Newark Transportation

The Walk From Newark's Penn Station.
    by JohnnySpangles
    by solopes
    by solopes

Most Recent Transportation in Newark

• ines2003's Profile Photo

super shuttle

by ines2003 Written Jan 15, 2013

Newark Liberty Airport is located 16 miles from midtown Manhattan in Essex and Union Counties between the New Jersey Turnpike, U.S. Routes 1 and 9 and I-78. EWR was opened in 1928 and quickly became one of the world’s busiest commercial airports.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Fast and secure

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

Newark - USA

Imagine us arriving late at the hotel by Newark Airport, with a flight back home the next day, in the afternoon. How to use the morning? Here it goes:

Leave the hotel early, and drive to the Liberty State Park. Visit the park, while waiting for the first boat to Ellis Island.

Visit Ellis Island museum, and take a picture of Liberty statue, without leaving the boat, to proceed immediately to Manhattan. Exit at Battery park, wander a while around Wall Street and City Hall, do our shopping at JR's, swallow a pizza in 2.45 minutes, watch gound zero works, and run to World Financial Center to take a Water Taxi back to Liberty State Park by $5. Get the car and drive to the airport, to deliver it at 3 PM. Easy, isn't it?

But... would it be possible to do driving to New York?

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

NEWARK AIRPORT

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 4, 2011

The first time I flew out of Newark was when I went to Puerto Rico in 2007. I had to catch a really early flight, 6:00, so I arrived at about 4:30 AM. Much to my amazement, loads of people take those early morning flights, which made navigating the airport terminals interesting. Anyway, I used the economy parking lot which turned out to not be very economical, over $140 for 7 days of parking. They did have a courtesy shuttle which picked me up in my no man's land parking lot and brought me to the correct terminal. I made sure to tip the driver a couple of buck because he helped me on and off with my luggage. There are over 20 different airlines which fly in and out of Newark and there is a Marriot for those unlucky travelers who either miss their flights or their flights get canceled. If you are having a bad day, you can visit the spa at terminals A, B or C for a little bit of pampering.

See the website for directions on how to get here, it can be confusing.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

EWR International - one of New York's airports

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

photo from inside the plane

My sister said she would NEVER go to JFK. So we flew from EWR (Newark). She off loaded us about 3:30 (photo 2). I had printed out boarding passes, but the website told me that I still had to check in. I knew there was a fast drop for baggage, if you didn't need to check in and I went there - I figured the worst it could be is that they'd tell us we couldn't do it.

The man at the counter was effusive - he said OF COURSE we were checked in - we had boarding passes. So he took our suitcases and checked them through to SNN (Shannon). Then he tagged our boarding passes with a green sticker for a wheelchair. He did not ask to see my authorization for my grandson.

The sign at the gate said there was wi-fi, so I found a plug to plug the computer in and tried it. But you had to pay. So I just sat and edited photos (photo 3). I sent my grandson to see if there was anything to eat. He said there was just a bar. I bought a turkey sandwich ($8.29) and a smoothie ($3.39). We each ate half of the sandwich. But the smoothie was too dense and sweet.

The plane was loaded and ready to leave early (1815). However the pilot told us that Newark ATC was really screwed up and told us that we couldn't leave for a hour or so. After an hour he came on again and said that ATC didn't know when we would leave.

About 2100, they decided to go ahead and feed us dinner - the problem being that if a call came to take off, they'd have to take up the dinner and we wouldn't get any. Then as soon as everyone got their dinner the pilot announced that we were moving "off the stand" which I guess is the same as pulling away from the gate, and I told my grandson to eat fast, and eat the hot stuff first. He'd already finished his. We went out to the taxiway, and sat there. The pilot announced that they just wanted us 'off the stand' - we weren't going anywhere. I could feel my ankles swelling, but there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Finally about 11:30 or a little after, we were told to get back to our seats, and we took off (photo 5).

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

• rmdw's Profile Photo

EWR - Newark Airport

by rmdw Updated Apr 4, 2011

Checking in at EWR (FC)

EWR is a well run airport, one of three that serve New York City. However on a reason trip I learned how crazy it is for International travellers to depart: You park in the garage, then take an elevator up. Then you walk across a pathway and take another elevator down. Then you walk along the ground floor and take another elevator up. However this elevator only goes to the 3rd floor so you have to walk to another elevator and take it one more floor up to the 4th floor departure area. I can't believe that anyone with much luggage would have ever designed this system!

• Business Travel

• JohnnySpangles's Profile Photo

Penn To Penn

by JohnnySpangles Updated Jul 25, 2010
    The Walk From Newark's Penn Station.

Easiest way to get to Newark is from New York's Penn Station to New Jersey's Penn Station...indeed there are two of them...one in Newark and one in Manhattan..so don't get confused.

There's a train about every ten minutes. Just be careful as your New York Transit tourist ticket won't cover a trip to Newark...pay seperately at the the station at the New Jersey Transit Booth or Ticket Machines.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

TYPICAL NEW JERSEY DRIVING

by moiraistyx Written Mar 9, 2009

Newark is no different than any other New Jersey city when it come to driving to and around it. When on the highways, make sure you pay attention to the signs, the toll booths and the speed limit. It has been my experience that New Jersey folks tend to be a tad bit on the lead footed side. If you don't have an easy pass, make sure you have small bills for the tolls, otherwise you hold up the line and people honk at you in disgust while you wait for your change.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Getting to Newark from New York City

by mikelisaanna Written Sep 10, 2005

Newark is easily accessible from New York City. Trains run regularly from Penn Station in New York (31st and 8th Avenue in Manhattan) to Pennsylvania Station in Newark. In addition, PATH (subway) trains service Newark from Manhattan via Jersey City.

• Trains

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Leave your car at home or at a kiss 'n ride

by asturnut Updated Oct 21, 2002

I wouldn't really recommend driving in Newark. Driving in a city your are unfamiliar is never a good idea, and New Jersey drivers are notoriously agressive. Newark has good public transpo to and around. You can take the train and it will drop you off any place you need or want to be. If the train doesn't go there, you probably don't have any business being there.

• 'THE LOOP' It's an exotic...

by miromi Written Sep 7, 2002

'THE LOOP' It's an exotic little purple van that takes you around 'the loop' of Newark for only a $1. We took over an entire LOOP vehicle with a screaming drunken crowd of 10, and told jokes to the driver and saw the vivacious downtown Newark from the comfort of solarized plexiglass windows

• NewarkDevil's Profile Photo

If you are traveling to Newark...

by NewarkDevil Written Aug 26, 2002

If you are traveling to Newark from a city on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor then that would probably be the easiest way to get there. From within the state, NJTransit's Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Shore, and Raritan Valley Lines all stop in Penn Station and the Morris and Essex Lines as well as the Boonton line stop at Broad Street Station. By air from farther away, Newark International Airport would be the way to go and from there to downtown is now just a train ride away. By car, the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Interstate Routes 280 and 78 will take you to the city. Once there I would suggest parking in the Military Park parking garage which is under the park itself. It is large and cavernous and the fact that it was built under a historic park makes it kinda cool. It also just happens to be the center of all the happening things in Newark.
    Once within Newark you probably will be able to walk most anywhere you'd want to go, but if you need to there is a highly effective bus system as well as a subway line that runs to the north along Branch Brook Park. Taxis are relatively abundant on the major roads like Broad Street, McCarter Highway, Springfield Avenue, Martin Luther King Boulevard, and South Orange Avenue. But since the vast majority of attractions are within a fifteen minute walk of downtown's center these shouldn't be too necessary.

• feline01's Profile Photo

Check out...

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

Check out www.panynj.gov/newarkairport for all information related to Newark International Airport including the Airtrain that runs from the Airport to downtown Newark Penn Station.
    Newark City Subway or local buses. Check out www.njtransit.com for more information.

• Chuq's Profile Photo

This is the only thing I know...

by Chuq Written Aug 25, 2002

This is the only thing I know about Newark. My entire visit consisted of a stop-over at Newark International Airport. Erm, its a nice airport :P We flew in from Los Angeles and out to London. Had a nice seven hour wait in the plane before it took off :P

Instant Answers: Newark

Comments

Newark Transportation

Reviews and photos of Newark transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Newark sightseeing.