Taos Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Taos

• Oglivie's: You'll Get Sick To Your Stomach and Disgusted

by SkiRat Written Mar 14, 2010

The food is nasty.
    They apparently don't have a CHEF!
    Our food was very obviously poured from a can.
    Also, the food may contain some time of bizarre chemical additives
    as we all began to profusley sweat and then grind our teeth later during '
    the evening.
    Then the gas and diarreah started.
    Oglivie's is REALLY, REALLY, NASTY!

Favorite Dish: Food here is garbage!
    Don't Try It!

• Seniors

• scargo's Profile Photo

Tequila's (ex Casa de Valdez) and Jacquilinas: Restaurants of Rancho de Taos away from the drag

by scargo Updated Sep 17, 2009

Tequila's (ex Casa de Valdez Restaurant)

Rancho de Taos is a unique town (though almost seamless with Taos), on the South end of Taos. You can find bargains in accomodations and food. It just takes you another 10-15 minutes to get to skiing at Taos Ski Valley!

Tequilas, what I experienced years ago as "Casa de Valdez": Local, "New Mexican" food with great barbacoa (BBQ based), dishes and drinks. They had a fresh salsa that was incredible! Decent and above-average atmosphere. Not a lot of kids. Good service.
    The grilled/bbq'd meat flavors in their tacos, burritos, etc. was marvelosso! One of my favorite places to eat the somewhat gussied-up local food!

Jacquilinas: Very good NM food (A few blocks further out than Casa de Valdez). A slightly simpler food.

There are several places to get a good breakfast in the Rancho de Taos area, and cheap too!

Favorite Dish: Salsa at old Casa de Valdez! So good I have tried to duplicate it many times...
    Any food with BBQ or grilled meat in it. Perhaps their beef Chile Rellenos were a favorite.....

"Price per person" that I chose includes "drinks"/everything!

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Joseph's Table: Acclaimed restaurant was biggest disappointment

by apbeaches Written Sep 6, 2009

I read about Joseph's Table in Gourmet, Zagats, the New York Times... and was thrilled to finally make it. The entire experience was such a let down. Our table was filthy, yes the dirty cutlery was given to our waiter who was dishelved & had a horrid body odor. Our glasses were dirty & water warm. We waited for about an hour to get our entrees, people seated after us were done before we were served. We were disappointed by our meals; my lamb was sitting in oil. I questioned my meal & was told that these were chops. Perhaps I was given fatty & greasy lamb necks? I tasted it long after eaten.

Upon leaving, we were asked if we enjoyed our meal. We shared our complaints. The manager made no attempt to pacify us. We wasted hours in a dirty restaurant with meals that were signifcantly less than expected.

Favorite Dish: NOTHING - EVEN THE WATER WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT! I THINK THIS IS THE WORST RESTAURANT I'VE EVER EATEN IN! THIS WAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE MEAL WE ATE IN NEW MEXICO!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Taos Pueblo Inhabitants: Indian taco has nothing on Mexican variety

by richiecdisc Written May 12, 2009

a bit overpriced but worth a try

I'm a big fan of trying local foods. I could come down with dysentery and be happy with a meal if I felt I was living like the locals. But with this openness to experience comes some preconceptions with regard to price. I can live with less than perfectly sanitary preparation if the price is commensurate with the hygienic level. Indian tacos sounded kind of touristy and I have to admit that paying $25 for the two of us and the camera permit to get in was already testing me. But seven dollars sounded like highway robbery for a taco but I figured when was I going to get to try this delicacy again?

Favorite Dish: We ordered one figuring that at that price it should be enough to feed two. Though it looked like a fair sized meal, once we started eating it, it became apparent it was mostly some salad with a bean type stew overtop of the homemade Indian bread, which was more like fried dough than actual bread. The bread was the best part of the taco. The rest was kind of bland and certainly in need of a lot more meat. I could have lived with the meager meat if the price was about half what it was.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Eske's Brewpub: get the Fatty

by richiecdisc Written May 12, 2009

and this wasn't even the Fatty

Get the Fatty. Eske's was on my list of brewpubs to visit for a long time. It wasn't anything in particular but probably more due to inaccessibility than anything else. Much as New Mexico and Taos in particular had eluded me, Eske's had followed suit. Housed in a classic Adobe building, there is a nice outside porch for dining as well as some nooks and crannies inside. There is a very small bar which is where we sat. The bartender turned out to be from my old home state of Pennsylvania so we had lots to talk about and getting tasters was easy too. It's a casual place.

Favorite Dish: The menu is limited but we were in the mood for Southwestern fare and that they sure had. We got Wanda's Green Chile Tortilla-A whole wheat tortilla filled with beans, onions and cheddar cheese, smothered in Wanda's Green Chile Stew for $6.25. Our buddy bartender told us to get the fatty but we stupidly decided against this. Fatty sounded like some drug reference to me but we later found out it meant they stuffed the tortilla with mashed potatoes which sounds a bit odd but sure it was a lot more filling than what we got. Still, it was a fair size for the price and certainly tasty. We had the Special Bitter which was amber with a nice mix of malt and hops. It was in the English Bitter (4.6%) vein but with American hops so a bit of a cross breed. The Old Coal Porter (4.5%) was very dark with ruby highlights and dry malty palate. Taos Green Chile was a light lager with just a hint of chile, not as bad as I had expected. The Scottish Ale (6.4%) was an interesting big brother to the ESB, malty but dry and hoppy in the finish. Quite nice. The Seco Stout was a classic Dry Irish Stout. Black with tan head and bitter palate.

• Beer Tasting

• Ogiviles: Don't waste your time!

by newtonewmexico Written Jun 2, 2008

The food itself was pretty good. A little pricey but you pay for the atmosphere. The service was terrible. We had to wait 10 min before our drink orders were taken and then they were never refilled until we flagged down a server. Our server never checked on our table except when our order was brought out. Then she came after us as we left the resturant demanding to know why her tip was so small. Well, for starters she rarely waited on us. There us always someone else bringing items to the table getting our drinks etc. not her. Why should we pay her for a service that she did not provide?

Favorite Dish: Did not really have a favorite. The food was rather bland nothing special.

• uaamom's Profile Photo

El Monte Sagrado: El Monte Sagrado-Disappointing & $$$

by uaamom Written Jan 9, 2008

Disappointing food and service - twice. And this is world class $$$. There are much better places to eat in Taos for far less money and more authentic atmosphere. The managers need to work on the service and the food.

• Luxury Travel
    • Spa and Resort

• Byzantium: A world-class dining adventure

by roadtripsue Written Jul 14, 2006

This is a tiny, quiet, and welcoming restaurant with an outstanding chef and some of our favorite food in Taos. Sometimes we go twice in one trip despite the cost. The owner/waiter is friendly and helpful. I've never had a dish I didn't love. Many things seem to have at least a little Asian influence, but not everything. They do an amazing job of combining flavors and putting things together just right. Last time I had the Sticky Duck with Plum Sauce which was devine -- and I don't usually like duck. I've also had wonderful steamed mussels there (Yes, seafood in the high dessert!) Desserts are also wonderful. Presentations are dramatic and beautiful. (Next time I'll take a picture.)

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

The Apple Tree: Old World Charm and Wonderful Food

by rexvaughan Updated Jun 3, 2006

Almond crusted brie

The Apple Tree Restaurant is in an old building dating from 1898 It was originally constructed as a residence and then was divided into apartments but for the past 25 years has housed the restaurant. The building retains the charming character and historic atmosphere of the era. It is still a family business as we were greeted and seated by the owners' son. There is a nice small patio which features the original apple tree planted in 1903. The restaurant uses local organic produce to complement many of its entrees.

Favorite Dish: We stopped for lunch and I had Apple Tree Salad which was Romaine lettus and organic mixed greens in a honey bleu cheese dressing. It was topped with roasted walnuts, bleu cheese and dried cranberries. It was delicious and a light, but hearty lunch. My friend had warm almond crusted brie with a blackberry coulis, granny smith apples, bananas and strawberries. I enjoyed my salad but kept tossing envious glances at his plate. Others in the group had burgers or trout. We all agreed that our meal was well presented, moderately priced and delicious! High recommenda

Wired Cafe: Wired

by leafmcgowan Written Dec 26, 2005
    Front of shop

Just off the main roads is a small artistic enclosure known as "Wired" cyber cafe. Ornamental and modern art, gardens, patios, and an interior garden welcome you to a hang-out where you can check your email, do your work, have a espresso, or just hang with friends. Free wireless for those bringing in their own computers, and computers are available for rental equipt with most of what you need. Very tranquil environment, friendly staff, and good services. Chai wasn't the best, but it was the best I could find in Taos. A must visit for any techno-Gypsy or traveller. Rating: 5 stars out of 5.

The Bean: The Bean

by leafmcgowan Written Dec 26, 2005
    Front of

Kinda similar to the Bean in Las Cruces, however things are a bit different. Good service, but slow. The chai was very watered down and was not that good. They had wireless, but you have to pay $1.50 for the first hour, and second hour plus is free. With how most wireless cafes are free - its kinda strange that a shop like this would charge for it. But at least its reasonably priced. The pastry I had was really good. Rating: 3 stars out of 5. Visited 12/22/2005.

Favorite Dish: The pastries

World Cup Coffee: World Cup Coffee House

by leafmcgowan Written Dec 23, 2005

A small hole-in-the-wall coffee shop (little seating room) with organic coffee, tea, and goodies. Very musical and hip with the newest upbeat world music. I enjoyed my visit, though the chai wasn't the tastiest I've had. I'm thinking its a local brand that lacks the edge most of the more international brands have, unless its just watered-down. But enjoyed the environment. I didn't see any wireless, but I could be wrong. If you're visiting the Taos plaza, you'll enjoy dropping by for a cup o' Joe. For the coffee drinkers, it appears to be a hot spot. 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

• scargo's Profile Photo

The Stakeout: ?The Stakeout? This is NOT about detective work!

by scargo Updated Mar 5, 2005
    Stakeout in Summertime

A unique place with great atmosphere and equally good food! It is in a large, converted ranch house nestled at the base of some mountains.
    This is moderately expensive place though relaxed about attire.

Dining in this restaurant can be like being in a snow globe if it is dark and snowing-- because of the outdoor lighting. You can watch the sunset over the mountain range if you get there early enough! The steaks and seafood are excellent. You might want to make reservations in peak season periods and weekends.
    Can be very romantic! I think they have three or more fireplaces. When I was there last they had a bar and pool table in back.

Favorite Dish: Steaks. Main courses $15 to $40.

• Azonie's Profile Photo

Bent Street Deli and Cafe: Very good service and food!

by Azonie Updated Feb 6, 2005

Market square

The food here was very good with a good variety to suit anyone..Kind of hippyish atmosphere but relaxing all the same..I can't remember what we had but I do remember that we were very pleased with it all.

Favorite Dish: Can't remember what we had but it was very good.

• frantz's Profile Photo

Michaels Kitchen: Yummie Mexican food

by frantz Written Jul 26, 2004

You can go there for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. The First night i had some brilliant homemade Mexican meal. Every morning i had a great breakfast there.
    The good thing is that the ambiance is just down to earth, simple wooden tabkes a few nice pictures on the wall an a nice mix of locals, families and tourist having a nice relaxed meal. You can choose to sit down in the main dining room, the bakery or on a simple bar.

Favorite Dish: One of my favourites was for breakfast the Largest Cinnammon Roll i've ever had. Just go in the morning and drool over all the goodies in the bakery a delight just the smell of fresh pastries and than the joy when your taste buds start to get the flavor of the fantastic pastries and pancakes. Even if your just driving trough Taos just have a break and treat yourself.

Instant Answers: Taos

Comments

Taos Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Taos restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Taos sightseeing.