Bronx Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bronx

Tosca Cafe: A favorite of ours

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tosca is a trendy bar/restaurant/lounge here in the E. Tremont section of the Bronx. The restaurant is packed on weekends and a big social gathering place for the locals.

Whenever I get together with my cousin we always wind up coming here. The atmosphere and the food are excellent and its close to her home. We usually settle at the bar for about an hour to a couple of drinks and then either order and eat at the bar or get table for a sit down meal. They have a huge selection of dishes to satisfy anyone. They even have sushi...

My cousin loves the sushi and brags about how delicious and fresh it is. Sushi is about the only dish I am not keen on, so I usually pass and order something else.

If we are having dinner here and my cousin does order the sushi, I usually will go with their hot antipasto plate which comes with baked clams, shrimp, mussels, eggplant rolotini and stuffed mushrooms which is enough as a meal. If I'm not in the mood for that I will have the Seafood Ala Tosca which is shrimp, mussels, clams, calamari, scallops and lobster tail in a marinara sauce (yum, yum, yum)!!!

Favorite Dish: Hot Antipasto salad is delicious and quite filing as a meal. Large selection of sushi, pasta dishes with every imaginable seafood with different sauces. Anything you have here will be good!!

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Jimmy's Bronx Cafe: Dine, dance and plan your next birthday

by ladyboss1042 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food ranges from chicken fingers to Seafood combination. Great for family dining as well as romantic. This place is great on weekends dinner and dancing all in one. If you just want to relax and have a drink they also have a sports bar. I've seen everything from birthday parties to weddings. I love it.

Favorite Dish: Paella!!!! This is what Jimmy's is famous for. Paella is a yellow rice with all types of seafood in it. The best I have ever tasted.

• Music

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Restaurants in City Island: Excellent Seafood

by seagoingJLW Updated Apr 4, 2011

City Island Avenue

All along City Island Avenue, mixed in with the gift shops, antique shops, thrift shops, etc. are many great seafood restaurants.

Walking the entire length of City Island Avenue takes about 25 minutes (excluding stops.)

The photo shows a section of City Island Avenue.

Favorite Dish: For lunch try these places:
    Tito Puente's
    Sammy's Fish Box

For lunch or dinner try:
    The Original Crab Shanty

For a great harborside dining experience, try:
    The Harbor Restaurant.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Sailing and Boating

Frankie & Johnnie's Pine Tavern: Family Style Italian

by cjg1 Updated Oct 11, 2010

Penne Vodka

Frankie & Johnnie's is what I would call a typical Bronx Italian Restuarant with good food, relaxed atmosphere and friendly service. The restuarant is a nice size with a large dining room, bar and private party room. The restaurant is full of hard wood accents as well as Yankee and Bronx memorabilia. Frankie & Johnnie's is a place that my wife grew up with. Many family dinners and events have been held here over the years due to the great food and welcoming atmosphere. We often come here before or after a Yankee game for a bite to eat.

F&J's is a family style Italian restaurant with big portions; come here hungry and you'll leave stuffed. The menu has many good choices from appetizers such as fried ravioli and hot antipasto, pasta, chicken, veal, seafood, pork, meat and vegetable dishes. The food here really is incredible and the service is top notch. Every time we come here I feel like I'm with the mayor since Liz and her family seem to know everyone in the place(staff and customers alike). I like that the restaurant is casual and unpretentious so I can relax and enjoy the meal. The place is always packed but I can't blame people for coming here for the outstanding food. Occasionally you'll bump into a Yankee or two having a meal at F&J.... they have good taste in food as well.

I always look forward to a meal here and my doggie bag full of food for later.

Favorite Dish: There are so many delicious things I have eaten here that I'll have to narrow it down a bit.

Appetizers here are very good especially the fried ravioli, hot antipasto, fried calamari and the baked clams; we often order a bunch of appetizers to share when we are with a large group.

The baked ravioli, papardalle carbonara, penne vodka and the cavatelli with sausage are some of my favorite pasta dishes.

The stuffed pork chops are my all time favorite here. Two huge chops are filled with proscuitto and provolone and are smothered in a wine sauce with mushrooms and melted mozzarella on top. Absolutely delicious especially with the potato croquette on the side.

The Tiramisu, Zeppole and chocolate ravioli are very good desserts (I like Marie's Tiramisu and Liz's Chocolate Ravioli's better but why make them cook for me...).

Spoto's: Good Italian Food

by cjg1 Written Sep 21, 2009

Spoto's is a nice Italian restaurant on Tremont Avenue in the Bronx. Liz has been here many time but this was my first visit to Spoto's. We were seated outside since it was a nice sunny day and not too hot. The waitress was attentive and took our drink orders and brought some bread for the table. The menu has the usual variety of Italian dishes as well a pizza. It wasn't too hard for me to decide that I wanted Ravioli and Liz wanted the gnocchi. We ordered the Hot Antipasto to share since it had some of our favorites: stuffed mushrooms, clams oreganata, shrimp, mussels and peppers. The food here was very good and we wound up taking some antipasto and half of our meals home in doggie bags (it made for a nice lunch the next day). It was an enjoyable meal with the beautiful weather and excelent company. I was quite pleased with the food quality and the service was very good.

Favorite Dish: The Ravioli was very good and creamy. I liked that I was able to have vodka sauce instead of the marinara sauce listed in the menu. Liz enjoyed her gnocchi and also had it in vodka sauce instead of the kisted meat sauce on the menu. I appreciated that they were willing to change things up in order to please the customer's palate. The antipasto was a nice size and I thouroughly enjoyed the mushrooms and shrimp.

Tosca Cafe: Great Italian Food

by cjg1 Updated Sep 18, 2009

Tosca Cafe is located in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx. This place is a favorite of Liz and her friends so this was one of the first places she ever took me to in the Bronx when we began dating. The place is a nice size with plenty of seating and a nice bar area (in the summer ther is outdoor seating available). The bar/lounge area is a great place to hang out for drinks after work or just with friends. We love having a seat on one of the couches and enjoying a drink or two with friends.

Don't let the Italian name fool you though there is more than just Italian dishes at Tosca; they also have Sushi. The menu here has the same Italian favorites everyone loves such as fried calamari, Pasta Fagioli, Penne Alla Vodka, Eggplant Rollatini and Chicken Parmiagiana. The sushi list is extensive and I enjoy having a few Dragon Rolls or Rainbow Rolls when I'm here.

The service and the vibe of the place is very good; that's why I like it besides the delicious food. So if you're in the area; definitly stop in and enjoy some lunch, dinner or even brunch (on Saturdays & Sundays $24.95 Per person). So bring your apetite...you won't be dissapointed.

Favorite Dish: The Dragon Roll and Rainbow Roll are my favorite on the Sushi menu. When we eat here is it usually with a group of friends so we order the hot antipasto for the table which has baked clams, shrimp, mussels, eggplant rollantini and stuffed mushrooms. The fried calamari is also a must for us when we eat here...it is very crispy and good.

The Ravioli Arragosta is one of my favorite pastas on the menu. It's yummy ravioli filled with Lobster and calamari in a vodka sauce. The Pork Chops with Vinegar peppers are also nice and very juicy. Liz likes their Gnocchi Quattro Formaggi in a creamy cheee sauce or the Risotto ala Tosca which is risotto and seafood. The Seafood Alla Tosca is also very good and we've been known to order it and split it along with an appetizer since there is just so much seafood on the plate it is too much for one person.

The Tiamisu is pretty good and Liz enjoys the creme brulee here as well as the caramel apple for dessert.

Riverdale Bagels: Some yummy freshly baked bagels

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 31, 2009

When you live or have family in a certain part of a town you tend to frequent some places more than others.

Riverdale Bagels is just that for us. We've been coming here for years becuase they are located just a few short blocks from my sister's place as well as close to where I called home for a while. I really like that they have their own bakery in the back and the bagels and rolls are all made fresh every single day. They carry a large selection of tasty bagels, like plain, poppy, sesame, onion, cinamon raisin, everything as well as some rolls. You can have anything you'd like on your bagel and they have a good selection of flavored cream cheese, tuna, chicken salad, cold cuts, or even breakfast items like eggs, bacon, sausage as well as nutella and other yummy items you can have on your bagel.

They make fresh brewed coffee as well as tea and they have an assortment of drinks and juices.
    There is always a line here and they do run out of bagels, so get here early.

Favorite Dish: I usually have their everything bagel with a smear of cream cheese, its my favorite along with a nice cup of coffee.

Cafe Sevilla: Cafe Sevilla

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 14, 2009

This is a Spanish/Latino restaurant that has a great mix of steaks and seafood dishes. The food is good, unpretetious but satisfying. The menu is extensive like the steak prepared "Spanish style" broiled and smothered in onions and brown sauce served with rice and beans or salad. The paella, chock full of chorizo, shrimp and mussels, with a few pieces of other seafood. The (tostones) fried plantains where quite good with a aioli sauce served on the side.

The decorations leave a lot to be desired with its wood paneling, assorted decorations of Spanish coat of arms as well as a plastic lobster and other "sea-creatures".

The service has always been good and the prices even better.

I'd definitely recommend this restaurant if you find yourself in the area.

Favorite Dish: I enjoy their version of paella, arroz con mariscos, bistec encebollado with white rice and beans.

Patricia's II: Father's Day Dinner with Family

by cjg1 Written Jun 22, 2009

We wound up at this place for Father's Day Dinner. Liz's family is friends with one of the owners and come here often. It's basically a glorified pizza joint with paper tablecloths and flat screen TV's. I was not impressed (and apparently neither is Liz's Dad but he had no say in the restaurant choice). We were seated at a table for 5 by the window and handed menus. We all ordered drinks and scanned the menu. They had the usual assortment of italian dishes and pizza. We decided on some fried calamari and a large salad for the table. Our waiter came with a bread basket, a thin crust pizza and some oil for dipping. I decided to have the Lobster Ravioli, Liz had the Gnocchi, Bob had the veal Marsala, Marie had the chicken Marsala and Rob had gnocchi with chicken. The food was okay, nothing to rave about. We did have dessert since who can resist dessert. I had the Tiramisu which wasn't bad but not the best I've had.

Favorite Dish: The calamari was pretty good and I like the pizza.

White Castle: Belly Bombers

by cjg1 Updated Apr 22, 2009

I never had White Castle until I met Liz. She grew up on White Castle and there are several within walking distance of her parent's house. Her Dad refers to the burgers as "Belly Bombers" since after you eat so much your belly wants to explode. White Castle is a chain that specialized in square, steamed burgers. The burgers are about the size of a slider and are very tasty. They also have onion rings, fries, mozzarella sticks, shakes and chicken sandwiches. The burgers are really good and it is impossible to eat just one...I can pop about 6 while Liz is good at two.

Favorite Dish: I realy enjoy the cheeseburgers, onion rings and vanilla milkshakes. It's a cheap and quick meal or snack.

Pelham Bay Diner: Good Diner Food

by cjg1 Updated Apr 22, 2009

The Pelham Bay Diner is a typical diner with the typical diner food. We are often in the Bronx visiting friends or Liz's parents. We wound up here for the simple fact that we were hungry and it was late. The diner inside is rather large with lots of booths and tables. We were setaed right away at a booth by a window. Our waitress was very nice and tok our drink orders; a diet coke for me and a club soda with lime for Liz. I decided on the cheeseburger and Liz had a french onion soup and mozarella sticks. The food came rather fast and was pretty good for diner food. The service was good considering the place was rather crowded with patrons.

Favorite Dish: The cheeseburger was very good and cooked to my liking. The fies were crisy and not at all sogy. Liz liked her french onion soup and mozarella sticks.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Cold Cut City: Excellent Deli in Kingsbridge

by travelfrosch Updated Feb 7, 2009

Cold Cut City, The Bronx

One of the best things about living in New York is the "Deli." One of the best examples of a Bronx deli is Cold Cut City, a particularly excellent establishment in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx. While you can also get excellent pizza, calzones, and hot sandwiches here, the featured food revolves around the tasty "cold cuts" (freshly sliced meat and cheese) available. You can order these cold cuts either by the pound or in a pre-made sandwich (also known as a "hero"). At this place, the bread is always fresh, which makes the "heros" especially appealing. Note the sandwiches are generally huge and can usually be shared by two people.

Favorite Dish: My favorite combination sandwich is known as "La Bella Antonella," a sandwich made with prosciutto, mozzarella, and marinated peppers, all on a delicious whole-grain and sesame seed roll. I recommend you wash it down with Boylan's birch beer, a uniquely American non-alcoholic concoction from across the river in New Jersey. Even if you're a die-hard Coca-Cola hater, try this. (at least for the experience ;).

Still hungry? Desserts are among the best you can get. The cheesecake is brought in fresh from the S&S Cheesecake factory just a few blocks away.

• Trains

Dominic's Pizza: Good Pizza that Doesn't Deliver

by cjg1 Updated Dec 10, 2008

My first experience with Dominic's pizza was with Liz's parents. They love the pizza here and have been eating it for years. The pizza is a good and thin crust with just the right amount of sauce and cheese. It's so good that they don't deliver..you have to pick it up yourself.

They also have good hot dishes and sandwiches. I have not experienced them personally but Liz's Dad eats here often enough to be considered an "expert" in my book.

Favorite Dish: The pizza is very good and I enjoy eating it.

El Nuevo Coqui Restaurant - CLOSED: Good Puerto Rican Food - CLOSED

by Gypsystravels Updated Oct 20, 2008

This is my favorite Puerto Rican restaurant here in the Bronx. It is very small hole in the wall place with the namesake "Coqui" everywhere you turn. It's a bit kitshy but who cares when the food is this good. There are a few tables in the back with a juke box blaring Spanish songs. You can either check out the display case and order something from the hot burners, or order directly from the menu.

They serve your typical Puerto Rican dishes of rice, beans, and the meats flavored with the all important "sofrito"!!

They have the typical Spanish drinks like the Malt India, juices made of Puerto Rican fruits, beers or drinks.

Favorite Dish: OMG, I love their "pernil" a roasted pork shoulder with its signature "sofrito" seasoning with a bit of white rice, pink beans, tostones and beer to wash it down.

Their "sancocho" a thick vegatable and meat stew is excellent. They also have the fried "hand" foods like the "empanadas", "alcapurias", "relleno de papa", pork rinds...wow, so much to choose from.

Willie's Steak House: Steak and some Latin Jazz

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 6, 2008

If you love Latin Jazz, good food and a great atmosphere, you must, must come to Willie's Steakhouse. This restaurant has been around since the mid 1970's and is considered a Bronx landmark.

They have a large bar/lounge area and a wonderful dinning section as well. They have a wonderful Happy Hour Monday-Sunday 4-7, with live music every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and friendly with personal touch you don't find in many places.

They have a large selection of dishes including of course meat, that glorious meat...steaks, chops, chicken and seafood with a touch of latin flavor. I've had dinner and drinks here many times and their foods are always fresh and cooked to your liking!!

Favorite Dish: I love their steaks, but their chops are amazing!! Served with a side of rice, beans and some tostones is what I always order.

Instant Answers: Bronx

Comments

Bronx Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bronx restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bronx sightseeing.