New York Aquarium, Brooklyn

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

New York Aquarium

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 10, 2008

Colorful tank and fish

As a child I remember my parents taking us to the aquarium at least once every summer, usually after a few hours of spending time in Coney Island.

I recall that my mom would go nuts looking for me as I would run off ahead of them to see my favorite exhibit here at the aquarium. Mom always knew where to find me. I would love to spend hours just looking at the dolphins (sadly, they no longer have them at the aquarium). I loved the way they would swim, they seemed so smart and full of energy and life. I loved the dolphins so much that they were the subject of every single piece of art I did during my drawing days….

As a mother I took my daughter to the aquarium various times in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I’ve witnessed the aquarium go through many of its changes and loose so much of what made it a great place to take your children.

I’ve recently returned to the aquarium because I’ve been missing my mother terribly and wanted to relive some childhood memories. Sadly, the aquarium isn’t quite like I had remembered it during my childhood visits. The dolphins are no longer part of the aquarium and not even the beautiful beluga whales. This was quite disappointing.

There are a few large mammals, like a female walrus with a baby, but sadly, a few weeks before my visit the male walrus died of an unknown illness. You will find a few exhibits with seals, otters and penguins. The outdoor exhibits have enclosures with a mesh netting (strange) and during my visit I couldn’t see any of the animals from the above exhibits (but were visible from the tanks below).

There is also a shark exhibit which is a favorite among young and old, but the hammerhead sharks and the divers who would feed them of years ago are gone. There are other exhibits with beautiful colorful fish, sea creatures, eels, etc. here at the aquarium.

It was really sad to see the state the aquarium is in. Although not dirty, it gave me a sense of untidiness or that there is very little up keep.

Admission Fee (this is the limited and does not include the Deep Sea 3D:
    $13 Adults, $10 for Seniors over 65, $9 children 3-12, $6 for groups. Children under 2 are free

Deep Sea 3D is $6 ($4 for members)
    Combo entrance (includes general admission and the Deep Sea 3D) $17 for Adults, $13 for childre and $14 for seniors

There is also a Friday afternoon special as follows:
    3:00 p.m. until closing is pay-what-you-wish. Suggested donation is $13 for adults, $9 for children, and $10 for seniors.

Operating Hours:

Summer hours and rates are in effect May 24–Sept. 4, 2008.
    Monday–Friday, 10am–6pm, weekends & holidays, 10am–7pm

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

NOT MY FAVORITE AQUARIUM, BUT CUTE

by moiraistyx Updated Sep 3, 2006

A SCHOOL OF FISH

I had high hopes for what I believe is the only aquarium in New York, but I was definately disappointed with this aquarium. The aquarium opens daily at 10:00 AM, however closing time varies between 4:30 and 7:00 depending on the season and day of the week. Admission is $12.00 for an adult and $8.00 for children 2-13 and seniors. The New York Aquarium is part of the Wildlife Conservation Society's (WCS) membership, so admission is free if you are a member. Parking is $10.00 for everybody.

I was impressed with the jellyfish exhibits in the ALIEN STINGERS display. I was very disappointed with the shark display, basically it was a stingray and a handful of nurse sharks with a giant turtle thrown in. We were lucky that the Walruses, Sea Lions, Sea Otters and Fur Seals were all being very playful when we were there. I tried to take pictures, however the lighting and the display quality wasn't very condusive to doing so. They have a couple of Touch Pools, however only one was open on the day we went. Basically it had two horse shoe crabs and three sea stars for the children to check out. The aquarium has Sea Lion shows three times a day 11:45, 1:45 and 4:00. Supposedly there are penguins here, but we didn't see a single one. There are two gift shops at either end of the facility and a snack bar.

One great thing about the aquarium is that it is located smack in the middle of Brooklyn's Coney Island, so when you are done here, hop on over to Astroland and ride the world famous Cyclon.

One more note, go to the bathroom before you get here, the bathroom were absolutely disgusting and most of the toilets weren't flushing the day we went. YUCK, YUCK YUCK.

• Aquarium

• saw50st8's Profile Photo

Aquarium

by saw50st8 Written Jul 11, 2006

If you are in Brooklyn, visit the aquarium. There are so many different things to see including sea lions, walruses, penguins and many other things! They have shows and different activities for kids. When I was there with my neice, she made a very cute hat with animals all over it (she is 3). They also have an area to pet different animals, which was a delight to both me and my neice! The aquarium is located right by the boardwalk and beaches, so its a nice stop during the hot midday sun.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Indoor/Outdoor Aquarium Fun

by TempNomad Written Oct 10, 2005

A fabulous, brief, fun show.

I went to the NY Aquarium for the first time and LOVED it. What a great place. It's run in conjunction with the Conservation Society, and the pools and aquariums look very well tended. Lots of great educational information is available, and just as many adults were trying to get close to the rails and glass to see what was going on.

Don't miss the Walrus exhibit, and make sure to leave time to visit the Sea Lion show (it's a 20 minute commitment). If you sit in the first rows you can get a kiss from the sea lions.

It's a must see, for sure.

The $12 adult fee and the $8 child fee will buy a couple of hours of joy for everyone. Children under two are free. Senior citizens are $8. A family membership includes the Bronx, Central Park and Prospect Park Zoos.

• Aquarium

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

New York Aquarium

by Bilimari Written Jul 12, 2005

It's a small aquarium, and it takes about 1 hour or so to go through everything, but they have quite to offer from Jerry-fish to Walrus!

While it may not be the reason for you to come to Coney Island, this is a good addition to your day trip activities.

Admission: $11.00/adult (as of July 2005)

Instant Answers: Brooklyn

Comments

Hotels Near New York Aquarium
68 Opinions