Taos Pueblo Shopping

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Morning Talk & Summer Rain: Traditional crafts

by toonsarah Updated Dec 18, 2011

Morning Talk

Several of the homes in the Pueblo have been adapted to serve as small shops, selling a variety of traditional crafts. Even if you don’t want to buy anything it is well worth popping into a few as this gives you an opportunity to see inside the ancient dwellings.

We particularly liked the Morning Talk shop, which had an interesting mix of pottery, drums (feel free to try them out – we did!), dream-catchers, jewellery and more. And I also enjoyed talking to the owner of the Summer Rain Gift Shop where the jewellery looked especially good. We didn’t buy anything at the Pueblo (I was sort-of all shopped out at this point) but I did notice that prices of Summer Rain’s jewellery in particular looked very reasonable.

What to buy: I was also tempted by the “smudges” – small bundles of cedar and sage bound with grasses that are traditionally burned in ceremonial cleansings. They have a lovely scent and would be wonderful to toss on a fire at Christmas, or simply to leave in a bowl like pot-pourri. I do rather regret not buying a couple, especially as they only cost a few dollars.

This is the end of our tour; you can return to my intro page

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Various places: Crafts of the Pueblo

by goodfish Updated Sep 5, 2011
    Shop, Taos Pueblo

As I mentioned, some of the houses have been turned into shops and all of the items sold are (supposedly) handcrafted by area tribal peoples. Among the offerings are leatherworks, jewelry, drums, photos and artwork, horno-baked bread and the pueblo's own particular style of pottery. Prices range from a little to a lot and not all vendors take credit cards so come with some cash if intending to buy. My favorites are the smudges: small, bound bundles of cedar and sage that are traditionally burned in ceremonial cleansings. They only cost a few dollars and smell heavenly - I put them in a bowl when I get home and they make the house smell like the Southwest for a few weeks!

Shops will be clearly marked with items displayed outside and/or (unfortunately) signs so that tourists can differentiate between public spaces and private dwellings they should not enter. And do carefully inspect the merchandise before you buy as I'm seeing some mentions of some "Made in..." labels being scratched out: make sure the item is authentic.

• Architecture

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo

Morning Talk Indian Shop: Handmade Indian Crafts

by Katmosphere Written Sep 5, 2006

This shop is worth stopping in if you make it to the Pueblo!! There was beautiful jewelry, Drums, Moccasins, blankets, pottery, woodcarvings, and other really great things.

What to buy: I especially loved the jewelry!

What to pay: about average

Instant Answers: Taos Pueblo

Comments

Taos Pueblo Shopping

Reviews and photos of Taos Pueblo shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Taos Pueblo sightseeing.