Bronx Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by Gypsystravels
    Our burgers, veggie and regular burgers
  • Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bronx

El Nuevo Coqui Restaurant: Good Puerto Rican Food - CLOSED

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 29, 2015

This is my favorite Puerto Rican restaurant here in the Bronx. It is very small hole in the wall place with the namesake "Coqui" everywhere you turn. It's a bit kitshy but who cares when the food is this good. There are a few tables in the back with a juke box blaring Spanish songs. You can either check out the display case and order something from the hot burners, or order directly from the menu.

They serve your typical Puerto Rican dishes of rice, beans, and the meats flavored with the all important "sofrito"!!

They have the typical Spanish drinks like the Malt India, juices made of Puerto Rican fruits, beers or drinks.

Favorite Dish: OMG, I love their "pernil" a roasted pork shoulder with its signature "sofrito" seasoning with a bit of white rice, pink beans, tostones and beer to wash it down.

Their "sancocho" a thick vegatable and meat stew is excellent. They also have the fried "hand" foods like the "empanadas", "alcapurias", "relleno de papa", pork rinds...wow, so much to choose from.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Hawaii Sea Restaurant: Chinese & more (CLOSED)

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 29, 2015

Whenever we're in the mood for some really good Chinese/Sushi place with some killer drinks we come here. Their pu-pu platers are outrageous and so is their chicken or shrimp teriyaki!! If its sushi you want, try their boat, with a variety of sushi and sashimi!!

Favorite Dish: Start with the pu-pu platter, and definitely order one of their drinks...the Witch Doctor will definitely take away what ails you!

Bronx Burger House: Veggie burger is amazing

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 13, 2015

I visit my sister once a week. If we visit on a Friday we usually like to grab dinner, drinks and catch up with the weeks events. The Bronx Burger House is one of her and her husband's favorite place. They specialize in burgers, but they also have a larger range of other dishes like chicken, ribs, salads, sandwiches, fajitas, pulled pork, and a few others. But most people come here for the burgers. Whenever we come here I get the veggie burger or stick with a salad, but my darling loves their large selection of burgers and so does my sister and brother in law.

The restaurant is on the small side and as you enter you walk up a flight of steps and into the restaurant. There is a very small bar and about 20 tables total, very small and you may have to wait for a table depending on the time you arrive.

We've been here a few times and we usually don't have to wait for a table for more than 5 or 10 minutes. During our last visit we were seated as soon as we arrived and handed our menus. They have a nice selection of beers, which is a big hit with the guys.

I've only had their salads and veggie burgers, but my darling has had various different burgers, and his favorite is Spencer burger, Portobello burger and the turkey burger being his favorite. Service and prices are very reasonable and the atmosphere always friendly and warm.

This is a great place for me to come to enjoy a good veggie burger whenever we're in the neighborhood.

They offer happy hour specials and Sunday Bruch.

Favorite Dish: The veggie burger is quite tasting and I enjoy having it whenever I feel like a burger, my darling enjoys their Spencer burger which he says is quite juicy and tasty, he enjoys the onion rings or fries with his burger. I've had the chopped salad which is quite good whenever I don't want a burger.

Prices are reasonable.

My dariling waiting for his burger My darling's burger and onion rings Our burgers, veggie and regular burgers John's vanilla milkshake

Connaughton's Riverdale Steakhouse: Always good food

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 27, 2015

This is an Irish Steakhouse in all its glory. Located here in the Upper Riverdale section of the Bronx, this restaurant bar has been around since 1979 and has consistently served great meals.

My sister has lived in Riverdale for over 26 years and the steakhouse has hosted many of our family gatherings including many Mother's Days, Father's Days, birthdays and graduation. It can accommodate large groups as long as you call ahead of time.

They have a large selection of dishes to suit anyone including seafood and fish dishes but its for their wonderful "meat" that you should come here for. They have a pretty large selection of meats that are "butchered" on the premises. I love their filet mignon and their porter house steak are so good

This is a restaurant I would definitely recommend for a large group gathering.

Recently while visiting sister we decided to stop in and have an early lunch. The food is always good, the ower quite friendly and the best part is the price of the meal, very affordable!

Favorite Dish: Try their filet mignon cooked to your liking with your choice of mashed, baked or french fries or rice pilaf with assorted veggies. I had the Porterhouse again, a huge piece of meat cooked just how I like it with backed potato and veggies, YUM!!.

Or, if meat isn't what you would like, try one their fish dishes like the Deep Fried Breaded Filet of Sole, with tartar sauce or their Sea Scallops Dijon, grilled scallops seasoned with dijon mustard, both very delicious and amazing!!

Their burgers are absolutely deliscous and I'd definitely recommend it if you're in the mood for a burger.

Definitely have a glass of their Guinnes Stout and don't forget dessert. Ferni and I enjoyed their delicious truffle, chocolate ice cream with cocoa powder and hazelnuts....quite yummy indeed!

Porterhouse with veggies and potato Filet mignon Yummy truffle dessert

Umbertos Clam House: Umberto's Clam House

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 27, 2015

Umberto's Clam House is an Italian seafood restaurants located here in the Little Italy section of the Bronx on Arthur Avenue. They specialize in Italian seafood dishes but if you aren't in the mood for seafood they also have your typical Italian dishes. They have a pretty big selection of appetizers, salads, pastas, salads, fish, meats and poultry to satify anyone.

Recently while visiting the Botanical Gardens with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson we decided to have dinner at Umbertos.

The restaurant is decorated with a nautical theme and they tables can accommodate large parties. They have 3 large screen tv's and according to what the waiter told me, they have live entertainment every Saturday night.

During the warm months you can eat your meal al-fresco in their outdoor seating area.

It's definitely a great place to come have a meal any time of the day!!

Favorite Dish: As appetizers I love their friend calamari, yum, taste so good not rubbery. Their baked clams as just as delicious and so is their grilled octopus and their mozzarella tomato basil.

Their seafood salad is excellent so is their lobster bique. I love their lobster raviloi which is emersed in a wine sauce with bits of lobster and their mussels with linguine is a mussel lovers dish. They pile the mussels high over the pasta with a choice of mild, medium or hot sauces.

During our recent visit we ordered the baked clams for the table. My son-in-law had the seafood salad, my daughter the mussels with linguine and I had the lobster raviloi, YUM! I had a glass of pinot grigio with my meal and it was so delicious!!

Store front Baked clams My daughter's mussels Son-in-law's seafood salad

Sabrosura: Excellent Spanish-Chinese food

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 27, 2015

My sister's and I were in the neighborhood and decided to check this place out. I've never seen such an extensive menu with so many variations of dishes. This is a Spanish & Chinese restaruant that is not an infusion of both dishes rather they serve both Spanish and Chinese dishes.

There were so many different dishes to pick from that we had a hard time deciding. Dishes range from Spanish rice, beans, grilled meats, fish, seafood, mofongo, tostones, rotissere chicken, fried rice, bento boxes, just to name a few items. The restaurant gets very, very crowded and its a cash only restaurant. Prices are super affordable, starting from $9.95 for a full meal which includes a meat selection and some sides.

We were hungry and so overwhelmed with what to eat, but we settled for two appetizers of the "copitas de tostones" which are fried plantain molded into a cup and filled with your choice of meat, seafood or vegatables.

For our meal we all decided that the Bento Box was the best choice with a sampling of rice, beans, salad, choice of meat, choice of patty and mofongo.

They serve beers, sangria, sodas and fruity drinks (no alcohol).

Favorite Dish: We ordered the cupitas de tostones with crab meat and with fried meat and bento boxes which included rice, beans, salad, patty (mine was crab), meat (I ordered the shrimp creole, my cousin had the ribs, my sister the steak), with mofongo, YUM.

The prices were great. The tostones were about $8.95 and our bento boxes were $12.95. pitcher of Sangria was $16.95.

Copitas de tostones Bento Box Menu Menu Menu

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Dino's Pizzeria: Excellent Pizza and lots more!

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 27, 2015

Dino's is the local pizza/restaurant here in Riverdale very close to my sister's home. It's a small place with a few tables to eat in if you so desire, but the majority of patrons usually take their food to go. They make a variety of pizzas, sandwiches, pasta, salads, calzones, mozzarella sticks, calamari, fries, and a few other items.

Dino's is just one of the many places we will order from whenever we are visiting my sister. Their pizza's are the best in the area, (they have gluten free as well), their entrees are always made fresh and I can always ask that they make my pasta the way I want with the sauce I prefer and with the veggies I like.

If you decide to eat it you can even enjoy a glass of wine

Favorite Dish: The eggplant is a favorite of mine, whether in a sandwich or with pasta. The shrimp francese is very nice with just enough wine and lemon sauce. My sister and her family enjoy their pizzas, which they say are really good. John likes the eggplant rollatini, veal cutlet, chicken marsala and chicken saltimbocca all with penne, spaghetti or rigatoni.

Anything you eat here is sure to be fresh and delicious.

Tokyo House - A Japanese Restaurant: Dinner to celebrate my sister's Birthday

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 13, 2013

Riverdale is blessed with a few good restaurants, and Tokyo House is one of them. My family enjoys Japanese food and this is just down the road from their home.

We've been here a few times and most recently we were here to enjoy a nice meal while celebrating Linda's birthday.

The restaurant is small, with about 10 tables and a section where you can have a larger party like we had (8 of us). There is a really nice sushi bar where your sushi is prepared fresh with fresh ingredients (as I am told, since I don't like sushi).

As you are seated you are given a menu which is quite extensive. They have the usual times you find in any Japanese restaurant with sushi and sashimi being their largest. The waiter places endame on a "comunal" plate to be shared with everyone.

Most of the combinations dishes come with miso soup and salad and the prices are quite good.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the seafood teriyaki which is a combination of grilled salmon, lobster and scallops with a side of either brown or white rice. My sister had the teriyaki chicken and my niece and Ferni usually order the teriyaki steak.

My daughter, her husband, my brother-in-law and my nephew will always order a combination of sushi and sashimi which they always rave about.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Full Moon Pizzeria: Make Your Own and Dine Outside

by atufft Updated Nov 3, 2013

It seems like a corporate run operation, but locals staff the joint. Line up and point to the type of pizza you like, add additional toppings, and then reheat in the pizza oven. That's the system. There's indoor seating with a wall of glass that allows people watching, but then during warm weather at least, you can also eat on the sidewalk outside. When I was there, I got a couple slices of cheese, broccoli and bell pepper, then added sardines. I was very full. One slice would have been enough. Urban Spoon and Yelp review this place too.

After eating the pizza, I sat and smoked a freshly hand rolled cigar that I bought just down the street.

Full Moon Pizza in Little Italy, Bronx, NYC

Golden Phoenix Chinese Restaurant: Excellent Chinese take-out

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

This Chinese restaurant is a great place for take away. I love their fried rice which is excellent and made with the long grain rice instead of the short grain. They have a few scattered tables if you want to eat your meal here, but we usually order and take it away.

They make your food to order and especially on Friday nights you'll see plenty of people waiting for their order outside.

Favorite Dish: The have your typical Chinese dishes with an assorted fish, meat, chicken and vegatable items. The Egg fried rice is my favorite as well as general tsao's chicken, beef with broccoli, chicken cashew, shrip with cashews and orange chicken, vegable dishes.

Caridad Restaurant: Cheap Spanish food

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Caridad Restaurant is chain restaurant with some really cheap and good Spanish food. The region is Dominican which is close to Puerto Rican dishes, which makes it a good choice for me especially since it is so rare to find a Puerto Rican restauant in the Bronx these days. You can eat your meal at the restaurant, or take it away.

The restaurants usually have the display cases with meals they cook for the daily specials and for quick turn around. The staple foods are the white, yellow or mixed rice, with any of their meats which include either roasted chicken, beef stew, chicken stew, fried pork, ribs, cod salad.

Favorite Dish: Order one of their specials (called a "Lunch") which includes a choice of rice, beans and meat all for the amazing price of about $4.95-$6.95, depending on location.

I love their "sancocho" a think stew with meat and vegatables. The white rice and pink beans with either their "pollo guisado" (a chicken stew), or their "carne frita" are usually what I order for take out.

If I am eating at the restaurant, I will either order the "bistec encebollado" (steak & onions) or the pork chops.

Joe's Place: Caribbean/Puerto Rican Cuisine

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Joe's Place is owned by the well known Spanish Chef, Joe Torres. The food is Caribbean/Puerto Rican with some really nice dishes to choose from.

The restaurant is really nice and has a separate bar/loung where you can enjoy you mixed drinks or beers. The main dining area is really nice and the waiters are friendly. As for the food, well, honestly for the prices, I have had better. I normally don't complain about a meal, but the meats just didn't taste right to me, maybe I was expecting more of typical Puerto Rican taste.

Overall I would say that the restaurant was just okay, nothing exceptional or exciting.

Favorite Dish: I've had their "bistec encebollado" which also included peppers that changed the whole taste of the meat. The rice is quite good and so were the beans. Ferni had the "chicarron de pollo", it's boneless deep fried pieces of chicken, and the meat was dry and not so tasty.

Their drinks are on the heavy side. If you order a mixed drink they will give you lots of liquor.

Madison's: Chilean Sea Bass

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Madison's is a place our family comes to when we're celebrating either a birthday, graduation, confirmation or any other special occassion. The restuarant is nice, cozy serving northern Italian dishes that are excellent. The restaurant is located in the Upper Riverdale section of the Bronx in a nice residential area.

Favorite Dish: My favorite has to be the Chilean Sea Bass (I know its endangered, but it is so yummy), also try their Black Angus Steak, cooked to perfection.

De Lillo Pastry Shoppe: De Lillo Pastry Shoppe

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

This is your typical little bakery shoppe here in Little Italy that has all your favorites. We had just had dinner and wanted something sweet like a gelato or a cake and we decided to come in and pick something up for the ride back home.

The bakery is pretty small and their selections were a bit limited and I believe more so because of the time of day. I settled on a "lobster tail" and Kris had a hazelnut gelato.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a lobster tail and Kris ordered the hazelnut gelato.

Yummy cakes in the display case Small store front

Tiny's Pizza & Pasta: Nothing tiny about their servings

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

This place is located just a few blocks from my cousin's office. She had raved about the large portions which can be shared and still have more than enough to each take home, so while I was dropping some papers off at the courthouse, we decided to meet and have lunch here.

This pizza place/restaurant is really a small "hole in the wall" place which is basically only frequented by individuals who happen to work or live in the area. There are about 6 tables total, a super small counter and then the kitchen behind the counter.

It gets really crowded during lunch hours, so we decided on what we wanted and called the order ahead. As we arrived we were seated, given some yummy warm bread and asked for our drink order.

The service is excellent, the food yummy and such large portions that I would say it's probably better to share an entree.

The place serves your typical pizza, hot Italian sandwiches, wraps, burgers, baked dishes like lasagna and of course their pasta dishes ranging from fettucci, spagetti, ziti, linguini, penne and rigatoni, with your choice of sauces like my favorite, vodka or bolognese.

Prices are very reasonable, for a baked item like lasagna its 8.00 and for our meal, the penne a la vodka with chicken it was $9.45.
    I'd definitely recommend this place and am actually looking forward to coming back soon :)

Favorite Dish: Because the orders are quite huge, we decided to share a dish. We ordered the penne a la vodka with chicken, it was so, so good!

My cousin and I both had a nice helping and then we both even took a doggy bag home. I really wish I would have had my camera with me.

Instant Answers: Bronx

Comments

Bronx Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bronx restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bronx sightseeing.