Nio's Trinidad Roti Shop, Brooklyn

1 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

2702 Church Avenue (718) 287-9848

Memories of home
    by BLewJay
  • Nio's Trinidad Roti Shop: EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!

by ES1979 Written Jun 11, 2007

EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted on 06-11-2007 by es1979 (1 Reviews)

My husband and I rarely go to Brooklyn, so when we went there this Saturday we thought we would try Nio's for some Rotii. I was a little suspcious of the place as it didn't look like the cleanest West Indian food establishment in town but I ignored my gut instincts and resolved not to be a snob. We spend $70 on roti to take back home with us and share with our friends and family. We also purchased some Hard Dough Bread, a jar of Mango Amchar and some cakes. Much to our dismay, the entire family has had an upset tummy!!! The Mango Amchar jar had expired 9 months ago!!! The hard dough bread the owner packed for us was far from fresh and the most horrific is one of the cakes had spots of MOLDLY growths upon closer inspection. I am extremely disheartened and I feel cheated and upset at this experience. I don't think that a business this dirty and this dishonest should be serving the public. I would suspect that given the fact that we all had upset tummies and that the owner has the audacity to sell food that has gone off and is well past its expiration date there must be a serious case of food mal-handling in the restuarant. You have been warned you eat at your own risk. In the meantime I am taking this experience further by reporting it to the appropriate powers that be.

Favorite Dish: Roti tastes good but the entire family was very ill afterwards!!! BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Nio's Trinidad Roti Shop & West Indian Bakery: Serving the best in West Indian Cuisine

by BLewJay Updated Jun 27, 2003

Memories of home

My relatives were born and raised in the Trinidad & Tobago then migrated to the U.S. in the late 50's and early 60's. They brought with them dishes made in the islands, and since we were in Brooklyn, we decided to try one of my favorite meals...Roti. This restaurant is located in the heart of Brooklyn where many people from around the world live and work. A family run establishment, the food is excellent.

Favorite Dish: I selected the Beef Roti (a very large flour "tortilla" stuffed with curry beef and potatoes) while LJ selected the Chicken Roti (a very large flour "tortilla" stuffed with curry chicken and potatoes).

Instant Answers: Brooklyn