Places to eat in New Jersey

Pizza at The Ugly Mug
    by Donna_in_India

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Jersey

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

The Godfather Brick Oven & Seafood Bar and Grill: Excellent Meals and Nice Ambience

by Chinggis_n_Borte Updated Jan 24, 2015

The restaurant was amusingly named The Godfather Brick Oven and Seafood Bar and Grill.

It is difficult to choose just one category above, because they serve Italian food, Pizza, Seafood and more.

The ambience was lovely, and with Halloween decorations at each table, it being close to Halloween when we went.

The food was excellent.

Borte ordered a pork dish, and was asked by the waitress “what temperature would you like it?”
    We have honestly never been asked that question before. We do not know what temperature to cook pork or any meat at, as we never measure or look at the temperature, and not only that, in the USA, they use the Farenheit system. In Australia, we use Celsius and metric measurements. Imagine if we answered in Celsius? The waitress and chef would be puzzled.

Then the waitress rephrased her question and asked us the familiar “how would you like it done?”
    We were able to understand and answer that question.

That was just one of a few “language differences” we encountered. American English and Australian English have their own quirks, and own expressions, and are not always readily understood or “translatable”.

The meals were enormous. Too big in fact!

A link to their various menus (lunch, dinner,etc) is here:

This is their address:-

200 Route 10 West
    East Hanover, NJ 07936
    Phone: +1 973-887-4830 (Pizza Oven); + 1 973-503-9636 (Seafood Bar)
    Fax: 973-884-1766

• Mayzhou100's Profile Photo

. Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant: Eat with your hand

by Mayzhou100 Written Jun 30, 2013

Ethiopian food, Yes! You can find this authentic food in States. I ate mine in New Jersey for the first time in my life. Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant is a famous restaurant, recommended by many media such as New York Times and NJ Monthly. The unique experience is that you eat the food with your hand only, not with fork, knife or chopsticks. You will definitely suck your fingers because it tastes so good.

The restaurant looks nice. Ancient characters printed on lamps and decorations of Ethiopian costumes on the wall make it very different from other restaurants.

When I made my order, friend asked me to choose one entree and two side dishes. I thought it would be too much. But actually, the food we ordered was brought out in small dishes. We ordered TIBS WAT (spicy beef), Shrimp TIBS, INGUDAI TIBS (mushrooms), ATKILT ALETCHA (green bean and carrot), and KIK ALETCHA (yellow peas). The waitress poured them on top of big flat bread. The bread made by sourdough and looked very thin with many holes in it and tasted a little bit sour. The thin bread called “injera”. You can split it into small pieces and wrap/dip with your dishes for a mouthful bite. Extra injeras will be served if you need more.
    We finished almost the whole big bread and extra injeras. The juices from the dishes socked the bread and it absorbed the rich tastes to the maximum. So delicious!

Favorite Dish: I would recommend Shrimp Tibs. it is fresh and tender, taste good!

how to eat Ethiopian food:

• danasuzanne's Profile Photo

Barca Velha: BEST Portugese, AMAZING Food!

by danasuzanne Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is one of the best meals I've ever had. Fresh seafood is the speciality. Excellent wine list filled with delicious Portugese wines. The owner, Carlos is very knowledgleable & passionate about the food, presentation & wine list. A fine ambiance, atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Grilled and topped with sautéed jumbo lump crabmeat, cherry tomatoes and fresh dill in a Muscatel wine reduction.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Eclectic Cafe: Delicous coffee in a relaxed atmosphere

by kazander Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cafe Eclectic is a perfect little coffehouse with a "shabby chic" decor. They have loosely themed the restaurant along the lines of a medieval castle, but not so much that it is obtrusive. The smoking section is the place to sit. Even if you don't smoke, you should try to deal with it because it is just so much better than non. The non smoking section is a little room with little wooden tables and chairs. Smoking however, is a large open space with good ventilation and best of all tons of couches and chairs in a vintage,"grandma's basement" sort of style. UPDATE! ALL NJ resturants are now non-smoking, so you can relax in the comfy room without enduring second hand smoke!

I included their website but the pictures on it really don't do it justice.

Favorite Dish: They have great food, as well as great coffee. My favorite is the Chicken and Brie wrap with pistachios and cranberries. I always get the mocha infusion, it's the one that has the white chocolate/raspberry flavor .
    11/05 I just recently returned to Cafe Eclectic, and I am sad to say that the food has gone downhill. My wrap was not nearly as tasty as it used to be, and they replaced the side salad with a macaroni salad. Yick. I missed the leafy greens. The cofee was still excellent, so you might just want to pop in for a drink instead of lunch. Next time I visit Montclair, I want to check out the Sangria resturant just a little bit down the block. I'll post a tip after I check it out!

Cafe Eclectic

• kazander's Profile Photo

La Scalla: Authentic Italian

by kazander Updated Apr 4, 2011

La Scalla. A wonderful resturant in Hoboken, just across the river from NYC. We have been going here for ages...Louis and my 2nd date was here:) We know the owners, Francesco and Carlo, who is also the Chef. Louis actually took all the pictures for their website.
    The food is fabulous, authentic Italian Cuisine. The ambiance is perfect, small dim romantic little place. they often hold opera nights, so you can listen while you dine.
    There is no bar it is BYOB, but there is a liquor store across the street. I believe they will even deliver to the restaurant if you forget:)

Favorite Dish: Banana Nutella Crepes for desert! No contest, hands down ,Best Dessert Ever (Next to my Mom's Chocolate cheesecake)

11/05 Sadly La Scalla has closed it's doors and can longer serve you it's delicious dishes. I'm keeping the tip up just for me:)

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Montesini Pizza Ristorante: Pizza anyone?

by b1bob Updated Apr 4, 2011

Montesini Pizza Ristorante is located at Larchmont Commons Shopping Centre in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. It has all kinds of pizzas on the menu as well as stromboli and other Italian favourites.

Favorite Dish: My boss and I split a pizza with pepperoni and green peppers. What really stood out is that the tomato sauce they used was fresh as opposed to the tomato paste used at national chains like Pizza Hut or regional ones like Fazzoli's. Our only complaint is that anchovies were not offered up as a topping here. I rarely get a chance to enjoy the salty fish on my pizza because many of my friends won't touch them with a 10-foot (3 m.) pole. My boss has a similar problem. The only time each of us get to enjoy anchovy pizzas is on business trips like this. The green peppers together with the fresher tomato sauce made this pizzas and the restaurant worth a stop in.

Montesini Pizza Ristorante

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Uno Chicago Grille: Great Food in Maple Shade

by Basaic Written Nov 18, 2010

This grille had a nice appearance inside and out. Inside was dark colors and dark wood, and it looked very trendy. The menu was a small problem for me, it was so varied and had so many items that sounded good it took me a while to decide. I finally opted for a Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo which I requested they make "spicy". The food was very well presented and was tasy. I would have liked a larger portion; but it was very, very good. My waitress was friendly, professional and efficient. As we talked, I found Kendra and I had a lot in common. We both love to travel (I suggested she join VT) and both absolutely love movies. It is slightly more expensive than many places but it was worth it. I highly recommend this place!
    They serve beer and wine.

Favorite Dish: The Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo was superb. I asked for "spicy" and they seasoned it just right.

Uno Chicago Grille
    • Wine Tasting

• Florida999's Profile Photo

Chun Bo Chinese and Japanese Restaurant: Great Chinese food !

by Florida999 Written Aug 2, 2010

I didn't expect such a wonderful Chinese restaurant in the far western corner of New Jersey, but we went there with our friends for New Years ( American, not Chinese) and it was great. We all loved the food, and I thought the place looked very nice also.

Favorite Dish: Dumplings, Orange Chicken

Chinese Restaurant

Chicken Holiday: Yummy Chicken

by Cielo_Algaeed Written Aug 23, 2009

The owner of this Chicken Hoilday branch is a former collegue of my mom in Dunkin Donuts and so we paid a visit to try their food.

The food are all good and very reasonable price.

Additional info:
    Monday – Saturday 11am – 10pm
    Sunday 11am – 9pm

Favorite Dish: Mac and Cheese, Macaroni Salad, Rolls & Mashed Potato

Carabbas: Italian Grill

by Cielo_Algaeed Written Aug 23, 2009

We had the staple Italian food. Selection of breads, Salad and Pasta. The food are all ok and the service is really nice.

Carabbas has several branches in New Jersey but the one we tried is located in East Brunswick NJ

Makkoli Seafood Buffet: Don't Miss The Maki

by Cielo_Algaeed Written Aug 23, 2009

We celebrated our Christmas day here at Makkoli. We tried their lunch buffet. The food were all ok though nothing superb! I lvoe thier California Maki though..Lots of sushi and teppanyaki to choose from. They also have squid, chicken terriyaki,soup and differetn kinds of desserts.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Irving's---known for their servings....enormous!: Looking for a great Jewish Deli??

by Pawtuxet Written Aug 3, 2008

We had the best pastromi on rye sandwiches in Jersey. Irving's is a New York Jewish Deli that prides themselves on their fabulous pastromi...big servings....excellent half sour pickles....well, and everything else.
    They give you pickles automatically when you are seated. There are half sours, some very sour, and some pickled tomatoes. Then comes a dish of cole slaw. Service was quick and in no time we were enjoying a great pastromi sandwich on rye, with mustard that had just enough zest. My son and his wife shared a Rueben...plenty for two people. You could buy their meat by the pound which would be great for a party. The place reminded me of some place I've been in when visiting Manhattan. They do a great job. I don't remember if they are totally kosher, but they probably are.
    Soooo good.

Favorite Dish: Half sandwich of pastromi on rye w/ mustard. That means half the meat but a full sandwich. Yet there was enough meat there for two normal sized sandwiches. yum

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Breanna's: Good Italian...BYOB

by Pawtuxet Updated Jun 3, 2008

Breanna's is a popular little local restaurant that serves authentic Italian food.. and they pride themselves on frequently preparing special requests. My son's in-laws own the building, so they go for dinner often and are treated with extra care and attention.
    You have the option to bring your own wine, and a family member makes his own red wine..that's what we enjoy when we go.
    On this visit I had crab cakes w/ roasted potatoes and some wonderful rabbi w/ garlic. Everyone seemed pleased with their choices.
    Prices are generally between $12 and $18 for an entre. Try their fried Calamari for an appetizer! yum. Fairly good variety of decadant deserts...and of course, cappucino.

My daughter-in-law & her parents enjoy dinner

• Bavavia's Profile Photo

A visit to my brother's house :): Excellent gourmet food!

by Bavavia Written Apr 26, 2008

My brother loves to cook and cooked us up a wonderful gourmet was so yummy. Each course was paired with the appropriate wine/champagne

Favorite Dish: Happy Hour Appetizer: Anitpasto with a variety of italian meats and cheeses, roasted red peppers in extra virgin oliver oil......
    First course was a pasta trilogy consisting of homemade gnocchi with a gorgonzola cheese herb sauce., along with fetticuine bolognese and a large shrimp, cheese herb stuffed ravoli with a blush sauce...
    Main course was pork tenderloin stuffed with spinach and a cheese and herbs topped with a balsamaic demi glaze...served with a twice baked potato and fresh asparagus...
    And finally, desert was homemade chocolate mouse with homemade whipped cream......
    we also enjoyed martinis, cosmopolitans, wine, champagne............. !

Happy Hour appetizer....... Serving wine with the main course on the table Preparing cheese sauce for pasta trilogy

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

The Belmont Tavern: Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover!

by nicolettart Updated Apr 10, 2008

You would probably drive past the unassuming facade of this local bar/restaurant. But guess what? It's Newark's best-kept secret, and locals have been coming here for years.

Experience real New Jersey here!

Favorite Dish: Best known for its Chicken Savoy, the Belmont also serves the best Shrimp Francese. Personally I think ordering the pork is a mistake. Get the Mad Chicken if you don't fancy the vinegar of the Chicken Savoy.

Tips on How to Order:

~Be prepared, do not act hesitant. Do not ask unecessary questions, like, "What does it come with?"
    ~Do not drop your fork. it's the only one you get.
    ~Don't even think to ask for dessert, there isn't any.

That being said, it's a great Jersey-type place (if there is such a thing). Red-checked vinyl tablecloth, photos of the owners with famous celebrities who dined there, you get the picture. Who cares about the decor when the food is so good? The place is jumpin' on the weekends, so may expect to wait at the bar, depending on the hour.

Liquor License: yes

Cherry Hill Hotels
17 Reviews - 33 Photos

Instant Answers: New Jersey

New Jersey Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Jersey restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Jersey sightseeing.
Map of New Jersey