Places to eat in New Mexico

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Mexico

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

El Comedor de Anayas: "Watering Hole" for Politicians

by AlbuqRay Updated Feb 22, 2014

El Comedor de Anayas in Moriarty, NM, closed in 2013. It had been an Anaya family owned business for more than 60 years. El Comedor was reopened by its new owners, the Pack family of Willard, in Feb 2014. It is located on the north side of old US-66 at the east end of town. Look for the historical neon rotosphere that has been restored. In 1972 they built I-40 and although US-66 got a lot quieter, El Comedor did not. The Anaya and King families have long eaten there and it is considered a "must stop" for New Mexico's politicians. Many of the entrees are named after them.

It is not just a place for politicians. You may even see a real cowboy eating there (like we did...he even had spurs on). El Comedor has country cooking with a New Mexican slant. The food is pretty good and reasonably priced. It is also the home of the Xango, a fried cheesecake dessert with vanilla ice cream, cinnamon sugar and chocolate syrup.

Favorite Dish: Burrel's Choice is my favorite. It is two flat enchiladas (beef) with green chile sauce, a fried egg on top and a sopapilla on the side.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Osteria d'Assisi: Great Italian food in the American Southwest

by Beausoleil Written Jun 1, 2013

We ate here twice during our recent week in Santa Fe. The first time was Mother's Day and we were careful to reserve because we knew they'd be busy. We walked over from our resort so parking was not a problem. They were waiting for us and ushered us to a table by the front window with flowers and lace curtains. It was charming. We had visited the day before just to see where it was and there was an artist retouching the lovely murals on the inside walls.

Our waitress was a true gem. She was attentive, had a sense of humor and made sure we were well taken care of.

We ate at il piato later in the week and it was very good but not quite as good as the Osteria d'Assisi. We returned to the Osteria for our last-night celebration in Santa Fe. It was what we wanted to remember.

We're from California and love southwestern cooking but were very disappointed in Santa Fe on this trip. Everything southwestern was fiery hot and drowned in sauce. I've always loved sopaipillas and they've always come with the meal but we had trouble finding them on this trip. We finally decided we preferred Italian in Santa Fe and Osteria d'Assisi was absolute perfection. We ate outside on the patio on our second visit as the weather finally cooperated. Great food; great service.

Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: On our first visit, my husband got one of the trout dishes and I had the special du jour which was lamb osso buco. I saw one delivered to the table next to us and had to have it. It was gorgeous! When it arrived, it tasted every bit as good as it looked . . . and the man at the next table eating the same dish agreed.

On the second visit, we had eaten a rather large lunch so opted for a green salad and the veal ravioli with ice cream for dessert. Ended with a cup of the wonderful Italian espresso.

We were impressed with the food and the service.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Gabriel's: One of the Best Restaurants in New Mexico

by AlbuqRay Updated Oct 8, 2011

Gabriel's is located about 5 miles north of the Santa Fe Opera House on US-285. The closest exit is 176. It does not look like much from the outside but don't let this deceive you. It is actually a large, popular restaurant with both inside and patio dining. Gabriel's serves New Mexican and Mexican food. Both are excellent! If you pass this way, don't miss it! They are famous for their guacamole (avocado dip) made fresh at your table. It may make the best New Mexican food restaurant in the world, but there are other contenders like Tomasita's in Santa Fe and Padilla's in Albuquerque.

Favorite Dish: Start with the guacamole, feast on the carnitas and finish with the tres leches.

Jamocha Bean: Great Coffee in Cloudcroft

by Basaic Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Jamocha Bean serves cool smoothies, hot coffees, Breakfast and light foods and pastries. They have books on site so you can sit and relax for a while or get your items to go. Bring in your laptop and enjoy the free wireless internet.

Favorite Dish: I'm old-fashioned about my coffee. The regular coffee was great.

• Photography

• mesolo's Profile Photo

Joseph's Table: Go for Lunch!

by mesolo Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a small dimly-lit rather pricey restaurant located inside of the LaFonda Hotel off the Taos Plaza. Whenever I'm not sure about a restaurant I'll try it out for lunch first. That way I can check it out without emptying half my bank account first!

Favorite Dish: First of all, I would describe the food as contemporary Southwestern influenced by French, Italian and Asian cuisines. My first choice was duck fries, a nice alternative to regular fries. crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside. They come piping hot in a paper cone tucked inside a metal cup and served with two dipping sauces, a not too sweet and spicy chutney ketchup and a creamy aioli sauce. Definitely worth going to this restaurant for those alone!

In addition, I had a nice chicken sandwich on crusty French bread. No complaints here. However, in all honesty I overindulged on the duck fries so much I barely ate the sandwich. So I had it wrapped up in a doggy bag and promptly gave it to the first person I saw on the street that looked like he needed it more than me.

Taos seems to bring out the best in people.

• Business Travel

• mmcnie's Profile Photo

Chocolate Maven: Best Breakfast...Ever

by mmcnie Updated Apr 4, 2011

I'm addicted to the crepes with fresh cream and strawberries, but the Creme Brulee French Toast is famous. The big bonus is all breakfasts have veggie options - like Eggs Benedict with veggie Canadian bacon! The baker/cafe is located in an industrial warehouse in the south end of town but the interior feels just like a French cafe so no ambiance is lost. If you sit downstairs you can even watch them roll the croissants while you dine.

Favorite Dish: Crepes with fresh strawberries and the house fresh cream. It melts in your mouth. I also recommend the house Chocolate Chai for a drink.

No Whiner Diner: Great Family-Style Diner in Carlsbad

by Basaic Updated Apr 3, 2011

This is a family owned place with a homey atmosphere; old photos on the walls including Marilyn Monroe, old coke and Dr. Pepper signs, etc. Many of the staff have a similar look so maybe they are family. My waitress was named Steph and she was cute with a great smile, friendly, efficient, and 8 months pregnant. She earned a big tip. The menu had a variety of American style food, and includes kids and senior menus. I opted for the Blackened Catfish with mixed vegetables and soup (Hot Mexican Chicken with Vegetables). Hours are Lunch 11 AM to 1:45 PM and Dinner 5 PM to 7:45 Monday through Thursday. They are open for dinner until 8 PM on Fridays. They are closed on Saturday and Sunday. Just under $10 as of March 2011.

Favorite Dish: Unlike some places, the Hot Mexican Chicken with Vegetables actually was hot. The Blackened Catfish was very good. Portions were a little small but I ordered off the "Seniors" Menu; the normal meal has more food. Huge coke.

Main Street Cafe: Good Home Cooking in Lovington

by Basaic Written Apr 3, 2011

This cafe had a small town nostalgic atmosphere with an old style soda fountain, pictures of Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, Route 66 memorabilia, and a figurine of Betty Boop; The staff was attentive enough and the food came quickly. They only serve breakfast and lunch and are closed on Sunday. I had a Main Street Omelet consisting of ham, cheese, green chili peppers, and mushrooms with a pancake and hash browns. Big portions. This was a good value for about $8 as of March 2011.

Favorite Dish: The Main Street Omelet and the pancake were well prepared and the portions large.

• Florida999's Profile Photo

JoAnn's Restaurant: Great New Mexican

by Florida999 Written Jun 27, 2010

After climbing up ladders at Bandelier we were really hungry for lunch and found this great place in Espanola , on the way back to Taos.

Favorite Dish: Combination Plate with Tamales, beef enchiladas with shredded beef and Taco, smothered in green or red chili sauce, yumm!!

• Florida999's Profile Photo

Pars: Middle Eastern Food

by Florida999 Updated Jun 27, 2010

We went to this very nice restaurant on a weeknight in Albuquerque and had Persian food. It was great, the staff very friendly , and we had left-overs. The seating was traditional Persian, on low benches. I asked our waitress why it was so emtpy and she told us just because it was on a night not many people come. They have bellydancers on the weekend.

Favorite Dish: Gyro, Hummus, salad, anything we got was good

Santa Fe Steamer: Great Seafood in Santa Fe

by Basaic Updated Feb 3, 2010

The decor was okay but not great. The food though was great! I had a seafood platter that had a wide variety of seafood and portions so large I had to take most of it to go. I definitely recommend this place for anyone that likes seafood.

Favorite Dish: Seafood Platter; well prepared and large portions.

• Luxury Travel

Golden Spur: Good Pizza, Friendly Bar in Magdalena

by Basaic Written Feb 3, 2010

I was tired and wanted a place to eat within walking distance from the hotel. The desk clerk recommended the Golden Spur. I walked down there and pushed my way through the heavy wooden door. It was obvious this was a local watering hole. Sometimes they do not take to strangers in a place like this. The bartender walked over to my table and I quickly felt at ease. He was very friendly. I ordered a pizza and a rum and coke. The pizza was average, the rum and coke good and strong. One of the guys in the bar was a soldier who had recently returned from Iraq after getting wounded. I sent him a beer. Ended up having a long talk with him and several other patrons in the bar. I will definitely return next time I am in town.

Favorite Dish: I think pizza is all they serve. It is more a bar than a restaurant.

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

Chinex: Good Chinese Fast Food in Alamogordo

by Basaic Written Feb 3, 2010

In the White Sands Mall you have the choice of three or four places to eat. The one I chose was a tiny place called Chinex. You order your food (I had two main dishes with a large mound of fried rice). The tables are in the mall so it's a nice place to sit and watch people walk by. The food was very good. Hours are 10 AM to 8 PM Monday through Saturday and 11 AM to 6 PM on Sunday.

Favorite Dish: Bourbon Chicken and Spicy Beef.

Pepper's Grill: Seafood, Steaks, and More in Alamogordo

by Basaic Written Feb 3, 2010

Pepper's Grill has seafood, steak, chicken, pasta, and more. A widely varied menu. The decor was wood tables and chairs and southwest style art on the walls. Service was very good. They also have beer, wine, and a very good Agave Margarita.

Favorite Dish: I had the Seafood Newburg Pasta. The seafood was very good, the pasta average. Next time I will try the stuffed sole or some catfish. The Hawaiian Ham Steak sounded good too.

La Posta de Mesilla: The Place to go in Mesilla

by Basaic Written Aug 12, 2009

This building is the only intact stop along the Butterfield Stage Route. It now houses La Posta de Mesilla. If you can only go to one restaurant in town, go here. They have great steaks and Mexican food and the best selection of Margaritas and Tequila around. Hours: 11:00-9:00 Tue. - Thurs., Sun.; 11:00-9:30 Fri. and Sat. Open Mondays during Summer. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Favorite Dish: Try the Combo Platter #1 or the Banquette Elegante

1 Review - 1 Photo
Socorro Hotels
58 Reviews - 126 Photos

Instant Answers: New Mexico

Comments

New Mexico Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Mexico restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Mexico sightseeing.
Map of New Mexico