Bronx Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Bronx

Brisas del Caribe #2: Cheap and Oh so good in Parkchester

by cjg1 Written Apr 13, 2004

This is a wonderful place I was shown one day. I love it. The food is very cheap. It is very good. And its much easier than cooking for one's self.

Favorite Dish: I can't really tell you my favorites. I have to admit I liked almost everything I ever ate here. It was all new to me. I had never had food like this. A wonderful VT led event in my life.

Madison's: Chilean Sea Bass

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Madison's is a place our family comes to when we're celebrating either a birthday, graduation, confirmation or any other special occassion. The restuarant is nice, cozy serving northern Italian dishes that are excellent. The restaurant is located in the Upper Riverdale section of the Bronx in a nice residential area.

Favorite Dish: My favorite has to be the Chilean Sea Bass (I know its endangered, but it is so yummy), also try their Black Angus Steak, cooked to perfection.

Joe's Place: Caribbean/Puerto Rican Cuisine

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Joe's Place is owned by the well known Spanish Chef, Joe Torres. The food is Caribbean/Puerto Rican with some really nice dishes to choose from.

The restaurant is really nice and has a separate bar/loung where you can enjoy you mixed drinks or beers. The main dining area is really nice and the waiters are friendly. As for the food, well, honestly for the prices, I have had better. I normally don't complain about a meal, but the meats just didn't taste right to me, maybe I was expecting more of typical Puerto Rican taste.

Overall I would say that the restaurant was just okay, nothing exceptional or exciting.

Favorite Dish: I've had their "bistec encebollado" which also included peppers that changed the whole taste of the meat. The rice is quite good and so were the beans. Ferni had the "chicarron de pollo", it's boneless deep fried pieces of chicken, and the meat was dry and not so tasty.

Their drinks are on the heavy side. If you order a mixed drink they will give you lots of liquor.

El Nuevo Coqui Restaurant - CLOSED: Good Puerto Rican Food - CLOSED

by Gypsystravels Updated Oct 20, 2008

This is my favorite Puerto Rican restaurant here in the Bronx. It is very small hole in the wall place with the namesake "Coqui" everywhere you turn. It's a bit kitshy but who cares when the food is this good. There are a few tables in the back with a juke box blaring Spanish songs. You can either check out the display case and order something from the hot burners, or order directly from the menu.

They serve your typical Puerto Rican dishes of rice, beans, and the meats flavored with the all important "sofrito"!!

They have the typical Spanish drinks like the Malt India, juices made of Puerto Rican fruits, beers or drinks.

Favorite Dish: OMG, I love their "pernil" a roasted pork shoulder with its signature "sofrito" seasoning with a bit of white rice, pink beans, tostones and beer to wash it down.

Their "sancocho" a thick vegatable and meat stew is excellent. They also have the fried "hand" foods like the "empanadas", "alcapurias", "relleno de papa", pork rinds...wow, so much to choose from.

Hawaii Sea Restaurant: Chinese & more

by Gypsystravels Written Apr 17, 2008

Whenever we're in the mood for some really good Chinese/Sushi place with some killer drinks we come here. Their pu-pu platers are outrageous and so is their chicken or shrimp teriyaki!! If its sushi you want, try their boat, with a variety of sushi and sashimi!!

Favorite Dish: Start with the pu-pu platter, and definitely order one of their drinks...the Witch Doctor will definitely take away what ails you!

Caridad Restaurant: Cheap Spanish food

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

Caridad Restaurant is chain restaurant with some really cheap and good Spanish food. The region is Dominican which is close to Puerto Rican dishes, which makes it a good choice for me especially since it is so rare to find a Puerto Rican restauant in the Bronx these days. You can eat your meal at the restaurant, or take it away.

The restaurants usually have the display cases with meals they cook for the daily specials and for quick turn around. The staple foods are the white, yellow or mixed rice, with any of their meats which include either roasted chicken, beef stew, chicken stew, fried pork, ribs, cod salad.

Favorite Dish: Order one of their specials (called a "Lunch") which includes a choice of rice, beans and meat all for the amazing price of about $4.95-$6.95, depending on location.

I love their "sancocho" a think stew with meat and vegatables. The white rice and pink beans with either their "pollo guisado" (a chicken stew), or their "carne frita" are usually what I order for take out.

If I am eating at the restaurant, I will either order the "bistec encebollado" (steak & onions) or the pork chops.

Golden Phoenix Chinese Restaurant: Excellent Chinese take-out

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

This Chinese restaurant is a great place for take away. I love their fried rice which is excellent and made with the long grain rice instead of the short grain. They have a few scattered tables if you want to eat your meal here, but we usually order and take it away.

They make your food to order and especially on Friday nights you'll see plenty of people waiting for their order outside.

Favorite Dish: The have your typical Chinese dishes with an assorted fish, meat, chicken and vegatable items. The Egg fried rice is my favorite as well as general tsao's chicken, beef with broccoli, chicken cashew, shrip with cashews and orange chicken, vegable dishes.

Connaughton's Riverdale Steakhouse: Steaks and much more

My delicious Porterhouse

This is an Irish Steakhouse in all its glory. Located here in the Upper Riverdale section of the Bronx, this restaurant bar has been around since 1979 and has consistently served great meals.

My sister has lived in Riverdale for over 26 years and the steakhouse has hosted many of our family gatherings including many Mother's Days, Father's Days, birthdays and graduation. It can accommodate large groups as long as you call ahead of time.

They have a large selection of dishes to suit anyone including seafood and fish dishes but its for their wonderful "meat" that you should come here for. They have a pretty large selection of meats that are "butchered" on the premises. I love their filet mignon and their porter house steak are so good

This is a restaurant I would definitely recommend for a large group gathering.

Recently while visiting with my sister Ferni and I decided to have a good steak dinner here. The food is always good, the ower quite friendly and the best part is the price of the meal, very affordable!

Favorite Dish: Try their filet mignon cooked to your liking with your choice of mashed, baked or french fries or rice pilaf with assorted veggies. I had the Porterhouse again, a huge piece of meat cooked just how I like it with backed potato and veggies, YUM!!.

Or, if meat isn't what you would like, try one their fish dishes like the Deep Fried Breaded Filet of Sole, with tartar sauce or their Sea Scallops Dijon, grilled scallops seasoned with dijon mustard, both very delicious and amazing!!

Their burgers are absolutely deliscous and I'd definitely recommend it if you're in the mood for a burger.

Definitely have a glass of their Guinnes Stout and don't forget dessert. Ferni and I enjoyed their delicious truffle, chocolate ice cream with cocoa powder and hazelnuts....quite yummy indeed!

Willie's Steak House: Steak and some Latin Jazz

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 6, 2008

If you love Latin Jazz, good food and a great atmosphere, you must, must come to Willie's Steakhouse. This restaurant has been around since the mid 1970's and is considered a Bronx landmark.

They have a large bar/lounge area and a wonderful dinning section as well. They have a wonderful Happy Hour Monday-Sunday 4-7, with live music every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and friendly with personal touch you don't find in many places.

They have a large selection of dishes including of course meat, that glorious meat...steaks, chops, chicken and seafood with a touch of latin flavor. I've had dinner and drinks here many times and their foods are always fresh and cooked to your liking!!

Favorite Dish: I love their steaks, but their chops are amazing!! Served with a side of rice, beans and some tostones is what I always order.

Tosca Cafe: A favorite of ours

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tosca is a trendy bar/restaurant/lounge here in the E. Tremont section of the Bronx. The restaurant is packed on weekends and a big social gathering place for the locals.

Whenever I get together with my cousin we always wind up coming here. The atmosphere and the food are excellent and its close to her home. We usually settle at the bar for about an hour to a couple of drinks and then either order and eat at the bar or get table for a sit down meal. They have a huge selection of dishes to satisfy anyone. They even have sushi...

My cousin loves the sushi and brags about how delicious and fresh it is. Sushi is about the only dish I am not keen on, so I usually pass and order something else.

If we are having dinner here and my cousin does order the sushi, I usually will go with their hot antipasto plate which comes with baked clams, shrimp, mussels, eggplant rolotini and stuffed mushrooms which is enough as a meal. If I'm not in the mood for that I will have the Seafood Ala Tosca which is shrimp, mussels, clams, calamari, scallops and lobster tail in a marinara sauce (yum, yum, yum)!!!

Favorite Dish: Hot Antipasto salad is delicious and quite filing as a meal. Large selection of sushi, pasta dishes with every imaginable seafood with different sauces. Anything you have here will be good!!

Umbertos Clam House: Umberto's Clam House

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 13, 2013

Store front

Umberto's Clam House is an Italian seafood restaurants located here in the Little Italy section of the Bronx on Arthur Avenue. They specialize in Italian seafood dishes but if you aren't in the mood for seafood they also have your typical Italian dishes. They have a pretty big selection of appetizers, salads, pastas, salads, fish, meats and poultry to satify anyone.

Recently while visiting the Botanical Gardens with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson we decided to have dinner at Umbertos.

The restaurant is decorated with a nautical theme and they tables can accommodate large parties. They have 3 large screen tv's and according to what the waiter told me, they have live entertainment every Saturday night.

During the warm months you can eat your meal al-fresco in their outdoor seating area.

It's definitely a great place to come have a meal any time of the day!!

Favorite Dish: As appetizers I love their friend calamari, yum, taste so good not rubbery. Their baked clams as just as delicious and so is their grilled octopus and their mozzarella tomato basil.

Their seafood salad is excellent so is their lobster bique. I love their lobster raviloi which is emersed in a wine sauce with bits of lobster and their mussels with linguine is a mussel lovers dish. They pile the mussels high over the pasta with a choice of mild, medium or hot sauces.

During our recent visit we ordered the baked clams for the table. My son-in-law had the seafood salad, my daughter the mussels with linguine and I had the lobster raviloi, YUM!! I had a glass of pinot grigio with my meal and it was so delicious!!

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

River's Edge: ITALIAN WITH A LITTLE VINO

by moiraistyx Updated Nov 9, 2006

OK this restaurant isn't exactly in the Bronx, it is only about 4 walking blocks away though. I came here last July on a warm Tuesday evening. The restaurant wasn't very busy, so we were seated right away. The waiter brought us out a nice basket of warm bread along with some olive oil and balsamic vinegrette. It was yummy. This place is a bit on the expensive side, but the food was good. We topped off our meal with a nice caraffe of wine.

Favorite Dish: I had an extremely rich fettacini alfredo dish and my date had a salmon dish which he devoured.

Wonderful: Delivery options

by cjg1 Updated Oct 6, 2006

In this area Wonderful has the best chinese food for delivery. They are just up the road on the corner of Webster and McLean. With an eight dollar minimum I usually order enough for two days putting the left overs in the fridge for tomorrow.

Favorite Dish: My favorites here are the fried chicken wings. There is better chinese food to be had but for the neighborhood they are good.

Katonah Pizza and Pasta: Delivery options 2

by cjg1 Updated Sep 25, 2006

A somewhat new find for the quality they offer several excellent items including but not limited to chicken wings, sandwiches, and of course pizza.

Favorite Dish: My favorite pizza here is the white pizza. They do a good job with everything and have had most items on the menu over the past 4 years.Like most places around here there is an eight dollar minimum delivery charge.

Fresh Tortillas: Delivery Options 3

by cjg1 Updated Oct 6, 2006

The self proclaimed best Tex-Mex Express in NYC I can assure you it is good. Biggest problem with them is that you must know an hour before you will be hungry so you can order in time.

Favorite Dish: This menu is full of many wonderful items but my favorite is the Chicken Fajita Taco Salad. Also highly recommended are the grilled chicken hard shell tacos. For $1.75 each I can order 5 of them and call it a night if I'm not in the mood for the salad.

And the best part is it is hard to eat enough food to meet the Six dollar minimum delivery charge by yourself.

Instant Answers: Bronx

Comments

Bronx Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bronx restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bronx sightseeing.