Albuquerque Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Albuquerque

Charlie's Front Door: Traditional and Innovative New Mexican Food

by AlbuqRay Updated Mar 25, 2014

Front Door Is On North Side

Charlie's Front Door was a small restaurant that had been serving traditional New Mexican food and some way out chile entrees since 1966. Unfortunately it closed in January 2014. Its owner, Charlie Elias, passed away at age 81 about a month later. He will be missed.

Gil Garduno has an excellent review that describes many of both types of menu items. I also agree with him that their salsa was one of the best. The only down side was that it was a small, one-room restaurant and there was no convenient place to wait. Even once you got in, people might be standing by the front door watching and waiting for you to finish.

Favorite Dish: My favorite entree was the "Mark Special" for $7.25. I liked it because it was a combination plate with many of the traditional dishes, i.e., carnitas (fried pork and fried potatoes), fideos (pasta with tomato sauce), calavacitas (zucchini, onions, corn, green chile and cheese), quelites (spinach and beans), pinto beans, red or green chile, and two sopaipillas.

The "Sheepherder Special" for $6.75 was one of the non-traditional entrees. It had pastrami and green chile slices on a homemade tortilla with a side of posole.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

See the List: What is the best New Mexican Food Restaurant?

by AlbuqRay Updated Mar 25, 2014

Wecks

First of all, notice this tip addresses New Mexican food. Mexican and Tex-Mex food are different. A New Mexican food restaurant will have green and red chile with an "e," refried pinto beans, tortillas (corn and flour), chicken, pork and beef dishes with cheese and onions, and sopaipillas with honey. The more popular places in Albuquerque are
    - Padilla's Mexican Kitchen (Girard and Indian School)
    - Sadie's (3 locations)
    - Weck's (6 locations)
    - Los Cuates (Lomas and San Mateo)
    - La Salita (one block south of Constitution on Eubank)
    - El Pinto (10500 4th St. NW) great venue but inconsistent food quality
    Note that Tomasita's in Santa Fe (next to old railroad depot) or Gabriel's at Exit 176 on US-285 north of Santa Fe may be the best of all.

Favorite Dish: You cannot go wrong at any of these restaurants.

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Denny's: Good Chain Restaurant

by Basaic Updated Sep 18, 2013
    Denny's

$10 (20% off for Microtel guests) as of July 2013. This is a fairly typical Denny's located at a truck stop. The food was good and my waitress, Leonora, was great. Open 24 hours.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Slow Cooked Pot Roast.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Old Saloon: Old Icon in Old Town

by BruceDunning Written May 24, 2013

View of building

Not what you would expect for it being in business for so long. The burger I had was $12 and that cost a lot, even with fries. An 8 ounce steak is $25 and prices go up from there. The rest of the menu items are$22-$42 range. They do have a variety of menu selections

Favorite Dish: Since I had the burger, it must be that, but it was mediocre at best

• Tallchick80's Profile Photo

Sadies: Best Mexican Food, EVER.

by Tallchick80 Written Mar 7, 2013

I cannot put into words how very much I love this restaurant. I am salivating just thinking about it. I absolutely love every dish I have ever eaten from here, and their margaritas are to die for, especially the Silver Dollar - one of those is enough to put me under the table. The atmosphere is great, the wait staff is always very friendly, and I really enjoy this place. I always eat here when I am in ABQ. Luckily. I can buy the salsa at my local grocery store, but I still have to travel south to get my Sadies fix whenever I can.

Favorite Dish: Enchiladas and Burrito.

Frontier Restaurant: One of the Classic Restaurants in Albuquerque

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 26, 2013

Frontier from the UNM Bookstore

The Frontier has been known for its breakfasts, Mexican food, reasonable prices and quick service since 1971. Gil Garduno recommends the green chile stew in his review of the Frontier but it is too spicy for me. Since it is across the street from the University of New Mexico Bookstore, it is a student hangout; however, you might see anyone there. It is very popular. Even if there is a long line, don't worry. It moves fast. The Frontier is open 24 and 7, except for 5 days a year.

Favorite Dish: Don't miss the breakfast burritos, cinnamon rolls, carne adovada, soft tacos and fresh squeezed orange juice.

Lucky Boy: Good Food and Great Prices

by AlbuqRay Updated Nov 6, 2012

Lucky Boy

Lucky Boy is a combo Chinese restaurant and hamburger joint. It is a friendly place that has a long tradition and excellent reviews. Lucky Boy has tasty food at some of the lowest prices you can find. The combination plates (e.g. sweet and sour pork or chicken with an egg roll and fried rice) used to be just $3.30, but they skyrocketed to $3.40 in 2012! An egg fu young burger with an order of onion cakes is $4.75 including tax. BTW, you have not lived until you have had a Lucky Boy egg fu young burger! The green chile cheese burgers are good also. You order and pick up your food at the counter.

ChopstiX: Jackie Chan's Favorite Albuquerque Restaurant

by AlbuqRay Updated Oct 29, 2012
    Add and View of Inside

ChopstiX took the location of Taeja's and always has had good, authentic, northern Chinese food. Their lunch specials are very good value ($5.75 - $5.95), so it is very busy for lunch. My favorite server, Add, worked there full time until her son was born and now just part time. She happens to be Thai but nevermind. She does a great job and is super friendly while doing it. I have known her since 2001 at the Hawaiian Cafe and she was at Thai Orchid for many years. Wen owns ChopstiX and also cooks.

A way to miss most of the crowds is to go in the evening. The prices are a little higher but they still reasonable, and the place is not so busy. They do a brisk carryout business, even in the evening. Gil Garduno also gives ChopstiX a good review. BTW, you can never tell who will sit next to you at ChopstiX (scroll down a bit in this blog).

Favorite Dish: One favorite dish is the Twice Cooked Pork ($7.95 on the dinner menu and $5.95 as a lunch special). It is made with red chile and is very different from most twice cooked pork dishes you find. My other favorite dish is the Pickled Kohlrabi with Pork and Chives ($7.95). I just have to fish out the roasted chili peppers or some bites are too spicy. Something you cannot miss is the Sesame Shaobing. You get two large pieces of this delicious "fire roasted" bread for $2.50. I also like the Ma Po Tofu with Ground Pork ($6.95) and the Mustard with Dried Bean Curd ($6.95). It's not on the regular menu, but the onion pancake ($3.50) is delicious.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Church Street Cafe: Old Town

by Roadquill Written Sep 18, 2012

Located on Church Street in Old Town, the Church Street Cafe was a nice, comfortable spot to stop after our early morning ballooning. The restaurant is deceptively large, with several rooms. The food was delicious and the waiter friendly and helpful. I enjoyed a locally made Monk's Beer. They also serve espresso drinks.

• Photography

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Sadie's of New Mexico: An Albuquerque institution

by Roadquill Updated Sep 18, 2012

There is a difference between a New Mexican and a Mexican restaurant. And New Mexican's go to great lengths to let us know that. Sadie's of New Mexico is no longer at the original location and now there are at least three. We enjoyed lunch at Sadie's in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque on Fourth Street, primarily as it was reasonably close to the petroglyphs we wanted to see after lunch.

The place is in a reasonably new building, clean and comfortable. Numerous large TV screens allowed you to follow the sporting event of the hour. The food was very good, and the portions huge...I mean huge. My huevos rancheros with potatoes in a poblano chili sauce, with some abode pork on top for good measure would feed a soccer team. I was also able to get a local beer.
    The service took a little long...

• Photography

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Holy Cow Burgers: Avoid this one

by HispanicYob Written Aug 1, 2012

This place is a burger haven. Different types to choose from. I didn't like it only because of the service. The two times I went here were lousy when it came to that. The first I was greatful we were served. Went after the lunch hour rush and the food was good. The entrees are seperate so if you want something like fries with your meal you'll order those seperate. The second time I went about 12:30 PM and it was busy. I found me a table in the corner and waited. I waited close to 20 minutes before someone finally found me and asked if I had been helped. I said no. I got some water and waited 5 more minutes before I left disgusted. Everyone around me was eating or had their order placed. I can't help but feel overlooked. So I wouldn't waste your money here. They won't get no accolades for their service and average food.

• Singles

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Sushi Hana!: Sake...BOMB!!

by HispanicYob Written Jun 22, 2012

All full, and time to go!

This is a pretty chill little place on the corner of 6th and Central. I've come here with buddies to chow down on the awesome Bento Boxes and unique rolls that are offered. Only in New Mexico can you find a green chile sushi roll! Not my favorite one but it might be yours! The service can sometimes be a bit slow, so that knocked off a star. But the food is great! Again, the service can be a bit slow, which can be a turn off for any restaurant goer, especially when you wanna leave in a hurry. That's something that needs to be worked on.

Favorite Dish: The bento boxes, which are Japanese lunch boxes, include an assortment of stuff to get you full. The entree (beef, chicken, yakisoba), miso soup, seaweed salad, tempura, 4 California Rolls and rice top this off for a full stomach! Of course, you can opt for just sushi, among which the rolls are the Alaska, Monkeyball and the New Mexico Roll.

• Singles

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

Thai Tip: Hot, really hot Thai food

by lisa85202 Written Mar 9, 2012

A great little Thai restaurant. A small place, only 11 tables inside, so if you visit for lunch come early- or you might have to wait for a table.

If you are a vegetarian, they have a lot of options, and they are very good about double checking what you can/can't have on your food, for example, they ask if they should hold the oyster sauce, or egg from the dishes when you say 'no meat' or 'vegetarian'.

Keep in mind, there levels of spicy hot are several levels HOTTER than the standard request. I can typically eat very hot food...but I request mild-medium spice when I eat here. When you request hot, they ask "Thai hot? or NM hot?"- Be forewarned,...Thai hot is practically unbearable...but delicious!

The prices are a little on the high end for lunch... just over $10 for a fried rice meal, but the portions are very large.

Favorite Dish: The mango over sweet rice (dessert)- WONDERFUL!
    Thai tip famous fried rice is one of my favorite dishes...one of these days I need to try something else! The fried rice is twice as good left over the next day.

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

The Owl Cafe: 50's Diner- The Owl Cafe

by lisa85202 Updated Mar 9, 2012

Local Landmark

This restaurant has been a landmark in Albuquerque for as long as I have lived here~ and it's taken me a long time to make my first visit. We took the family to eat dinner here. It is like a 50's diner, burgers, fries, and milkshakes-with Route 66 and Owl Cafe memorabilia for sale. The service was very good- we had a very wonderful, friendly waitress who took good care of us.

Each table has a little juke box and you can pick songs to play from your booth- that was a nice touch. and...I did enjoy the little coat rack at each booth to hang your jacket.

Good place to take the kids.

Favorite Dish: Green Chile Cheeseburger is what they are famous for- it was good....but not quite my favorite in Albuquerque. (There are a lot of places with green chile cheeseburgers to choose from in Albuquerque!). The hamburger patties were handmade.

The kids enjoyed their glass bottle root beer and creme soda. They also serve beer and wine.

Keep in mind, the chili cheese dogs have a little New Mexico red chile in the sauce...my son was a bit surprised that the chili was a little different from the typical chili cheese dog..

Lindy's Diner: Downtown Fixture for 77 Years

by AlbuqRay Updated Mar 1, 2012

Lindy

A recent renovation really helped what may be Albuquerque's longest-running restaurant, Lindy's, which first opened in 1929. It is a historic Route 66 diner diagonally across from the Kimo Theater at 5th and Central, serving breakfast, burgers, Mexican and Greek food. It now also has Seattle's Best coffee products and free wi-fi internet. The Roadfood writeup is a little out of date (prices are now higher) but otherwise is a good review. Gil Garduno also has a review on Lindy's. Breakfast at Lindy's is at least as good as that at the better-known Frontier Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The Cowboy Breakfast for $6.95 has a crisp chicken fried steak smothered in green chile and cheese with two eggs, hashbrowns, pinto beans and toast or tortilla. You better be hungry if you order this "entree."

Instant Answers: Albuquerque

Comments

Albuquerque Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Albuquerque restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Albuquerque sightseeing.