Silver City Restaurants

My delicious grab tostadas
    Alotta Gelato
    by toonsarah
    Lemon sorbet, sour cherry, butter pecan

Most Recent Restaurants in Silver City

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Alotta Gelato: Best ice cream in town

by toonsarah Written Oct 20, 2011

When we set off to explore Silver our host at the Inn on Broadway mentioned that the best ice cream could be had at this place towards the north end of the main street, Bullard. So when we arrived at that end of town we decided to pop in for our first ice cream treat of the holiday. And it was a treat! This unprepossessing place serves only ice cream made on the premises and the guy who served us, who I suspect is also the owner, was very helpful and knowledgeable in describing the flavours and how they are made – e.g. the pistachio is a dull olive colour rather than the more common bright green because it is 100% natural without artificial colour or the addition of almond to bulk out the pricey pistachios.

Favorite Dish: It was pretty difficult to chose even though the mid-size cups we selected ($3.95 each) held enough for three flavours. In the end I opted for lemon sorbet, butter pecan and sour cherry – all were good, but the lemon sorbet in particular was a belter! Chris chose mango, blueberry and chocolate – I had a taste of the latter and it was dark, rich-flavoured and totally excellent. If you want four flavours a large cup will set you back $4.95, while a small (two flavour) one is just $2.95.

Alotta Gelato Lemon sorbet, sour cherry, butter pecan

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Jalisco Café: What’s the hurry?

by toonsarah Written Oct 20, 2011

The Jalisco Café occupies a row of three or four old shops at the bottom end of the main street, Bullard. Having checked out the several restaurants at the southern end of town, near our accommodation, we settled on this one, as it looked welcoming and had an appealing New Mexican menu. It also seemed very popular with local families and was pretty busy – both good signs, we thought.

On entering we found ourselves in the first “shop” in the row, now just an entrance lobby with seating for waiting customers. We were welcomed and shown to a table in the middle section, where most other tables were already occupied. Our server was friendly and explained a couple of dishes on the menu, as well as recommending a good Mexican beer (Dos Equis, which became a staple on our trip).

Favorite Dish: We started with complimentary chips and salsa, but had barely started on these when our main courses arrived. Chris had chosen the chicken enchiladas with red chilli sauce – hot and tasty. I’d gone for a slightly riskier choice but it paid off – I really loved the crab tostadas which would be worthy of a more up-market, pricier restaurant than this. Two crispy shells spread with a layer of guacamole and piled high with plenty of crab meat, chopped mango, red onion etc, all drizzled with red chilli sauce – delicious!

While we were still enjoying these dishes our waitress came over to ask if we wanted dessert. We said that we wouldn’t know until we had finished our mains, which she accepted, but she was back again the moment we put down our cutlery. Although full, we decided that we would try a sopapilla. She willingly brought one – a large puffy bread with honey to drizzle inside. But she also brought the bill, and it seemed clear that we were being encouraged to leave, especially when the now-empty tables around us were cleared and chairs upturned on some.

Please don’t think we were eating late – this was at 8.10 pm (the restaurant closes at 8.30 pm which seems early by European standards but is fairly normal in small-town America). So we got the message, paid our bill (a reasonable $35) and left, assuming ourselves to be one of the last to go. Imagine our surprise when we walked past the far section of the restaurant, which had been hidden to our sight, to see it with tables full and meals still coming out. We couldn’t help but suspect that our waitress had a date that evening and was keen to get away early! Well, never mind – we had enjoyed our meal and as the night was young we headed to the nearby Buffalo Bar ... but that’s another story, to be told as a “Nightlife” tip.

If it hadn't been for the poor impression made by our server I think I would have rated this restaurant as 4 star rather than 3, as the food was very good. So do give it a try - you may be luckier than we were!

Chris in Jalisco Caf�� My delicious grab tostadas

• sherita's Profile Photo

Isaac's Bar & Grill: Try the Bison!

by sherita Written Oct 24, 2009

I love bison and heard Isaac's had both a burger and meatloaf. When we first arrived there was no one at the front door, just a sign that said to seat yourself. We had to wait what seemed like a long time but was probably only about five minutes for someone to give us a menu. Because of that I thought we were in for a long evening, I was wrong. Once our waiter arrived, it was very quick. My husband and I both ordered the bison meatloaf and thought it was wonderful. Our waiter was very attentive. All in all, I'd say it was a great meal and I'd go back if I'm ever in Silver City again.

Favorite Dish: Bison Meatloaf

• Architecture

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Java the Hut: Deli Food and Great Coffee

by Basaic Written Apr 23, 2009

Java the Hut is located on Bullard Street in the Historic District. They specialize in deli sandwiches, hot dogs, and different types of coffees and teas. Hours are 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday and 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday. They are closed on Sundays. This place is popular with students from the university. Seating inside is very limited and is cramped but they have a nice outdoor seating area too. The business card said "Soon to Be World Famous" then in parentheses (it could happen). Well now they have made VT.

Love the name!

Favorite Dish: Good hot dogs, great coffee.

Java the Hut Outdoor Seating
    • National/State Park

• Basaic's Profile Photo

The Red Barn: Try the Steaks and Seafood

by Basaic Written Apr 21, 2009

The Red Barn is a family steakhouse serving lunch and dinner daily except Sunday. They have convention and banquet facilities. Senior and child menus available. They specialize in steaks; but also have some good seafood dishes on the menu. There is also a well stocked salad bar. Hours are 11 AM to2 PM and 5 PM to midnight. Service sometimes tends to be slow.

Favorite Dish: I had seafood which was better than average but not outstanding.

The Red Barn
    • National/State Park

• Nancy's Silver Cafe‚ Inc.: This is one to skip

by harleyrider007 Written Jun 27, 2008

Get out the phone book and keep looking for somewhere to eat. The service is slow. The location is small and one person could easily handle all of the tables even if it was full. There were two waitresses and I had to get up and fill my coffee 3 times. The food was etible but nothing special. Each table that came in had the same experience. You had to grab the waitress to get anything. I don't know how hard it is to see that someone doesn't have any coffee or water and you have walked by the talbe 5 times and not even looked at it. I don't know how places like this stay in business.

Favorite Dish: Didn't like the eggs mexicana or the choriso and eggs

• mhellman's Profile Photo

Shevek & Mi (Pinon Cafe & Bakery): Good food, great service, nice location

by mhellman Updated Jun 11, 2005

There aren't too many places in Silver City or the towns nearby that rise above the level of fast food or steakhouse/saladbar dinner houses, but Shevek & Mi is one of them and is excellent even by big-city standards. Recently expanded to the bookstore next door, which adds a quirky ambience.

Favorite Dish: Dinner entrees are continental/Italian and run from $10-$20.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Luxury Travel

• Golden Corral is my favorite,...

by 7dolphin7 Written Oct 5, 2002

Golden Corral is my favorite, but there are many restaurants in the area to choose from. New Mexican food is most popular, and many of the top franchise fast food places are easily availiable.
    The best steaks are in Pinos Altos (9 miles north of Silver City), at the Buckhorn Steakhouse and Opera Saloon. A place that delves into history of the old gold and silver mining days.

Favorite Dish: Chimichunga smothered in green chile.

Instant Answers: Silver City

Comments

Silver City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Silver City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Silver City sightseeing.