St. Mary’s churchyard is the resting place of many prominent citizens of Historic Burlington."The earliest known headstones date from 1706 and 1707, respectively marking the graves of Mary and Edman Steward. Also buried within Bowes Reed, a Revolutionary leader and mayor of Burlington; Joseph Bloomfield, a Revolutionary War officer, mayor and...more
Along the Riverbank, west of Wood Street, this marker indicates the site where the ship Shield, bringing new Settlers to Burlington was enveloped in ice. On December 10, 1678, the ship “Shield”, came to Burlington and tied up to a large buttonwood tree here. History states the river froze overnight, forcing the passengers to walk ashore...more
Located at 46 Riverbank, along the Delware, Henry Grubb is said to have built tunnels from the riverbank under their home for the concealment of runaway slaves.Grubb not only operated the first tavern in Burlington, but also had business interests in mining and manufacturing. There are two Victorian Style homes on the estate grounds, and...more
General Ulysses S. Grant brought his family here to escape harm during the Civil War."The GENERAL GRANT HOUSE (private), 309 Wood St., is a graceful, two-story shuttered home of yellow stucco with green trim. French windows are upstairs and down, and a delicate wrought-iron rail around the roof of the porch is overhung with wisteria. There is a...more
Don't laugh. I'm not suggesting that you go to a pharmacy because you need healing...this is an historic pharmacy. It is the oldest pharmacy in continuous operation in New Jersey.This historic pharmacy was built on the corner of High and East Union Streets in Burlington in 1731. The date is proudly incoporated into the side of the building...more
Located on West Broad Street, adjacent to the Kinsey House, this tiny building has a large history."The WEST NEW JERSEY PROPRIETORS OFFICE (not open to public), Broad St. between High and Wood Sts., is a tiny, one-room, red brick building with white trim and a peaked roof. A yard and carriage shed enclosed by a red brick wall adjoin the office. In...more
Built in 1792, the Friends School (Quaker School) sits on the corner of York and Penn Streets in historic Burlington, New Jersey.The Quaker School is a one-room schoolhouse, typical f its era, where the students were taught. Strict discipline was used in the teaching methods, but the Quakers stressed that education is what prepared young...more
Located at 213 Wood Street in Burlington, the Revell House is the oldest building in Burlington County."The THOMAS REVEL HOUSE (private), 8 E. Pearl St., is probably the oldest complete dwelling in Burlington. Erected 1685 by George Hutchinson, it was the office of Thomas Revel, registrar of the Proprietors of West New Jersey and clerkof the...more
Still operating on a 1757 charter, the Library at 23 West Union Street in historic Burlington, The Library Company of Burlington is the oldest library in continuous operation in New Jersey."The LIBRARY (open 3-6, 7-9 Tues, Thurs., and Sat.), Union St. between N. High and Wood Sts., one of the oldest in the country, is still operating under a 1757...more
The New St. Mary's Episcopal Church, completed in 1854, stands across the churchyard from the Old St. Mary's founded in 1703."The newer ST. MARY's CHURCH, adjoining, was completed in 1854 from the plans of Richard Upjohn, architect of Trinity Church in New York City. It is a fine, ivy-draped Gothic structure with a towering spire." --- New Jersey:...more
Located on the northwest corner of Broad and Wood streets in historic Burlington, Old St. Mary's Church was founded in 1702, making it the oldest Episcopal Church in New Jersey."OLD ST. MARY'S CHURCH (not open to public), NW. corner W. Broad and Wood Sts., built in 1703, is the oldest Episcopal Church building of the State. The congregation,...more
This where Quakers have been meeting for 300 years!"FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (open on meeting days), N. High St. between Broad and Union Sts., was erected in 1784 adjacent to the site of the hexagonal structure built by the first settlers in 1683. Quiet and severe, it stands behind a great wall with heavy iron gates deep in the shadow of great trees,...more
This was the birthplace of Captain James Lawrence, naval war hero of the War of 1812. "I. The JAMES LAWRENCE HOUSE (private), 459 High St., gray stucco with white shutter, was the birthplace in 1781 of Capt. James Lawrence. At 16 Lawrence entered the navy as a midshipman on the U.S.S. Ganges. In the War of 1812 he distinguished himself as captain...more
The Cooper House was the birthplace of James Fenimore Cooper."The JAMES FENIMORE COOPER HOUSE (open 3-6 Sun. and first Sat. of each month), 457 S. High St., has stucco walls lined to resemble stones, and shares the characteristics of many other early Burlington homes. Noteworthy are the fine detail of the wood trim and the graceful proportion of...more
Turn off Route 130 in Burlington onto High Street, and you've just entered the historic district. The High Street District is simply an historic district within an historic district, focusing on the buildings lining High Street. Many of which will be your historical stops on the tour of this towne.High Street leads straight to the waterfront...more
2024 Route 541, Burlington, NJ 08016
Good for: Couples
1824 Route 130 North, Burlington, New Jersey, 08016, United States
214 High Street, Burlington, New Jersey, 08016, United States
Good for: Couples
This mall is a decent mall, just off Mt. Holly Road (Route 541) in Burlington. It has a Sears, JCPenney, and Strawbridge & Clothier in it. It also has a small food court and several other clothing, jewelry, shoe, video game, and other stores in it.
What to pay: Typical prices you find in any mall.
An amazing experience!
This semi-annual event (one weekend on May and other in October)features many American Indian artists and entertainers from throughout the Americas (North to South). Varied performances, live music, dance exhibitions. You may sample variety of native food and buy beautiful pieces of jewelry and other crafts. Demonstrations, Wisdom Keepers...