Alamogordo Restaurants

Chilli Relleno Plate
    Tia Lupes

Most Recent Restaurants in Alamogordo

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Tia Lupes: A great local find!

by toonsarah Updated Jan 23, 2012

Tia Lupes

When we arrived in town, one reason for our choice of the Alamo Inn was the proximity of a couple of possible eating places within a block or so. We had planned to try Si Senor, just next door, but when I looked online after checking in I found a couple of poor reviews on Trip Advisor – and a couple of very good ones for a place a couple of blocks away, Tia Lupes. So we walked down there (yes, walked – we’re odd, or so the drivers in the US seem to think when we walk a few blocks along a busy road rather than get out the car to drive so short a distance!)

The reviews had said that Tia Lupes had no liquor license, so we were surprised on arrival to see beers and wines in display. Our waiter proudly explained that they had got their license just a few weeks before, so we promptly ordered two beers, only to be asked for ID. This had happened to us earlier in the trip, in Albuquerque, so we had been carefully carrying our passports each evening when going out to eat or drink, but with no license at Tia Lupes, as we had thought, we hadn’t bothered that evening. Luckily the owner here was more flexible than in the Flying Star and a quick check with her got the waiter the permission needed to serve us our beers.

Favorite Dish: Drinks sorted, we turned to the food. From a long menu I chose the “Chilli Relleno Plate” – green chillies stuffed with cheese and served with a corn tortilla, rice, beans and a choice of green or red chilli sauce. I chose the latter, which the menu warned was “HOT”. The waiter offered to bring it on the side, to which I agreed, but although pretty hot it was fine for someone used to Indian food in the UK, so I tipped it on! I found the chillies a little over-cooked but the rice and beans were among the best I’d had on the trip. Chris had a good chicken chimichanga, which also came with rice and beans and some of the hot red sauce.

We wouldn’t normally have dessert after a meal like that, but we were persuaded by the friendly owner to try that evening’s special, “sopapilla swirl”. So we shared one and it was very good, though filling – a plate of small sopapillas (the traditional puffed up breads) served with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream (almost like a New Mexican version of profiteroles).

Our bill for the two mains, two beers and the shared dessert was just $30 – very good value. Tia Lupes has won several awards locally and I can see why – it’s a good, simple family-run place producing decent food at good prices in a welcoming setting. What’s not to like?!

+++Next tip!+++

Chinex: Good Chinese Fast Food

by Basaic Written Feb 3, 2010

In the White Sands Mall you have the choice of three or four places to eat. The one I chose was a tiny place called Chinex. You order your food (I had two main dishes with a large mound of fried rice). The tables are in the mall so it's a nice place to sit and watch people walk by. The food was very good. Hours are 10 AM to 8 PM Monday through Saturday and 11 AM to 6 PM on Sunday.

Favorite Dish: Bourbon Chicken and Spicy Beef.

Pepper's Grill: Seafood, Steaks, and more

by Basaic Written Feb 2, 2010

Pepper's Grill

Pepper's Grill has seafood, steak, chicken, pasta, and more. A widely varied menu. The decor was wood tables and chairs and southwest style art on the walls. Service was very good.

Favorite Dish: I had the Seafood Newburg Pasta. The seafood was very good, the pasta average. Next time I will try the stuffed sole or some catfish. The Hawaiian Ham Steak sounded good too.

Golden Corral: Very Good Buffet

by Basaic Written May 16, 2009

Golden Corral

Golden Corral is an all you can eat buffet restaurant with American style food. They have a variety of meats, potatoes, vegetables, and desserts. The food was well prepared and the staff was efficient. It was within walking distance of the Motel 6.

Favorite Dish: I especially enjoyed the meatloaf and the baked fish. Don't miss their Banana Pudding!

• National/State Park

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

New China Buffet: Super Buffet at a Rock Bottom Price!

by Hopkid Written May 9, 2005

There seem to be Chinese buffets in every town. New China is one of those but they have quite an impressive assortment of dishes on their buffet. As with any buffet where food needs to be prepared somewhat ahead of time to keep up with the hungy masses, some dishes can tend to be a bit dried out from the heat lamps. But there are enough choices on offer where any diner can find something palatable. Staff is friendly and willing to serve and help.

Seafood, meats of all kinds, veggie dishes, dessert, and soft serve ice cream, all for one surprisingly low price: Dinner for under $9! They also have all kinds of items made in China in case you have a party to go to and no hostess gift.

All you can eat! What are you waiting for?! Certainly better than Golden Corral! Even my co-worker who loathes the typical Chinese buffet was impressed (I made him go... ; ) ).

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Peter Piper Pizza: Ignore the Piper's Call!

by Hopkid Written May 9, 2005

Peter Piper Pizza is kid pizza. I wouldn’t even classify it among decent family pizzas let alone gourmet pizzas. If you’re in town and are craving pizza, go anywhere but here. The staff are not very friendly or cheerful and go about their business like robots. My food tray was seriously greasy and downright gross. Even if you have kids I would not recommend this place. Try Gigi’s Pizza north of PPP on NM 54. I didn’t eat there but I wish I had as I passed it on the way back to my hotel.

Favorite Dish: It would be a clean one but that may be wishful thinking.

• Alfredos: More good mexican food

by Enchanted Written Oct 24, 2002

The building itself is rather dumpy and the service is average at times, but the food is really good and their prices are competitive.

Favorite Dish: I particularly like their avacado salad, chillie verde and their taco plate. Their carrot cake is the only desert I've tried in awhile, but that is wonderful.

• Golden Dragon: Chinese Buffet

by Enchanted Written Oct 24, 2002

If you like chinese but don't like high prices and having to order set groups of meals, I suggest going here. Their buffet is good, it's clean and courteous, and you can try a wide variety of foods and go back as often as you please, to get more of what you like.

Favorite Dish: Their Kung pow chicken, Hot and spicy chicken and pepper skeak is great. I also like the egg rolls won tons and sweet rolls. Too much variety to mention really.

• Casa de suenos: I love mexican food

by Enchanted Updated Oct 24, 2002

I love this place!! it's rather new (less than 6mo.s) but their experience in cooking is definately not! They've got a wide variety of different dishes with Adovado, Habenero, chillies and other wonderful flavors. Each comes first with chips and salsa. They also have several milder dishes for the "less experienced" haha. They use ground beef as well as stringed and boy do they feed you well. It's a wonderful little adobe "old mexico" ambiance filled place and very courteous service. DON'T forget to try their desert! but save room too, for the free sopapillas

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish (at the moment) is the smothered burrito with beans and their house rice. Be sure to check with them when ordering which chillie is hotter, it varies from day to day.
    My Favorite deserts are the fried ice cream and their White chocolate bread pudding!! Awesome!

Instant Answers: Alamogordo

Comments

Alamogordo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Alamogordo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alamogordo sightseeing.