Bronx Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Bronx

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Trip to Yankee Stadium

by travelfrosch Written Sep 20, 2008

Fondest memory: We were able to visit Yankee Stadium on the second-to-last regular season game ever played here. "The House that (Babe) Ruth Built," or as Red Sox fans say, "The House that was Built for Ruth," will be torn down after the end of the season. Either way, it will undoubtedly go down in history is one of the "Cathedrals of Baseball." The home of the most successful Major League Baseball franchise in the 20th Century (and one of the most successful teams in the history of modern sports) for 85 years, Yankee Stadium has seen its share of unparalleled moments.

We came here on a Saturday afternoon to see the Yankees play the Baltimore Orioles. Sara was able to get us some excellent tickets in the upper deck directly behind home plate for a (relatively) reasonable price. While the game itself won't go down in history as one of the best games ever played, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We left at the end of the 8th Inning, when the score was till 0-0 and after Mariano Rivera (arguably the best Relief Pitcher ever) was announced as coming into the game. We knew the outcome would almost certainly be a Yankee win, and we'd be much happier getting a head start on the traffic. Sure enough, we got out of the Bronx in time, and sure enough, the Yankees ended up winning, 1-0. Still, even I reluctantly admit the end was fitting.

Sara at Yankee Stadium Yankee Stadium The Windup and the Pitch... Just One Game Left! New Stadium (

• cjg1's Profile Photo

BK. A Yankee at heart?

by cjg1 Updated Oct 6, 2006

Fondest memory: In honor of BK blowing yet another save at Yankee stadium monday I have dug up this pic of his first blown save at the stadium. I dont usually get personal here on VT but I really have to say BK is moving his way up my fondest memories of the Bronx each time he comes back. Especially now that he is blowing saves for the red sox.

Two late inning HRs by BK,  Game 4 2001.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

A view of the neighborhood

by cjg1 Updated Oct 6, 2006

Favorite thing: This is a random shot of a street in my neighborhood. I had to park a couple blocks away one afternoon and decided to share a little of where I live with all of you. It honestly reminds me of my time in Karlsruhe.

Random street in the neighborhood

Bronx Zoo

by seagoingJLW Updated Mar 14, 2003

Favorite thing: This is a must. This extensive area has animals exhibited in native habitats.

When my children were young we used to be members of the zoo. They run magnificent programs for children. We went to many "Breakfasts with the Animals." My kids participated in (and won) many "scavenger" hunts, which consisted of locating animals within the park.

They used to have a really great time. If you live in the New York City area, join and your kids will have a ball.

Fondest memory: The zoo is located at Southern Boulevard and 182 Street to Fordham Road and the Bronx River Parkway in the Bronx.

For information phone:
    718-367-1010

Zoo Entrance
    • Zoo

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Yankee Match

by barryg23 Written Sep 8, 2002

Fondest memory: Though our seats were quite high up, we still had a great view of home base. This was the first time i had gone to a baseball game and i wasn't expecting too much - being brought up on soccer, hurling, rugby and tennis had given me disdain for American sports - shame on me :)
    Boy, was i wrong. There were 3 home runs in the first innings and lots of excitement. The game was so good I almost forgot to go get beer and hot-dogs! For the record the Yankess beat Texas Rangers 9-7.

Bronx Botanical Gardens

by seagoingJLW Updated Mar 14, 2003

Favorite thing: This is another spectacular place to visit.

Fondest memory: This is also located at Fordham Road and the Bronx River Parkway across the street from the zoo. For information phone:
    718-817-8700

Botanical Gardens
    • Eco-Tourism

City Island

by seagoingJLW Written Nov 23, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit City Island, a small town in the middle of a big city. there are great restaurant, museums and charter boats for hire. Enjoy the change of pace.

City Island
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Bronx

Comments

Bronx Favorites

Reviews and photos of Bronx favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bronx sightseeing.