Bronx Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Bronx

• Jimmy's Bronx Cafe: Dine, dance and plan your next birthday

by ladyboss1042 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food ranges from chicken fingers to Seafood combination. Great for family dining as well as romantic. This place is great on weekends dinner and dancing all in one. If you just want to relax and have a drink they also have a sports bar. I've seen everything from birthday parties to weddings. I love it.

Favorite Dish: Paella!!!! This is what Jimmy's is famous for. Paella is a yellow rice with all types of seafood in it. The best I have ever tasted.

• Music

• Cross Town Diner: Stay away.

by AisyDaisyLady Written Jun 7, 2007

Were what I called "politely rude". Refused to serve a very minor request, citing a "health code violation". BTW there is no such health code. I would know, I work in the health care field. Besides I checked with NYC and NYS DOH.

I have speculated on why the request was denied. But that I will leave for another venue. Why spend money in a place that isn't interested in service?

Favorite Dish: Didnt get to have any. Bad service doesn't get my money.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Christos Gyro and Souvlaki: The Best Gyros in New York?

by travelfrosch Updated Aug 6, 2012
    Christos Gyro & Souvlaki

Does this place have the best Gyros in New York? The New York Daily News thinks so. Who am I to argue? When I worked in the Bronx, this was my favorite place to have lunch (and sometimes dinner). The modest-looking storefront is home to a family-owned local gem. Prices are very reasonable, ingredients are fresh, and everything on the menu is delicious. In addition to a number of homemade Greek specialties, the restaurant also serves locally renowned burgers and french fries that put the neighboring McDonald's to shame. When you come here, there's a good chance you'll be served by owner Christopher, who, depending on his mood, might offer your table a round of free "Bronx Champagne" (tap water).

Favorite Dish: The Gyros are now famous, of course. My favorite lunch was a bowl of homemade avgolemono (a lemon-chicken soup with egg) and a side of delicious french fries. You might also want to try the stuffed grape leaves. If you have room, you must try the homemade baklava for dessert.

• Business Travel

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Tin Marin Tapas Restaurant & Bar: Seek and you shall find

by BLewJay Updated Jun 4, 2013

On the recommendation from our waiter at a different establishment, we headed off to the Riverdale area of the Bronx in search of a tapas restaurant. She couldn't remember the name of the place but we used our online resources to find the location. As we drove along Riverdale Ave., we heard the sounds of music and laughter coming from this one location, so we parked the car, walked up the street and found Tin Marin Tapas Restaurant & Bar. As we entered, we were immediately greeted with a warm welcome and seated at a table. People having a good time, eating, drinking, talking as well as watching TV. Ah yes, this is nice!!! The portions are nice size and easily shared between people and is a place we will happily return to.

Favorite Dish: For dinner we shared the Mejillones en Cava (Prince Edward Island mussels steamed in cava with garlic, shallots & roasted red peppers), Papas Rellenas De Queso (golden crispy baby yukon potatoes stuffed with manchego cheese topped with an herb aioli), Gambas Al Ajillo (Spain's most famous tapas, delicious shrimp sautéed in a spicy herb and garlic cream sauce) and Chorizo (Spanish chorizo sautéed with shallots in white wine topped with crispy golden panko bread crumbs) tapas. To go along with this, we had two glasses of delicious Sangria.

Sabrosura: Excellent Spanish-Chinese food

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 13, 2013
    Copitas de tostones

My sister's and I were in the neighborhood and decided to check this place out. I've never seen such an extensive menu with so many variations of dishes. This is a Spanish & Chinese restaruant that is not an infusion of both dishes rather they serve both Spanish and Chinese dishes.

There were so many different dishes to pick from that we had a hard time deciding. Dishes range from Spanish rice, beans, grilled meats, fish, seafood, mofongo, tostones, rotissere chicken, fried rice, bento boxes, just to name a few items. The restaurant gets very, very crowded and its a cash only restaurant. Prices are super affordable, starting from $9.95 for a full meal which includes a meat with sides.

We were hungry and so overwhelmed with what to eat, but we settled for two appetizers of the "copitas de tostones" which are fried plantain molded into a cup and filled with your choice of meat, seafood or vegatables.

For our meal we all decided that the Bento Box was the best choice with a sampling of rice, beans, salad, choice of meat, choice of patty and mofongo.

They serve beers, sangria, sodas and fruity drinks (no alcohol).

Favorite Dish: We ordered the cupitas de tostones with crab meat and with fried meat and bento boxes which included rice, beans, salad, patty (mine was crab), meat (I ordered the shrimp creole, my cousin had the ribs, my sister the steak), with mofongo, YUM.

The prices were great. The tostones were about $8.95 and our bento boxes were $12.95. pitcher of Sangria was $16.95.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Bronx Alehouse: Great Bronx Brewpub (seriously)

by travelfrosch Updated May 21, 2013
    Inside the pub

Here's a place in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx that has amazing beer and pub grub. While we tried to organize a VT meet here, most attendees backed out at the last minute. But Pam made her way across town to join Sara, Minifrosch, and me for a nice lunch on a Saturday afternoon. While I wouldn't go as far as to say the place is family-friendly, it is not a problem to bring young children along during lunchtime hours. Do be aware there are no high chairs, however (though manager Brian did offer in jest to secure Minifrosch to a chair with duct tape; I should note Mommy was not amused). As it turned out, after a few minutes of wandering around the place, the little guy got tired and slept in his stroller through the entire meal. Given the loud noise all around, we were most impressed.

Favorite Dish: While certain VT members would not approve of my writing this tip, this place specializes in high quality burgers, along with well-crafted sandwiches and other pub grub. I went for an excellent burger with bleu cheese and bacon, while Pam decided to go for the "Alehouse Burger," a 1/2 pound beef patty topped with BBQ pork, cole slaw, and onion rings with a side of sweet potato french fries. Sara decided to try their nachos, which were so huge even she was unable to finish it with her amazing metabolism.

Over a dozen beers are offered on tap at any given time, though most selections change from time to time. Among the beers normally available: Weihenstephan hefeweizen, Gaffel Kölsch, Guinness, and Buepoint Toasted Lager. This time, I tried the Ommegang Abbey Ale, while Pam had a pint of Brooklyn Summer Ale. Very nice!

Tokyo House - A Japanese Restaurant: Dinner to celebrate my sister's Birthday

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 13, 2013

Riverdale is blessed with a few good restaurants, and Tokyo House is one of them. My family enjoys Japanese food and this is just down the road from their home.

We've been here a few times and most recently we were here to enjoy a nice meal while celebrating Linda's birthday.

The restaurant is small, with about 10 tables and a section where you can have a larger party like we had (8 of us). There is a really nice sushi bar where your sushi is prepared fresh with fresh ingredients (as I am told, since I don't like sushi).

As you are seated you are given a menu which is quite extensive. They have the usual times you find in any Japanese restaurant with sushi and sashimi being their largest. The waiter places endame on a "comunal" plate to be shared with everyone.

Most of the combinations dishes come with miso soup and salad and the prices are quite good.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the seafood teriyaki which is a combination of grilled salmon, lobster and scallops with a side of either brown or white rice. My sister had the teriyaki chicken and my niece and Ferni usually order the teriyaki steak.

My daughter, her husband, my brother-in-law and my nephew will always order a combination of sushi and sashimi which they always rave about.

Riverdale Bagels: Some yummy freshly baked bagels

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 31, 2009

When you live or have family in a certain part of a town you tend to frequent some places more than others.

Riverdale Bagels is just that for us. We've been coming here for years becuase they are located just a few short blocks from my sister's place as well as close to where I called home for a while. I really like that they have their own bakery in the back and the bagels and rolls are all made fresh every single day. They carry a large selection of tasty bagels, like plain, poppy, sesame, onion, cinamon raisin, everything as well as some rolls. You can have anything you'd like on your bagel and they have a good selection of flavored cream cheese, tuna, chicken salad, cold cuts, or even breakfast items like eggs, bacon, sausage as well as nutella and other yummy items you can have on your bagel.

They make fresh brewed coffee as well as tea and they have an assortment of drinks and juices.
    There is always a line here and they do run out of bagels, so get here early.

Favorite Dish: I usually have their everything bagel with a smear of cream cheese, its my favorite along with a nice cup of coffee.

Tiny's Pizza & Pasta: Nothing tiny about their servings

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013

This place is located just a few blocks from my cousin's office. She had raved about the large portions which can be shared and still have more than enough to each take home, so while I was dropping some papers off at the courthouse, we decided to meet and have lunch here.

This pizza place/restaurant is really a small "hole in the wall" place which is basically only frequented by individuals who happen to work or live in the area. There are about 6 tables total, a super small counter and then the kitchen behind the counter.

It gets really crowded during lunch hours, so we decided on what we wanted and called the order ahead. As we arrived we were seated, given some yummy warm bread and asked for our drink order.

The service is excellent, the food yummy and such large portions that I would say it's probably better to share an entree.

The place serves your typical pizza, hot Italian sandwiches, wraps, burgers, baked dishes like lasagna and of course their pasta dishes ranging from fettucci, spagetti, ziti, linguini, penne and rigatoni, with your choice of sauces like my favorite, vodka or bolognese.

Prices are very reasonable, for a baked item like lasagna its 8.00 and for our meal, the penne a la vodka with chicken it was $9.45.
    I'd definitely recommend this place and am actually looking forward to coming back soon :)

Favorite Dish: Because the orders are quite huge, we decided to share a dish. We ordered the penne a la vodka with chicken, it was so, so good!

My cousin and I both had a nice helping and then we both even took a doggy bag home. I really wish I would have had my camera with me.

• meganavery's Profile Photo

Roberto's: Authentic Italian!

by meganavery Written Apr 17, 2008

Even the Michelin guide couldn't ignore this gem! All pasta is done on the premises and is so fresh and delicious. The waits can be crazy...especially if there is a Yankee's game going on. But it is worth it! The bread is from a bakery around the corner and it's so good. It melts in your mouth with the amazing olive oil and fresh pasta. I do not normally go out to dinner and order pasta but here I make an exception!

Favorite Dish: I cannot choose just one thing! It's all so good. Osso Bucco and the Risotto are great specials. Always have a hard time deciding...

Farfalle ai funghi porcini
    Bowties with dried porcini mushrooms, parmigiano, and a touch of cream

Penne alla vodka
    Penne in pink vodka sauce with pancetta

Orecchiette con salsiccia e broccoli di rapa
    Orecchiette with Italian sausage and broccoli rabe sautéed in garlic and oil

Parrilla Latina: Good and inexpensive Spanish food

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 5, 2013
    Bistic cebollado (flank steak with onions)

Parilla Latina is a typical Spanish restaurant serving quick, inexpensive dishes. They have a nice size dinning area with a bar and a stage for live performances on evening weekends.

As you enter the restuarant you'll see a display case to the right with items that are cooked daily and usually part of their daily special. If you are taking your meal to go, you can place your order here, if not, you'll be seated by a hostess.

The menu is quite extensive with all sorts of typical Spanish dishes. All sorts of rices, beans, meats, fish, mofongo amd rotissere chicken will be on the menu.

The food is fresh, quite yummy and not expensive at all. Service is a hit or miss if it's busy, so don't come in a rush if you're dinning in.

Favorite Dish: The mofongo is quite good and so are their rices. Ferni likes their boneless chicken chunks. Linda like their rotissere chicken and bistic with onions.

• Sing Fei: Best Chinese food in the Bronx

by keeper7 Written Apr 21, 2005

This very small chinese resturant located between Kings College Place & Putnam Place, has in my opinion very good chinese. I have been eatting there since late 2001 and I still love the food on their menu.

They are open 7 days a week from 11am to Midnight.

• Areas: City Island, Little Italy, Pelham Bay, more: Loads of different types of good restaurants

by Cottes Written Mar 31, 2004

Plenty of areas to eat some fine food:
    Areas: City Island, Little Italy, Pelham Bay, Tremont Ave. (E & W), Riverdale, Morris Park and lots more. Visit the Bronx official home page at: http://www.ilovethebronx.com/ or

David Cottes

Favorite Dish: Italian, Latin, Chinese, Greek, Soul food and much much more!

• Adventure Travel
    • Cycling
    • Golf

• Denise Pizzeria: Best Pizza in the World (in my opinion)

by Digi Written Nov 16, 2003
    A map of the Pizzeria

Denise's Pizzeria has the best pizza in the world, in my opinion. Of course, I may be biased since I grew up close to the pizzaria, and it is here that I developed my love for the dish. But Denise's is an old pizzeria which is a staple of the Spuyten Duyvil neighborhood of the Bronx. It's been noticed in many different publications including the Village Voice for it's great food.

Favorite Dish: The Cheese Pizza.

Magnificent

• The Riverdale Garden Restaurant, Wine bar, Bakery: Wood Burning Fireplace and Spacious Flower Garden

by chefsherm Updated Mar 15, 2004

The wood burning fireplace and the spacious flower garden make this place worth a visit. Also the food is cooked by a CIA graduate and his wife does the baking.
    Using seasonal ingredients to create simple, satisfying food, the chef visits each table. The cafe section shows off the desserts and coffee/tea selections. Entertainment will be offered throughout the week, with Opera night, Jazz night, Open Mike, Middle Eastern Night and R & B night. Call for schedule.

Favorite Dish: Mushroom risotto, Butternut squash soup, Slow roasted Beets with goat cheese, Salmon seared with fennel, rosemary and orange, Braised Short Ribs, Chocolate cake with housemade ice cream, Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, Cheese cake with fresh raspberry sauce.

• Music

Instant Answers: Bronx

Comments

Bronx Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bronx restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bronx sightseeing.