High Point State Park Travel Guide

• Things to Do
    In Memory of Stella

High Point State Park Things to Do

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 23, 2009

Lake Marcia is located right next to the ski lodge. We stopped here to check out a map of the trails. There is a playground for the little ones and a beach. We we were there no swimming signs were posted, but in the warmer weather there is swimming allowed. Visitors can bring their fishing poles and try to catch something. We saw a couple of folks, but didn't see them real anything in. There is a hiking trail that takes visitors around a lake. Lake Marcia also meets up with the Monument trail. You can get an excellent view of the High Point Monument from nearly every spot along Lake Marcia's shores.

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 23, 2009

Most people know that I absolutely love butterflies, so every time I get a chance to enjoy their beauty I do. One thing I noticed while we were hiking was all the butterflies fluttering about. We mostly saw Spring Azures, but we also saw a few of the butterfly pictured above. I'm not sure of the name of this species, but it's pretty. I am always careful not to disturb their natural habitat.

by moiraistyx Written Apr 18, 2009

We could see the High Point Monument from route 23 as we were driving to High Point State Park. Richie hadn't known about the monument until that point.

The monument was built to honor of all war veterans. Construction began in 1928 and completed 2 years later in 1930. The tower is 220 feet tall and offers observers a breathtaking view of the ridges of the Pocono Mountains toward the west, the Catskill Mountains to the north and the Wallkill River Valley in the southeast. From what I have read there are over 270 stairs to the top of the tower.

When we were her the monument was closed for the winter. It will reopen for tours in the spring.

High Point State Park Warnings and Dangers

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 23, 2009

This was one of the windiest places I have been since I was at Mt. Washington in the White Mountains. Thank goodness it was warm out, cause anything cooler would have made the wind unbearable. My suggestion for those with long hair is to tie it up. When I got back to the car, my hair was like a bird's nest. It took forever to get out all of the knots and tangles. Wear sunglasses if you have them that way dust, dirt and debris will be safely kept out of your eyes.

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 23, 2009

I think the picture says it all, put in case you didn't know, this is bear country. If you see a bear do not approach it. If you see cubs along the path turn around and go the opposite way. There is nothing more dangerous than a mother bear who thinks her cubs are in danger. We didn't see any bears, thank gosh, I probably would have crapped, but we did see some bear droppings and decided to high tail it out of there.

• High Point State Park Hotels

0 Hotels in High Point State Park

High Point State Park Off The Beaten Path

In Memory of Stella

by moiraistyx Written Apr 18, 2009

While we were hiking Richie noticed a plaque sitting beneath us on the ledge. Patrick and I climbed down and checked it out. My guess would be that Stella loved High Point State Park.

High Point State Park Sports & Outdoors

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Patrick hiking up the stone stairs

by moiraistyx Written Apr 18, 2009

High Point State Park is loaded with hiking trails for all skill levels. We took the green/red trail from the High Point Monument down the mountain over to Lake Marcia and back up the mountain to end at the monument. This is known as the Monument Trail. You can basically start this trail at two points, at it's bottom by Lake Marcia or at its top by the High Point Monument. Since we started at the top we could chose which direction to go, right or left. We chose right. The hike down wasn't awful and was just difficult enough to make me sweat. Right before you get to Lake Marcia you come across these stone stairs which appear to be cut into the rocks. Well sure enough they are . After doing some checking I found that the Civilian Conservation Corp carved the 1/4 mile long staircase in the 1930s. After we made it to Lake Marcia and began our hike up was when the true difficulty of this trail hit me. This last stretch of the trail really hit me and made my heart beat like a jack hammer. I would suggest going to the left no matter which place you start this trail.

Equipment: Hiking boots or some other sturdy shoes, back pack, snacks, water/gatorade/powerade, camera, sunglasses, bug spray, sun black

High Point State Park Favorites

by moiraistyx Written Apr 18, 2009

Favorite thing: Whether you are at the top of the monument or walking one of the trails, you are going to come across some of the most beautiful views. I am directionally challenged so I haven't a clue which state I was looking at when, but I thought it was just too pretty to care.

Fondest memory: Patrick running around the base of the monument going hey mom look at this view.

Instant Answers: High Point State Park

Comments

High Point State Park Travel Guide
Map of High Point State Park