Columbus Travel Guide

Columbus Historical Museum
    Old Caboose

Columbus Things to Do

by Basaic Written Apr 8, 2009

One of the main reasons for visiting the town of Columbus is the Pancho Villa State Park. Pancho Villa State Park commemorates the raid conducted by soldiers belonging to Pancho Villa on the tiny hamlet of Columbus on 9 March 1916. This is the last time an enemy army operated on US Soil. The park is located on the grounds of former Camp Furlong from where Gen. John J. “Black Jack” Pershing launched 10,000 troops on an 11-months, 500-mile pursuit of Villa into Mexico. The Exhibit Hall tells the story that begins with the 1910 Mexican Revolution and ends with Pershing’s command of the Allied Forces when the U.S. entered World War I. The main building remaining on the grounds is the 1902 US Custom's House, and the former Recreation Hall. There are also the remains of two adobe buildings and a few other remains. Several of these are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum itslef, located in the Visitors Center, is very well done and worth the visit.

Museum in the Visitors Center Botanical Garden Remains of the Headquarters Building Visitors Center Custom House
    • National/State Park

by Basaic Written Apr 8, 2009

The last room in the museum is the Period Room which is filled with antiques from the late 1800s and the early 1900s.

Period Room Period Room Period Room Period Room

by Basaic Written Apr 8, 2009

The railroad was very important to the settling of the area so there is a room dedicated to the railraod and railroad memorabilia in the museum too. There are also railroad items, to include a caboose they are restoring, located outside the museum.

Railroad Room Railroad Room Caboose

Columbus Favorites

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

by caffeine_induced78 Updated Jan 26, 2004

Favorite thing: I like the big cities, I like the small towns. I like the places that make people say - "Why did you go there? What the hell is there?" I found out my Grandma and Grandpa had been there after I was telling them about it. It was a very memorable place for me. Especially when I woke up the motel manager up at 9 at night and found he was an elderly hispanic man in his tank top and tighty whities. I had to come into his living room and yell at the top of my lungs because he was so hard of hearing. Great place is this Columbus. I actually went way out of my way to get there.

Fondest memory: being the only tourist under 50 years old in the whole town. The feeling of anticipation as I was about to leave the Country for the first time since I was 2 - and I don't remember that. Oh yeah - except for the time Canada would not let me in. I must have been too much of a capitalist - or a smartass for Canada.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Columbus

Comments

Columbus Travel Guide
Map of Columbus