Places to eat in Brooklyn

• Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Brooklyn

Randazzo's Clam Bar: Sheepshead Bay Landmark

by BLewJay Written Jun 5, 2013

Anytime we visit NYC, we always get together with my cousins. This last trip was no exception. Everyone met up at Randazzo's Clam Bar in the Sheepshead Bay section of Brooklyn to have a delicious dinner along with laughter and conversation. It's a busy place but not too loud and the food is to die for!!! If you are in the area, definitely head over to this establishment, you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: We started off with soup, LJ ordered the Lobster Bisque while I had the Spicy Crab Corn Chowder. For dinner, we split an order of Fried Calamari (with their famous hot sauce) and a dozen Oysters .

Cubana Café: Cuban classics abound

by BLewJay Updated Dec 14, 2012

Met up with my foodie cousin for dinner at the Cubana Café...an excellent choice as well as ambience...very Caribbean, very Cuban. Great service and vibe, oh yes and the food was delicious. Please note that there are two locations...we went to the one in Park Slope and most importantly, they are a cash only establishment (ATM on the premises).

Favorite Dish: For the appetizers, we ordered the Camarones de coco (coconut breaded shrimps with mango relish) and Ensalada de aguacate (avocado with shrimps, mango & mesclun). For dinner, my cousiin had the Ropa Vieja (braised beef with sauteed onions, olives, peppers, rice and beans), LJ had the Sauteed Tilapia (with cilantro rice, chunky tomato mango salsa, served with sweet plantain pure & elote), while I had the Filetillo (hanger steak with sauteed green peppers, onions served with rice and beans).

Drinks at the bar Ensalada de aguacate & Camarones de coco Ropa Vieja Sauteed Tilapia Filetillo
    • Music

Cousin John`s Cafe & Bakery: A unique culinary experience

by BLewJay Updated Dec 10, 2012

This place holds a special meaning for me in that it was the last place i purchased a birthday cake for my father before he passed away. So anytime I visit Brooklyn, I stop in to get something to eat. The bakery serves great pastries and offers a friendly atmosphere. So stop in and pay them a visit.

Favorite Dish: On this last visit,we ordered Black & White Cookies, walnut fudge brownie and pecan pie tart!!!

Mojito Cuban Cuisine: A success story

by BLewJay Written Apr 16, 2012

While in New York, we decided to try one of the restaurants we had seen on Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares". We looked on his website and found that Mojito Cuban Cuisine was nearby, so we called them up, made a reservation and drove to the restaurant for dinner.

Favorite Dish: We started off with a Cocount Mojito and Pomegranate Mojito. For dinner, LJ selected the Atollado del Mar while I had the Churrasco (both dishes served with white rice and black beans). To cap the evening we ordered two Caffe Corretto with Amaretto...yummy!!!

Cocount Mojito & Pomegranate Mojito Cocount Mojito Caffe Corretto with Amaretto

• Bien Cuit (The Smith Street Bakery): Amazing Bread!

by sarahmima Written Jul 30, 2011

The food here is amazing! There are so many pastries I had a hard time choosing. Eventually I settled on a plain croissant (I know, seems boring, but you're wrong!) it was perfectly flakey and buttery. The barista (who was super sweet) suggested a cup of their coffee (who can say no to coffee?) and it was a perfect combination. My friend had the cherry chocolate hazelnut brioche and I had to fight her for a bite.

Favorite Dish: Croissant (but I can't wait to try more!)

• Dumont Burger: Another amazing burger!

by RblWthACoz Updated Apr 4, 2011

This small place is an offshoot of the Dumont that is not too far away. I am not sure what they are putting in their burgers, but they have a nice deep and earthy kind of flavor. I want to say it is almost a liver kind of flavor I think I get. Either way, the patties are quite tasty and the bread is a brioche that still does not interfere with the meat.

Beyond the burger, the decor is pretty nice and they have a limited but good selection of beer as well as some nice scotches and a bit of wine. If you are in Williamsburg, it is definitely a must-see. But be forewarned that space is not in abundant supply.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Il Fornetto: Good Food, Great Atmosphere

by Donna_in_India Written Aug 29, 2010

We took my grandmother here to celebrate her 94th birthday. After literally decades of traveling to this part of Brooklyn and tolerating not-so-great food (except Nathan's at Coney Island, of course!), this was a wonderful surprise.

The main dining area is light and bright with big glass windows overlooking the water, swans, and boats. We got a table along the windows (there are about 8 tables along the windows, several more spaced around the dining room.

We had the rigatoni al Fornetto, a daily special red snapper, and chicken francese. All of our dishes were very good. Capuccinos and a delicious tiramisu for dessert rounded off our meal.

Monday through Friday they offer a fixed price lunch (12-4) and dinner.

This is a very nice place for lunch or a special occasion dinner.

Hours:
    Mon - Thurs: 12PM - 11PM
    Fri - Sat: 12PM - 12PM
    Sunday: 12PM - 11PM

Il Fornetto

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Prego Pizza: Tasty Pizza

by cjg1 Updated Jul 15, 2010

Pego Pizza is the quick serve pizzaria on the Caribbean Princess. Watch as pizza is made right before your eyes and baked in pizza ovens. They have the usual plain and pepperoni pizza as well as the special pizza of the day. The pizza will never compare to good NY pizza but for a cruise ship it is rather good.

My wife and I often grabbed a few slices as a snack when watching a movie poolside and even had a pizza delivered to our stateroom for a late night snack.''

Favorite Dish: The plain is my favorite but the pepperoni is quite nice. Their white pizza is made with gorgonzola and ricotta cheese; the gorgonzola is just too pungent for me to like on a pizza. The vegetable pizza was okay but a bit on the soggy side.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Crown Grill (Caribbean Princess): Tasty Pub Lunch

by cjg1 Updated Jul 13, 2010

The Crown Grill is a steakhouse aboard the Caribbean Princess. Normally the restaurant is considered a "specialty restaurant" and charges a $20 per person fee for dining. During our cruise the Crown Grill offered Pub Lunches during sea days (days not in a port) at no additional charge.

The Crown Grill is quite elegant with marble and dark wood accents as well as fireplaces. The dining area has a nice number of booths with ocean views and well as tables to accomodate any size party. We has the pleasure of dining her three times during our voyage for Pub Lunch. Our first lunch here was with my wife, My Mother and her fiancee. Our second and thrid visist included our new friends Roger & Helen from Long island.

The Pub Lunch menu featured typical English Pub grub such as Cottage Pie ( a form of Shepard's pie), Fish & Chips, Bread Pudding, Fried Shrimp, Banger & Mash, Ploughman's Lunch and Curry Chicken. They also had Guiness, Stella Artois and Boddington's to accompany the meal.

The food here was excellent and we did manage to try every item on the menu over the course of three days. The food was well cooked, tasty and presented nicely. The service here was very good and attentive.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dishes were the Fish & Chips and Curry Chicken. The other choices were quite nice but these were my favorites. I also enjoyed that they had Guiness and Boddington's to drink. Even my wife enjoyed a glass of Stella with her meal which is not typical for her.

I'll have a Guiness of Course! Shrimp & Chips Curry Chicken Egg stuffed meatloaf Cherry Trifle

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

Villabate Alba: Villabate Alba; The real deal

by Mr.Sparkle Written Jul 9, 2010

Head the Italian section of Brooklyn for this gem of an Italian bakery. This place will rival any other Italian place in the city, which is no easy feat.

Favorite Dish: anything. you seriously can't go wrong with anything here and the lines of people of people extending out the door is true confirmation of that.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory: Hand Made Delicious Ice Cream

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 25, 2008

Located at the foot of Fulton Landing, next door to the River Café is the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. The ice cream is hand made and is quite delicious, velvety and very creamy. They have a limited selection of flavors like your favorites which include chocolate, vanilla, strawberry just to name a few.

Favorite Dish: I’m quite predicable when it comes to ice creams, so I had my fave flavored ice cream (chocolate) on a waffle cone and Ferni had the vanilla regular sugar cone, they were both so YUM!!

Yum, chocolate ice cream on a waffle cone Another tasty view of my ice cream The que to order the ice cream

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Heights Cafe: Heights Cafe

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 25, 2008

This is a nice restaurant located on the busy Montague Street. The café is usually busy with locals sipping a glass of wine or hanging out at the bar. They have a large dining area behind the bar and in the summer you can enjoy dining al fresco when they open up the area. It’s a great way to enjoy your meal and watch the world pass you by. The service is excellent and very attentive.

Favorite Dish: During my last visit Ferni and I decided to both order the charbroiled burger. I ordered my cheddar burger medium well, sautéed onions and no bun. The burger comes with a side of very tasty fries. The burger was excellent. Very tasty, cooked to my liking The only thing I would say I didn’t care too much for was the ketchup!!! It was way too salty!!

Chedar Burger, Height fries Bar Outdoor dining

• ChicamijaNYC's Profile Photo

Chance: French Asian Fusion "It works!"

by ChicamijaNYC Written Mar 26, 2008

This is a great little restuarant off of Smith St. The prices are really affordable and their hot sakes are fantastic. It gets really busy starting on Thursday night but the food is solid and tasty.

Favorite Dish: Ocean Box Dim Sum & Lamb Box Dim Sum

• Al Di La: Worth a train ride, a walk...or whatever it takes

by RblWthACoz Updated Feb 29, 2008

How many places is it worth taking the train (or cab...or plain walking!!) out of the city to get to? Who knows the exact number. What I can guarantee is that there is at least one place, and this is it.

There is nothing showy going on here. What you have here is masterful cooking prowess. The masters of the kitchen are taking all those beautiful ingredients and just smirking as they perform magical feats. Go all the way. Get appetizers, entrees, dessert, and wine. Eat the table. It's probably just as good.

Listen. Just cut the crap and go. But be prepared for a loooooooong wait if you go anytime a half hour after closing.

• IMthat1girl000's Profile Photo

DiFara's Pizzeria: can't get better than this

by IMthat1girl000 Written Sep 25, 2007

Although this pizzeria may seem out of place (amoung kosher restaurants in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood). We went to the restaurant on a Saturday and everything else on the street was closed save a Dunkin Donuts.

All the ingredients are made fresh by Mr. DeMarco, the store owner. The cheese, oh the cheese, yes its imported from Italy (where he grew up)

There is only him and one other employee that makes every pizza. He cuts his basil by hand and sprinkles the cheese on ever so carefully. Its really a production. People go there to watch how he makes pizza an art. Sometimes they even sauté certain toppings before they place them on the pie.

To be warned, this place gets packed and it is not unusual to wait over an hour to get your pizza. Most of the people there realize this, but there was one group that had no clue and were getting pretty peeved. They only have a small number of tables, which do not get cleaned off, you bus it yourself. Oh and its cash only.

We got ours to go and was it ever amazing. I was a little skeptical at first, what makes pizza worth this long of a wait? But oh yes....yes it definitely is.

Favorite Dish: The artichokes were amazing!

Brooklyn Hotels

Latest: Dec 4, 2011
Brooklyn Motor Inn
Latest: Jun 21, 2014

Instant Answers: Brooklyn

Comments

Brooklyn Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Brooklyn locals.
Map of Brooklyn