Puerto De Luna Travel Guide

The notice about Billy The kid
  • The church dating from 1882 restored 1921
    The church dating from 1882 restored...
    The church door

Puerto De Luna Things to Do

• Suet's Profile Photo

by Suet Updated Sep 22, 2009

You must remember Billy The Kid and The Hole In the Wall Gang. Well I think that part was about Sundance Kid and Paul Newman, but you get my drift. I came looking for the Wild West and found it. Talk about being off the beaten track. A small gathering of buildings, a church, a hot dry wind, dust, loneliness, an electricity meter clanking forlornly, it was all there.

I was standing under a verandah of the building next to the church, soaking up the atmosphere and day dreaming about a young desperado who turned to robbing trains and banks and killing, Sherrif Pat Garret who killed him. Billy was shot dead by Pat in 1881 a year before the church was built. I was immersed in lawlessness, escaping on horses followed by a posse, saloon bars, bar girls and gambling and drinking. I rather fancied myself as the respectable teacher of the town, but secretly in love with a bandit... dreams and childhood memories. Silver dollars, silver bullets and silver adornments on the horse's bridle. I almost expected the Lone Ranger, Silver and Tonto to turn up at any moment.

It's worth reading this account if you are interested: http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/billythekid.htm

I dropped into the local Senior Citizens club, mainly for a pee, but to ask the locals if they knew any stories or if anyone was related to Billy The Kid. Unfortunately, the next bingo session had just started, so I got the cold shoulder as they all buckled down to win the next prize. Sigh. Some people have no sense of history.

The notice about Billy The kid The church dating from 1882 restored 1921 The church door

Instant Answers: Puerto De Luna

Comments

Puerto De Luna Travel Guide
Map of Puerto De Luna