The Blue Pig Tavern, Cape May

Bob's shrimp cocktail $14.00

• starship's Profile Photo

The Blue Pig Tavern: Located in Congress Hall Hotel

by starship Updated Dec 17, 2014

Located in the beautiful Congress Hall Hotel, the Blue Pig Tavern offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner for your dining pleasure! The restaurant was named after a gambling establishment which was once part of the hotel in the 1800's. Today the Blue Pig caters to a different crowd with 2 separate dining areas, each with its own decor, and also a beautiful outside dining terrace.

Breakfast choices are not boring: malted, Belgian waffles, french country omelets, blueberry french toast, smoked salmon, and fruit platters for vegetarians, along with a few every day, feel-good choices such as flapjacks, and steak & eggs, etc. Prices run from $8 to $15.

Lunch choices consist of soups & chowders, interesting sandwiches, and salads along with some very nice looking main courses such as Cajun-spiced shrimp skewers, grilled portobello mushroom lasagna, and grilled ribeye steaks and Ahi Tuna. Expect to pay $7 to $9 for sandwiches; burgers are $8 to $11; main dishes $8 to $15.

Dinner ~ you should probably bring a full wallet, but there is a "Blue Plate Special" every night that will cost you from $16 to $30 for the Cape May Lobster Baker including clams. For the regular menu, try the Steak & crab cake - $26. Atlantic Grouper - $19. Bourbon marinated pork tenderloin - $18. Thai BBQ glazed salmon - $19. I think these prices are becoming quite common at some of the better restaurants, but this is definitely not a budget establishment.

Favorite Dish: I think dining out on the terrace on a warm summer evening would be very charming, but dining inside is a treat in itself. This restaurant would definitely be a splurge for us, but everyone needs to splurge sometimes.

The Blue Pig even has its own microbrew beer named what else----The Blue Pig Tavern Ale!! Sounds good to me!

• Beer Tasting

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Blue Pig Tavern: NOT Brunswick Stew

by grandmaR Updated Oct 23, 2014

We got to the hotel about 10 minutes before the Early Bird Specials ended, but I think they gave us the discount anyway. This was good because the food was expensive (for us)

The girl that showed us to our table said she would take the scooter and park it. I am used to that with male waiters on the cruise ships - they like playing with toys. But she tried to do it without sitting on it and she squeezed the forward lever and it leapt forward into a table and of course since it was getting away from her, she squeezed harder. It's easier if you sit on it.

They do have breakfast, but when I showed the menu to Bob he didn't have his glasses on so he didn't see the prices. I knew the prices were high so we went elsewhere for breakfast.

Breakfast: Monday- Friday, 7:30am-12pm
    Saturday and Sunday 7:30am-3:00pm

Lunch: Monday-Thursday, 11:00am-2:00pm
    Friday-Sunday 11:00am-3:00pm

Dinner: Sunday- Thursday, 5:00pm- 9:00pm
    Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm

Favorite Dish: They have a special Sunday through Thursday of a soup, entree and chef's choice of dessert for $26.99. Monday was grilled Knockwurst, Tuesday was Grilled Rainbow Trout and Thursday was Chicken Fried Chicken. Wednesday was Brunswick stew which was billed as beef brisket braised with tomatoes, beans, corn etc, so since I like Brunswick Stew, I had that. The soup was chicken pot pie soup and the dessert was pecan pie ala mode. The soup was OK and did taste like chicken pot pie but what I like about chicken pot pie is the crust and it didn't have that. I wasn't happy with the Brunswick stew - it was basically beef stew with gravy. Brunswick stew traditionally would be made with rabbit or possum. But in NC they substitute pork or maybe chicken. It has corn, limas, tomatoes, and potatoes, but no gravy. It is a kind of soupy stew. I didn't see any corn or beans or tomatoes in it. I did see carrots an potatoes. I didn't have the dessert because I don't care for pecan pie. I got enough to eat without it.

Bob had a shrimp cocktail ($14,00) and New England clam chowder ($7.00) and didn't have an entree. That was enough for him.

With the 20% discount, we paid $43.00 plus tip. The original bill with tax and without tip was $54.56

Beef stew being passed off as Brunswick stew Blue Pig painting Dining room Bob's shrimp cocktail $14.00 Chicken Pot Pie Soup
    • Architecture
    • Beaches

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Blue Pig Tavern: Best food in town!

by toonsarah Written Nov 30, 2008

This was easily our favourite of the restaurants we visited in Cape May and we ended up coming here three times, once for breakfast and twice for dinner. We liked the comfortable large dining room, with its well-spaced tables, large fireplace (with a welcoming fire on our last evening in town) and friendly service. We loved the large bar with dark leather sofas and great martinis. And most of all, we loved the delicious food!

The restaurant is part of the large Congress Hall Hotel which dominates a whole block on Perry Street between the sea and Congress Place. The name of the restaurant comes from a gambling parlour in Congress Hall in the mid-1800s, and earlier still, in the 1700s, a tavern for whalers stood on this site, the first tavern in Cape May.

On both our evening visits we also visited the Brown Room Bar, where I had a couple of excellent cocktails (they make a great classic Martini) and Chris sampled the Blue Pig Ale and found it a pleasant-tasting lager-style that slipped down very easily!

Favorite Dish: Everything we ate here was delicious. On our first visit, for breakfast, I had some good pancakes and a lovely strong espresso, while Chris enjoyed his Sunrise Sandwich of scrambled eggs and bacon in a croissant.

Our second visit was for dinner and impressed us as the best we had eaten in Cape May up to that point, and in fact it proved to be the best of our whole week there. We both started with soup – Chris chose mushroom (the soup of the day) while I had the Cape May clam chowder. For my main course I chose the excellent Crab Stuffed Sea Scallops with roasted red pepper mashed potatoes. These come with asparagus, which I’m not fond of, and the waitress proposed an alternative of green beans which were much more to my liking. Chris meanwhile had a mango-glazed chicken breast served with wild rice and mushrooms (he appears to have been on a bit of a mushroom thing that evening!). Portions were sensible enough for us both to fit in a dessert – for me the tangy Key Lime and Lemon pie and for Chris a deliciously gooey chocolate soufflé. It has to be said that this isn’t the cheapest pace to eat, as with a bottle of Chianti our bill came to $101 including tax, but we both agreed it was worth it (and if you’re used to London prices as we are that isn’t too bad really).

Having enjoyed that meal so much we came back on our last evening in Cape May and had one almost as good. This time we shared a starter of Crab, Caramelized Onion and Fontina Cheese Tart (very nicely cooked though it could have been cheesier for my taste). Chris then had the Grilled Portobello Mushroom Lasagne (more mushrooms!) and I went for the Hawaiian Mahi-mahi served with a pineapple chutney and coconut rice with shrimp – very tasty! On this occasion though we skipped the dessert as the starter, even shared, had been quite filling.

Blue Pig Tavern dining room Blue Pig Tavern: Key lime and lemon pie Chocolate souffle Blue Pig Tavern: in the bar

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

The Blue Pig Tavern: Low Key Bistro

by gilescorey Written Feb 29, 2008

I may have said this before, but my sister had warned me there were few good eats in Cape May, and she was right. That said, she directed me straight to the Blue Pig Tavern, a short, rainy walk from our stay, and a charming corner of Congress Hall. Relief!

Cheery pastel walls, colonial fixtures, hardwood floors and, of Nice little lunch spot, and unlike many other restaurants in town, has a bit of low-key class.

Favorite Dish: I'm sure I had crabcakes. That's all I ate while in Cape May. Can you blame me? Have you ever ordered crabcakes in Los Angeles? That's all I'm saying.

I remember enjoying my meal, but finding the plating and the side dish bizarre. Still, good spot!

Congress Hall bistro

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The Blue Pig Tavern: Dine At A Historic Hotel

by VeronicaG Updated Jan 2, 2007

The Blue Pig Tavern is tucked into a cozy corner off the lobby of Congress Hall, a historic hotel in Cape May. We've eaten here for dinner, but our latest visit was for breakfast. You'll find such choices as Buttermilk Flapjacks ($8); French Country Omelet ($8.50); Malted Belgian Waffle with Raspberry Syrup ($8) and many other scrumptious meals.

A child's menu offers Scrambled Eggs and Bacon; A Golden Pancake With Maple Syrup or Fruit Cup with Fresh Cut Melon and Pineapple Cubes for $6 which includes a choice of juice.

We chose to have breakfast on the outdoor terrace, which was perfect for people watching! The morning was mild and sunny with a gentle breeze--so nice for eating outdoors. The hotel is almost directly across from the Washington Mall, a pedestrian shopping area, making it an excellent access for visitors!

Blue Pig Tavern