Safety Tips in New Jersey

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in New Jersey

Bears while hiking/mountain biking

by blueskyjohn Written Feb 16, 2013

Bears are becoming more common these days on the trails. They really do not pose much danger here. If you encounter one in the summer or fall, they're more worried about finding food and your not on their menu. The one in the photos was sitting on a trail as I crested a small hill. I wasn't more than 20 feet from it when we saw each other. The Bear ran off. I was hiking alone so pretty quiet. The only danger may be in the spring as mother bear are partial to protecting their young if cornered, but they usually just run off.

If you encounter one, make a lot of noise, wave your arms and they will just run off.

• Mountain Climbing

Snakes! They're everywhere!

by blueskyjohn Updated Feb 8, 2013

Only kidding with the title. But on a recent hike over the summer, I crossed paths with several varieties in the same day! The snakes in the photos here may look the same but they're not. The first two photos are a Black Rat Snake. The next three are of a Black Racer Snake. Neither one is venomous and really harmless but are common on the trails of New Jersey and if you are not use to them, could scare the bejesus out of you. Saw them all on the same day in Bearfort Mountain but I have seen them on every trail I have hiked in NJ at one time or another.

You can tell the difference by their actions. The Black Rat snake will just slowly slither away. I actually had one slither across my feet while I was belaying someone rock climbing! The Black Race will do just that. Speed off fast and you will barely have a chance to see it.

Usually found laying across the trail sunning or on exposed rocks. Just step over them and keep going or admire from a distance as to not disturb them.

Rattlesnake!

by blueskyjohn Written Feb 8, 2013

Well, New Jersey does have some worthwhile hiking, at least if you live locally. Hardly a destination solely for this purpose. But if do find yourself on a trail in the Garden State, there is a rare (fortunate in my opinion) chance of coming across a rattlesnake. I came across the one in the photos while hiking in Bearfort Mountain area in Hewitt, New Jersey (near Greenwood Lake). This is a Timber Rattlesnake. Listed as an endangered species in several states, including New Jersey.

The old saying "they're more afraid of you than you should be of them" is true. They will startle you on the trail but may not even rattle unless you get too close and they are coiled up. I've come across them just laying across the trail, sunning. They just slither away. Don't mess with them and needless to say, don't try and pick them up, whether by hand or by stick. Just walk around them give a wide berth of at least 6 - 8 feet.

• dancergirl's Profile Photo

Scary Rollercoaster at Great Adventure

by dancergirl Written Aug 21, 2011

If you are a child under 9 years old, and even if you are tall enough to ride El Toro like me, don't do it!! There are nicer rides than this one. One I suggest is the runaway train, which is a small rollercoaster. My favorites are the log flume and congo rapids. Have fun at Great Adventure!

• Theme Park Trips

• Andreja86's Profile Photo

Expensive highways

by Andreja86 Written Jun 25, 2011

When I was driving around New Jersey there was a lot of pay stations where you'd have to pay to drive on the Interstates or Highways. It wasn't more than a couple of dollars but I think that we had to pay between 3 and 5 times.

If you get of the plane in Newark and do not have any change it could might cause a problem.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Warnings of the Tolls

by msbrandysue Written Mar 15, 2010

Living in Texas, I pay tolls on roads that by-pass the big ones, for convenience. However, up north you have to pay them to drive on the regular interstates? What is that??

In New Jersey I paid $8 as soon as I got into the state, then the GPS told me to take the Jersey Turnpike, which is really I-95. So, I got my little ticket that shows the entrance point and when I got off the Turnpike I owed $10. Yes, $10 to take an INTERSTATE. That's crap. I got mad love for all my fellow travellers in New Jersey, but that's ridiculous.

• April1985's Profile Photo

Lube Yourself !

by April1985 Written Sep 4, 2008

Well, Lube yourself sounds wrong.. but it made you curious didn't it ? Please , please listen to me when I tell you that New Jersey is not what New Jersey used to be ... The sun is hotter and more dangerous than ever before . Take my word for it . I have Armenian olive skin . I never thought I would burn . I am used to going out on the beach and putting dark tanning oil on ( with ZERO SPF ! ) well ... not this summer ... this summer after my accident I hid from the sun ... I layed out for 5 hours on the beach and wondered why the cold outdoor shower felt so good, and why did I feel like I was sweating so much ? Well .. I couldn't lay on my front side for 2 weeks , had to visit a doctor , turns out i had second degree burns on my face and body .. how could I melt away my skin like that ? When I tell you I killed an Aloe plant ( and the aloe plant HURT SO BAD ... believe me ... it was horrible ... so enjoy my pictures because they tell a story , and very painful story ... please use sunscreen ( I now use spf 50 )

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

THE TOLLS!

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 5, 2007

When traveling in New Jersey, make sure you have lots of coins!

The Garden State Parkway, which is a main artery, requires $.25 and $.35 tolls. Most of the time there will be at least one toll booth that has an attendant who will give you change if necessary--it is indicated by a non-blinking green light.

Toll booths requiring the correct change have blinking green lights. However, there are toll booths on exits that are not manned where you need the exact change. Welcome to New Jersey!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

THE JUG HANDLES

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 5, 2007

The hardest thing to get used to after moving to New Jersey, was the infamous jug handle. For those of you who are unacquainted with this highway feature--it is used when you are not permitted to make a left turn. In order to do so, you must find a place indicated for making U-Turns and veer off to the right. The turn loops around so that you are then in a position to go left. CRAZY!!

Don't worry, though, not all roads prohibit left turns. Just be prepared when you see a sign indicating that this is the case.

• xdescendx's Profile Photo

Driving

by xdescendx Written Nov 15, 2005

Please be careful when driving in NJ. It is full of perople who have nothing better to do than drive around in huge SUV's like maniacs. Use defensive driving here. Also, if you plan on driving the Garden State Parkway...... bring alot of change. Be safe...buckle up!!

• deer

by MandaJ320 Written Feb 15, 2005

because New Jersey is so urbanized, the wildlife has been crowded into really small places. they just have nowhere else to go. and the deer population in New Jersey is huge. you seem them everywhere, all the time. and they run out in front of you in the road at night.... so be careful... this has happened to me several times!!!!

• Traffic Patterns are crazy!!!

by MandaJ320 Written Oct 26, 2004

Perhaps it's just because so many people have populated the area for so long that the roads weren't planned far enough in advance, but I've noticed that there are too many places where lanes end suddenly without warning, or where merging into traffic is necessary but next to impossible to do (like on Route 22). Also, the drivers here are a bit more agressive and impatient than anywhere else that I've seen. They'll pass you in a second if you're in their way!!!!

• Be careful

by dzni Written Sep 6, 2004

I'm not sure about its validity, but cities like Camden, Trenton, and Newark (and area) seem to have a reputation for being rough areas in terms of crime. Decide for yourself, but I'd be cautious about these three cities in particular.

• kazander's Profile Photo

those crazy NJ drivers!

by kazander Updated May 20, 2004

Apparently we drive like maniacs in New Jersey:) Of course we all complain about the New York drivers but then again one always has to blame someone.... Growing up here and learning to drive here I guess for me it is the norm, but if you're not from the area be careful for those who don't know how to use their blinkers (not me I assure you) exits that come from out of nowhere and if you're on the Parkway those pesky tolls. We go fast and some are a tad reckless so practice those defensive driving skills!

• Where not to go

by Vagrant22 Written Apr 3, 2004

when you are traveling to nyc and on the turnpike dont get of at jersey city or newark or paterson these areas are known for high crime . If you need to visit liberty state park in jersey city stay in the park if you wander out of the park u will be face to face with one of the worst slums in nj you will notice your there when u see all the abandoned factories and crackhouses and be carefull at the light rail its not all that safe

• Museum Visits

15 Reviews - 24 Photos
Freehold Hotels
48 Reviews - 57 Photos

Instant Answers: New Jersey

Comments

New Jersey Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of New Jersey warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Jersey sightseeing.
Map of New Jersey