Driving in Freehold and surrounding areas can be a nightmare! The roads are crowded and confusing, and traffic moves slowly, if you're lucky, through downtown. The preferred method of travel around downtown is walking or the public bus, which takes back streets and the busway.
You will see plenty of wreckless driving in Freehold; you have to watch very carefully when driving around Freehold.
Neighborhoods to stay away from!
As in many other towns and cities across our nation, there are many neighborhoods in Freehold to stay away from. I will outline some of these neighborhoods here:
1. Throckmorton St. west of Broad St. to Rhea St.: This neighborhood, not too far from downtown, is home to many illegal Mexican immigrants and, unfourtunately, alot of drugs and crime. Throckmorton St. is okay to drive down, but walking around this area, especailly at night, is not recommended.
2. On and around Center St., between Conover and 4th Streets:
This neighborhood is typical of other low income "ghettos" in large cities across the country. It's unfourtunate that alot of muggings and crime happen in this neighborhood.
3. Conover St. between Hudson and Jerseyville:
While it has improved drastically over the past couple of years, this area has still got a long way to go. Walking through this area during the day should be ok at most times, but try to avoid dark alleys and intimidating people in the street.
Most expensive taxicabs anywhere!
Watch out for the cabs that you can call or hail along Main St. or at the bus terminal! Cabs in this city WILL cost you a fortune, so try to walk or take the bus whenever possible, to avoid high fares.
The cab fare between downtown Freehold and the Freehold Raceway Mall will cost you somewhere between 5 and 7 dollars. The same trip on the public bus will cost you $1.10, and will only take about 2 minutes longer (for stops).
- Save up to 60% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site