Santa Fe Restaurants

by BruceDunning

Most Recent Restaurants in Santa Fe

Del Charro Saloon: Best Bargain near the Plaza

by goodfish Updated Mar 30, 2015

Updating to reflect some new info, and because my fav little saloon is still getting good reviews!
    Sorry these photos are so bad: will update them when I get a chance to shoot new ones.

I think this will always be our first stop when we land into Santa Fe. Del Charro is attached to Inn of the Governors and is, hand's down, the best place anywhere near the plaza to fill your tummy without breaking the bank. The menu is limited to about 15 items or so but the value is huge: $7 burgers and chicken sammies (with fries!), $5 grilled cheese, a trio of $4 desserts... It's all good and nothing is over $7 except the stuffed chili cheeseburger, boneless wings and Supreme nachos. There's even a salmon wrap, stuffed poblano and veggie burger and for non-carnivorous types, and a daily special.

Wash it all down with a house margarita shaken with El Jimador Reposado and tequila-marinated lime. For $6.50 (yes, it is STILL only $6.50) you get a big shaker that will fill your glass nearly 3 times - and they are really, really good. Really. Of course, this being a bar, they also have all the usual cocktails, wines and beers and all at reasonable (for Santa Fe) prices.

The front part of the saloon is sort of dark, rustic and, well, saloon-like with a bank of French doors that open onto the street in the warmer months. The pleasant back patio is covered but bright and warmed in the winter with a big fireplace and space heaters. There's a little overflow bar area here that was our chosen spot for a few VERY happy hours with our shakers and green chile chicken nachos.

Service is friendly, the place is usually happily, noisily packed (with locals and tourists alike) and you just gotta go!

Note: you have to be 21, or with someone who is, to grab a seat here.

EXTRA TIP: if you book your rooms at Inn of the Governors through their website, you get a $15 daily credit for the saloon! http://www.innofthegovernors.com

Favorite Dish: Green chili cheeseburgers, chicken nachos and, oh lordy, the margaritas. I'm figuring the p.p. price with a shaker of those darn things.

Patio, Del Charro, Santa Fe Front bar, Del Charro

• keida84's Profile Photo

Rooftop Pizzaria: Pizza Pizza I want Pizza... in Santa Fe?

by keida84 Written Jan 22, 2014

Tucked up in the back of a shopping center on San Francisco Street take the elevator to the 3rd floor. It can be a little hard to find at first. There was a waiting list but a very small one, come to think of it we never put our name in because they had a table for us so fast.

Excellent service on a busy night, but we never felt rushed or hurried by the staff. Our server was well seasoned veteran of wait staff and watching him work was truly an art form.

Favorite Dish: My husband decided to stay "Local" as best he could and ordered his creation...A blue corn crust, Pesto and Cheese Pizza. Ugh! I am a traditionalist pizza eater either plain cheese or Pepperoni and Cheese. I choose the latter. I am not an adventurous eater by any stretch of the word. However, in the spirit of expanding my experiences, I tried the pizza. It was pretty good. I am not a fan of pesto but Rooftop Pizzaria put the perfect blend of pesto and cheese to make a tasty pizza. Thank my stars that I had my own pepperoni pizza right before me. (Pictures will post once I retrieve them from my husbands cell phone.)

Rooftop Pizzaria
    • Trains

• keida84's Profile Photo

The Blue Corn Cafe: Blue Corn Tacos

by keida84 Written Jan 18, 2014

Upstairs over looking parts of downtown Santa Fe

Favorite Dish: BLUE CORN TACOS $9.75
    Three crispy blue corn taco shells filled with ground beef or chicken and garnished with lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. Served with flame roasted salsa.

I had the beef and my husband has the chicken and then we shared. Try their ginger ale with the tacos a very nice compliment. (we don't drink alcohol but if I did their margaritas look out of this world) The flan they offered for dessert did not displease and it is quite large so two can enjoy it.

The place was very clean, good crowd of people, and excellent service.

Elevator for the elderly and disabled
    Excellent place for those with kids

Blue corn Tacos & Fire roasted salsa
    • Women's Travel
    • Trains

Santa Fe Bar and Grill: Local flavors

by goodfish Updated Dec 23, 2013

I didn't get a shot of this one so here's a nice piece of local art to fill the space...

This was another favorite 'cause it had great, reasonably priced food, was just across the road from our rental and they didn't bat an eye the two nights we showed up in hiking boots and backpacks. Tucked away in the Devargas shopping mall, it's not exactly on the main drag but only a mile or so from the plaza and well worth the drive/walk to escape the crowds.

The menu is described as "a contemporary interpretation of Southwest-style bar and grill cuisine infusing indigenous foods...with fresh local spices." That means that they take the usuals - like steaks, chicken, enchiladas and sandwiches - and jazz them up nicely with good stuff like roasted poblano chiles, chipotle sauces and cotija cheese. Nothing on the menu is over $20 and most items fall around the $9 - $14 range. The interior is upscale-casual with soft lighting, a long bar (our spot for an after-hike meal) and warm colors.

We like to share little-plate meals at night so dinner was mostly off the appetizer menu. The Mexican steak poblano quesadillas and cornmeal crusted calamari with serrano-lime mayo were both fabulous as were the couple of daily soups we tried. Locally brewed Santa Fe Pale Ale is on tap along with several other regional microbrews.

Kids menu, outdoor patio and friendly staff. Check out their website for menus, hours and pictures.

NOTE: this review was retained and updated based on most current, largely positive reviews on Yelp, Trip Advisor etc.

Favorite Dish: Mexican steak poblano quesadillas, cornmeal encrusted calamari with serrano-lime mayo and any of the soups. Actually, everything looked good.

Gourd mask, Santa Fe

Cowgirl BBQ: Giddiyup to Cowgirl

by goodfish Updated Dec 23, 2013

This was fun. Cowgirl BBQ is corralled in a 100 year-old building in the Guadalupe district and herds of hungry locals and tourists come for the platters of stick-to-your-ribs Southwest and Western fare. The menu includes appetizers, BBQ ribs, chicken and brisket, chili, sandwiches, quesadillas, fajitas, steaks and even a handful of tasty entrees for vegetarians.

No white tablecloths here: the dining areas are decked out in rough-and-tumble Wild West, and the waitstaff sport boots, Stetsons and pearl-buttoned shirts. There is a great outdoor patio in front and another one out back that's every parent's dream: enclosed, astroturfed and with play equipment so grownups with fidgety small fry can enjoy their meal without having to rope 'em in. Little buckaroos have their own menu, too.

There's also a bar and live music most nights of the week. Service can be a little slow but with a beer or margarita in hand, just kick back and enjoy the wait. See the website for hours, menus, music schedule and more fun stuff. Prices can vary greatly depending on if you're coming for chili or a T-bone steak, and lunch is just a few bucks cheaper than the dinner menu.

Note: this review was updated based on most current reviews on Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc - which are mixed based on service (they appear to have some issues there) and personal BBQ preferences so your experience could be hit-or-miss.

Favorite Dish: It's hard to have a favorite when you've only eaten at a place once? I'd say go for the BBQ - anything BBQ

No fancy clothes needed More of the patio Front patio, Cowgirl, Santa Fe

Maria's New Mexican Kitchen: Home of 100 Margaritas

by goodfish Updated Dec 23, 2013

Maria's is one of those local institutions that have been around forever (1952) and doesn't worry about what's trendy; they just keep doing what it is they do best. In this case, it's New Mexican food that's good, reasonably priced, and served in massive quantities. New Mexican is largely Mexican so you won't see anything much that you won't recognize but be ready with your preference for red or green chile sauce - or both. The menu runs to burritos, enchiladas, tamales, tacos, steaks, soups, salads and other entrees commonly found at south-of-the-border type restaurants.

What's not normal is the kajillion types of tequilas they stock at the bar - all authentic agave-based brands from Mexico - and a list of 100 margaritas they'll create from any of those bottles. They are very good and positively lethal so indulge with caution.

There are several indoor dining rooms (some with kiva fireplaces), a bar and a patio. Just as the menu hasn't changed much over 50 years, the decor is a little faded and worn but cheerful and comfortably casual. Parking is limited and the place is always busy so you might end up leaving your wheels some distance down the street.

Bonus: Meals come with heavenly, warm, light-as-air sopapillas and honey for dessert. YUM!!!

Although we last ate here in 2008, this review was retained and updated based on current positive reviews on Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc.

Favorite Dish: Tamales and Carne Adovado (a specialty) were both very good, and I hear that their green chili stew and blue corn chicken enchiladas are terrific too.

Big food at Maria's, Santa Fe One of the dining rooms, Maria's Santa Fe

• Basaic's Profile Photo

El Cafe: Decent Food, Bad Service

by Basaic Written Sep 18, 2013

$15 as of July 2013. El Cafe is associated with the Inn at Santa Fe. It looked nice but the menu is limited to a couple types of quesadilla, tacos, fish and chips, fried chicken, steak and some pasta. Did not have what I ordered. My spaghetti was okay. Had to ask for salt and pepper, had to get up and approach the server for more tea, and they opened late. Not good service. Much better choices in town. Hours are 5 PM to 8 PM, with happy hour 5 to 7.

Favorite Dish: None really.

El Cafe
    • Business Travel

• painterdave's Profile Photo

The Shed: A Real Disappointment

by painterdave Written Jul 18, 2013

I was not happy with The Shed. Reading some of the reviews I expected more. I got less. My steak was overcooked, and the enchilada accompanying it was deflated. It had nothing inside. The menu reveals that they limit their choices to tacos or enchiladas. Do not look for chili rellenos, or tamales, the restaurant saves time and money by offering less.
    So if you are wanting a REAL Mexican food offering with a large menu, look elsewhere.
    Prices on the menu are high, they are taking advantage of the fact that they are just off the square, one block from the Governor's Palace.
    I write a lot of restaurant reviews on VT, and most are favorable. I get upset when I see an over rated restaurant, reviewed so well by people who are not familiar with New Mexico cuisine.
    I grew up in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, and feel I have a good point of view.

Favorite Dish: The shrimp offering looked okay.
    I guess that back in the old days when tortillas were hand made they had shrimp?
    I was hoping to taste a great tamale, but in The Shed, it was not to be.

The wine menu featured an Italian wine. I mentioned to the waiter that I now live in Italy and the Italian wine is a terrible choice, that is not chosen by Italians, and certainly not at that price. The waiter looked behind himself, and then said that he agreed with me and it certainly is a terrible wine.
    They did make a good margarita, which I needed after dining there.

Where's the enchilada?

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Rosewood Inn at Anasazi: Upscale for the Elegant

by BruceDunning Written May 26, 2013

Fixed menu for appetizer, small entree and dessert is $20 for lunch-rip me off. Al a carte is $8-15 appetizer and entrees run $12-16. I am not that hungry.

Favorite Dish: The small sandwich and cup of soup was best I could get away with low end price-so that was it

Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Pink Adobe: Quiet and Upscale

by BruceDunning Written May 26, 2013

It was good and presented very well. The servings were not too big, though. It is open 5:30-9PM except Monday. The Dragon bar is adjacent and can purchase items a bit cheaper there, but not cheap.

Favorite Dish: The fried shrimp/prawns were good, but it seemed like an appetizer size meal. Everything seems small in portions and high in price-and it is.

Picture of the 300 year old building Picture of the Dragon BAr

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

The Shed: For the Tourists

by HispanicYob Written Apr 18, 2013

We decided to try this place out after hearing about it from some source that said it was one of the top eats in Santa Fe. This place is certainly busy! This was right before the lunch rush. This place offers "traditional" New Mexican food such as enchilada plates and more.

We had our meal. The food was good and the hominy (a type of corn used in Mexican and Native American cooking) was a nice touch. Our service was good so no issues there. However, I was still somewhat unsatisfied. We weren't offered any chips and salsa to start our meal, and that's usually a red flag for me right now. As a lot of places here in NM offer chips and salsa with your meal. The meal also came with...get this...garlic bread! I'm not sure what to make of this travesty, since garlic bread usually doesn't go with chile.

You don't want an authentic experience if you eat here as far as the food goes. The surroundings are nice. But this is definitely for the tourists who aren't familiar with Southwest cuisine. Overrated in my book.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken enchilada plate with "Christmas" colors (red and green chile together).

The Shed A creative attempt
    • Seniors

• foreverstoked's Profile Photo

Los Potrillos: Santa Fe: AUTHENTIC Mexican Food

by foreverstoked Updated Mar 3, 2013

Santa Fe is full of tourist trap Mexican restaurants, especially downtown, serving overpriced tasteless taco bell quality food. This IS Mexican unlike most restaurants in Santa Fe, portions are plentiful and the chile is spicy. From the outside, Los Potrillos (The Colts) doesn't look like much as the building was once an old Pizza Hut but once inside you will be greeted with a friendly atmosphere full of cowboy decor, wooden horse carved chairs and large Mexican Vaquero murals on the walls, giving an Old West/Mexican ambiance. My family and I have been coming here for years and this is one of my favorite restaurants in Santa Fe. The staff are always friendly and they show pride in their dishes. The menu items are named in Spanish but have English translations for the lingual-impaired.

Favorite Dish: I highly recommend the Gorditas, Quesadilla Sincronizada, Parillada Costillas, Chiles en Ahogada, Cabrito and the very popular Molcajete Al Pastor: Marinated pork and pineapple served in a molcajete with fresh tortillas and pineapple pico de gallo. Outstanding.

Molcajete Al Pastor

Pasquale's Cafe: Local Favorite

by Roadquill Written Sep 23, 2012

Pasquale's Cafe is a small cafe in old town Santa Fe. As far as cafe's go, this is a cafe on foodie steriods. Creatively presented local food. For more than four you have to wing it and see if they have room at their community table in the middle of the floor. A good selection of seafood, and local items such as grilled corn on the cob with ancho chili lime.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the Nopal cactus salad.

The Compound: High End Splurge

by Roadquill Written Sep 20, 2012

We found The Compound a fun and delicious place to celebrate our anniverary dinner with friends. The prices are top end, and the total price once pre dinner drinks, wine and side dishes are added in can easily top $100 per person. Chef mark Kiffin was named Best Chef of the Southwest by the Beard Foundation. The menu and presentation make it easy to see why. The Compound has a long history and was remodeled in 2000. Fortunately, suit and tie is no longer required, and the waiters no longer wear white gloves. I started with the pork belly wrapped in bacon...and the Alaskan halibut for my main course. Both were excellent. As a table we ordered the seasonable mushrooms (I believe chanterelle). Warning, the waiter insisted we needed three orders which was clearly one too many and at $25 per order, plus service and tax, it was unnecessary.

The Burrito Company: Great Reasonable Place

by Roadquill Written Sep 11, 2012

There is a difference between a Mexican food place in Santa Fe and a New Mexican food place. We almost didn't go into The Burrito Company as we were looking for something a little more upscale. Not fancy on the inside by any means, but the food was delicious and reasonably priced. Unfortunately no real beer or wine, so I satisfied myself with a rootbeer. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Favorite Dish: My chili relleno was slightly crunchy, smothered in a red Poblano sauce. The Santa Fe wrap was also tasty and seemed very healthy.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Santa Fe

Comments

Santa Fe Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Santa Fe restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Santa Fe sightseeing.