Newark Restaurants

• alycat's Profile Photo

Kings Family Restaurant and Catering: The finest Southern Halal Food

by alycat Written May 3, 2013
    King size b'fast

It is not a fancy place and is located in a residential neighborhood, one of the reasons it has a nice friendly air to it. We stopped here for b'fast on a Sunday morning on our back to DC, and boy were we delighted. This is the first time I was having southern Halal food, and that is so huge for me, to find something so amazing in a new town and that too early morning for b'fast (They open at 7 am) and so reasonably priced!!!

They have a very busy kitchen and the waitress serving us was awesome. She knew all the items on the menu by heart, and even the side dishes and paraphernalia that comes along with each dish. We had requests for cheese, no cheese, egg with butter, and all sorts of detailing, but she got it right...right down to the T!

Favorite Dish: They have a huge menu and the waitress told me they serve b'fast, lunch and dinner all day, all items.

I had a grilled chicken omellete that comes with fries and toast...fabulous dish to have for b'fast. We also ordered fresh waffles with syrup, amazing! I flushed that down with hot chocolate, so ready for the 4 hour drive to DC...bring it on!!!

I just wish this restaurant was closer to DC, but no sweat I intend to stop here every time I drive to NYC...PROMISE!!

• ines2003's Profile Photo

Mi Pequeño Mexico: hispanic place

by ines2003 Written Jan 15, 2013

I'm kinda a fan of this place... They don't have a big selection of Vegetarian food Has good Mexican flavors, the which makes it 10 times better... Love the Chips and Salsa Too!

Favorite Dish: the Spinach Tacos, or Chicken Tacos and they are good, Small but for the Prince you pay its worth it... No alcohol this place.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Brazilia Grill: Rodizio in Portuguese America

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

Newark - USA

After almost two hours of confused driving (Monroe St against Monroe Rd and Brazilian Grill against Brazilian Restaurant) we finally reached the restaurant that a few days before we had chosen to have diner.

It was a perfect brazilian rodizio, at a price surprisingly moderate. We had a late meal, but it surely worth the effort.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Valença: True Portugal

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

Newark - USA

In all the places I have been, the discovery of something portuguese doesn't stop me from knowing how locals deal with our food.

I try to find the differences between the original cuisine and the "possible" one, far away, with different ingredients.

Nowhere I found the food so authentic as in Valenca, Newark. To complete the scene, Portuguese TV, and costumers talking loud. Yes, that's Portugal. And it's good, believe me!

• 27Mix: New american with down home feel

by maxsmart Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great down to earth place with monthly revolovling local art displayed on walls ina beatuifully designed space. open kitchen serving a wide variety of flavorrs at reasonable peices. Best Mohito in Newark. Located midway bet. NJPAC and Newark Museum and 10 minute safe wal to the ROCK. arena.

Favorite Dish: Lobster corn chowder, Grilled chicken sandwhich w/ broccoli rabe and fresh mossarela and Pan roasted pork medallians w/ wild mushrooom ravioli, broccoli rabe, white beans and Madeira wine sauce. (To name a few.)

• Iberia: Excellent!!!

by hiyameema Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food at Iberia is great, there are two area plus banquet rooms upstairs. There is a dinning room and a bar/resteraunt. The bar area is very busy with locals and those of us who want quick service and unexpected entertainment. You never know who will be popping in. My husband and I were there when a Spanish opera singer and her husband came in and we all had gotten a free concert while sitting at the bar. They usually have caballero strolling thru the resteraunt and that gives it a quaint atmosphere. Got hooked on liquor 43 and capiccino! Yum! They make the best capaccino with whipped cream, not to mention the best Spanish food in all Newark. Great rodizio!!!!!!! at great prices. Every time we come from Las Vegas back to NJ we head for Iberia. Can't say enough about the place and the service on either side is excellent.

Favorite Dish: I'm not sure how to spell this well. Pahadilla. It's a huge dish of all seafoods, broiled and fried for two on a bed of yellow rice. It's really a lot of food and goes well with their fantastic sangria. Then the Cappiccino and 43.

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Iberia Peninsula: Authentic, Fresh, Delicious Iberian Seafood

by asturnut Updated Apr 4, 2011

Iberia on the left

As with all of the finer Iberian restaurants in the Ironbound, the first thing you notice when you approach the restaurant are the beautiful, typically European solid wood doors. You can spot the good restaurants from the fast food in the Ironbound just by looking at the doorway. The ambiance of Iberia Peninsula is typical European "smart casual" despite the fact the waiters wear black tuxedos. The menu at Iberia is pretty authentic, except the fact that the food is sold a la carte, instead of family style as it would be in Europe. There are several items on the menu however, that are offered family style. Next to the restaurant is the bar which is positively chock full of people.

Favorite Dish: Iberia's seafood is unbelievley fresh and authentic. Their non-seafood offerings are limited. Really good flan and house wines.

• nyceagle1633's Profile Photo

Seabra Marisqueira: Frutos do Mar na Cataplana

by nyceagle1633 Written Apr 26, 2010

The Frutos do Mar na Cataplana is the specialty of the house. A wonderful portuguese dish with 2 lobsters and tons of shrimp and scallops as well as some mussels and clams, cooked in a red tangy tomato sauce will knock you out.

Favorite Dish: Frutos do Mar na Cataplana

• Tony Da Caneca: Tony Da Caneca- good food!

by sabur76 Written Aug 22, 2009

I was taken here for a quasi-business related lunch. The premises are clean and well kept. This is Portuguese food restaurant.

Examples of entrees and deserts were brought out on trays so that you could see them before you ordered.

The interior was quiet and wait staff had more formal manners than I'm used to.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the lunch buffet as did my companions. Three or four selections of seafood, chicken, beef and two selections of pork.

By far the pork was superior to the beef and chicken. I do not eat seafood but my companions assured me that it was very high in quality and taste.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Maui Taco: Avoid the Maui Taco at the Airport

by Roadquill Written Jun 8, 2009

OK, so I am not big on restaurant fare at airports. I don't really expect much either. Irrespective that you have to add 20% to the cost of airport food simply because they have you by the b^$&s. But the Maui Taco is to be avoided at all costs. I am a big Maui Taco fan. At least the Maui Tacos in Maui. They are so good I go out of my way to just to pile a few down. But the Maui Taco in the airport terminal at Newark is nothing short of disgusting. The fish tacos are watery, made with some horrible fish content. Sauce, cabbage, watery low end fish on a flour tortilla. Yuck. I had also tried a steak taco. Full of fat even though I paid an extra dollar for the taco over the ground beef. The person taking the order was difficult to understand and when you tried to ask a question became inpatient and did not want to deal with you. There were only two kinds of watery sauces and you had to ask. The tortilla chips were cheap and crumbly. What a complete waste all around. Maui Taco should be embarrassed.

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Casa Vasca: Very Good Spanish/Portuguese Food

by SFHulaGIrl Written May 15, 2007

A local place with a small bar & dining area in the front; a larger dining area in the back. Very casual; friendly locals.

Favorite Dish: We were here for a Company event. Our appetizers were garlic soup, shrimp in garlic sauce, fried calamari, grilled Spanish sausage & stuffed mushrooms. I LOVED that garlic soup! Entrees were Paella Valenciana (Spanish rice w/shellfish, chicken & sausage), chicken breast in garlic sauce & sirloin in a wine sauce. Add to that, many pitcher of both red & white sangria, & you have the makings of a merry evening!

• patnoelle's Profile Photo

Seabra's Rodizio: All You Can Eat Barbecue!

by patnoelle Written Feb 12, 2007

Restaurant close to NJPAC. It offers all you can eat brazilian/portuguese barbecue

Favorite Dish: Not only you get tired of the variety of meats the waiters will keep bringing if you wish, but before this part of the meal starts the restaurant offers the most extensive all you can eat buffet I have ever seen!! Amazing!

• patnoelle's Profile Photo

Fornos of Spain: Upscale Spanish Cuisine!

by patnoelle Written Feb 12, 2007

I have enjoyed food at Fornos since it opened, in the early 1980's. It offers good quality and a great selection of Spanish dishes, they will also cater to any special demand from customer if not available on the regular menu. It is always crowded!

Favorite Dish: 1. Paella marinera
    2. Stuffed calamari

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Fornos of Spain: Good Spanish Food in Newark's Ironbound Section

by mikelisaanna Written Sep 26, 2005

The street entrance to Fornos of Spain in Newark

Fornos is one of the best Spanish restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark, which is famous for its many Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilian restaurants. Fornos serves a wide variety of Spanish dishes, including meat and fish entrees, as well as paellas. The portions are large, so you won't leave the restaurant hungry.

• Business Travel

• CHARLIE'S FAMOUS ITALIAN HOT DOGS: New Jersey Hot Dogs!

by Nutty63 Written Sep 22, 2003

Charlie's Famous has justifiably earned raves for their Italian Hot Dogs. Singles or Doubles are served on wedges of hearth baked "Pizza Bread" topped with fried onions, peppers and potatoes.

Charlie's also sells "Push Carts," basic dogs on a roll and topped with basic dog toppings. They're fine, but not sure why anyone would pass on the Italian Hot Dog in favor of a basic dog.

Instant Answers: Newark

Comments

Newark Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Newark restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Newark sightseeing.