The Lobster House, Cape May

by evilprebil
    by SURFIN7TH
    by SURFIN7TH
  • starship's Profile Photo

The Lobster House, A Cape May Tradition: Great Seafood in an Interesting Setting!

by starship Updated Jan 28, 2014

The Lobster House, located on Fisherman's Wharf in Cape May, is a favorite of my family's. It's very popular and has a loyal following.

The Lobster House dine-in restaurant is only one part of establishments on this long, covered dock. This restaurant is rather cozy with wood-paneling, comfortable seating, and of course, good seafood on offer. There is also quite a nice long, wooden bar for cocktails.

The Lobster House also has a separate shop where you can buy fresh seafood to cook for yourself. Also, you can order take-out meals from quite a long menu here. Most if not all those who order from the take out menu here then take their order to eat out on the dock at the tables made of large cable spools, and topped with colorful umbrellas. My family loves to order from the seafood take-out window and enjoy it at the tables on the dock and my husband can order a beer for himself from the Raw Bar. For anyone who likes to hang out around the waterfront, it's a great experience and you can enjoy watching the parade of fishing boats on the water. Sometimes it's a little difficult to find a table because it's such a popular place.

An additional venue is the sloop which is tied up at the dock also and where you can also have meals and cocktails.
    (I have lots of good pictures of this place if I could only find them!)

Favorite Dish: My family loves to order one of the "combo" platters from the take-out window which comes in a styrofoam container. The food is hot and many combos have include one or more of the following: flounder, shrimp, fried clams or bay scallops with "freedom fries" or hush puppies. It's really tasty and costs less than $20 for the food, a drink and the view!! (If you don't like your food to come in a styrofoam container, the lovely main restaurant is the place for you but be prepared for a more expensive bill!)

Oysters and clams on the half shell can be ordered from the separate "raw bar" which is also the place to get glasses or pitchers of beer.

Picture from restaurant's website

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

The Lobster House: Everybody tries it once....

by evilprebil Written Jul 3, 2006

I admit that dinner here was good, but nothing too spectacular. This place actually burned down just last year (late 2005) and they are rebuilding. You definately need a reservation, even though the place is huge because people come from neighboring beach communities. The wine list is a bit expensive for what they offer. The hype of the restaurant doesn't add up to the costs, but its something everyone should do once if they are visiting the southern New Jersey Beaches.

Favorite Dish: I can't say any dish is out of the ordinary...but all the seafood is good. Go here and order your favorite, you probably won't be disappointed. They do have a market on premise also...but as I live three hours away, i've never transported fish from there.

• Lobster House: You're better off eating elsewhere....

by socr0819 Written Jul 13, 2006

My wife and I were visiting Cape May (family reunion), and heard so many raving reviews about the Lobster House, we had to try it for ourselves.

We waited somewhere around one and a half hours, and were never paged to sit down (we were sitting outside -- enjoying the weather). After a few times of my wife and I walking in to see if our table was ready, we were told to give them about 30 more minutes and our table would be ready. Meanwhile, another couple came in and they were given a 10 minute wait time ...and even seated before us! After we were both enraged, we approached again, the guy apologized saying that everyone can simply "walk in and get a table now".

So we walk in, we were told to walk to the back (which we did), a gentlemen greeted us, dashed to our table, threw our menus down and took off. My wife and I looked at the menu, completely unimpressed (not the food itself -- but the service we recieved in comparison to what we were about to pay for dinner). We got up, and walked out of the restaraunt.

We'll never go to this restaraunt again!

• amirguy's Profile Photo

The Lobster House: Great Raw Seafood!!!

by amirguy Updated Jul 24, 2003

Great raw seafood in Cape May Fisherman's Wharf. Go at night grab a table on the wharf and gorge on fresh lobster and oysters while looking at the fishermen's boat go in and out of the harbor.

Favorite Dish: Lobster dinner (with some shrimps, potatos and a few mules thrown in there) all steamed served fresh with a side of butter and corn!

• asturnut's Profile Photo

The Lobster House

by asturnut Updated Sep 13, 2002

The Lobster House located at Fisherman's Wharf is probably Cape May's most famous restaurant. Growing up as a child, our family stayed 1/2 block from Fisherman's Wharf and the Lobster House. Thankfully (I hate seafood), I never had to eat there, but I am very familiar with the restaurant and the seafood is top quality. We went there on our honeymoon and I can tell you the king crab legs were longer than my arm! I had a steak, which was okay, but seafood is their 'thing'. If you want great seafood, the Lobster House is where you want to go. It's not a cheap restaurant, but you get what you pay for.

There is also a fishmonger and you can purchase fresh fish to take out.

• SURFIN7TH's Profile Photo

Lobster House: Lobster House

by SURFIN7TH Written Sep 12, 2002

Order Take Out from the fresh seafood store next door and eat outside on the water.

Favorite Dish: Broiled Shrimp, Fried Flounder

Mango Snapple

• windoweb's Profile Photo

The Lobster House: Great fresh lobster

by windoweb Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mike and I both enjoyed our dining experience here at The Lobster House. We both had lobster tails to eat.

On the water

Instant Answers: Cape May

Comments

Hotels Near The Lobster House
4.0 out of 5 stars