Binghamton Off The Beaten Path

pond with geese
    by kooka3
    path through the pine forest
    View across the dam

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Binghamton

• kooka3's Profile Photo

Well, technically ON the path . . .

by kooka3 Written Jul 4, 2004

If you want a place to take a walk or a run, try out your roller blades, or ride your bike, try the Rail Trail in Vestal. It's a flat, paved pathway that runs for 3 miles. There are markings every 1/4 mile, so you know how far you've gone. (The bridge is about 1.5 miles in).

It's right off the Vestal Pkwy (Route 434) near the route 26 interchange. Turn off of the Pkwy onto African Road (which runs between Walmart and Old Navy. There's a small parking lot there and you're ready to go!

• Hiking and Walking

• kooka3's Profile Photo

Finch Hollow Nature Center

by kooka3 Written May 26, 2004

View across the dam

If you are looking for a nice walk, a place to take the kids to learn about nature, or want a place to have a picnic, try Finch Hollow. There is a small Natural History center/museum with people who will answer questions. THere is also an easy walk of about 1 mile which takes you through a field, over a stream, around a pond, through a pine forest, and over a dam. There is a bit of a hill to start and finish, but other than that, it's fairly flat. There are a couple small muddy areas (plan on mud even a few days after a heavy rain!) and one place where you have to get across the a stream - they do have rocks strategically placed, but 1 was missing (or they weren't done??) so it got a little wet! THe trails are open during daylight hours; the museum is open set hours so call before you go. Dogs are allowed in the park as long as they are leashed. Picnic tables are by the main building.

Finch Hollow is at 1394 Oakdale Road, about 2 miles from the Oakdale Mall. 729-4231.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Birdwatching

• My friends got together and...

by DAHammitt Written Aug 26, 2002

My friends got together and took me out for a day of relaxation recently that was great! We started with a hike up South Mountain,past the old gate house(theres lots of history here)and had a picnic lunch with a view towards the top.
    After spending most of the day with nature,we made our way to our cars and met back at one of my friends homes,where we have spedie sandwiches.Spedies from the char-pit....yum!Definitely a Binghamton treat.
    Just as I helped finish cleaning up someone from pampered pedicures showed up and we all settled in for facials and pedicures.(greatly needed after our hike today) Wow...now I'm ready for a nap.
    But before its time to go home we hit ponchos pit for dessert.This place is great...I've been going there since I was a little kid.Definitely one of Binghamtons little treasures.

Instant Answers: Binghamton

Comments

Binghamton Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Binghamton off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Binghamton sightseeing.