Taos Restaurants

Sign along the road

Most Recent Restaurants in Taos

Dragonfly: Interesting Menu and Staff

Dragonfly

$22 as of July 2013. The Dragonfly is a neat looking place in one of the artsy parts of Taos near Taos Pueblo. They have a nice outdoor seating area and the inside is cool. The menu tends toward healthy food and Middle Eastern Food. It is also a bakery so there are plenty of good baked goods. Hours are 11 AM to 9 PM Monday through Saturday and 9 AM to 3 PM on Sunday. My favorite place to eat in Taos.

Favorite Dish: My Middle Eastern Lamb Plate was good. It had a few different samples of lamb dishes and some tasty side dishes.

• Luxury Travel

Los Amigos: Good Mexican Food In Quality Inn

by Basaic Written Sep 18, 2013

$17 as of July 2013. As you might expect, Los Amigos has some New Mexican style Mexican dishes but also regular US style steak, pork chops, chicken, and seafood. The food is well-prepared and service was fine. Try the meatloaf early bird special. Decent list of wines and beers too. Hours are 5:30 PM to 9 PM.

Yu Garden: Good Chinese Food

Yu Garden

$9 as of July 2013. This looked like a fairly typical Chinese Restaurant inside and the menu had the usual items; maybe a few extra dishes. Large portions. Nice people running the place. Hours are 11 AM to 9 PM Tuesday through Thursday and Sunday; and 11 AM to 9:30 PM Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed my Shredded Pork in Hot Garlic Sauce, nice kick.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Ogilvie's: Fantastic Enchiladas

by painterdave Updated Jul 18, 2013

The inside decor

Ogilvie's is located on the east side of the Plaza on the second floor. Go inside the shops entrance and then look for the stairs.
    This Mexican food restaurant is very clean and well kept. The wait staff is efficient and knows the menu. The tables are spread out so that you are not on top of a neighboring table. In the summer you can eat on the balcony outdoors.
    The menu listings are not numerous, so they can devote their energies to doing it right.
    Opens at 11:00.
    They have a good children's menu.
    I lived in New Mexico for many years, and I know Mexican Food. This is an exceptional restaurant. It beats any Calfornia Mexican Food Restaurant, except maybe a few in Old Town, San Diego, and is comparible to any of the best in Denver.

Favorite Dish: I recommend the blue corn enchilada stack, or the enchiladas. The beans that come with these dishes are terrific, not coming from a can, but soaked overnight and then cooked in a nice broth.
    To die for: the guacamole dip. If you like your guacamole with garlic and chile pepper this is for you!
    Unfortunately no sopapillas.
    They also have fajitas, beef or chicken
    Keep in mind that this is northern New Mexico and so the food will have a bit different salza flavor. Yes, Mexican food here is a bit different flavoring that Texas or California. Enjoy!

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Orlando's: Best Mexican In Taos!

by painterdave Written Jul 18, 2013

One of many tasty offerings

There are many reviews of Orlando's on the internet, all quite favorable. We dined here for lunch and were not disappointed in the least. I would say that in three weeks of travelling throughout the Southwest, this was the number one Mexican restaurant.
    The sauces were truly those of the Taos area, the tamales were large and plump with meat, the chili rellenos were so perfect, even the beans were cooked well, having that pop when you bite down.
    I have eaten in several well known Taos restaurants, and this is by far the top choice.
    It is not fancy, but the food is awesome. Real old Mexican flavors!
    From their website
    Monday through Sunday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm, 5:00–9:00 pm

Favorite Dish: See the photos!
    If you know sauces from this area, you know this is the place for you.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Gorge Grill: Typical Food Fare

by BruceDunning Written May 27, 2013

The food was okay but nothing special. After reading the menu, I decided to try something different instead of a burger. So, I ordered the fish sandwich which was described as piled high on top of a luscious bun with asiago flavor. I got thre measly pieces like fish sticks and no flavor at all of fish. The asiago overwhelmed the sandwich. Price for that was $10.50, a rip

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Five Star Burgers: Burger Haven

by BruceDunning Written May 27, 2013

Front of the building

The food was good and the burgers plentiful. I had appetizer of two burger sliders and a couple of beers during happy hour 3-6PM, and cost only $7.50. Then I had a burger that was about $8.25 for the regular, and it was good along with a pile of fries.
    This is a chain operation, but did seem okay to eat at.

Favorite Dish: The burger of regular basic was fine-without all the other condiments put on it.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Adobe Bar: A great evening!

Adobe Bar from balcony

The Taos Inn is one of two historic hotels in the centre of Taos, and has bags of character. We did consider, briefly, staying here but the budget wouldn’t stretch! However we did have a couple of good meals here, one in the Adobe Bar and one in the main restaurant (see next review). The former serves the same menu as the restaurant (as well as a simpler bistro menu), but in a more casual setting. This suited us fine, as did the fact that we could get a table immediately whereas there would have been a 30 minute wait for one in the restaurant on the evening we visited (I believe that reservations are only accepted for the restaurant, not the bar).

We found a table in a side room off the main bar, which was an attractive space and relatively quiet. Our server was very friendly and made a great recommendation on the margarita – the signature “Cowboy Buddha” was excellent!

Favorite Dish: I chose the blue corn chicken enchiladas with red chilli (as in most places, I could also have had green), Spanish rice and pinto beans. Chris had a green chilli cheeseburger which came with French fries. Portions were good, but we managed to squeeze in a shared helping of dessert – fruit cobbler with cinnamon ice cream. The margarita and a couple of beers for Chris pushed the bill up to $60 with tax and a tip, but we’d thoroughly enjoyed the meal and felt it was reasonable value for the setting, service and quality of food – and drink!

To make an evening of it, we then moved to the main part of the bar where there was live music. This was pretty full, but we secured seats up on the balcony, where we had an excellent view of all the activity below. I just had to have another Cowboy Buddha, and Chris another beer. The band were very good, playing Western and folk-influenced music which might not be my usual listening at home but fitted perfectly with the atmosphere in this historic spot. What a great evening!

• Music

Doc Martin's: Good lunch/brunch menu

by toonsarah Written Dec 27, 2011

Grilled apple and blue cheese salad

We returned to the Taos Inn on the Sunday for lunch, mainly because we liked the look of the little patio at the front of the building. But we discovered that only the limited bistro menu was served here, and as we were looking for salads which only appeared on the main brunch menu, we were directed to the restaurant, Doc Martin’s. This is quite a formal place by Taos standards, and more so than we would usually chose for lunch, but we’d been on the go all morning and were ready for the break it offered.

Favorite Dish: The brunch menu is extensive and with larger appetites I think we’d have found it difficult to choose. But we’d already had a good breakfast at La Doña Luz, and rarely eat a large lunch, so we focused on the salads. I opted for the grilled apple and blue cheese salad, which was a good plateful and pretty tasty, while Chris chose the Cobb salad, which was OK though nothing special. We both drank grapefruit juice and paid $28 with tax.

World Cup Coffee: Good coffee in the heart of Taos

Display in World Cup Coffee

You couldn’t get a better location in Taos than this for a friendly local coffee shop, and it would be hard to find a better selection of coffee drinks too, so the only thing this place really lacks is space. There are just a few seats on a bench outside, and a few more at a counter inside, so if you can’t secure one of these you’ll have to opt for “coffee to go” – although with the Plaza just a few steps away that’s not too bad an option. But we managed to grab a couple of those inside seats and enjoyed a relaxing brew – an iced latte for me and a cappuccino for Chris.

If you’re not a coffee drinker they also have a good selection of teas and fruit drinks so it’s a great refreshment spot whatever your taste!

Eske's Brew Pub: Casual and fun, and good beer too

Eske's at night

Eske’s came well recommended by Richie (richiecdisc) and was also just across the parking lot from our bed & breakfast, so it was a natural choice for an evening out – and a great one! This is a casual spot that seemed popular with locals as well as visitors to Taos, and with good reason, as both food and beer were very good. There are a couple of linked rooms, and the only tables available when we arrived were in the first room, so that’s where we settled. There are also tables outside, but October evenings in Taos are too chilly for us to have contemplated that option!

Favorite Dish: We shared some good hot salsa and chips to start with, while we sampled our first beer (the Artist Ale for both of us) and perused the menu. The beer was fresh-tasting and went well with the spicy flavour – a good meal accompaniment. From the tempting menu I chose the Green Chilli Burrito, which was stuffed with beans and cheese and smothered with a vegetable and green chilli stew – yummy! Chris was pleased to see a German favourite so went for the bratwurst with sauerkraut and mash, which he also really enjoyed.

We had no room for dessert, but of course hung around to sample more of their beers. After a taster of the Green Chilli Lager I decided that this was surprisingly good, so had a full one – and another! Meanwhile Chris was drinking, and enjoying, the Seco Stout – described as “Irish style”. Prices are reasonable, at $4.50 for a pint or $3.50 for a 10oz glass, and you can get a taster tray at $1.25 per beer, although our server was happy to bring me a taster of the Green Chilli beer for free.

Our total bill for the chips, two mains, and three beers each came to $47 including tax – very good value for a great evening out. If I lived in Taos I would come here often!!

This is my last tip; if you want you can return to my Intro page

• Beer Tasting

• scargo's Profile Photo

Michael's Kitchen, Tree House and More!: Restaurants of Taos

by scargo Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Michael's Kitchen

Michael's Kitchen: Best breakfasts in Taos, n. downtown area.
    The Chille Connection out towards ski area is very good.
    The Treehouse and Doc Martin's are are two, high-end restaurants in-town that I recommend.
    There are many fancier restaurants out toward the ski area once you turn off of 68. There are also places in the Taos Ski Valley that are worth the trip. Like most skiing/artsy-tourist places I have been to, Taos is casual and most places are OK with almost any attire. In a few, you might feel (and be) out of place wearing holey jeans and tee-shirt.

At the mountain, I like Tim's Stray Dog Cantina. Since 1989, it has been a favorite of the locals (and ME). Great chilis, NM food and drinks! They brew "Chili Beer" on occasion, too. A great place for lunch or after skiing for drinks or dinner.

Favorite Dish: The main thing is to be adventurous. Try places in Rancho de Taos. Look for cars out front and dive in! You may eat with the locals in a seedy place with the looks of a dive, but the food will be good and cheap! Also, in many good restaurants a variety of good fish abounds! Amazing!
    Taos does not quite have the refinement and "bling" of Santa Fe everywhere, but don't let that put you off. Remember that many people in the Taos area are fairly poor, and often it shows.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Adventure Travel

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

The Pizza Place: They closed down the place for our family

by Sienlu Updated Aug 11, 2010

So on our little getaway to Red River, (the 50 of us) needed to find a place to eat for lunch. Not an easy task when your family is that big. Well the Pizza place behind Frye's Old town gift shops literally closed down their restaurant to accommodate us. (yes there was a sign on the door saying "closed until 6.45" for private party). I just thought that was the coolest thing without having reservations in advance.

Service was really good, Pizzas, salads and appetizers not bad at all.

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

Purple Sage Cafe: New in Taos - Loved it!

by Sienlu Updated Aug 4, 2010

This place is new in Taos, almost right across from our hotel (the Comfort Suites) on Paseo del Pueblo Sur, I noticed the Purple Sage Cafe right away, Big name in very attractive purple, cute little house, it looks from the road like a really cool place. And it is!

The inside and out is very well decorated with cool paintings, fashionable sink in the bathroom (yes I think that's cool) a patio outside with a little garden. And our waiter was really nice!

The food was AWESOME as well! lots of food for very affordable price! and it was good, we had green chile chicken avocado sandwich, sweet fries, smothered bean burrito, it was delicious.
    HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!

Favorite Dish: Sweet fries

• Doc Martins: Doc Martins Wonderful Experience!

by denverorens Written Mar 19, 2010

Doc Martins is located in the Historic Taos Inn. It's a great restaurant in a awesome hotel. They have got really good food for vegetarians being one myself, and they have got really great service. It's downstairs in the lobby, you can enjoy some great people watching sitting by the windows. All the food is super good desserts are out of this world. I always eat here when I am visiting Taos don't miss out!

Favorite Dish: Thai noodles with tofu for lunch, tofu maple scramble for breakfast. Love Thai noodles comes with lots of yummy veggies. The breakfast very unique, have never had this before and it is super good

• Wine Tasting
    • Hot Air Ballooning

Instant Answers: Taos

Comments

Taos Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Taos restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Taos sightseeing.