Taos Restaurants

Sign along the road

Best Rated Restaurants in Taos

Eske's Brew Pub: Casual and fun, and good beer too

Eske's at night

Eske’s came well recommended by Richie (richiecdisc) and was also just across the parking lot from our bed & breakfast, so it was a natural choice for an evening out – and a great one! This is a casual spot that seemed popular with locals as well as visitors to Taos, and with good reason, as both food and beer were very good. There are a couple of linked rooms, and the only tables available when we arrived were in the first room, so that’s where we settled. There are also tables outside, but October evenings in Taos are too chilly for us to have contemplated that option!

Favorite Dish: We shared some good hot salsa and chips to start with, while we sampled our first beer (the Artist Ale for both of us) and perused the menu. The beer was fresh-tasting and went well with the spicy flavour – a good meal accompaniment. From the tempting menu I chose the Green Chilli Burrito, which was stuffed with beans and cheese and smothered with a vegetable and green chilli stew – yummy! Chris was pleased to see a German favourite so went for the bratwurst with sauerkraut and mash, which he also really enjoyed.

We had no room for dessert, but of course hung around to sample more of their beers. After a taster of the Green Chilli Lager I decided that this was surprisingly good, so had a full one – and another! Meanwhile Chris was drinking, and enjoying, the Seco Stout – described as “Irish style”. Prices are reasonable, at $4.50 for a pint or $3.50 for a 10oz glass, and you can get a taster tray at $1.25 per beer, although our server was happy to bring me a taster of the Green Chilli beer for free.

Our total bill for the chips, two mains, and three beers each came to $47 including tax – very good value for a great evening out. If I lived in Taos I would come here often!!

This is my last tip; if you want you can return to my Intro page

• Beer Tasting

World Cup Coffee: Good coffee in the heart of Taos

Display in World Cup Coffee

You couldn’t get a better location in Taos than this for a friendly local coffee shop, and it would be hard to find a better selection of coffee drinks too, so the only thing this place really lacks is space. There are just a few seats on a bench outside, and a few more at a counter inside, so if you can’t secure one of these you’ll have to opt for “coffee to go” – although with the Plaza just a few steps away that’s not too bad an option. But we managed to grab a couple of those inside seats and enjoyed a relaxing brew – an iced latte for me and a cappuccino for Chris.

If you’re not a coffee drinker they also have a good selection of teas and fruit drinks so it’s a great refreshment spot whatever your taste!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Adobe Bar: A great evening!

Adobe Bar from balcony

The Taos Inn is one of two historic hotels in the centre of Taos, and has bags of character. We did consider, briefly, staying here but the budget wouldn’t stretch! However we did have a couple of good meals here, one in the Adobe Bar and one in the main restaurant (see next review). The former serves the same menu as the restaurant (as well as a simpler bistro menu), but in a more casual setting. This suited us fine, as did the fact that we could get a table immediately whereas there would have been a 30 minute wait for one in the restaurant on the evening we visited (I believe that reservations are only accepted for the restaurant, not the bar).

We found a table in a side room off the main bar, which was an attractive space and relatively quiet. Our server was very friendly and made a great recommendation on the margarita – the signature “Cowboy Buddha” was excellent!

Favorite Dish: I chose the blue corn chicken enchiladas with red chilli (as in most places, I could also have had green), Spanish rice and pinto beans. Chris had a green chilli cheeseburger which came with French fries. Portions were good, but we managed to squeeze in a shared helping of dessert – fruit cobbler with cinnamon ice cream. The margarita and a couple of beers for Chris pushed the bill up to $60 with tax and a tip, but we’d thoroughly enjoyed the meal and felt it was reasonable value for the setting, service and quality of food – and drink!

To make an evening of it, we then moved to the main part of the bar where there was live music. This was pretty full, but we secured seats up on the balcony, where we had an excellent view of all the activity below. I just had to have another Cowboy Buddha, and Chris another beer. The band were very good, playing Western and folk-influenced music which might not be my usual listening at home but fitted perfectly with the atmosphere in this historic spot. What a great evening!

• Music

Doc Martin's: Good lunch/brunch menu

by toonsarah Written Dec 27, 2011

Grilled apple and blue cheese salad

We returned to the Taos Inn on the Sunday for lunch, mainly because we liked the look of the little patio at the front of the building. But we discovered that only the limited bistro menu was served here, and as we were looking for salads which only appeared on the main brunch menu, we were directed to the restaurant, Doc Martin’s. This is quite a formal place by Taos standards, and more so than we would usually chose for lunch, but we’d been on the go all morning and were ready for the break it offered.

Favorite Dish: The brunch menu is extensive and with larger appetites I think we’d have found it difficult to choose. But we’d already had a good breakfast at La Doña Luz, and rarely eat a large lunch, so we focused on the salads. I opted for the grilled apple and blue cheese salad, which was a good plateful and pretty tasty, while Chris chose the Cobb salad, which was OK though nothing special. We both drank grapefruit juice and paid $28 with tax.

Rancho de Chimayo: Prickly Pear Lemonade

by rexvaughan Updated Jul 21, 2004

Lunch on the Patio

This remote restaurant is deservedly highly rated - some even place it in the top 100 in the US. Its dinining areas are all well lighted from the outside or actually on the patio. It is a very inviting and pleasant establishment with a very professional staff.

Favorite Dish: I had been eating Mexican food for several days so opted for trout almondine which was very well prepared and tasty. My wife and our 2 friends had New Mexican cuisine (I don't remember exactly what) and alll said it was delicious. We all had "prickly pear lemonade" which is made with cactus and found it light and refreshing. It is one of our friends' favorite places in NM. It was all topped off with sopapillas and honey - wonderful!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Orlando's: Try the Avacado Pie!

by rexvaughan Updated Jul 13, 2004

Orlando's patio

This little place does a booming business among the locals - always a good recommendation. It has a great ambience - dining on the patio in warm weather is a great experience. It is rated in various places as one of the top 5 in Taos. Entrees are generally less than $10 and the portions are large and freshly prepared.

Favorite Dish: I was very dubious about avacado pie, but one of our group ordered it and let us sample it. It was delicious and tasted very much like a really good key lime pie.
    Reservations and credit cards are not accepted.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Ogilvie's: Fantastic Enchiladas

by painterdave Updated Jul 18, 2013

The inside decor

Ogilvie's is located on the east side of the Plaza on the second floor. Go inside the shops entrance and then look for the stairs.
    This Mexican food restaurant is very clean and well kept. The wait staff is efficient and knows the menu. The tables are spread out so that you are not on top of a neighboring table. In the summer you can eat on the balcony outdoors.
    The menu listings are not numerous, so they can devote their energies to doing it right.
    Opens at 11:00.
    They have a good children's menu.
    I lived in New Mexico for many years, and I know Mexican Food. This is an exceptional restaurant. It beats any Calfornia Mexican Food Restaurant, except maybe a few in Old Town, San Diego, and is comparible to any of the best in Denver.

Favorite Dish: I recommend the blue corn enchilada stack, or the enchiladas. The beans that come with these dishes are terrific, not coming from a can, but soaked overnight and then cooked in a nice broth.
    To die for: the guacamole dip. If you like your guacamole with garlic and chile pepper this is for you!
    Unfortunately no sopapillas.
    They also have fajitas, beef or chicken
    Keep in mind that this is northern New Mexico and so the food will have a bit different salza flavor. Yes, Mexican food here is a bit different flavoring that Texas or California. Enjoy!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Eske's Brewpub: get the Fatty

by richiecdisc Written May 12, 2009

and this wasn't even the Fatty

Get the Fatty. Eske's was on my list of brewpubs to visit for a long time. It wasn't anything in particular but probably more due to inaccessibility than anything else. Much as New Mexico and Taos in particular had eluded me, Eske's had followed suit. Housed in a classic Adobe building, there is a nice outside porch for dining as well as some nooks and crannies inside. There is a very small bar which is where we sat. The bartender turned out to be from my old home state of Pennsylvania so we had lots to talk about and getting tasters was easy too. It's a casual place.

Favorite Dish: The menu is limited but we were in the mood for Southwestern fare and that they sure had. We got Wanda's Green Chile Tortilla-A whole wheat tortilla filled with beans, onions and cheddar cheese, smothered in Wanda's Green Chile Stew for $6.25. Our buddy bartender told us to get the fatty but we stupidly decided against this. Fatty sounded like some drug reference to me but we later found out it meant they stuffed the tortilla with mashed potatoes which sounds a bit odd but sure it was a lot more filling than what we got. Still, it was a fair size for the price and certainly tasty. We had the Special Bitter which was amber with a nice mix of malt and hops. It was in the English Bitter (4.6%) vein but with American hops so a bit of a cross breed. The Old Coal Porter (4.5%) was very dark with ruby highlights and dry malty palate. Taos Green Chile was a light lager with just a hint of chile, not as bad as I had expected. The Scottish Ale (6.4%) was an interesting big brother to the ESB, malty but dry and hoppy in the finish. Quite nice. The Seco Stout was a classic Dry Irish Stout. Black with tan head and bitter palate.

• Beer Tasting

Charlies Bakery & Cafe: Breakfast Anytime in Las Vegas, NM

by rexvaughan Written Jul 24, 2004

A well satisfied group

This little place has a great menu strongly, but not exclusively, geared toward Mexican cuisine. It is not fancy although attractive and the staff very accommodating and helpful. Their bakery items are prepared on the premises and our friends report that they are wonderful. They also have the full spread of coffee and cappucino drinks. They are open 7 days a week but only from 6:30 am to 5:30 pm.

Favorite Dish: They serve their breakfast dishes all day, so I had eggs and pancakes - quite delicious. The coffee was excellent.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Taos Pueblo Inhabitants: Indian taco has nothing on Mexican variety

by richiecdisc Written May 12, 2009

a bit overpriced but worth a try

I'm a big fan of trying local foods. I could come down with dysentery and be happy with a meal if I felt I was living like the locals. But with this openness to experience comes some preconceptions with regard to price. I can live with less than perfectly sanitary preparation if the price is commensurate with the hygienic level. Indian tacos sounded kind of touristy and I have to admit that paying $25 for the two of us and the camera permit to get in was already testing me. But seven dollars sounded like highway robbery for a taco but I figured when was I going to get to try this delicacy again?

Favorite Dish: We ordered one figuring that at that price it should be enough to feed two. Though it looked like a fair sized meal, once we started eating it, it became apparent it was mostly some salad with a bean type stew overtop of the homemade Indian bread, which was more like fried dough than actual bread. The bread was the best part of the taco. The rest was kind of bland and certainly in need of a lot more meat. I could have lived with the meager meat if the price was about half what it was.

The Apple Tree: Old World Charm and Wonderful Food

by rexvaughan Updated Jun 3, 2006

Almond crusted brie

The Apple Tree Restaurant is in an old building dating from 1898 It was originally constructed as a residence and then was divided into apartments but for the past 25 years has housed the restaurant. The building retains the charming character and historic atmosphere of the era. It is still a family business as we were greeted and seated by the owners' son. There is a nice small patio which features the original apple tree planted in 1903. The restaurant uses local organic produce to complement many of its entrees.

Favorite Dish: We stopped for lunch and I had Apple Tree Salad which was Romaine lettus and organic mixed greens in a honey bleu cheese dressing. It was topped with roasted walnuts, bleu cheese and dried cranberries. It was delicious and a light, but hearty lunch. My friend had warm almond crusted brie with a blackberry coulis, granny smith apples, bananas and strawberries. I enjoyed my salad but kept tossing envious glances at his plate. Others in the group had burgers or trout. We all agreed that our meal was well presented, moderately priced and delicious! High recommenda

Ogelvies Grill and Bar: Great view, good food

by rexvaughan Written Jul 13, 2004

Balcony overlooking the Plaza

This is a very popular watering hole as the balcony overlooks the town's plaza. It is indeed a great place for lunch, a late afternoon drink or dinner. The food is mostly Mexican cuisine and is quite good.

• Azonie's Profile Photo

Bent Street Deli and Cafe: Very good service and food!

by Azonie Updated Feb 6, 2005

Market square

The food here was very good with a good variety to suit anyone..Kind of hippyish atmosphere but relaxing all the same..I can't remember what we had but I do remember that we were very pleased with it all.

Favorite Dish: Can't remember what we had but it was very good.

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

The Pizza Place: They closed down the place for our family

by Sienlu Updated Aug 11, 2010

So on our little getaway to Red River, (the 50 of us) needed to find a place to eat for lunch. Not an easy task when your family is that big. Well the Pizza place behind Frye's Old town gift shops literally closed down their restaurant to accommodate us. (yes there was a sign on the door saying "closed until 6.45" for private party). I just thought that was the coolest thing without having reservations in advance.

Service was really good, Pizzas, salads and appetizers not bad at all.

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

Purple Sage Cafe: New in Taos - Loved it!

by Sienlu Updated Aug 4, 2010

This place is new in Taos, almost right across from our hotel (the Comfort Suites) on Paseo del Pueblo Sur, I noticed the Purple Sage Cafe right away, Big name in very attractive purple, cute little house, it looks from the road like a really cool place. And it is!

The inside and out is very well decorated with cool paintings, fashionable sink in the bathroom (yes I think that's cool) a patio outside with a little garden. And our waiter was really nice!

The food was AWESOME as well! lots of food for very affordable price! and it was good, we had green chile chicken avocado sandwich, sweet fries, smothered bean burrito, it was delicious.
    HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!

Favorite Dish: Sweet fries

Instant Answers: Taos

Comments

Taos Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Taos restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Taos sightseeing.