Socorro Restaurants

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Socorro Springs Restaurant & Brewery: Great Dining With Beer

by Basaic Updated Aug 21, 2012

Socorro Springs

Socorro Springs is probably THE place to go in town to eat. They offer various pizza, calzone, pasta dishes and a salmon dish along with a great 12 ounce rib-eye cooked over a pecan wood fire. There are also soups, salads, burgers and sandwiches if you are less hungry. They serve a wide variety of beers, ales and lagers. Decor is nice and classy. Service was very good. This is the kind of place you expect in cities like New York or San Francisco, not neccessarily in Socorro. Definitely recommended!!

I returned here again in August 2012 and the food was again great. My waitress was only average though.

Favorite Dish: I don't eat that much steak; but the 12 oz Ribeye fired over pecan wood might make me change my mind. Great lasagna too, (August 2012)

• Business Travel

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

Socorro Springs Brewery: Take the Kids!

by lisa85202 Written Feb 11, 2012

From the outside, this restaurant appeared a little upscale- at least, for us to be taking our kids. We stayed in the hotel next door on New Years Eve. We were pleasantly surprised that we were quite comfortable eating here with our family. The prices were very reasonable, the beer and food was delicious! The kids absolutely LOVED their Pizza! The place was crowded, and there was a little wait for our food, but we enjoyed the time to enjoy the good beer.

Favorite Dish: Calzone and salad for myself and wood fired pizza for the children. We ALL loved our food! Try the Station 1 Amber Lager ~YUM!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Socorro Springs Brewery: Pizza and beer – what more do you want?

by toonsarah Written Nov 1, 2011

Socorro Springs Brewery

I had read good reviews of the Socorro Springs Brewery here on VT and elsewhere, and as the dining options in Socorro are fairly limited (unless you want fast food chains) it seemed the natural place to head for on our one evening here. And while I have to say that while we had both expected a space with the character more of a bar than of a family restaurant, we nevertheless enjoyed our evening here.

Favorite Dish: One of the specialities here is pizza, and as that is Chris’s absolute favourite food, he was bound to choose one – and as I like them too, I decided to do the same. His choice was the Californian, with chicken, pesto, black olives, onion and red peppers. I opted for the Tomato del Sol, with fresh and sundried tomatoes, green chillies, capers and feta cheese. As you can see, there are some out of-the-usual flavour combinations here. They get the basics right however, with light, tasty bases.

To go with the pizzas we naturally chose from their selection of microbrews. I enjoyed my Isopod Pale Ale, which was crisp and fairly malty, but Chris was slightly less impressed by the Pick Axe IPA. The latter claims to be their biggest seller but he found it a little bland.

After our meal we moved to their bar area to sample some more brews, and found our choices there rather more satisfying. We both loved the Park City Porter, which was dark, rich and packed with flavour. I also was rather taken with one of the guest ales, Bridgeport’s Café Negro, with its strong espresso after-taste (created, according to the menu, by infusing “a specialised blend of coffee with the base beer during cold conditioning”)

Prices here seemed pretty reasonable. Our meal in the restaurant came to $27 for the two good-sized pizzas and two beers. Beers come in 5 ounce, 10 ounce and pint (16 ounce) sizes, with the latter costing $4.25.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Socorro Springs Brewery: Some of the Best Beer in the Southwest

by bocmaxima Updated Dec 16, 2010

You wouldn't expect a little town like Socorro, New Mexico to have a world-class brewery rivaling the great ones of the Pacific Northwest, however, Socorro Springs certainly holds its own. It's very sparsely distributed, so you've more than likely never heard of it. However, one beer and you'll certainly remember it.
    Okay, so there's also food. And good food!
    Socorro is a cool place to stop over, but this could also be a great place to just stop and have lunch or dinner. The only downside is that they close at 10pm.

Favorite Dish: Personally, I like IPAs and was ENTRANCED by their's

• Sofia's Kitchen: GREAT GREEN CHILI

by billycat2010 Updated Nov 12, 2010

Local New Mexican. Not too fancy but open, clean and bright with original murals on the walls depicting local history. Service was inconsistent. Faijtas were tasty. The special steak was like an old tire.
    Green chili so good it made up for any thing else. Would go there again and try other dishes.

Favorite Dish: GREEN CHILI - FANTASTIC
    GOOD HEAT, NOT TOURISTY

• Hiking and Walking
    • Festivals

• Socorro Springs Brewing Co.: Too little, too late

by billycat2010 Written Nov 12, 2010

Unless you are Rip VanWinkle and don't mind waiting 2 hours for a mediocre meal, this isn't the place for you. The waiter with the Daliesque mustache was friendly enough but after a forty minute wait he informed us that the the Lasagna plate cracked under the fire. Another order would would be along shortly. The pizza order was a no show. Forty minutes later the lasagna arrived accompanied by a crispy black puck that was formerly the pizza I ordered. It went back to the kitchen while we waited anther 20 minutes. Management didn't even credit our two flat beers. NO wonder this brew pub was empty on a Friday evening.

• Eco-Tourism

• RowdyTheologian's Profile Photo

El Camino Restaurant & Lounge: Great Roadfood!

by RowdyTheologian Written Oct 30, 2006

El Camino Restaurant, Socorro, New Mexico

El Camino is a must for any road food enthusiast. The menu boasts a wide array of New Mexican dishes. The wait staff was friendly and the portions were generous. What's more, in addition to the restaurant, there's a full bar/lounge area just to the left when you enter. It's secluded enough so the restaurant maintains its family friendly ambience, but nonetheless, it's there if you need it. The place is open 24 hours. What more could you ask for?

• Manny's Buckhorn Cafe: The green chile cheeseburger competition

by CCW Updated Jan 23, 2006

This little cafe rocketed into nationwide prominence in 2005 when a story in GQ Magazine dubbed the Buckhorn Burger #7 on its list of "100 burgers to eat before you die." It's humbler and funkier than the Owl Cafe across the way.

Favorite Dish: Compared to the Owl Cafe's, I thought that the burger was equally good, and the onion rings were better (the standard frozen variety, but cooked just right). I have mixed feelings about mustard on a green chile cheeseburger -- some people loathe it, but I thought it turned out pretty good. However, the service was REEEEEALLY SLOOOOOOOW: they had one cook and one server (a pleasant young lady) at lunchtime, and there was a large family party ahead of us, so it took half an hour to get my lunch -- for a hamburger?? (But the server not only refilled my hot water while I waited, but gave me a fresh tea bag -- big kudos, and a generous tip!)

• Socorro Springs Brewery: Pizza, Brews, and More

by CCW Updated Jan 23, 2006

This restaurant is pleasant, friendly, extremely popular with locals as well as visitors, and a good value for the price. It started out as a small brew pub/pizzeria in a historic adobe near the Plaza, but in 2005 it moved to a beautiful new building on the main drag and now offers an expanded menu.

Favorite Dish: The salads are good: generous servings, they don't overdo the dressing (the balsamic vinaigrette is nice), and there's a satisfactory proportion of "goodies" to lettuce. I haven't sampled the non-pizza dinner entrees (pastas and some grilled dishes, e.g., salmon), but other diners were tucking into them with evident pleasure. They also offer sandwiches and calzones, if that' s your preference.

I like vegetable pizzas, and they offer some interesting combinations (e.g., fresh tomato and green chile) as well as the usual meat-and-cheese. Their approach is one-size-fits-all: the pizzas are about 12" in diameter, so one will feed 2 not-too-ravenous diners, or one person who's been standing out in 30-degree weather watching birds all evening (heh!). I can't comment on the brews (I'm not much of a beer drinker), but they have a good wine list -- I had an Italian Pinot Grigio that I enjoyed. Save room for dessert: their chocolate cake is decadent, and they had several intriguing varieties of cheesecake too.

Recently they began offering a limited but pleasant breakfast menu: the house omelet is interesting (ham, cheese, fresh spinach, etc.) and generously sized, and comes with tasty sauteed red potato chunks. The baked goods are nice too -- try the toasted jalapeno cheese bread! The breakfast burrito sounded good, but doesn't include potatoes, which, to me, are an essential ingredient of this NM standby. They serve Starbucks coffee, which is OK, but I wish they'd use one of the many excellent NM coffee roasters instead.

• Adventure Travel

• Owl Cafe: The archetypal green chile cheeseburger

by CCW Updated Nov 21, 2005

The Owl Cafe is in San Antonio, a little village about a dozen miles south of Socorro and 8 miles north of the Bosque del Apache. Every birder of note who's visited the Bosque has eaten there, and it's very popular with travelers of all sorts, from high school football teams to bikers on Harleys. (Highway 380, the main drag of San Antonio, continues east to Carrizozo, through some amazing scenery, and from there it's a short hop to Ruidoso and environs.) The Owl is the archetypal bar and grill, rather dark, with a beautiful carved antique bar with a mirror (rescued from a defunct hotel) and booths with checkered tablecloths. Service is friendly and usually prompt. Note: It's closed on Sundays, as is the competing cafe (the Buckhorn) across the road, so if you're at the Bosque on Sunday you'll have to drive in to Socorro for lunch (fortunately this takes only about 15 minutes).

Favorite Dish: The green chile cheeseburger is famous -- the bun is nothing special, but the burger spills out over the edges, and it's lavished with cheese and green chile. (If you're not used to hot stuff, I advise asking for chile on the side. Green chile varies from year to year, depending on how much rain they've had down in Hatch, and in a dry year it's downright incendiary.) The fries are OK but nothing special, and I found the onion rings disappointing, greasy and overcooked. The menu is very limited (basically burgers and sandwiches), and if you're a vegetarian, forget it!

Note: The Owl Bar and Grill in Albuquerque was founded by the same people (I think a member of the family still owns it), and if you're going on to Albuq., definitely dine there -- the decor is 50's classic, the menu is more extensive, the desserts are fabulous, and the servings are humongous (but the burgers are just as good as the original).

• The El Camino: Best green chile sauce

by louielouieusa Updated May 9, 2004

Open 24 hours a day this place has the best food in the area. Other restaurant's lack the depth of this menu. This is New Mexico and the last time I was working in the area there was a petition on the counter by the cash register proclaiming the city councils plan to oppose any restrictions on smoking in restaurants. As a Californian this is a draw back. However you can order from the full menu in The Matador Room an attached bar where second hand smoke is less than 1/4 of the restaurant proper.

Favorite Dish: A personal favorite is the two egg burritos with hash browns (instead of beans) covered in green chile sauce. the hash browns are the perfect vehicle for more green chile. The green chile is flavorful and spicy unlike others that can only be described as painful.

Instant Answers: Socorro

Comments

Socorro Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Socorro restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Socorro sightseeing.