Places to eat in New Jersey

Pizza at The Ugly Mug
    Crab Cake Sandwich at The Ugly Mug

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Jersey

• gwened's Profile Photo

The Barge: seafood at its best by waterfront

by gwened Written Jan 28, 2014

This is a family favorite for years like since 1975 and many friends we still in touch. The place is historical in town love by all, seafood at its best facing the waterfront to New York city. as the webpage says family owned since 1925!!!

the hours are Mondays to Thursdays from 11h30 to 22h, Fridays from 11h30 to 23h, Saturdays from 11h30 to 23h and Sundays from 12h to 22H

from NJ resto and banquet page you can see plenty of nice pictures, I missed it as not into travel forums back then

Favorite Dish: the clams, mussels, chowder soup, and broiled flounder, and red snapper are well known to please many lol!

• gwened's Profile Photo

Portuguese Manor: old favorite Portuguese

by gwened Written Jan 28, 2014

This was my hangout when in town and so glad is still going strong. Last visited in 2009 but lived here for 11 years.
    Play football for the community club and we came here to eat always. Portuguese specialties at its best done by Portugueses. Its been several years and at that time was not into travel sites nor photos.sadly.

hours are mondays to Thursdays from 11h30 to 22h, Fridays 11h30 to 23h ,Saturdays 15h to 23h and Sundays 13h to 21h

Favorite Dish: carne de puerco alentejana or pork dish from the Alentejo region of Portugal , simply always good
    the codfish is always good, as well as the shrimp dishes all good; great wine selection from many like Portugal, Spain, Italy or Germany

• Mayzhou100's Profile Photo

. Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant: Eat with your hand

by Mayzhou100 Written Jun 30, 2013

Ethiopian food, Yes! You can find this authentic food in States. I ate mine in New Jersey for the first time in my life. Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant is a famous restaurant, recommended by many media such as New York Times and NJ Monthly. The unique experience is that you eat the food with your hand only, not with fork, knife or chopsticks. You will definitely suck your fingers because it tastes so good.

The restaurant looks nice. Ancient characters printed on lamps and decorations of Ethiopian costumes on the wall make it very different from other restaurants.

When I made my order, friend asked me to choose one entree and two side dishes. I thought it would be too much. But actually, the food we ordered was brought out in small dishes. We ordered TIBS WAT (spicy beef), Shrimp TIBS, INGUDAI TIBS (mushrooms), ATKILT ALETCHA (green bean and carrot), and KIK ALETCHA (yellow peas). The waitress poured them on top of big flat bread. The bread made by sourdough and looked very thin with many holes in it and tasted a little bit sour. The thin bread called “injera”. You can split it into small pieces and wrap/dip with your dishes for a mouthful bite. Extra injeras will be served if you need more.
    We finished almost the whole big bread and extra injeras. The juices from the dishes socked the bread and it absorbed the rich tastes to the maximum. So delicious!

Favorite Dish: I would recommend Shrimp Tibs. it is fresh and tender, taste good!

how to eat Ethiopian food: http://youtu.be/uf46zpm79CQ

• danasuzanne's Profile Photo

Barca Velha: BEST Portugese, AMAZING Food!

by danasuzanne Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is one of the best meals I've ever had. Fresh seafood is the speciality. Excellent wine list filled with delicious Portugese wines. The owner, Carlos is very knowledgleable & passionate about the food, presentation & wine list. A fine ambiance, atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Grilled and topped with sautéed jumbo lump crabmeat, cherry tomatoes and fresh dill in a Muscatel wine reduction.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Eclectic Cafe: Delicous coffee in a relaxed atmosphere

by kazander Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cafe Eclectic is a perfect little coffehouse with a "shabby chic" decor. They have loosely themed the restaurant along the lines of a medieval castle, but not so much that it is obtrusive. The smoking section is the place to sit. Even if you don't smoke, you should try to deal with it because it is just so much better than non. The non smoking section is a little room with little wooden tables and chairs. Smoking however, is a large open space with good ventilation and best of all tons of couches and chairs in a vintage,"grandma's basement" sort of style. UPDATE! ALL NJ resturants are now non-smoking, so you can relax in the comfy room without enduring second hand smoke!

I included their website but the pictures on it really don't do it justice.

Favorite Dish: They have great food, as well as great coffee. My favorite is the Chicken and Brie wrap with pistachios and cranberries. I always get the mocha infusion, it's the one that has the white chocolate/raspberry flavor .
    11/05 I just recently returned to Cafe Eclectic, and I am sad to say that the food has gone downhill. My wrap was not nearly as tasty as it used to be, and they replaced the side salad with a macaroni salad. Yick. I missed the leafy greens. The cofee was still excellent, so you might just want to pop in for a drink instead of lunch. Next time I visit Montclair, I want to check out the Sangria resturant just a little bit down the block. I'll post a tip after I check it out!

Cafe Eclectic

• kazander's Profile Photo

La Scalla: Authentic Italian

by kazander Updated Apr 4, 2011

La Scalla. A wonderful resturant in Hoboken, just across the river from NYC. We have been going here for ages...Louis and my 2nd date was here:) We know the owners, Francesco and Carlo, who is also the Chef. Louis actually took all the pictures for their website.
    The food is fabulous, authentic Italian Cuisine. The ambiance is perfect, small dim romantic little place. they often hold opera nights, so you can listen while you dine.
    There is no bar it is BYOB, but there is a liquor store across the street. I believe they will even deliver to the restaurant if you forget:)

Favorite Dish: Banana Nutella Crepes for desert! No contest, hands down ,Best Dessert Ever (Next to my Mom's Chocolate cheesecake)

11/05 Sadly La Scalla has closed it's doors and can longer serve you it's delicious dishes. I'm keeping the tip up just for me:)

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Montesini Pizza Ristorante: Pizza anyone?

by b1bob Updated Apr 4, 2011

Montesini Pizza Ristorante is located at Larchmont Commons Shopping Centre in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. It has all kinds of pizzas on the menu as well as stromboli and other Italian favourites.

Favorite Dish: My boss and I split a pizza with pepperoni and green peppers. What really stood out is that the tomato sauce they used was fresh as opposed to the tomato paste used at national chains like Pizza Hut or regional ones like Fazzoli's. Our only complaint is that anchovies were not offered up as a topping here. I rarely get a chance to enjoy the salty fish on my pizza because many of my friends won't touch them with a 10-foot (3 m.) pole. My boss has a similar problem. The only time each of us get to enjoy anchovy pizzas is on business trips like this. The green peppers together with the fresher tomato sauce made this pizzas and the restaurant worth a stop in.

Montesini Pizza Ristorante

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Uno Chicago Grille: Great Food in Maple Shade

by Basaic Written Nov 18, 2010

This grille had a nice appearance inside and out. Inside was dark colors and dark wood, and it looked very trendy. The menu was a small problem for me, it was so varied and had so many items that sounded good it took me a while to decide. I finally opted for a Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo which I requested they make "spicy". The food was very well presented and was tasy. I would have liked a larger portion; but it was very, very good. My waitress was friendly, professional and efficient. As we talked, I found Kendra and I had a lot in common. We both love to travel (I suggested she join VT) and both absolutely love movies. It is slightly more expensive than many places but it was worth it. I highly recommend this place!
    They serve beer and wine.

Favorite Dish: The Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo was superb. I asked for "spicy" and they seasoned it just right.

Uno Chicago Grille
    • Wine Tasting

• Florida999's Profile Photo

Chun Bo Chinese and Japanese Restaurant: Great Chinese food !

by Florida999 Written Aug 2, 2010

I didn't expect such a wonderful Chinese restaurant in the far western corner of New Jersey, but we went there with our friends for New Years ( American, not Chinese) and it was great. We all loved the food, and I thought the place looked very nice also.

Favorite Dish: Dumplings, Orange Chicken

Chinese Restaurant

Chicken Holiday: Yummy Chicken

by Cielo_Algaeed Written Aug 23, 2009

The owner of this Chicken Hoilday branch is a former collegue of my mom in Dunkin Donuts and so we paid a visit to try their food.

The food are all good and very reasonable price.

Additional info:
    Monday – Saturday 11am – 10pm
    Sunday 11am – 9pm

Favorite Dish: Mac and Cheese, Macaroni Salad, Rolls & Mashed Potato

Carabbas: Italian Grill

by Cielo_Algaeed Written Aug 23, 2009

We had the staple Italian food. Selection of breads, Salad and Pasta. The food are all ok and the service is really nice.

Carabbas has several branches in New Jersey but the one we tried is located in East Brunswick NJ

Makkoli Seafood Buffet: Don't Miss The Maki

by Cielo_Algaeed Written Aug 23, 2009

We celebrated our Christmas day here at Makkoli. We tried their lunch buffet. The food were all ok though nothing superb! I lvoe thier California Maki though..Lots of sushi and teppanyaki to choose from. They also have squid, chicken terriyaki,soup and differetn kinds of desserts.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Irving's---known for their servings....enormous!: Looking for a great Jewish Deli??

by Pawtuxet Written Aug 3, 2008

We had the best pastromi on rye sandwiches in Jersey. Irving's is a New York Jewish Deli that prides themselves on their fabulous pastromi...big servings....excellent half sour pickles....well, and everything else.
    They give you pickles automatically when you are seated. There are half sours, some very sour, and some pickled tomatoes. Then comes a dish of cole slaw. Service was quick and in no time we were enjoying a great pastromi sandwich on rye, with mustard that had just enough zest. My son and his wife shared a Rueben...plenty for two people. You could buy their meat by the pound which would be great for a party. The place reminded me of some place I've been in when visiting Manhattan. They do a great job. I don't remember if they are totally kosher, but they probably are.
    Soooo good.

Favorite Dish: Half sandwich of pastromi on rye w/ mustard. That means half the meat but a full sandwich. Yet there was enough meat there for two normal sized sandwiches. yum

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Breanna's: Good Italian...BYOB

by Pawtuxet Updated Jun 3, 2008

Breanna's is a popular little local restaurant that serves authentic Italian food.. and they pride themselves on frequently preparing special requests. My son's in-laws own the building, so they go for dinner often and are treated with extra care and attention.
    You have the option to bring your own wine, and a family member makes his own red wine..that's what we enjoy when we go.
    On this visit I had crab cakes w/ roasted potatoes and some wonderful rabbi w/ garlic. Everyone seemed pleased with their choices.
    Prices are generally between $12 and $18 for an entre. Try their fried Calamari for an appetizer! yum. Fairly good variety of decadant deserts...and of course, cappucino.

My daughter-in-law & her parents enjoy dinner

• Bavavia's Profile Photo

A visit to my brother's house :): Excellent gourmet food!

by Bavavia Written Apr 26, 2008

My brother loves to cook and cooked us up a wonderful gourmet meal......it was so yummy. Each course was paired with the appropriate wine/champagne

Favorite Dish: Happy Hour Appetizer: Anitpasto with a variety of italian meats and cheeses, roasted red peppers in extra virgin oliver oil......
    First course was a pasta trilogy consisting of homemade gnocchi with a gorgonzola cheese herb sauce., along with fetticuine bolognese and a large shrimp, cheese herb stuffed ravoli with a blush sauce...
    Main course was pork tenderloin stuffed with spinach and a cheese and herbs topped with a balsamaic demi glaze...served with a twice baked potato and fresh asparagus...
    And finally, desert was homemade chocolate mouse with homemade whipped cream......
    we also enjoyed martinis, cosmopolitans, wine, champagne............. !

Happy Hour appetizer....... Serving wine with the main course on the table Preparing cheese sauce for pasta trilogy

New Jersey Hotels

8 Reviews - 11 Photos
Point Pleasant Beach Hotels
16 Reviews - 27 Photos

Instant Answers: New Jersey

Comments

New Jersey Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Jersey restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Jersey sightseeing.
Map of New Jersey