Statue of Liberty National Monument Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Statue of Liberty National Monument

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Statue Of Liberty

by Yaqui Updated Sep 14, 2013

Being an American I can not tell you enough the pride I felt to finally see her in person. My sister was excited because we got a time pass to go upon the platform at the slotted time to walk near her feet. We didn't because of the time constraints, but just seeing her from below was awe inspiring, impressive, prideful, joyful, and so many more emotions that I can keep going on about. I was never an immigrant, but damn sure can relate by finally seeing her and what she presents to us Americans and those past and future Americans to come. I can see the twinkle in everyone’s eye as they took pictures and just stood there staring up at her all inspiring. Simply a sight that all should see!

She was a gift to us from the Parisians in 1880, but she did not become a permanent fixture until Oct 28, 1886. She was declared a National Monument in 1924. Restored in 1986 and has been our "Gem" of the harbor ever since she has set her precious copper feet in United States soil!

From Torch to ground she stands 305 feet. 1in. Just her own height is 151 ft. 1 in. She is covered with a copper skin that has a web of steel bars to give her strength.

Security is a must here, so be prepared. It is as tight as if you’re going into an air terminal before you board the fairies to go to Liberty Island and/or Ellis Island. She is one of our national treasures and we must protect her, so don't take offense if you have to follow security procedures.They have security checks again before you are allowed to enter onto her platform too.

She is open daily except Christmas Dec 25. The only access is via a ferry which you can board in Battery Park at the Castle Clinton National Monument. The ferries leave for Liberty Island, then Ellis Island and return to Battery Park. From New Jersey you board exit from the NJ turnpike exit 14B. Purchase tickets from the rail road building at the north end of the park.

Be sure to check out: www.circlelineferry.com for schedules

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Statue of Liberty Pedestal

by Yaqui Updated Sep 14, 2013

Sadly, when we were here things were still raw due to 9/11, so we didn’t get a chance to go in unless we reserved a time to enter the pedestal. Time was a constraint for us because we had to still tour the Ellis Island and get back to Battery Park, catch the subway back to Broadway to get back to our bus.

Now you have access to pedestal, which is where the Lobby, Promenade, Museum, Fort Wood and the 10th Floor Pedestal Observation Level ( Make sure you have "Monument Access" must be printed on your ferry ticket) This is from the NPS site: “Inside the lobby visitors can experience the original torch, the Statue of Liberty Exhibit, then proceed to the promenade area for an up close view of the statue and a spectacular view of New York Harbor. Visitors can browse around the 11-point star-shaped Fort Wood and take an elevator to the ten-story pedestal observatory. People can get a full circle view of the harbor and a close-up view of Lady Liberty.” So please take advantage of this. I know we are planning to come here again because I want my boys to see this.

• National/State Park

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Ellis Island

by frankcanfly Written Sep 1, 2004

Combined with your ferry trip, you'll stop at Ellis Island. Don't just stay on the boat, get off and explore the museum. Admire the historic photographs. Remember that this is where several million European immigrants first stepped on American soil. Maybe YOUR descendants.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

The New Colossus

by nicolettart Updated Jul 31, 2003

Lady Liberty

This is the title of the famous poem by Emma Lazarus, which is graven on a tablet within the pedestal on which the statue stands:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she With silent lips.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

"Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

• National/State Park
    • Museum Visits

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Lady Liberty

by frankcanfly Written Sep 1, 2004

Take the boat to see her. If you a visitor to New York, you won't feel like you've been here until you see her.

Instant Answers: Statue of Liberty National Monument

Comments

Statue of Liberty National Monument Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Statue of Liberty National Monument things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Statue of Liberty National Monument sightseeing.

View all Statue of Liberty National Monument hotels