Bronx Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bronx

Tokyo House - A Japanese Restaurant: Dinner to celebrate my sister's Birthday

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 13, 2013

Riverdale is blessed with a few good restaurants, and Tokyo House is one of them. My family enjoys Japanese food and this is just down the road from their home.

We've been here a few times and most recently we were here to enjoy a nice meal while celebrating Linda's birthday.

The restaurant is small, with about 10 tables and a section where you can have a larger party like we had (8 of us). There is a really nice sushi bar where your sushi is prepared fresh with fresh ingredients (as I am told, since I don't like sushi).

As you are seated you are given a menu which is quite extensive. They have the usual times you find in any Japanese restaurant with sushi and sashimi being their largest. The waiter places endame on a "comunal" plate to be shared with everyone.

Most of the combinations dishes come with miso soup and salad and the prices are quite good.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the seafood teriyaki which is a combination of grilled salmon, lobster and scallops with a side of either brown or white rice. My sister had the teriyaki chicken and my niece and Ferni usually order the teriyaki steak.

My daughter, her husband, my brother-in-law and my nephew will always order a combination of sushi and sashimi which they always rave about.

Umbertos Clam House: Umberto's Clam House

Store front

Umberto's Clam House is an Italian seafood restaurants located here in the Little Italy section of the Bronx on Arthur Avenue. They specialize in Italian seafood dishes but if you aren't in the mood for seafood they also have your typical Italian dishes. They have a pretty big selection of appetizers, salads, pastas, salads, fish, meats and poultry to satify anyone.

Recently while visiting the Botanical Gardens with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson we decided to have dinner at Umbertos.

The restaurant is decorated with a nautical theme and they tables can accommodate large parties. They have 3 large screen tv's and according to what the waiter told me, they have live entertainment every Saturday night.

During the warm months you can eat your meal al-fresco in their outdoor seating area.

It's definitely a great place to come have a meal any time of the day!!

Favorite Dish: As appetizers I love their friend calamari, yum, taste so good not rubbery. Their baked clams as just as delicious and so is their grilled octopus and their mozzarella tomato basil.

Their seafood salad is excellent so is their lobster bique. I love their lobster raviloi which is emersed in a wine sauce with bits of lobster and their mussels with linguine is a mussel lovers dish. They pile the mussels high over the pasta with a choice of mild, medium or hot sauces.

During our recent visit we ordered the baked clams for the table. My son-in-law had the seafood salad, my daughter the mussels with linguine and I had the lobster raviloi, YUM!! I had a glass of pinot grigio with my meal and it was so delicious!!

Sabrosura: Excellent Spanish-Chinese food

Copitas de tostones

My sister's and I were in the neighborhood and decided to check this place out. I've never seen such an extensive menu with so many variations of dishes. This is a Spanish & Chinese restaruant that is not an infusion of both dishes rather they serve both Spanish and Chinese dishes.

There were so many different dishes to pick from that we had a hard time deciding. Dishes range from Spanish rice, beans, grilled meats, fish, seafood, mofongo, tostones, rotissere chicken, fried rice, bento boxes, just to name a few items. The restaurant gets very, very crowded and its a cash only restaurant. Prices are super affordable, starting from $9.95 for a full meal which includes a meat with sides.

We were hungry and so overwhelmed with what to eat, but we settled for two appetizers of the "copitas de tostones" which are fried plantain molded into a cup and filled with your choice of meat, seafood or vegatables.

For our meal we all decided that the Bento Box was the best choice with a sampling of rice, beans, salad, choice of meat, choice of patty and mofongo.

They serve beers, sangria, sodas and fruity drinks (no alcohol).

Favorite Dish: We ordered the cupitas de tostones with crab meat and with fried meat and bento boxes which included rice, beans, salad, patty (mine was crab), meat (I ordered the shrimp creole, my cousin had the ribs, my sister the steak), with mofongo, YUM.

The prices were great. The tostones were about $8.95 and our bento boxes were $12.95. pitcher of Sangria was $16.95.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Full Moon Pizzeria: Make Your Own and Dine Outside

by atufft Updated Nov 3, 2013
    Full Moon Pizza in Little Italy, Bronx, NYC

It seems like a corporate run operation, but locals staff the joint. Line up and point to the type of pizza you like, add additional toppings, and then reheat in the pizza oven. That's the system. There's indoor seating with a wall of glass that allows people watching, but then during warm weather at least, you can also eat on the sidewalk outside. When I was there, I got a couple slices of cheese, broccoli and bell pepper, then added sardines. I was very full. One slice would have been enough. Urban Spoon and Yelp review this place too.

After eating the pizza, I sat and smoked a freshly hand rolled cigar that I bought just down the street.

Golden Phoenix Chinese Restaurant: Excellent Chinese take-out

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

This Chinese restaurant is a great place for take away. I love their fried rice which is excellent and made with the long grain rice instead of the short grain. They have a few scattered tables if you want to eat your meal here, but we usually order and take it away.

They make your food to order and especially on Friday nights you'll see plenty of people waiting for their order outside.

Favorite Dish: The have your typical Chinese dishes with an assorted fish, meat, chicken and vegatable items. The Egg fried rice is my favorite as well as general tsao's chicken, beef with broccoli, chicken cashew, shrip with cashews and orange chicken, vegable dishes.

Caridad Restaurant: Cheap Spanish food

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Caridad Restaurant is chain restaurant with some really cheap and good Spanish food. The region is Dominican which is close to Puerto Rican dishes, which makes it a good choice for me especially since it is so rare to find a Puerto Rican restauant in the Bronx these days. You can eat your meal at the restaurant, or take it away.

The restaurants usually have the display cases with meals they cook for the daily specials and for quick turn around. The staple foods are the white, yellow or mixed rice, with any of their meats which include either roasted chicken, beef stew, chicken stew, fried pork, ribs, cod salad.

Favorite Dish: Order one of their specials (called a "Lunch") which includes a choice of rice, beans and meat all for the amazing price of about $4.95-$6.95, depending on location.

I love their "sancocho" a think stew with meat and vegatables. The white rice and pink beans with either their "pollo guisado" (a chicken stew), or their "carne frita" are usually what I order for take out.

If I am eating at the restaurant, I will either order the "bistec encebollado" (steak & onions) or the pork chops.

Joe's Place: Caribbean/Puerto Rican Cuisine

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Joe's Place is owned by the well known Spanish Chef, Joe Torres. The food is Caribbean/Puerto Rican with some really nice dishes to choose from.

The restaurant is really nice and has a separate bar/loung where you can enjoy you mixed drinks or beers. The main dining area is really nice and the waiters are friendly. As for the food, well, honestly for the prices, I have had better. I normally don't complain about a meal, but the meats just didn't taste right to me, maybe I was expecting more of typical Puerto Rican taste.

Overall I would say that the restaurant was just okay, nothing exceptional or exciting.

Favorite Dish: I've had their "bistec encebollado" which also included peppers that changed the whole taste of the meat. The rice is quite good and so were the beans. Ferni had the "chicarron de pollo", it's boneless deep fried pieces of chicken, and the meat was dry and not so tasty.

Their drinks are on the heavy side. If you order a mixed drink they will give you lots of liquor.

Madison's: Chilean Sea Bass

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Madison's is a place our family comes to when we're celebrating either a birthday, graduation, confirmation or any other special occassion. The restuarant is nice, cozy serving northern Italian dishes that are excellent. The restaurant is located in the Upper Riverdale section of the Bronx in a nice residential area.

Favorite Dish: My favorite has to be the Chilean Sea Bass (I know its endangered, but it is so yummy), also try their Black Angus Steak, cooked to perfection.

De Lillo Pastry Shoppe: De Lillo Pastry Shoppe

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Yummy cakes in the display case

This is your typical little bakery shoppe here in Little Italy that has all your favorites. We had just had dinner and wanted something sweet like a gelato or a cake and we decided to come in and pick something up for the ride back home.

The bakery is pretty small and their selections were a bit limited and I believe more so because of the time of day. I settled on a "lobster tail" and Kris had a hazelnut gelato.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a lobster tail and Kris ordered the hazelnut gelato.

Tiny's Pizza & Pasta: Nothing tiny about their servings

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

This place is located just a few blocks from my cousin's office. She had raved about the large portions which can be shared and still have more than enough to each take home, so while I was dropping some papers off at the courthouse, we decided to meet and have lunch here.

This pizza place/restaurant is really a small "hole in the wall" place which is basically only frequented by individuals who happen to work or live in the area. There are about 6 tables total, a super small counter and then the kitchen behind the counter.

It gets really crowded during lunch hours, so we decided on what we wanted and called the order ahead. As we arrived we were seated, given some yummy warm bread and asked for our drink order.

The service is excellent, the food yummy and such large portions that I would say it's probably better to share an entree.

The place serves your typical pizza, hot Italian sandwiches, wraps, burgers, baked dishes like lasagna and of course their pasta dishes ranging from fettucci, spagetti, ziti, linguini, penne and rigatoni, with your choice of sauces like my favorite, vodka or bolognese.

Prices are very reasonable, for a baked item like lasagna its 8.00 and for our meal, the penne a la vodka with chicken it was $9.45.
    I'd definitely recommend this place and am actually looking forward to coming back soon :)

Favorite Dish: Because the orders are quite huge, we decided to share a dish. We ordered the penne a la vodka with chicken, it was so, so good!

My cousin and I both had a nice helping and then we both even took a doggy bag home. I really wish I would have had my camera with me.

Parrilla Latina: Good and inexpensive Spanish food

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013
    Bistic cebollado (flank steak with onions)

Parilla Latina is a typical Spanish restaurant serving quick, inexpensive dishes. They have a nice size dinning area with a bar and a stage for live performances on evening weekends.

As you enter the restuarant you'll see a display case to the right with items that are cooked daily and usually part of their daily special. If you are taking your meal to go, you can place your order here, if not, you'll be seated by a hostess.

The menu is quite extensive with all sorts of typical Spanish dishes. All sorts of rices, beans, meats, fish, mofongo amd rotissere chicken will be on the menu.

The food is fresh, quite yummy and not expensive at all. Service is a hit or miss if it's busy, so don't come in a rush if you're dinning in.

Favorite Dish: The mofongo is quite good and so are their rices. Ferni likes their boneless chicken chunks. Linda like their rotissere chicken and bistic with onions.

Connaughton's Riverdale Steakhouse: Steaks and much more

My delicious Porterhouse

This is an Irish Steakhouse in all its glory. Located here in the Upper Riverdale section of the Bronx, this restaurant bar has been around since 1979 and has consistently served great meals.

My sister has lived in Riverdale for over 26 years and the steakhouse has hosted many of our family gatherings including many Mother's Days, Father's Days, birthdays and graduation. It can accommodate large groups as long as you call ahead of time.

They have a large selection of dishes to suit anyone including seafood and fish dishes but its for their wonderful "meat" that you should come here for. They have a pretty large selection of meats that are "butchered" on the premises. I love their filet mignon and their porter house steak are so good

This is a restaurant I would definitely recommend for a large group gathering.

Recently while visiting with my sister Ferni and I decided to have a good steak dinner here. The food is always good, the ower quite friendly and the best part is the price of the meal, very affordable!

Favorite Dish: Try their filet mignon cooked to your liking with your choice of mashed, baked or french fries or rice pilaf with assorted veggies. I had the Porterhouse again, a huge piece of meat cooked just how I like it with backed potato and veggies, YUM!!.

Or, if meat isn't what you would like, try one their fish dishes like the Deep Fried Breaded Filet of Sole, with tartar sauce or their Sea Scallops Dijon, grilled scallops seasoned with dijon mustard, both very delicious and amazing!!

Their burgers are absolutely deliscous and I'd definitely recommend it if you're in the mood for a burger.

Definitely have a glass of their Guinnes Stout and don't forget dessert. Ferni and I enjoyed their delicious truffle, chocolate ice cream with cocoa powder and hazelnuts....quite yummy indeed!

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Tin Marin Tapas Restaurant & Bar: Seek and you shall find

by BLewJay Updated Jun 4, 2013

On the recommendation from our waiter at a different establishment, we headed off to the Riverdale area of the Bronx in search of a tapas restaurant. She couldn't remember the name of the place but we used our online resources to find the location. As we drove along Riverdale Ave., we heard the sounds of music and laughter coming from this one location, so we parked the car, walked up the street and found Tin Marin Tapas Restaurant & Bar. As we entered, we were immediately greeted with a warm welcome and seated at a table. People having a good time, eating, drinking, talking as well as watching TV. Ah yes, this is nice!!! The portions are nice size and easily shared between people and is a place we will happily return to.

Favorite Dish: For dinner we shared the Mejillones en Cava (Prince Edward Island mussels steamed in cava with garlic, shallots & roasted red peppers), Papas Rellenas De Queso (golden crispy baby yukon potatoes stuffed with manchego cheese topped with an herb aioli), Gambas Al Ajillo (Spain's most famous tapas, delicious shrimp sautéed in a spicy herb and garlic cream sauce) and Chorizo (Spanish chorizo sautéed with shallots in white wine topped with crispy golden panko bread crumbs) tapas. To go along with this, we had two glasses of delicious Sangria.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Bronx Alehouse: Great Bronx Brewpub (seriously)

by travelfrosch Updated May 21, 2013
    Inside the pub

Here's a place in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx that has amazing beer and pub grub. While we tried to organize a VT meet here, most attendees backed out at the last minute. But Pam made her way across town to join Sara, Minifrosch, and me for a nice lunch on a Saturday afternoon. While I wouldn't go as far as to say the place is family-friendly, it is not a problem to bring young children along during lunchtime hours. Do be aware there are no high chairs, however (though manager Brian did offer in jest to secure Minifrosch to a chair with duct tape; I should note Mommy was not amused). As it turned out, after a few minutes of wandering around the place, the little guy got tired and slept in his stroller through the entire meal. Given the loud noise all around, we were most impressed.

Favorite Dish: While certain VT members would not approve of my writing this tip, this place specializes in high quality burgers, along with well-crafted sandwiches and other pub grub. I went for an excellent burger with bleu cheese and bacon, while Pam decided to go for the "Alehouse Burger," a 1/2 pound beef patty topped with BBQ pork, cole slaw, and onion rings with a side of sweet potato french fries. Sara decided to try their nachos, which were so huge even she was unable to finish it with her amazing metabolism.

Over a dozen beers are offered on tap at any given time, though most selections change from time to time. Among the beers normally available: Weihenstephan hefeweizen, Gaffel Kölsch, Guinness, and Buepoint Toasted Lager. This time, I tried the Ommegang Abbey Ale, while Pam had a pint of Brooklyn Summer Ale. Very nice!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Christos Gyro and Souvlaki: The Best Gyros in New York?

by travelfrosch Updated Aug 6, 2012
    Christos Gyro & Souvlaki

Does this place have the best Gyros in New York? The New York Daily News thinks so. Who am I to argue? When I worked in the Bronx, this was my favorite place to have lunch (and sometimes dinner). The modest-looking storefront is home to a family-owned local gem. Prices are very reasonable, ingredients are fresh, and everything on the menu is delicious. In addition to a number of homemade Greek specialties, the restaurant also serves locally renowned burgers and french fries that put the neighboring McDonald's to shame. When you come here, there's a good chance you'll be served by owner Christopher, who, depending on his mood, might offer your table a round of free "Bronx Champagne" (tap water).

Favorite Dish: The Gyros are now famous, of course. My favorite lunch was a bowl of homemade avgolemono (a lemon-chicken soup with egg) and a side of delicious french fries. You might also want to try the stuffed grape leaves. If you have room, you must try the homemade baklava for dessert.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Bronx

Comments

Bronx Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bronx restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bronx sightseeing.