Museum of Art, Brooklyn

The Beaux-Arts Building
    by Gypsystravels
    rendering w new facade
    by chodearm
  • me and Alex by the fountain outside the museum
    me and Alex by the fountain outside the...
    by Beth75NJ
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Brooklyn Museum of Art

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 10, 2008

The Beaux-Arts Building

The musuem is the second largest art museum in New York City and also one of the largest in the US. Housed in a Beaux-Arts building is the expansive collections of 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings which makes it one of the premier art institutions in the world.

The collection spans from the rich artistic heritage of world cultures and includes over 1.5 million objects including its renowed ancient Egyptian pieces. There are also many special exhibits throughtout the year.

I learned to appreciate art at an early age, and The Brooklyn Museum is the reason why. As a child growing up in Brooklyn many of our school trips were to this fantastic musuem. As a result of this early introduction I began to express myself with my drawings. Because of this passion my teacher encouraged me to apply to the High School of Art & Design. I was accepted to attend this wonderful school. As part of an art project I was asked to paint a dolphin murual (they were my favorite subject) on a store front on 4th Avenue in Brooklyn. I owe my love of art to the early trips to the Brooklyn Museum. (A tidbit about me that very few people are aware of, lol)!

For me, art is a wonderful way of expressing life, love and passion!! I love art in any color, shape or form.

Admission Fees:
    A suggested contribution of $8 Adults and $4 for seniors and students. Free to children under 12

Operating Hours:
    Wednesday - Friday, 10am-5pm, first Saturday of each month 11am-11pm, Saturday and Sunday 11am-6pm

Closed Monday, Tuesday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve

• Be bold or be left out...

by RblWthACoz Written Feb 29, 2008

Whoever is running the show here has a whole lot of things up their sleeve. I have seen things here I have never seen before in a museum. And that goes for the unique pieces on display and some of the very interesting ways things are shown.

Slowly as I went through section after section my appreciation grew more and more. By the time I was done, I felt as impacted as I had by any other museum. Even more so due to the skill of presentation showed off.

Sure you have seen museums. And you will probably see a few museums. But...have you seen Brooklyns?

• Beth75NJ's Profile Photo

Art museum and fun water all in one!

by Beth75NJ Updated Jun 10, 2005

me and Alex by the fountain outside the museum

I went to the Brooklyn museum of art this past saturday to check out the Basquiat show. Usually admission is $8 a person for adults. It's suggested so depending how nervy you are, you can pay less. I don't have the guts to do that, but you can. A cool thing is the first saturday of every month they have all sorts of events adn are open later, untill 11. (usually they close at 6 on saturday). Admission on the first saturday is free after 5 and you can attend all the events for free. When we were there we saw the basquiat show, and they had dance lessons followed by dancing and drinks and all sorts of fun! They had family events and talks on the featured show and special tours too.

The day was sweltering so Alex and I spent a lot of time outside by the foutain before we met our friends for the show. The water shoots up from the ground. It's sort of a water sculpture more then a foutain. So fun to watch everyone play. I might be able to post a travel log on this... not sure i know how. anyway, you can play in the water. it's so much fun to watch and get wet!

The museum is also right next to the brooklyn botanical gardens. We didn't go there but you can buy joint tix.

If you go for the first saturday events. I strongly suggest you get on line at 4 as they suggest because we arrived at 7 after our adventures around park slope, and we had to wait 2 hours to get into the basquiat show. It might have been because it was the last day of the show, but i'm not sure. better safe then sorry.

• Museum Visits

• chodearm's Profile Photo

First Saturdays (FREE)

by chodearm Updated Aug 17, 2004

rendering w new facade

Every first Saturday of every month its free and opened late.
    The energy levels are high pumped with performances, music, dancing, and gallavanting through the galleries for free. They serve wine and food for a small price. For peace and solitude dip into a gallery. Their egyptian art collection is large and notable as well as their asian art collection. There's large show space for travelling and special shows. Just opened is a new promenade that is beautifully adorned with fountains designed by the dude that made the fountains at the Bellagio in Vegas. Hit it up fo sure.

• Music