written Feb 13, 2007

I am from Atlantic City, so I know that there are certain places you do not want to be. If you stay on the boardwalk, you will run into the usual seagulls, bums, and tourists. There are cops that patrol the boards, but if you go off the boardwalk, beware. You may just be in a very bad neighborhood, and you could be followed by the homless, or worse, theives. Being mugged is not fun, and I Know people who it has happened to. Dont be a victim. Walk in lighted areas on the boardwalk, and if you feel uncomfortable, turn around.

Stay off the Sand Dunes

by April1985 Written Feb 13, 2007

Sure we all are tempted to run up on a dune and play king of the mountain ! However, these dunes, are there for a special reason. They are there to keep Atlantic City safe. Please stay off the dunes, so outs city stays safe, at least from the weather that is.

• Danger after dark

by tyjdt Written Feb 7, 2007

Me a buddy were down the street on a monday night. After leaving the boardwalk we headed back to the super 8. The streets were crawling with hookers and drug dealers. Very scary stuff. Be aware, I am a 250 pound philadelphia police officer.

BE CAREFULL

Instant Answers: Atlantic City

Comments

Atlantic City Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Atlantic City warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Atlantic City sightseeing.

View all Atlantic City hotels