La Cueva is a small unincorporated town along New Mexico Highway 518 in North Central New Mexico. The town was established in 1851 by Vincente Romero. Of particular interest here is the La Cueva Historic District which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The district includes a general store, a church, and a grist mill and ranch house built by Romero.
The 1870's La Cueva Mill supplied flour to Fort Union, which guarded the Santa Fe Trail. The 470-acre, 5-building La Cueva Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Today, La Cueva is owned by the William Salman family, who run a raspberry farm on the property. Between August and October, visitors may buy fresh berries at the farm store or cool off with a raspberry sundae.