Grants Travel Guide

Grants sunset
    by toonsarah

Grants Things to Do

• El Malpais: La Ventana Arch

This sandstone arch is very accessible (just a short walk along a gently climbing trail) and is a very impressive sight, although having seen the arches in Arches National Park some years ago we were a little disappointed that it wasn’t possible to get to a position where this arch can be seen silhouetted against the sky. Well, maybe it is...

• El Malpais: Lava Falls

El Malpais National Monument is divided into two sections, of which we only visited one – the one alongside Highway 117 more or less due south of Grants (the other lies to the west and is accessed via Highway 53). Entering the park from the south we weren’t able to stop off first at the Visitor Centre, so relied on the information in our Moon...

• El Malpais: Sandstone Bluffs Overlook

This was probably my favourite of the three stops we made in El Malpais. An easy drive on a gravel road (fine in a 2WD) leads you to a ridge of sandstone high above the lava flows. From here you have a magnificent view of the El Malpais lava flows below and the sweeping expanse of the landscape beyond. Standing here your feet are on 200-million...

Grants Hotels

Grants Restaurants

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Written Nov 7, 2011

As we were staying in the Best Western, and with only fast food chains in sight, we decided to give its own restaurant a try that evening. I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food here.

The décor isn’t bad for a hotel restaurant either, if not particularly imaginative: faded textiles, large booths around the edge, and lots of old Western paraphernalia attached to the walls. There were saddles, stirrups, rifles, but also assorted household items such as jugs and enamel bowls – the sort of stuff we’d been seeing piled high in so-called “antique” shops (aka junk no one else had a home for) but which worked well in this setting.

The service was friendly and the sole waiter coped well with a reasonably busy room. We were pleased to be shown to one of the booths even though there were just two of us, and he immediately offered to bring beers from the bar across the lobby if we wanted a larger selection than the few on the menu, which we did!

Favorite Dish: Chris decided to keep things simple and went for the traditional cheeseburger (he could also have had one served New Mexican style with green chilli). I chose the Pollo Santa Fe, a chicken breast covered with melted cheese and green chilli sauce, served with rice and beans, and in a fit of guilt at how unhealthily I had been eating, added a house salad. This latter came with a good blue cheese dressing (yes, I know I said healthy, but ...) and was a generous enough size for us to share. My chicken dish was delicious and I really enjoyed it. We paid $34 for the two mains, the salad, and a beer each, including tax and service.

We then decided on a night-cap in the sports-themed Rookies Bar which was very large and very empty – just us and the barmaid! It seemed that most of the people who’d been eating in the restaurant were staying in other nearby motels and had come over to eat here as it was probably the best choice in this rather uninspiring strip.

Chris in the restaurant Pollo Santa Fe - yummy!

Grants Warnings and Dangers

• by Irisrainbow Written Aug 24, 2002

Driving on the interstate highway can be hazardous do to the high speeds the other motorist are doing even though it is monitored heavily by the New Mexico State Police it doesn't seem to slow them down. The side roads you have to watch for drivers not using turn signals and sudden stops but just remember this is not the city .

Grants Off The Beaten Path

• El Malpais- El Calderon Area

El Calderon is an area just off of HIghway 53 as you enter El Malpais with several hiking trails to various caves. Currently all caves are closed for recreational use due to the risk of a fungus that is killing off bats. Junction cave is right next to the parking lot, this kids enjoyed taking a peek..

• Acoma Sky City

Acoma certainly merits a page of its own but as many people use Grants as a base for a visit to “Sky City”, I am also including a brief description here. In my opinion this is a must-see if you are anywhere in this part of New Mexico – and worth a detour even if you are not!Acoma Pueblo is built on top of a sheer-walled, 367-foot sandstone mesa in...

• Acoma Sky City just thirty...

Acoma Sky City just thirty minutes east of Grants just off I-40 south at exit 102 . The San Estevan Del Rey Mission which was built in 1629 by Franciscan missionaries and the first Europeans to see the Acomas. The Pueblo of Acoma claims to be the oldest settlement dating at about 1150 A.D. in North America .

Grants Favorites

• by Irisrainbow Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: If you golf the Coyote Del Malpais golf course has 18 holes and 16 lakes on this championship course . Fees $15.75 Carts $8.50 Open year round .

Fondest memory: Bluewater Lake state park is 25 miles west of Grants just off I-40 and a great place to spend a day or two . Theres camping,boating,water skiing,swimming and fishing . A great place for the entire family!

Instant Answers: Grants

Comments

Explore Deeper into Grants
Bandera Ice Caves