Highlands Restaurants

Seafood paradise!
    by NJMike
    Located right on the river.
    by NJMike
  • Restaurants
    by 88Starflite

Most Recent Restaurants in Highlands

• timothy.ian's Profile Photo

Wind and Sea: Extremely Disappointed

by timothy.ian Written Aug 13, 2011

My was excited about having a nice dinner together early Friday so she called Wind and Sea. My wife spoke with the hostess and was promised there would be no issue to sit by the water at the agreed upon time. We arrived on time and were told we had a forty minute wait so we left.

The following day, Saturday, we returned at 5:00PM. I let my wife out of the car and asked her to go upstairs and speak with the hostess to see if there were any tables available by the water. Thirty seconds later, my wife returned down stairs with a thumbs up. I parked the car immediately across the street and walked we walked up stairs to see the hostess that promised my wife a table less than three minutes before. When we reached the hostess, we watched her seat another couple by the water and when she returned to our surprise she denied my wife and I a seat by the water even though there were empty tables.

Wind and Sea; SHAME ON YOU.

There to many honorable establishments in the area for my family and I to enjoy a good sea food dinner by the water. It's not difficult to guess we will not return to Wind and Sea again.

• NJMike's Profile Photo

Bahr's Landing: Best seafood restaurant anywhere!

by NJMike Updated Apr 4, 2011

Seafood paradise!

This is my favorite seafood restaurant anywhere in the world, and I have done a bit of traveling! I'm from the Jersey Shore but now live in Europe. I usually get back the Jersey once a year and this restaurant is part of my pilgrimmage home.

The restaurant is right on the river, with that great salt air smell, which gets me in the mood for seafood! When I have enough time for a sit-down meal and am not in a hurry to get out into the sunshine and just enjoy the outdoors, I usually start off with some clam chowder (white or red, it doesn't matter much), followed by some crab cakes. I love crab cakes and over here in Europe, well, they're just not the same (if you're lucky enough to find them). The fried jumbo shrimp usually round off the meal since there is no room left in me for dessert.

If I don't have much time and usually if I'm there alone, driving from Long Branch up north Jersey, I stop in and sit at the bar and order a Sam Adams and a mug of New England clam chowder (the white one) and play Springsteen's "Jersey Girl" on the jukebox.

The clam chowder is $6.75 and comes with lots of oyster crackers. I love that chowder and usually buy several cans to stuff in my suitcase to bring back to Belgium with me. Yes, I even have the chowder mug!

This year is the restaurant's 90th anniversary I just realized, so hopefully they'll offer some 1917 prices on some of the food!

The restaurant, to me, is a historic part of the Jersey shore and was even seen in the Kevin Smith movie "Jersey Girl" with Ben Affleck. I also heard that Tony Soprano has stopped in.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

WindanSea: Restaurant with an ocean AND bay view!

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 9, 2007

WindandSea--bar area

WindanSea overlooks a beautiful bay AND an ocean--who could ask for a better location? My husband and I like to invite out of town visitors to our favorite restaurant in Highlands, New Jersey. Manhattan can be seen in the distance on clear days and at night--the brightly lit bridges and the Empire State Building glow invitingly in the dark skies.

This restaurant is very popular so is quite busy on the weekends. Upon arrival, guests are given a beeper which will notify them when a table is available. Don't worry though, on summer days or nights a tiki bar waits along the water to refresh you. Appreciate a fine glass of wine or cocktail while you watch boats glide by and feel the ocean breeze on your face. Before you know it, your beeper is ringing!

The dining room and bar sit at the second level; the tiki bar on ground level. Tables, chairs and benches are stationed along the water to welcome you while you wait.

Although WindanSea has delectable seafood, it offers a variety of entrees like Chicken Francais, Linguine with Vodka and tasteful salads like Chicken Caesar Salad. Kids will love the chicken fingers or hamburgers, too. We've never been disappointed in our meal and it's worth waiting a few extra minutes to have your meal on the outdoor balcony.

WindandSea opens daily at 11:30 a.m.

Favorite Dish: I love the Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad!!

• 88Starflite's Profile Photo

Doris & Eds And Wind N Sea: Ask First

by 88Starflite Written Aug 3, 2006

View from Wind N Sea

Not all places are good. Some are tourist traps.

Favorite Dish: Up-scale eating wpuld be "Doris & Eds" which is one of the best resturants in NJ. For the best view and being a classy place at a modest price "Wind N Sea" is one sharp place.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Bahr's: Fresh Seafood with Waterfront Seating

by kazander Written Aug 31, 2004

Bahr's

Since our trip to Maine Lou has had a thing for Lobster. We had heard lots of good things about Bahr's from friends of ours who are frequent visitors, so we included in our Sandy Hook plans.
    Most of the menu is Seafood; Lobster, clams, fresh fish, ect... There is a small section for "landlubbers". If your not into fish, you better like steak, because your only other choice is lots of drinks from the bar...
    Which are really quite tasty, besides the beer on tap they also have some "fancy" drinks like the Chocolate Covered Banana Daquiri which comes with a free pint glass

• Beaches

• kazander's Profile Photo

Off the Hook: Lunch with a View

by kazander Written Aug 31, 2004

Off the Hook

Instead of sitting in traffic waiting to get over the bridge into Sandy Hook, we decided to pull into "Off the Hook", a restaurant and bar with great views of the river and ocean. We were hungry for lunch and it seemed to be a perfect spot for a bite to eat. They have tons of outdoor seating and an outdoor bar, even some palm trees to add to the ambiance. After we finished the traffic had magically disappeared.

Favorite Dish: Lou had the steamers and I had a sun burnt chicken sandwich, both were great!

• Beaches

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Subs N More: Sea Bright Subs

by PA2AKgirl Written Feb 5, 2004

I could eat here everyday, I think. Breakfast and Lunch. Definitely the best sandwich I've ever had in my life. I believe they use Boar's Head meats and cheeses, straight from Brooklyn, so that explains why it's wonderful. But they have a huge menu with some great sandwiches. Mmmmm...I want to go now.

Favorite Dish: The Louisiana Lightning is wonderful. It's cajun turkey and I don't know what else...pepper jack cheese, perhaps and tomato, lettuce, etc...but the turkey is awesome.

Instant Answers: Highlands

Comments

Highlands Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Highlands restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Highlands sightseeing.